07.07 Episode 139 (#P273)
Airdate: July 25, 2003
Colonel Edwards commands the geological exploration of P3X-403 where significant deposits of naquadah have been discovered. However, when Lieutenant Ritter disappears, SG-1 and SG-3 are sent to aid in search and rescue. Daniel examines artifacts that suggest the planet was once populated by Unas enslaved by the Goa'uld, and when Ritter's body is discovered, brutally killed and strung up in a sacrificial display, it becomes apparent that Unas remain on the planet, and see the humans as intruders. Edwards and Daniel clash over the handling of the situation, and a skirmish between SG teams and Unas brings more casualties on both sides.
At the SGC, General Vidrine agrees to authorize Daniel's proposal to negotiate with the native Unas with the help of Chaka, the Unas from P3X-888. He insists, however, that if Daniel cannot reach a settlement, the Unas will be forcibly removed. As darkness falls on the planet, Daniel and Chaka are approached by the Unas leader, who calls himself Iron Shirt. Through primitive communication, Daniel learns that the naquadah mine rests on sacred land. Uneasy negotiations proceed, but when a soldier mistakenly kills another Unas in the forest, violence erupts again. Hundreds of Unas converge and surround the SGC encampment.
Iron Shirt approaches the humans alone, and Daniel urges Edwards to save his people by showing respect and bowing in submission. Hopelessly outnumbered, Edwards reluctantly agrees, and orders his men to kneel. Iron Shirt is appeased, and agrees to negotiate a compromise. To prevent the desecration of their sacred ground, the Unas will work the mine themselves and turn the naquadah over to the SGC. In doing so, they will assist the humans in defeating the Goa'uld and bring honor to their dead. Edwards grudgingly admits that O'Neill was right about Daniel. He is a pain in the ass, but worth it.
Written by: Peter DeLuise
Directed by: Peter DeLuise
Guest Starring: Michael Rooker as Colonel Edwards, Steven Williams as General Vidrine, Alex Zahara as Iron Shirt, Kavan Smith as Major Lorne, Patrick Currie as Chaka, Gary Jones as Technician, Michael Shore as Lieutenant Menard, Dean Redman as Lieutenant Woeste, Kirk Caouette as Lieutenant Ritter, Sean Tyson as Unas, Wycliff Hartwig as Unas
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- Chaka continues to live on the planet where he led an Unas uprising, then brokered a truce which established a fragile but successful peace between the humans and the Unas who were formerly their slaves.
- The Unas of P3X-403 were formerly slaves of the Goa'uld. Their ancestors had been worked to death in the naquadah mines, now sacred ground.
- Resonance scans of P3X-403 reveal a deposit of 53,000 metric tons of naquadah.
- The experimental X-302 is now Fighter F-302.
- The experimental X-303 is now Battle Cruiser BC-303.
- General Vidrine at the Pentagon has been put in charge of BC-303 production which requires vast naquadah resources.
- Colonel Edwards commands SG-11 with Major Lorne, Lieutenant Menard, and Lieutenant Ritter (killed in action).
- Other SG teams on the planet include SG-3, SG-12 and SG-17.
- "Kor Asek" translates as "Iron Shirt". Iron Shirt claims that 44 Unas tribes live on P3X-403.
- Unas Language:
- Ka - no, not
- Ka keka! - don't kill, unarmed
- Ska nat - preserve life
- A cha'aka - greeting, hello, also a chant
- Aka - thank you
- Ka cha - go, journey
- Kel - question word
- Nok - now
- Ka nok - not now, later
- Ma kan - agreement
- Kel nok ma kan ska nat? - How long will the peace agreement take?
- Nok. Ka nok. - It will take as long as it takes.
- Zo - respected leader, alpha male
- Ka nay - friend
- Ko - give, take
- Nan - food, eat
- 'Uman - human
- Onac - Goa'uld, enemy
- 'Uman ko keka onac. Unas ko keka onac. - Humans and Unas fight a common enemy, the Goa'uld.
- 'Uman ko nan Unas - The humans will give food to the Unas.
- Kada - naquadah
- 'Uman ko kada tonok tok onac. - Humans take naquadah to fight against the Goa'uld.
- Kekata - staff weapon
- No na - home
- Ka no na - not home, somwhere else
- 'Uman ko ka cha Unas ka no na. - Humans will send the Unas on a journey away from home (relocate).
- Tok - fight, resist
- Ka naya - tribe, clan
- Soseka - 44
- Lota - wait
- 'Uman a te a ka naya - Humans and you are of the same tribe.
- A ka naya ko keka onac. - Together we can bring death to the Goa'uld.
- Tak - trick
- Benna - surrender
- Daniel, go to your happy place. [O'Neill]
- Is he always like this? [Edwards]
Yeah, pretty much. [O'Neill]
- I just spent a lot of time breaking you in, I just didn't want to have to start with a new colonel. [Daniel]
- O'Neill was right about you. You are a pain in the ass... But well worth it. [Edwards]
FOR THE RECORD
- Lieutenants Menard and Woeste named for SG-1 directors of photography
- Lieutenant Ritter named for RDA/SG-1 webmaster
- Siler's injury du jour: seen in the infirmary in a neck and body brace
- O'Neill: injured right shoulder in a fall during the attack
- Popular Culture References:
- Eveready Batteries
- It just keeps going and going.
- 21 Jump Street
- Hanson and Penhall
- Eveready Batteries