04.04 Episode 70 (#6704)
Airdate: July 21, 2000
Shan'auc, a Jaffa priestess of Chulak, is sent to the SGC on behalf of Bra'tac. She brings important news, and explains that she believes she has found a way to communicate with her symbiote. In a deep state of kelno'reem, she and her symbiote have shared images and feelings, and she is convinced that she has turned it against the evil ways of the Goa'uld. Her symbiote is willing to share all its knowledge with the Tok'ra, and Shan'auc has come seeking the SGC's help to find a willing Tok'ra host.
Teal'c is skeptical of Shan'auc's claims. However, Shan'auc is an old acquaintance, someone he has known for many years on Chulak, and the two of them still share an affection for one another. Teal'c attempts to test her theory by entering a deep state of kelno'reem, and he, too, shares primitive images with his own symbiote, images of evil and the death of his own father at the hands of Cronus. Convinced that Shan'auc may indeed have found a new way to defeat the Goa'uld, Teal'c promises his support.
The Tok'ra agree to help Shan'auc, and a willing host is found for her symbiote. The transference takes place, and the symbiote, Tanith, pledges his allegiance to the Tok'ra. However, once Tanith has taken a host, his deception becomes clear. Shan'auc is found murdered at Tanith's hands, and Teal'c vows revenge. Returning to Vorash to confront Tanith, SG-1 demands justice, but the Tok'ra have a different solution. They see the value in protecting Tanith, and using him instead as an unwitting counterspy.
Written by: Katharyn Powers
Directed by: Peter DeLuise
Guest Starring: Vanessa Angel as Anise/Freya, Musetta Vander as Shan'auc, Peter Wingfield as Tanith/Hebron, Gary Jones as Technician, Teryl Rothery as Dr. Fraiser, Ron Hadler as Cronus, Sean Millington as Ronac
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- Shan'auc of the Red Hills had known Teal'c since before she became a priestess of the temple in worship of the Goa'uld. Now believing that the Goa'uld are false gods, she was sent to Earth by Bra'tac.
- A Jaffa's symbiote acts as an internal organ as a function of the body's immune system. There is an exchange of hormones and electrical impulses on a completely unconscious level.
- In the deepest state of kelno'reem, the heart beats so slowly it may stop. The practice is forbidden. In this state, some communication with the symbiote, in the form of primitive images, can be achieved. The symbiote is only fully capable of communication once it takes a host, which is its primal instinctual behavior.
- The Great Queen Egeria, Roman goddess of fountains and of childbirth, was an advisor to Numa Pompilius, a legendary ruler. She broke from the Goa'uld over 2000 years ago and came to Earth to stop the Goa'uld from taking humans as slaves. She founded the Tok'ra movement through her offspring before being killed by Ra. Tok'ra numbers have diminished over the years because of a lack of hosts. There are no Jaffa within the Tok'ra ranks.
- Both the Goa'uld and the Tok'ra are parasitical beings who pass on knowledge through genetic memory. The majority of the Tok'ra left the gene pool over 2000 year ago, thus the knowledge of the Goa'uld is still very valuable.
- Teal'c's father, Ronac, was killed by Cronus in a slow and painful death in which his symbiote was crushed in such a way to allow its blood to mix with his own.
- Hebron of Paraval volunteered as a Tok'ra host for Tanith, knowing that he may be used as a counterspy for the dissemination of disinformation.
- Chulak expressions:
Tal ma'te: expression of greeting
Tal met. Priem ta shree, tal ma: Our love does not end in death.
- Bra'tac, you've done something with your hair. [O'Neill]
- She's a temple priestess. So, they don't do a lot of dating. [Daniel]
Maybe not, but there was some serious sparkage when she arrived. [O'Neill]
- Your father asked that I shake your hand, and give Colonel O'Neill a big kiss from him. [Anise]
That might have been the other way around. [Carter]
- You know, this whole talking to two people in one body thing really sucks! [O'Neill]
FOR THE RECORD
- Peter DeLuise cameo: Tok'ra knocked down by Teal'c