hi....new here....

MacGyverGirl

Re: hi....new here....

Post by MacGyverGirl »

Welcome Dutchie81!

I found this forum in January and joined in March to be able to post, as did JP. I'm also from across the pond and as for my age, let's just say that during RDA's "busy bachelor days" I would have been the average age of his romantic companions (he liked them younger). I have never met him irl but from accounts of those who have, he is very warm and humble.

I watched MacGyver when it was first aired and have been a fan of the character and RDA since. I never watched SG-1 because when it first aired, it was on Showtime which I didn't subscribe to. When I subscribed to the Paramount + streaming service, I rediscovered and fell back in love again with MacGyver. ;) That is when I found this site and appreciate it for its one stop shopping, including RDA sending us updates on his life. Kate, the administrator, is excellent and extremely dedicated.

I am making my way through SG-1 (on season 4), my interest piqued due to this forum and the knowledge of Jack fans.

If I can help in anyway, please don't hesitate. I will try. Glad to have another MacGyver fan onboard! :D
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Welcome Dutchie81

I’m also in the US (Oklahoma). I’m two years older than Richard, and have been a fan since his General Hospital days, and followed him through his different series and movies. I was finally able to meet him at the Steel City Con last April. I met Kate there, too, which was pretty awesome as well. I’m retired from civil service - worked for the USAF for 27 years so Stargate is in a world (US military) with which I’m familiar. I have one son (55) and an 18 year old granddaughter who will be attending a local university in the spring. Even though I don’t post on the forum much, I’m here every day to see what’s going on.
Dutchie81

Post by Dutchie81 »

MacGyverGirl wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:37 pm Welcome Dutchie81!

I found this forum in January and joined in March to be able to post, as did JP. I'm also from across the pond and as for my age, let's just say that during RDA's "busy bachelor days" I would have been the average age of his romantic companions (he liked them younger). I have never met him irl but from accounts of those who have, he is very warm and humble.

If I can help in anyway, please don't hesitate. I will try. Glad to have another MacGyver fan onboard! :D
Well, even though he liked them younger, I think he would draw the line at 31years younger....LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! You make me feee right at home here.
Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity.
EllenD

Post by EllenD »

Hi everyone,

I'm Ellen, 48, Belgian but living in the Netherlands.

I was probably about 12 when MacGyver first aired in Belgium and I'd watch it every week with my parents and my brother (yes, back when you actually had to wait a week for the next episode to air! :roll: ). I had the biggest crush on MacGyver throughout my teenage years and would watch it in whatever language it was on. I didn't know all that much about Rick though at the time. There was no internet and only the occasional article in a magazine …

About two months ago I came across the same reruns of MacGyver Dutchie81 mentioned and started watching them again. I wondered what happened to Richard Dean Anderson and with the internet nowadays, information finds you before you even think to look for it! I ended up on this website and have been making my way through all the articles and notes (Thank you Kate! :) ).

I am now watching MacGyver with my 11 year old son (he loves it too), I'm in season 9 of Stargate SG1 (I miss Jack …) and I got to meet Rick in Brussels last weekend (he was just so kind and sweet)!

I will share my experience and photos later, I just need to figure out how to add pictures. Suggestions are welcome … ;)
Life, far more important than what you do for a living - RDA
Dutchie81

Post by Dutchie81 »

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to the Boards!

Your story sounds pretty much just like mine. Although when going through the MacGyver-crush stage I did try and find out as much as possible about him with the limited resources back then. I even had a mini fanclub going on with my sister and a friend. The 3 of us tried to make a magazine from scratch. With wordpuzzles about him an everything :lol:

Have fun playing along with the games on this board!
Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity.
Scarver-Jo

Post by Scarver-Jo »

Scarver-Jo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:40 pm Hi everyone!

Thanks for accepting me to the forum. I’m actually not new to the forum… I have been a regular guest for years - sometimes months… even years went by, but I always revisited. Today I registered because I finally met the (<- emphasised) man.

It looked like a lot of you - like me - can’t wait to read/see how he’s doing, what he looks like et cetera.

I was at Comic Con Brussels both Saturday and Sunday. Tried to make a short version of the story, but…well… I’m already at page 4 and at that point in the story I hadn’t even met RDA yet.

So I just figured I’d start with this post. See if maybe I could already answer some questions you might have as I was there both days…last 20 in line on Saturday (15.00 - 19.45 = 7.45 pm) and Sunday (11.00 - 20.00 = 8 pm), but I had the time of my life! I was close to the stage during the Q&A session and I understood every word. Didn’t tape it ‘cause I was sure I’d remember and didn’t want to spoil my perfect view. Did take one picture If I need to clearify something in the YT videos, just ask. I can read and write in English (obviously), Dutch (no surprise there since I’m a native), German (Deutsch verstehe ich auch) and French (Français, mais seulement un petit peut).

About me:
80’s kid, loved Mac, love(d) RDA, posted a message to him once (circa 2006/2007), stuck around, I’m at SG-1 next episode is Window of Opportunity. Have the Legend DVD (RDA said: “Ah, so you’re the (emphasised) one!” Et cetera… A Scarver is a BMW motorcycle and Jo is short for Jolanda. I’m from the ‘city of peace and justice’ The Hague, The Netherlands (also known as Holland (officially that’s just part of our country) or ‘Amsterdam’, but that is just our capital city... Anyway…

About RDA:
He looked smashingly handsome, healthy and happy. Though he looked a bit tired during the end of both days, he still seemed happy, thankful and interested in everyone - including a pigeon he appearantly tried to tame…

:-)

PS The artist that drew the celebs drew RDA in Mac style (with the blonde hockey hair / mullet) holding a huge gun…wow. I bet the artist isn’t an 80’s kid, but - I must admit - he/she/them? did do a great job drawing him.
Guess I posted this in the wrong topic. So copy-paste…
Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

EllenD wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:28 pm Hi everyone,
I'm Ellen, 48, Belgian but living in the Netherlands. I
About two months ago I came across the same reruns of MacGyver Dutchie81 mentioned and started watching them again. I wondered what happened to Richard Dean Anderson and with the internet nowadays, information finds you before you even think to look for it! I ended up on this website and have been making my way through all the articles and notes (Thank you Kate! :) ).
I am now watching MacGyver with my 11 year old son (he loves it too), I'm in season 9 of Stargate SG1 (I miss Jack …)
Welcome, Ellen, to the forum and hopefully you'll find it as much fun as the rest of us. And maybe even start playing some of the games?! The more the merrier I say! :D Unlike many, I was a relative newcomer to RDA, only having discovered SG-1 during the pandemic and I credit the show and RDA for helping me get through it! (Don't ask where I was in the 80's and missed MacGyver entirely!) I became curious about RDA and then like everyone else was sent to this wonderful web site (Yes, thank you, Kate!). I also missed Jack terribly in Season 9 but grew to like Cam Mitchell and Ben Browder but never as much, though the story lines were really great... Glad to see someone else who has been willing to check out Jack... For me, it was in the opposite direction, and I have now done 3 viewings of MacGyver, appreciating it more each time, especially with the help of my MacGyver friends, but I confess my heart still belongs to Jack and SG-1.
EllenD wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:28 pm I will share my experience and photos later, I just need to figure out how to add pictures. Suggestions are welcome … ;)
I look forward to seeing them and hope this might work. I use <https://postimages.org>. It has the advantage of being free but it takes time to learn how to select the right link to use. I have used this successfully to add photos from the internet (it did not create stable links to photos from Twitter). I'm not sure if it will work on your own photos. I've never tried to do that but I would think you could use it to assign an address link to a photo stored in your computer... Anyway, hope this helps. A warm welcome!
jp
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Scarver-Jo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:40 pm Hi everyone!
Thanks for accepting me to the forum. I’m actually not new to the forum… I have been a regular guest for years - sometimes months… even years went by, but I always revisited. Today I registered because I finally met the (<- emphasised) man.
Hi Scarver-Jo,
Welcome to the Forum! I'm so glad that meeting the man inspired you to change your status from guest to member! And I hope that you will join some of the games in progress! Thank you for sharing your stories of the con with the rest of us!
Scarver-Jo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:40 pm About me:
80’s kid, loved Mac, love(d) RDA, posted a message to him once (circa 2006/2007), stuck around, I’m at SG-1 next episode is Window of Opportunity. Have the Legend DVD
As I said above, while I totally missed the boat in the 80s, I have made up for it, having delved into MacGyver after discovering SG-1 in the pandemic. Hope you enjoy SG-1 as much as you did MacGyver. Window of Opportunity or WoO is a particular fan favorite, deservedly so. There are so many really wonderful episodes in Season 4. Legend is also a lot of fun and was near and dear to RDA's heart. He was upset that it wasn't renewed but then there might have been no SG-1.... :o :shock:

A warm welcome to the board!
jp
EllenD

Post by EllenD »

LTTPlits wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:07 pm
Welcome, Ellen, to the forum and hopefully you'll find it as much fun as the rest of us.
Thank you!
LTTPlits wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:07 pm Glad to see someone else who has been willing to check out Jack...
Who wouldn't want to??? :P I actually did watch the first few seasons of Stargate when it came out. My boyfriend at the time really liked it and I didn't mind watching it along with him … :roll: I was reminded of Stargate when I stumbled upon MacGyver and started watching it from scratch. I love Jack ... it's such a great character!
EllenD wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:28 pm I look forward to seeing them and hope this might work. I use <https://postimages.org>.
Thanks, Dutchie81 gave me the same tip and I managed to get it to work. I posted it earlier today ...
Life, far more important than what you do for a living - RDA
Skurk

Post by Skurk »

Hi, since I've posted something and I'm a silent reader since start of covid..I should say hello!
My name is Stephanie and I'm from Germany. Born early 70s means in my teenage time Macgyver was one of my favourite series...
So I appreciate Kate's work here very much, even if I'm a bit late :lol:
Met RDA this year in May in Bonn first time and actually unexpectedly. That was one of the most memorable time of my life.
Nice fandom here! Have fun and thank you for having me!