Website Upgrade

JackGywer

Re: Website Upgrade

Post by JackGywer »

As already mentioned several times, I would be willing to donate to help maintain the site. I can't tell you how many times I point to your page when fans have questions or when the question comes up about RDA using social media. Unfortunately, there are currently an awful lot of new Facebook sites claiming to be him. It's really bad 😡🙄

I wish you a nice holiday and
come back safely 😊

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Just another update in the continuing saga of the required upgrade to this site...

I have had to remove the Fan Mail guestbook because it was so outdated. However, I have added instead a submission form that still allows people to send a message that RDA can access.

The Chat Room is also outdated and there is no way to upgrade it. (In this age of Zoom, who still types anymore?) That chat room, in one form or another, has been around since August, 1995. But it has been rarely visited in recent years, and so, after 28 years, it is finally time to say goodbye. This Saturday, at 10pm ET a regular chat is scheduled, and that will be the last one.

The Forum here SHOULD be able to survive. I'm working on a way to make sure all the posts remain intact, but I'm not sure if all the PMs and extras will remain. Probably over the weekend I'm going to try to convert it. Failing that, I will try to get tech support to update it, since each attempt to update in the past has crashed it. So the Forum may be down temporarily, but don't worry, I'm working on it.

I'm also considering a new host, but that decision won't come until after I return from my trip. I appreciate all those who have offered to help support the site financially, and once things have settled down, I may finally set up a way to accept donations. All that is in the future...

Kate
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Thank you, Kate, for all your hard work keeping this site up and going. I’m here every day although I don’t always log in. You’ve done a beautiful job with all this, and the info here is amazing. I use it daily.

Fingers crossed for minimum glitches. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Kate, I echo GWhite's sentiments. Now I know this is the wrong Star franchise entirely ;), but "May the Force be with you" as you attempt this update! I can't even begin to imagine what's involved!

I also visit the website almost every day, whether to post on the Forum or to delve into the archives. But I realize I've only scratched the surface; there's still so much more I've yet to read or view. So, I'm grateful for all you've done in the past to create it and do now to keep it up and running! Thank you, Kate, and enjoy your time away! jp
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Also, FYI, there is another convention announcement coming. I can't post it until the contracts are signed, but if that happens after I leave, it might take me a little while to get it added to the page. Feel free to share it here when the time comes.

Kate
Jo56

Post by Jo56 »

Can't wait!!! :o
Life is too short not to have fun. My way of life! :D
Jo56
JB5

Post by JB5 »

Woohoo!! Wahay!!! Another one ! :D :D :D

8-)
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Amazing! Will be on the lookout!! :D
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

KateR wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:32 pm Also, FYI, there is another convention announcement coming. I can't post it until the contracts are signed, but if that happens after I leave, it might take me a little while to get it added to the page. Feel free to share it here when the time comes.

Kate
OMG... Vienna probably?? :roll: :?:
The stuff is already there. I just find a different way to use it.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Just a little update...

I'm finally back from my travels, and this upgrade that my ISP has been insisting on is finally scheduled to happen at 1am ET on October 3rd. In other words, later tonight.

Now that the Chat Room is closed, the Fan Mail redesigned, and the Forum upgraded, everything SHOULD go through smoothly, but if the site is down or not functioning for a while, don't worry.

The expense will also increase, so I'm also looking into finally adding an option for voluntary donations after all this upgrading is complete.

Kate