06.11 Episode 121 (#P664)
Airdate: August 23, 2002
A reporter approaches Carter for a statement regarding a story she intends to run about the highly classified Prometheus Project. As SG-1 tries to find the information leak, it is decided that the best compromise is to allow the reporter and her team exclusive access in exchange for sharing her source and waiting to run the story. Carter and Jonas escort the news team to Prometheus, which turns out to be the code name for the new prototype X-303 spacecraft. However, it soon becomes apparent that the camera crew are rogue NID agents who are part of a plot to hijack the X-303.
Carter is ambushed by the hijackers and trapped in a storage area as the ship's systems come online. The hijackers demand the release of Colonel Simmons and Adrian Conrad, and threaten to destroy the ship unless their terms are met. Simmons and Conrad are allowed to board the ship and Prometheus launches into orbit. As Carter escapes and attempts to sabotage the ship from within, O'Neill and Teal'c use a death glider to come aboard. As a Goa'uld, Conrad has the knowledge to correct the error in the hyperdrive system, and with the system online, the ship enters hyperspace, bound for an unknown destination.
Simmons gains the upper hand in a confrontation with Conrad, and kills him. However, the Goa'uld within Conrad takes Simmons as his new host. Simmons then faces O'Neill and Teal'c, and as they struggle, O'Neill opens an airlock, sucking Simmons from the ship to die in space. The X-303 comes out of hyperspace, but with no familiar reference point, Carter is unable to plot a course for home. Suddenly, Thor transports aboard the ship, but he has not come to rescue them. He brings word that the Asgard homeworld has been overrun by Replicators, and SG-1 may be their only hope of salvation.
Written by: Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie
Directed by: Peter Woeste
Guest Starring: George Wyner as Al Martell, Ian Tracey as Smith, Kendall Cross as Julia Donovan, Colin Cunningham as Major Paul Davis, Enid-Raye Adams as Jones, John de Lancie as Colonel Frank Simmons, Bill Marchant as Adrian Conrad, Jason Gaffney as Sanderson, Catherine Lough Haggquist as Technical Sergeant, Kyle Cassie as Reynolds, Todd Hann as SF Sergeant Gibson, Colby Johannson as SF Sergeant Finney, Michael Shanks as Voice of Thor
Reference: Area 51, Asgard, Asgard Mothership, Asgard Transport Beam, BC-303, Colorado Springs, Adrian Conrad, Paul Davis, Julia Donovan, Inside Access, Jones, Al Martell, NID, NID Off-World Operation, NID Rogue Operation, Prometheus, Frank Simmons, Smith, Thor, X-303
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- When Maybourne was running the off-world operation, a tablet written in the language of the Ancients was found describing a large cache of weapons and technology hidden in a secret location. The Goa'uld in Adrian Conrad was enlisted to translate the coordinates to the planet, but when the Prometheus was hijacked to travel there, no planet was found.
- Prometheus is the name given to the X-303, the third in a series of designs that incorporates both human and alien technology. It was constructed in a top-secret facility in Nevada. The cover story is that all key systems were reverse-engineered from a ship that crashed a hundred miles north of Fairbanks, Alaska in 1978. The ship will be capable of reaching orbit in under 30 seconds, sub-light engines can accelerate to 110,000 miles per second, and the naquadria-powered hyperdrive is capable of interstellar travel.
- The four hijackers were Smith, Jones, Sanderson, and Reynolds. They had been working at the network for over a year. A background check revealed that Smith was a decorated Marine in Somalia.
- Colonel Frank Simmons and Adrian Conrad had been prisoners until their release.
- The Asgard monitor all hyperspace activity in the vicinity of Earth. Thor has been returned to a new clone body. The Asgard homeworld has been overrun by Replicators.
- Jonas is familiar with the function and controls of the X-303 systems.
- Julia Donovan is an investigative reporter for Inside Access.
- Major Davis's first name is Paul.
- The ship is estimated to be at least 1200 light years from Earth.
- Spare me the supervillain riff. We're on the clock here. [Simmons]