03.21 Episode 65 (#6523)
Airdate: March 3, 2000
A vast Mayan pyramid on P7X-377 contains a strange crystal skull, identical to one found by Daniel's grandfather, Nicholas Ballard, years before. Ballard claimed the skull transported him to see aliens, but was laughed out of academia. When SG-1 investigates, the skull emits an energy which renders Daniel invisible to the others. SG-1 seeks out Ballard, hoping he is the key to finding Daniel, and together they return to the planet. This time, Quetzalcoatl, a giant ghostly alien, rises from the mist. He invites Ballard to remain behind to study, and gives the others the way to return home.
Story by: Michael Greenburg and Jarrad Paul
Teleplay by: Brad Wright
Directed by: Brad Turner
Guest Starring: Jan Rubes as Nicholas Ballard, Teryl Rothery as Dr. Fraiser, Jason Schombing as Robert Rothman, Dan Shea as Sergeant Siler, Russell Roberts as Psychiatrist, Jacquie Janzen as Nurse, Daniel Bacon as Technician, Tracy Westerholm as Surveillance SF, Christopher Judge as the voice of Quetzalcoatl
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- The pyramid on P7X-377 is of Mayan design and over 1000 meters high. Readings within the pyramid indicate high, potentially lethal levels of muon radiation. The indication of leptons suggests that some material inside is slowing down neutrinos, which ordinarily pass through ordinary matter. Such a material could change our understanding of physics.
- Daniel's parents both died when he was eight. His grandfather, Nicholas Ballard, chose not to adopt him, and followed his career as an archaeologist instead.
- Nicholas Ballard found a crystal skull in 1971 in Belize in a temple which collapsed and disappeared after its discovery. He was driven out of the academic community because of his theory that if one were to look into the eyes of the skull, one would be teleported to see giant aliens. He had a severe mental breakdown and checked himself into a psychiatric institution in Oregon 20 years ago where Daniel visited him regularly until four years ago when they had a falling out just before he joined the SGC. The skull from Belize is now in the Smithsonian.
- Hammond's granddaughters are Tessa (the older) and Kayla, who recently lost a tooth.
- The giant alien gave his name as "Quetzalcoatl" and spoke in Mayan: "Uy ah ual ing ual ing wetail" meaning "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." The aliens are enemies of the Goa'uld, and welcomed Nicholas Ballard to remain with them.
- Normally neutrinos pass right through ordinary matter, no matter how dense. I mean, something like 500 million billion just passed through you. [Carter]
"No matter how dense?" [O'Neill]
- Hey, if you had been listening, you'd know that Nintendos pass through everything. [O'Neill]
- And if this thing zaps you to wherever it sent Dr. Jackson? [Hammond]
Then I will have succeeded in locating him. [Teal'c]
- Napoleonic power-monger. [O'Neill]
- Dr. Fraiser believes you are not strong enough to undertake such a mission. [Teal'c]
Yeah, whatever... [O'Neill]
Dr. Fraiser is usually correct in such matters. [Teal'c]
Thank you. [O'Neill]
You are welcome, O'Neill. [Teal'c]
- Can you imagine what it feels like to go on the most incredible journey of your life, and have no one believe you? [Nicholas Ballard]
- Whatever happened to working through the night?? I'd do it for you... [Daniel]
- No no no no no Nick! Nick, I'm real! I'm real! You're not hallucinating! [Daniel]
Hallucinations always say that. [Nicholas Ballard]
- Daniel is here. Standing right beside me. [Nicholas Ballard]
He's lost a few pounds. [O'Neill]
Jack, don't be an ass. [Daniel/Nicholas Ballard]
- Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle! [O'Neill]
FOR THE RECORD
- Teal'c saved by his symbiote: reduced effects from the radiation
- O'Neill, Carter, Teal'c: ill from the effects of muon radiation
- O'Neill, Carter, Daniel: teleported to a dimension of invisibility
- Popular Culture References:
- Rocky and Bullwinkle
- Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!
- Rocky and Bullwinkle