RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WEBSITE UPGRADE - PLEASE READ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KateR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the sad facts about the various applications used on websites is that they become vulnerable to viruses and hacking, and so they are constantly being changed by the developers but are not always upgradeable or backwards compatible. Both the Forum and the Fan Mail have reached the point where the developers will no longer support them, and there is no way to upgrade them to a newer version. They continued to function this long only because my ISP allowed the older systems to run on my server, but they are strongly recommending the upgrade now, mostly for security purposes.

That's the main reason that the website itself is such a simple design - it can run entirely off my own hard drive and does not rely on outside applications at all except for the PHP-based Forum and Fan Mail, (and the Chat, which regular visitors have discovered is also reaching End of Life). So at least the site itself is always safe, whether it remains online or not. Those who have been here for a very long time may remember that this has happened before - the current Forum is actually the third or fourth incarnation since the site began.

I'm going to let the ISP go ahead with the upgrade, and it may happen as soon as Monday. After that, it will be possible to set up a new Forum and a new Fan Mail site, though I don't know how long it will take me. The other good news is that there is also a Chat function that would become available (which was never available on the current system), so the site would no longer need to rely on Bravenet for chatting. I have to look into that more.

Astra wrote:
I hope that if there is a new forum, we still can keep the old one as an archive. I would be most sad to see Paya's picture stories vanish, as this is the only place she has ever posted them. While I downloaded the pics for myself, only with her funny descriptions they make a real story (and with the comments of the others added as well).

I really hope those links will still work after the upgrade, as it is the only way for me to link to here to share with others.

That is why I have put this upgrade off as long as I have - I didn't want to lose what was here. I will ask the ISP if there is a way to preserve or archive the Forum, but they haven't sounded too optimistic because it will not be compatible with the new server.

However, after several hours of experimenting, I think I may have found a way to save the Stargate Figures in Action thread manually as one enormous HTML document. It will take several more hours to accomplish, and it will be huge and therefore will load very slowly, but at least it will be immune to any upgrades if it becomes HTML instead of PHP. I am looking into preserving a few other threads this way as well, but most of the Forum will probably be lost, so if there is a thread that someone particularly enjoys (convention photos or reports, for example), I urge you to copy-paste or download it in the next few days.

The good news is that the Fan Mail will not be lost. That was sent up to deliver messages to both the online page for RDA to access and as an individual email that can be saved. So even if the page goes down, all the emails are still available and I can forward anything to RDA that he asks for.

If I can manage to get all of the upgrades taken care of in the next week, then perhaps people will have information to share as RDA starts making appearances again, and perhaps the discussion will pick up. If the Forum is being used, I don't mind maintaining it, and in fact a new one may be even easier to maintain if the new system is better equipped for handling spammers and I don't have to spend part of every day killing spambots.

As I said, I just wanted to let people know in advance what is likely to happen so that they can prepare.

Thanks for the kind messages,

Kate
Caty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the news, Kate.
I'm so releived that there will be a new forum.
As I said before, it's a kind of home to me, a place to meet friends and talk with friends.
I owe you this, Kate. Very Happy

But how can I live through the time without? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello KateR and all RDA-Fans,

although I'm only more rarely in the forum, and mostly "Off Topic", I want to write a few words.

The amazing thing about this website is, that there is very little advertising.
One is not constantly animated to buy something, and that I really appreciate.
It costs you not only money, KateR, but also a lot of time and effort to keep the whole website (not only the forum) alive.

I also noticed that only a few people converse here.
And I think, it would be better to close the forum.
Who found friends here, can also talk privately; by e-mail.

I found it also a great pity, that RDA found it not even worthwile to thanks for his congratulations to his birthday.
He also writes very infrequently on "Twitter". Therefor his daughter Wylie Quinn more on "Facebook".
For what hope the fans?

I am sorry for all who like to read along here, but I think the main page (without forum) is enough.
No hard feelings! And thanks again, for the time with you.

Greetings - Grüße.
Annelies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caty wrote:
Thanks for the news, Kate.
I'm so releived that there will be a new forum.
As I said before, it's a kind of home to me, a place to meet friends and talk with friends.
I owe you this, Kate. Very Happy

But how can I live through the time without? Wink

Mark those words, nothing to say more!!!

Thank you Kate, for all of your hard work!!! So much respect!!!

I met a lot of friends here on the forum, Well it sure feels like it!!

@ First Day:

Lies

FirstDay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Annelies! You are a wonderful person. Smile
KatXander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for a better Chat! Also for saving SG Figures in Action!

♥♥♥♥♥
Pat/Kat
FirstDay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDay wrote:

I found it also a great pity, that RDA found it not even worthwile to thanks for his congratulations to his birthday.
He also writes very infrequently on "Twitter". Therefor his daughter Wylie Quinn more on "Facebook".
For what hope the fans?

Correction for my part: She writes more on "Twitter"

[Edit by KateR: Let's let Wylie be a teenager without having to live in a fishbowl.]
FirstDay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edit by KateR: Let's let Wylie be a teenager without having to live in a fishbowl.]

It is her own will to write about her life as a teenager on "Twitter".
Annelies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDay wrote:

Yes, it's her own choice, but as a teenager you see life a bit different as adults do, I guess..

Lies

KateR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDay wrote:

Yes, and for the most part she has been able to interact with other kids her age.

If people choose to track her down and follow her because of who her father is, that is their decision. But I choose not to provide public links that would encourage adults to follow a teenage girl. Too many crazies out there.

Last summer, when RDA and I had a chance to talk, the subject of Twitter came up, and I mentioned some of the dangers of which he wasn't aware. I reminded him of the time that he had tweeted Wylie's Twitter account, and suddenly she was being followed by so many fans of her father that she had to shut down the account. He was both surprised and confused and said, "Wylie's account name showed up on MY Twitter account?? NO! I would NEVER send out her account name! I NEVER did that!" Apparently Wylie herself had taken his phone and sent the tweet without his knowledge. At the time she was about the age of the kids I teach, and completely unaware of the dangers of the internet. RDA was horrified.

So I choose to respect Wylie's privacy on my own site. And that's why I removed your link.

Kate
KatXander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fan but a mom first, I have to agree and side with Kate. I can appreciate that RDA's fans care about his child, but stop and think: how would you feel with a LOT of strange adult people (some not so well-restrained) following *your* teenage daughter? If we truly love & respect RDA, let's leave Wylie alone to have fun with her friends.

P/K
Richardfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: the forum Reply with quote

I love reading about everyone's news on the forum and even though I don't post often I enjoy those who do and would miss this site terribly. I also just bought a computer and don't know how to copy or paste yet as I am really behind the technology curve.
Fandango

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate and all,

I am happy to see people posting so many good things about the forum. So many good points have been made.

The three best friends I have made in the last decade, I met here.
The best adventures I have had in the last decade were spawned here.
Truly, the forum’s role in my life has been rather immense. And yes, the forum goes well beyond just fandom.

It’s true, I (among others) haven’t been posting as of late. For me it has a lot more to do with the distractions of life, and naught to do with RDA or the forum.

I am glad the forum may again return! (And if it is easier to maintain, so much more the better! Spambots stink!) It is a point that it does have a monetary cost (as well as labor). Both the forum and website have been delightfully lacking in advertisements. As I recall, most of the gained funding has been from the Amazon page. Have you thought of perhaps using one of the donation websites? Even a little influx of donations might be of assistance.

As RDA’s career fluctuates, so does the traffic here, I would imagine. Though he is currently coasting in proclaimed retirement, I could be wrong, but I don’t see him remaining idle forever. Wylie’s teens will give way to her twenties. The time will come when she will need less of Dad. Then he will be an ‘empty nest’ parent (or at least have a lot more time on his hands) and may well throw himself back into acting. As long as his health holds, we have no reason to believe he is truly through with his career. There are plenty of actors who have ‘gone away’ for a while, then returned to carry some very strong roles.

On the topic of Wylie, for now, I believe we would honor her and her father by maintaining a polite distance and allow her to continue her growth as a person. All indications seem to show that she has a love of performance and I would be surprised if she does not eventually go into acting professionally. At that time, when she needs the attention to launch her own career, it would then be appropriate (and nice) to follow her on whatever media she chooses. But not yet...not yet.

In the meantime, Kate, thank you for your continued, enduring efforts!
susant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to see the forum go also, because I do check daily to see what is happening with Rick and his legend of fans. With that being said, ultimately the decision has to be Kate's, as she puts in all the work maintaining the site. It's easy to say 'keep it going', when all we do is occasionally post something. So whatever Kate decides to do is for the best. If it should discontinue, I would like to thank Kate for her dedication to RDA and the site, and to his fan base. It's always been nice to know that I am not the only one who thinks he is something special.
FirstDay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KateR wrote:
FirstDay wrote:

So I choose to respect Wylie's privacy on my own site. And that's why I removed your link.

Kate

I respect it. It's really a matter between father and daughter.
I can assure you, that I don't follow Wylie on "Twitter" and "Facebook".
And I don't follow her father.
It is not funny, to be perceived as "crazy", when you write for a Star or a teenager. Forum-fans are people too.
I have a very unique sense of humor, and I don't find all funny, only because RDA or his daughter say or write something.
And I don't have to be amused, when RDA makes "advertising";
for example for the series "The Simpsons".

My impression is, that RDA is tired of his fans. Except of Cons, of course.
And the question is again: A forum, for what?
I'm convinced, that it would be better to close it. Even for you, Kate.
No hard feelings!

Greetings - Grüße
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: