RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WEBSITE UPGRADE - PLEASE READ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KateR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: WEBSITE UPGRADE - PLEASE READ Reply with quote

My ISP informs me that the system hosting this website is badly outdated and should receive an upgrade for several operating systems. They are offering to do this automatically, but it could require downtime of 6-12 hours, assuming that all goes well.

Most of the website should not be affected by this upgrade, however, the two features that use PHP (the Forum and the Fan Mail) would be made obsolete by the upgrade and may no longer function once it is completed.

I will be able to install a new (different) guestbook system to continue the Fan Mail, however I need to make a decision about the Forum.

The current Forum will not likely be compatible with the newer system, it is no longer upgradeable, and even though I have saved a backup copy of all the files, I doubt they will import into a new system. So if there is something that you wish to save, I encourage you to do it in the next few days, in case the Forum becomes inaccessible after the upgrade.

It will be possible to install a new Forum, once the upgrade is complete, however the conversation has been very slow in the last few months, even though the statistics indicate that several thousand people still visit and lurk each day. If there is really limited interest in discussion, now that RDA has slipped into retirement, I can simply retire the Forum as well.

I'm just making this announcement now so that people don't panic if the website suddenly disappears for a few hours, and so that people can have time to save things from the Forum that may be lost. I'm asking the ISP to hold off on the upgrade until after the weekend. Hopefully by then the decisions and the proper backups will be in place.

Thanks,

Kate
Star Gazer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate: If you are taking a poll, my vote is to keep the forum. While it is an excellent resource for news of RDA, if is an equally excellent social outlet for people who share a common interest, but who also like to explore other things they have in common. I'm certain the others will agree with me; however, the question is this: Are you still interested in administering and maintaining the website and forum? You are the one who makes all of this possible and you have certainly put in a great deal of time and effort for our benefit. So, while we certainly appreciate your efforts and hope to conitnue as before, we would also certainly understand if you find that you need to step away from things. Also, if it is of concern to you, we've all noticed that there has been less "chatter" in the forum for the past couple of weeks, but that may have more to do with spring fever than anything else. Whatever you decide, please know that your efforts are always appreciated! Very Happy
Firefly74

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate.
I'm in agreement with Star Gazer.
The forum is slow at the moment, but that may change (especially with the cons to come).
My English is so rusty at the moment, it's difficult to explain my opinion in detail. Basically Star Gazer said it all! Smile
yolie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Thanks Kate for update Reply with quote

Thanks Kate please continue with the forum if possible, I really enjoy all the efforts and time and work to keep us informed of Rick. I too feel there is a common bond. When people share photos of Rick where ever he goes, I feel so much better that he is continuing to be active and doing good.
Let us know if and when we can log on to a new website.
Caty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kate,

I also agree with stargazer.
We all appreciate the work you did with this webside and I can imagine, it takes a lot of time.

But please, please, please leave the forum online! Maybe a new one but I found something like home here! I love this forum!

If we can help you with the work, I volunteer. I'm here every day at least one time so if you need help, just call me.
I really don't want to loose this contact, the forum offers to me.
But I don't want to push you, really. If you think it is too much afford for a few posts here the close it. But I'm sure there will be times, when there is much more traffic here. And there are many guests visiting without logging in.

Anyway, thank you for this webside Kate, forum or no forum.

*hugs* Caty Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly74 wrote:

I'm in agreement with Star Gazer.
The forum is slow at the moment, but that may change (especially with the cons to come).

I vote for what Star Gazer says also. Even though I do not post a lot here, I still come here regularly to look at the pics and to see if there's anything new, if there has been a note etc (I know that's not in the forum, but on the website, but I often take a look at the forum too while I'm here).

But yeah, it's slow and with no news whatsover from RDA and no new projects (except for the Simpsons commentary which I'm looking forward too) I guess it might stay that way. It's true that there are cons coming up, but activity around those events may depend on how willingly and freely people are going to share pictures and con experiences beyond lines like: he was so cool, so hot, so nice, etc. Because we all know he is all that, without doubt, but I've never seen people putting up real con reports here for example. Which, I know, take a lot of work to write down because you'd have to remember details of q and a sessions etc etc to really write a detailed con report. And some fans who share their pictures on the forum put their sig/name plastered all the way over his chest because god forbid someone might share them elsewhere without crediting. I'm not really enjoying pics with signatures written all over RDA's chest, sorry. (and yes, I get the issue about ppl reposting or selling pics that aren't theirs, but even with the risk that someone is selling my stuff on ebay I say; share away, repost, reblog... these are con photos not artwork and I won't mind anyone sharing my pics anywhere. If I manage to take good ones at FedCon. I'm going to put my sig in, but in a place where it doesn't glare at you. :p)

So the best option to get information and media of cons is to wait for Kate's website update and look at pics there or go to other places like yutube, Dreamwidth, Live Journal where con reports, panel transcripts and pics are shared freely. BUT even that has dwinlded down. Maybe it's a downfall of the fandom in itself (the SG one), I don't know.

The forum has been active mostly in the Thunk Thread last year where the same pictures are being posted over and over and over again. I still like looking at them, but it only takes me half a coup of coffee to come by these days and take a look. So, yeah... I'm with Star Gazer; this is a nice place and it would be sad to see it go. Very sad. But Kate is doing all the work and it's up to her to decide whether it's worth continuing the forum or not.
Susanne B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: WEBSIDE UPGRADE- PLEASE READ Reply with quote

Here I' m. Please Kate. Don' t close the Forum. Many Fans visit and read it. Me too. Last time in my life was few time. But I' m here and enjoy soooo many moments here. And share. Please. I love rdanderson.com and Forum.
nicolemj@otenet.gr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,

First of all, I agree with Stargazer and the rest of the people here. Most of all, I would like to THANK YOU once again for all the hard work and efforts you have put into this wonderful website, and we want you to know that we certainly APPRECIATE everything you have done to keep us up to date with the latest news concerning RDA. But, as Stargazer said, "it's your call" and you're the one who will decide whether to close the forum or not. It will be sad though. I, personally, visit the forum everyday and the website in general, it's like a nice habbit and certainly something that keeps me away from my own problems and gives me a great pleasure. I love looking at all the beautiful photos of Rick on the Thunk thread (doesn't matter if the same ones are being posted again and again), or reading and sharing the comments of all the articles and posts. There's always something new to read, and also there are people in the forum who they keep a contact with each other through this website. What I'm trying to say, is that this website and the forum, is honestly the joy of my life. I can say, I'm almost addicted to it. I wouldn't want to miss it, but if you feel it has to be terminated, well, what can I say? I hope there will be soon a new forum, and I hope you will continue your amazing work, running and maintaining this site. Thank you Kate for letting us know and hoping to have good news from you pretty soon.
Sorry for my poor English. I tried to explain it the best way I can, even though sometimes it's difficult to express in words what you feel inside.
jediferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in a agreement. I've been on many forums, and all forums go through slow times. It eventually picks up again, gains new members, slows down and picks back up.

If need be, I have some experience in using InvisionFree forum boards and can always start a new one so RDA fans have a place to go. I would be more then happy to associate it with RDAnderson.com and follow any wishes or rules set by RDA about his personal life and career (if there are any).

Seeing as I'm poor and can't really support his causes financially, or afford to meet him myself... I see as a way to support RDA, his fans and his causes. That is, if you decide you want to retire the forum and if everyone else is okay with starting over on a new forum.

It's really up to you Kate. I'm more then happy to just stick around here and post screencaps. LOL

I guess I would just hate to see his fans get disbanded and not have a place to talk, meet other fans or share experiences. I met one of my best friends on this forum, so it would be sad to see the medium go.
Astra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that if there is a new forum, we still can keep the old one as an archive. I would be most sad to see Paya's picture stories vanish, as this is the only place she has ever posted them. While I downloaded the pics for myself, only with her funny descriptions they make a real story (and with the comments of the others added as well).

I really hope those links will still work after the upgrade, as it is the only way for me to link to here to share with others.

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/
Teale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Another vote to keep the forum--if possible! Reply with quote

I agree with everyone about enjoying the forum. Usually I pop on two or three times weekly to see what's going on, but rarely have time to post.

Unfortunately, I work. A lot. A Full time job plus three start-up businesses don't leave much free time these days.

If the forum survives, I will try to be a bit more diligent about posting. There is a good, supportive group on the forum and I really enjoy being a part of it.

Thanks for all of your work maintaining the site and the forum, Kate. You really are appreciated!

Teale
Mac/Jack#1fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of you ladies when you say we should keep the forum. I love it here very much.
I haven't been posting lately because I have been dealing with some health issues, but I do visit the site daily.
I would like to see the forum stay up and running, or if this forum has to go, see another one started. But honestly, that's completely up to you Kate.
You are the one who puts all the time effort and money into this site and I know all of us here greatly appreciate it.
I have made friends with some people on this site (heck, I met one of my best friends on this forum ^_^) and I love the how us fans have the opportunity to interact with and discuss our common interest with each other.
But all in all, it's your call Kate, you do what you feel you should do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? The forum will disappear? OMG, what a bad news!
I mean, I don't have much time to write and I usually visit on week-ends to read, but if this forum will disappear I'll miss it.
I hope there will be a new one because even if I don't always log in, I appreciate the pictures, reading and posting sometimes. I wish I could post more, but it requires time.
I like to have a chance to talk to other fans like me sometimes, especially in convention times when I can find news or informations. For example I decided to go to FedCon thanks to this forum.
But Kate, if it takes you a lot of work and time, then the decision is up to you. Thank you for informing us in advance.
j-sky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate,

thank you for let us know what's happening.
It will be very sad if there wouldn't be a forum like this. Even I don't have time to visit here regularly. I wish I would.
This Forum is about RDA and I love him Embarassed Smile. He has gave us so much. It has been so amazing to be in the place, where everyone is thinking the same way as you do. We all love him. I think we will continue to love him if these isn't a Forum like this, but this Forum is a very special place for us. Please do not put this Forum retired Smile.

I have to tell you something more:
I have got so much from this Forum. I have got something which is very dear to to me. I've got a true friend. Even she is far away from me, she is very special to me. She found me from this Forum, so this Forum should be very special. And it is Smile!
And something else. I am going to do something very extraordinary for me, because of this Forum. I am going to FedCon because of this Forum. I wouldn't even know about those things like Cons without this Forum. To going to FedCon is going to be one highlight of my life. I am looking forward FedCon so much! Can't wait to go there and to be there.

So - please do not put this Forum retired.
Thank you for everything.
KatXander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam is having issues with her laptop, and can't post, so I will post what she sent me in an e-mail:

"I can understand her feelings about not continuing the forum, but a part of me would hate to see it go. It played an important part in my surviving these past few years. It introduced me to two very specials ladies that I'm proud to be able to call my friends."

I know I have not been on much either for various reasons, but I echo her sentiments. For better or worse, the Forum and chat has turned lurkers and posters into real-life friends. I will always be grateful for all that Kate has done and sometimes had to put up with (yes, you know I mean me and my cantankerous ways). I am grateful that this site has given me wonderful, caring friends to share my life and creations with. The forum has been that little branch that some of us needed to grab on to, and pull ourselves out of a pit, where we found welcoming arms waiting. It isn't just about fandom...

Hugs,
Pat/Kat
Dollie Mama, farmer, and occasional cartoonist ^_^
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: