Website Upgrade

LTTPlits

Re: Website Upgrade

Post by LTTPlits »

Welcome back from your travels, Kate! Fingers crossed the upgrade goes smoothly. But I very much appreciate the heads-up that we may have to patiently wait to get back on.

I'm glad to hear that you'll be giving us a way to give something back by helping to defray costs and support the website's continued existence! So onward into the future.... :D

jp
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Fingers crossed for the upgrade!

Hope your travels were wonderful.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

It appears that the upgrade went through smoothly, but jp and I have been discovering another issue that seems to have just started... :shock:

Has anyone else who uses a Gmail address noticed that they are no longer receiving notifications from the Forum?

I've also noticed it when trying to respond from my rdanderson email address to anyone with Gmail - the messages bounce back because Gmail has apparently determined that rdanderson is sending spam and it simply deletes them. This makes it impossible for me to reach out to anyone using Gmail.

Have you noticed the same phenomenon in the past week or so? If so, have you found a way to tell Gmail that I am not spam? :(

Thanks,

Kate
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

Hi Kate,

While I have a Gmail address, I don't use it for this forum. Sorry I couldn't help.
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

Hi Kate, I'm not really an expert in this, but normally a domain is identified as spam if it's not verified. There are several ways to do it, that others like gmail know you're not a pishing mail. Try to contact your provider. Maybe he can tell you how to do. Or google helps :D

Greetings
Steffi
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Skurk wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:10 pm Hi Kate, I'm not really an expert in this, but normally a domain is identified as spam if it's not verified. There are several ways to do it, that others like gmail know you're not a pishing mail. Try to contact your provider. Maybe he can tell you how to do. Or google helps :D

Greetings
Steffi
I'm not messing with DNS settings without knowing what I'm doing. In addition, according to Google's instructions, I need to complete the process through a Google admin account, which I don't have.

But the issue is that Google identifies "bulk senders" as anyone who sends more than 5000 emails a day. It would take me a good 6 months to generate that kind of traffic, yet somehow rdanderson has been sucked up in this mess. Which means, if a small domain like mine is being automatically blocked, then hundreds or thousands of other domains are also being blocked from Gmail users with no means to opt in or out.

To my mind, this just further reinforces why I refuse to use Gmail. :( :evil: :roll:

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Kate,

From what I understand of the matter, which is minimal at best. The recipient can do nothing to prevent Gmail from bouncing emails from senders they value. :evil: The sender has to fix that on their end with Gmail. From what I have read, Steffi's idea of getting the site "verified" is right. But I totally understand your hesitancy to get more involved with them. Their decision seems arbitrary and unreasonable. While there are pluses to using Gmail, fortunately, I, for one, have a way around them, if I choose. So there, Gmail! :P :P :P I can think of a lot of Jack-like things to call them, like when he was referring to the Goa'ulds... :lol: :lol: :lol: but I'll leave that up to the imagination!

So, as a public service service announcement for those who are affected by this idiocy: If you're not getting emails from Kate or notifications from the forum, as happened to me, all you need to do is to change your email in your profile to a non-Gmail address. Fortunately I had one. Just so you're not surprised, doing that will inactivate your profile for the short time until Kate reactivates you.

jp
Last edited by LTTPlits on Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

I have several email addresses. I don’t think the one I use here is the gmail one, but I can’t figure out where to look for that just in case I need to change it. Help!

I may not be the only one, so I thought I’d just ask here.
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Hi,

Next to your name when you are signed in, there is a downward caret that will take you to a drop down menu. Choose "User Control Panel." Select the "Profile tab" and then "edit account settings." Below your user name, you will see the email address you have been using and if it is an infamous Gmail address, you can change it there.

Hope that helps!
jp
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Thanks. I had stopped one click too soon. All good now. ❤️