05.03 Episode 91 (#4957)
Airdate: July 13, 2001
On Velona, SG-1 finds a deserted world and the ruins of an ancient civilization. As Carter begins to examine an unusual alien device, she inexplicably passes out, and is ordered to take some time to rest. At home she is confronted by an enigmatic young man who is able to pass through solid objects and who explains that he is Orlin, from Velona. He exists in a non-corporeal state, and has followed Carter back through the gate, professing his love for her. Surveillance cameras are set up at Carter's home, but because Orlin appears only to Carter, the others are doubtful that the alien exists.
At the SGC, Colonel Simmons has arrived from the Pentagon to demand testing of the alien device on Velona, which has been determined to be a weapon of great power. Orlin takes human form in an attempt to remain close to Carter, but he warns her against testing the weapon. He had been banished by the Others of his race for breaking their most sacred rule. He had helped the people of Velona to build the advanced weapon for self-defense, but their use of the device for conquest led to their destruction by the Others. Now SG-1 is about to repeat their mistake.
As SG-16 prepares to power the alien device on Velona for testing, Simmons continues unauthorized surveillance of Orlin, whom he is determined to take into custody. In an attempt to prevent further destruction, Orlin builds a small working model of a stargate in Carter's garage, and uses it to escape to Velona. However, SG-16 prevents him from deactivating the device, and he is mortally wounded. As his spirit fades, the Others grant him a second chance. He is allowed to ascend once again, and as he returns to his non-corporeal form, he carries the weapon away moments before its detonation.
Written by: Robert C. Cooper
Directed by: Martin Wood
Guest Starring: Sean Patrick Flanery as Orlin, John de Lancie as Colonel Frank Simmons, Teryl Rothery as Dr. Fraiser, Ben Wilkinson as O'Brien, Eric Breker as Colonel Reynolds, Rob Fournier as Special Forces Commander
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- Colonel Frank Simmons is from the Pentagon.
- Colonel Reynolds was transferred from Area 51, and led SG-16 during the long-term analysis of P4X-636 and the testing of the alien weapon. The power core had been removed, but a naquadah reactor was used to replace it.
- The civilization of Velona may be 3000 years old, but the weapon device dates back about 400 years. The inhabitants of Velona had a similar technological development to Earth until faced with an attack from the Goa'uld. Orlin communicated to them the knowledge for building a weapon with which they defeated the Goa'uld, but when they began to use the weapon for conquest, the Others destroyed the civilization to prevent a disaster.
- Orlin is one of the "Others", the same race as Oma Desala. The most sacred rule of the Others is not to accelerate the natural ascension process of those beneath. For breaking this rule, both Orlin and Oma Desala had been banished. The Others began as humans, but learned to ascend to a different plane of existence in which they can become invisible in their noncorporeal state. They can retake human form, but cannot ascend again without the help of the Others. Orlin was banished alone on Velona for hundreds of years, but for preventing SG-16 from testing the weapon, he was given another chance by the Others, and allowed to ascend again.
- It is possible to build a small simple stargate that will dial only once, using materials available online, including 100 pounds of pure raw titanium, 200 feet of fiber-optic cable, seven 100,000-watt industrial-strength capacitors - and a toaster.
- O'Neill has never seen Star Wars.
- Carter's birthday is in May, with a birthstone of emerald.
- Well, days, weeks, months, maybe, of meticulous, tedious, boring tediousness. I mean... but, uh... I can just keep working now. By lunch, at least... [Daniel]
- Make sure you come back if you start speaking an alien language. [Dr. Fraiser]
- Tense? Me? I'm not tense. Am I? When did you first notice? [Carter]
As we met. [O'Neill]
- Well, find something. Take up... golf. Fly a kite, knit something. [O'Neill]
- Oh, yes... um, yeah. I'm almost done. It miraculously seems to hold the key to all the mysteries of the universe. [Daniel]
- Do you believe Major Carter has become mentally unstable? [Teal'c]
No more than the rest of us. [O'Neill]
- It is a weapon of great power, O'Neill. [Teal'c]
Big and honkin'. [O'Neill]
- I gotta pee. [O'Neill]
- Star Wars. [Teal'c]
He's seen it, what, eight times? [O'Neill]
Nine times. If Teal'c likes it, it's got to be okay. [O'Neill]
You've never seen Star Wars? [Carter]
Well, you know me and sci-fi. [O'Neill]
- I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-o. [Teal'c]
Call Daniel. [O'Neill]
- Need I remind you, Dr. Jackson, of the dangers that we're trying to defend Earth against? [Col. Simmons]
Oh, could you? I mean, go slow. [Daniel]
- You wouldn't believe the things that you can make from the common simple items lying around your planet... Which reminds me, you're going to need a new microwave. [Orlin]
- Sorry, but you're going to have a pretty big credit card bill this month. Oh, and you're going to need a new toaster. [Orlin]
FOR THE RECORD
- Carter: blacked out after an "exchange of spirit" with Orlin
- Popular Culture References:
- Star Wars
- You've never seen Star Wars? Well, you know me and sci-fi.
- In the style of MacGyver
- You wouldn't believe the things that you can make from the common simple items lying around your planet.
- Star Wars