Website Upgrade

asamuel

Re: Website Upgrade

Post by asamuel »

Thank you, Kate, for keeping us posted on the progress or lack thereof...
Sorry it is so frustrating and hats off to you for pursuing this so patiently!
I really hope Google fixes this on their end as I am sure there are others encountering similar issues.
Yep, I know one can only hope!
Nevertheless, I wanted to say thank you!
Have a great week.
Annie
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Skurk wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:20 pm That worries you maybe that some are getting it later than others?
No, it worries me that I would have to spend a whole day sending out emails.

The machine wouldn't do the work - I wouldn't be able to use the mailing list program because it is set to send out all or nothing. I would have to manually cut and past thousands of individual email addresses into separate messages.

Kate
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I'm very grateful to be able to announce that I seem to have defeated Google.

After a month, they removed the block (still with no explanation), my host did countless adjustments to my settings while I tested a new system, and FINALLY yesterday I was able to send out the latest Update without a problem or a peep from Google.

This new platform is actually much cleaner than the old one, so it probably has all worked out for the best.

Now can we please have a couple of months with no more drama?? :roll:

:) Kate
Jo56

Post by Jo56 »

Fingers crossed! :) ;)
Life is too short not to have fun. My way of life! :D
Jo56
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Seriously, can we not have a month without drama?!? :roll:

So now everything seems to be working fine, but the spambots are at it again. In the last couple of hours I've had over a dozen spammers trying to register on the Forum. I've deleted them all before they could be registered, but it's getting tedious.

This has happened once before, and since they come from all over (mostly Russia and the like), I can't just block an ISP or two. I had to disable all registration before they finally got the message and went away. So, once again I have disabled the registration here, but if you are not a spammer and would like to register, just send me an email through the website and I'd be happy to register you manually.

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Kate, it seems the blessed reprieve from technological mayhem was apparently too good be true! Hopefully... (Dare I say it? or would I be jinxing you?! :o :shock: :P ) this is it! jp
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

Jip. That's why Europe increases IT security requirements.. :roll:
Sometimes even I -working in an IT company - need a break.. and recently I've discovered needlework for me.. never knew I can do that. No trojans, no viruses...no spammer... :lol:
Hugs to you, Kate and thank you that you keep an eye on Rick's land, us and yourself !
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Skurk, I totally understand! I am finding it stressful just trying to keep up with all the data breaches I've been getting letters about and all the articles I read about staying safe online... and I don't even work in the field! I don't envy you and Kate having the responsibilities to keep so much more safe.
Needlework is a great way to relax... and, you're right, a very low threat level attached to that! At least for now... :P :lol:
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

And now the latest update...

Back in December, Gmail blocked my domain without explanation, and then after exactly a month they removed the block, also without explanation. I thought the problem was solved. Silly me. :roll:

In March they blocked rdanderson again, and now it has been over a month with no solution. My host has done everything possible to adjust settings and to try to get a response from them, with no luck.

So I have decided to beat them at their own game. As disgusted as I am with Gmail, I created a new email account: rdandersoncom@gmail.com. I dare them to block their own domain. Now I should be able to respond to Gmail users. (I did try to get the account synced with my Outlook, but no luck there - just error messages, but that's another story.) For now, mail@rdanderson.com remains the main email for the website, but I will use the new Gmail address for emergency contacts only.

The next step is to change the designated email for this forum. I THINK I have properly reset the email here to send out notifications (PM arrived, someone posted to a subscribed topic, etc.) from the new Gmail address instead of rdanderson.com.

And here is where I need feedback: People still using Gmail who had signed up for notifications and presumably haven't been getting them... are you getting them now from the Gmail address? And people NOT using Gmail, who signed up for notifications, are you getting the notifications as usual except that the address has now changed?

If this works, then I will try using the new Gmail address to send out the Updates emails. If not, I will have more choice words for Gmail. :evil:

Fingers crossed!

Kate
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Hi Kate,

I love the idea of your beating them at their own game😆 and using a Gmail address for the forum! Just to let you know: I received a notification for your most recent post in this topic at my non-gmail address that I'd switched to a while back! And, (drumbeat please! :lol: ) the return address is "@gmail.com"!! :D :D

Oh, well done!😉🤭🤭🤭
jp