THE FIRST ONES
04.08 Episode 74 (#6706)
Airdate: August 18, 2000
During an archaeological dig with SG-11 on P3X-888, Daniel Jackson and his associate Robert Rothman discover the remains of an ancient predatory Goa'uld symbiote. The planet is the original home world of the primordial Goa'uld and the aboriginal Unas race they eventually took as hosts. Suddenly, an Unas enters the dig site and attacks the team, capturing Daniel and dragging him deep into the wilderness. Rothman brings word back to the SGC, and O'Neill heads a joint rescue mission to the planet.
The rescue team arrives to find that only Major Hawkins of SG-11 has survived, and the primitive Unas are not the planet's only threat. The rivers are teeming with Goa'uld symbiotes, and the team fears that any one of them could have been secretly taken as a Goa'uld host. Unknown to them, their fears are justified, and in fact two of them have already been victims of the Goa'uld. Both Hawkins and Rothman have unwittingly become hosts, and both are killed when they turn against the other team members.
Meanwhile, Daniel is dragged further into the wilderness. As he struggles to communicate with his captor in the creature's primitive language, he comes to understand that the young Unas, named Chaka, has captured him as part of a right of passage. Slowly they begin to form the bonds of understanding and trust as Daniel tries to negotiate for his freedom. When the rescue team finally reaches Daniel, they witness a confrontation between Chaka and the Unas leader, a battle in which Chaka protects Daniel, and finally allows him to go free.
Written by: Peter DeLuise
Directed by: Peter DeLuise
Guest Starring: Dion Johnstone as Chaka, Jason Schombing as Dr. Robert Rothman, Vincent Hammond as Unas, Gary Jones as Technician, Barry Levy as Major Hawkins, Steve Bacic as Major Coburn, Russell Ferrier as Captain Griff, Rob Lee as Pierce
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- Daniel joined SG-11 for an archaeological survey of P3X-888. He theorized that this was the planet from which the primordial Goa'uld originated, that they were predators rather than parasites, and that they evolved for millions of years in the prehistoric oceans before taking on hosts. Those who took on hosts learned to use the stargate and left the planet. The aboriginal Unas who stayed behind took refuge in the caves for protection against blending.
- No traces of naquadah were found in the Goa'uld fossils, suggesting that it became part of their makeup later in their evolution.
- Members of SG-11 archaeological team: Major Hawkins (taken as a host and killed), Loder (killed by the Unas), Sanchez (killed), Robert Rothman (taken as a host and killed). Members of SG-2 joining SG-1 for search and rescue: Major Coburn, Captain Griff, Pierce.
- The Unas have green blood. The blood of the Goa'uld is blue.
- Symbiotes can't blend with a Jaffa.
- Language of the Unas:
- Cha a'ka: used in various contexts and chants, also apparently referring to the Unas
- Shesh: call of question or alarm
- Keka: kill/dead
- Ka: no
- Nan: eat
- Calling to the UAV: A keka! Shesh! Cha a'ka keka!
- Responding to the cave drawings: Wok tah!
- Confronting the adult: Ka! Ka keka! Tak! Cha a'ka ska nat. Cha a'ka.
Cho' ee' che! Cho Cha a'ka! Ka nan!
- This is a radio. It's so my friends can find me, and shoot you. [Daniel]
- You know, if I am the main course, I'd rather you fill up on the appetizers. [Daniel]
- Now, don't say "ka" til you've tried it. [Daniel]
- This is funny. I met my father-in-law like this. [Daniel]
- Trust in me, O'Neill. [Teal'c]
What if I'm not O'Neill? [O'Neill]
Then I was not talking to you. [Teal'c]
- I want to go home. I mean, don't get me wrong, it has been a hoot, but I did just pass up a chance to kill you... [Daniel]
- All right, anybody with a snake in their head, raise their hand. ...Damn. [O'Neill]
- "This way." [Teal'c]
You're good. [O'Neill]
FOR THE RECORD
- Daniel: knocked out and kidnapped by the Unas