08.03 Episode 157
Airdate: July 23, 2004
Cosmonaut Anatole Konstantinov pilots the International Space Station as a shadowy black cloud emerges from space debris and enters the craft. Alexi Vaselov, a highly decorated Russian officer, arrives at the SGC, hoping for a position on SG-1, but while speaking with Daniel he mysteriously collapses. Dr. Brightman suspects a contagion, and O'Neill shuts down the gate, preventing Daniel and his team from departing. However Daniel suddenly becomes violent, demanding that the gate be activated, and he wounds two airmen before being shot himself. Daniel, Vaselov, and Konstantinov exhibit similar symptoms, and O'Neill initiates security precautions. The SGC is under lockdown.
Both Daniel and Vaselov recall vague flashes of memory as if an alien presence had taken control of their bodies, and it is Daniel's memories that provide the key to identifying the intruder. The non-corporeal entity of Anubis had survived the battle over Antarctica and is now taking hosts in an attempt to escape from Earth. The shapeless entity continues to move among SGC personnel before finally retreating into the walls of the facility, and although the hosts he claims are left unharmed, Vaselov's condition continues to deteriorate due to the length of his exposure. He is not expected to survive.
SG-1 establishes security zones within the base that will prevent Anubis from escaping through the gate and will force him to risk using his ascended powers, revealing himself to the Others. Anubis makes his move, first entering Carter to override the security protocols, then taking O'Neill as a host to escape through the gate. However Vaselov, aware of his terminal condition, sacrifices himself and demands that Anubis take him as a host instead. Anubis obliges and escapes through the stargate, however Carter had altered the dialing sequence, sending him to an unexpected destination, the barren, frozen wasteland of KS7-353.
Written by: Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie
Directed by: Will Waring
Guest Starring: Gavin Hood as Colonel Alexi Vaselov, Alisen Down as Dr. Brightman, Aaron Pearl as Major Kearney, Arvydas Lebeliunas as Anatole Konstantinov, Natalia Vasiluk as Natalia, Holly Ferguson as Lieutenant Evans, Dan Shea as Sergeant Siler
Reference: Anubis, Autodestruct Sequence, Dr. Brightman, Lieutenant Evans, International Space Station, Major Kearney, Anatole Konstantinov, KS7-535, Malcolm McCaffrey, Natalia, Russians, Security Lockdown, Sergeant Siler, Alexi Vaselov
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- The physical form Anubis had taken was actually a force shield designed to contain his essence. Following his destruction over Antarctica, his essence was released. Using his ascended powers would alert the Ancients and bring down their wrath upon him. He needs a body to dial the stargate and escape.
- Anubis survived within space debris before entering Anatole Konstantinov aboard the International Space Station, followed by Alexi Vaselov, Daniel, Lieutenant Evans, Airman Malcolm McCaffrey, Carter, O'Neill, and Vaselov.
- Retaining Anubis's essense exacts a physical toll on the carrier, with symptoms including loss of memory, skin lesions, and highly elevated white blood count. Prolonged exposure destroys the immune system.
- Colonel Alexi Vaselov is one of the most highly decorated officers in Russian military history. He has had many years of service in the Russian Air Force, over 20 years of flight experience, over 3000 flight hours on more than 35 types of aircraft and prototypes, and has been awarded the High Order of Russia. Anatole Konstantinov and Alexi Vaselov had served together in the Russian Air Force.
- Anubis and Vaselov are sent to KS7-535. Chilly.
- Daniel speaks Russian. He had helped to broker the deal for the stargate between the US and Russia.
- There is nothing in the regulations that says an SG team has to be made up of four people.
- Daniel was scheduled to go offworld with SG-11 when the gate was shut down.
- Teal'c expects to acquire possession of his first apartment on Tuesday, with an apartment-warming party to follow on Saturday.
- Oy, one crisis after another. This morning the mess got a shipment of Yukon Gold potatoes instead of the usual Russets. Oh yes. The Golds don't make for a good mash. The consistency's all wrong. [O'Neill]
I hear the new Russian colonel came to see you, made a pitch to join SG-1. [Carter]
What did you say? [Daniel]
I told them to make French fries instead. [O'Neill]
- His attitude has nothing to do with your being Russian. He's an equal opportunity offender. [Daniel]
- Did you notice anything peculiar about him, sir? [Carter]
I thought it odd he was shooting up the gateroom. [O'Neill]
- You have no recollection of the incident? [Teal'c]
No, who shot me?! [Daniel]
Don't... change the subject. [O'Neill]
- You'd think getting blasted out of orbit would have slowed the guy down. [O'Neill]
- Why doesn't he just use his... freaky super-cosmic powers and just... go? [O'Neill]
- Yeah, Dr. Brightman caught me stealing jell-o from the other patients' trays, so she kicked me out of here. [Daniel]
- "The cord may curl long, but an end will appear." That holds true for everything in this world, myself included. I accept this. [Vaselov]
"In the kingdom of hope, there is no winter." I prefer that one. [Daniel]
- You're not supposed to be walking around. [O'Neill]
It's my arm. [Daniel]
You were shot. [O'Neill]
I know. You shot me. [Daniel]
Not the point. [O'Neill]
- I'm okay...ish. [O'Neill]
FOR THE RECORD
- Oy: 1
- O'Neill: possessed by Anubis
- Carter: possessed by Anubis, zatted by O'Neill
- Daniel: possessed by Anubis, zatted by Teal'c, shot in the left shoulder by O'Neill, zatted by Carter