hi....new here....

LTTPlits

Re: hi....new here....

Post by LTTPlits »

asamuel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:51 am Actually, our circumstances are more similar than you might think. In my case I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say that it was kind of like 'Two ships passing in the night'. I was saddened by the fact that I got on this party bus just as everything went into lockdown and no more Comic Cons or events!! Thank God it is all back to normal!
It had sounded to me like you may have been a MacGyver fan prior to the Pandemic... which is not my case at all. Though I am nearly of RDA's vintage (a nice way to put it! ;) ), I never watched any show he was in until 2020, starting with SG-1. So, I was very, very late to the party.... Now you may have missed the party bus but I thought you had at least been to the party way before me! :lol: Did I get that wrong?
asamuel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:51 am Yep, I know you are an all-out Jack fan and I totally get it. He is overtly very funny and in his element. The thing about MacGyver is that even there he was very funny every time an opportunity presented itself and it was so subtle it was even better IMHO.
Well, some of my being an all-out Jack fan, as you accurately described me, is because of the concept of the show, the other characters, and the universe of the show. Really wonderful! (I'm not trying to convince you to give it a try, really... ;) ) And while, yes, I really love Jack's snarky sense of humor (a great tonic during the Pandemic!), that is not the only reason I find him appealing and interesting. I'm only in my third viewing of MacGyver, appreciating it more and more each time, and see his flashes of humor but see it as a different kind from Jack's. But, hey, that's what makes horse races, right?! :D
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Conny,

Willkommen! (Alas, I know no German! So this is from Google!) :D

jp
asamuel

Post by asamuel »

MacGyverGirl wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:40 am
asamuel wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:39 pm
Welcome Annie!

Sorry for the late welcome , but I find I have more time to read than to reply. While I watched MacGyver when it orignally aired, I didn't find this site until the end of 2022 but didn't become a member until the beginning of last year. And yes, MacGyver was/is my crush before RDA ever was. I have started to watch SG1 and am in season 5. I'm glad I did. At first, it was just for RDA but I have grown to enjoy the plotlines and the characters. However, like you, I always opt for a MacGyver rewatch over a new episode of SG1. I often have it on in the background when it airs live on Paramount Plus. It still brings on the emotions.

I have never been to a con or met the man in any other capacity. And considering I live in the Northeastern US, I'm sure I won't be running into him at the grocery store or the post office!

It's fun here. Glad you joined!
Thank you so much! (I am sorry - I am not sure how you want me to address you - so I am going with MacGyver girl? Or are you the one who signs off as Erg - not sure)
Yep, I can see how you are such a MacGyver fan! I think the name kind of gave it away :D
As far as being in CA and perhaps running into him - yes, I wish!
Having said that, I think he values his privacy and I respect that. Moreover, if I ever happen to run into him, I think I will be too nervous to approach him! So, attending a Comic Con is it for me ...
Speaking of the Northeast, I used to live there as well. Kind of moved here right around the time RDA semi-retired from SG1 and came here as well.
Ah sigh - it does feel like - so near, yet so far...
Once again - thank you for your warm welcome and hope you will get to meet him someday too.
Annie
asamuel

Post by asamuel »

Hi JP,
I can see why you might think that - so let me try to explain a bit more...
LTTPlits wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:51 am It had sounded to me like you may have been a MacGyver fan prior to the Pandemic... which is not my case at all. Though I am nearly of RDA's vintage (a nice way to put it! ;) ), I never watched any show he was in until 2020, starting with SG-1. So, I was very, very late to the party.... Now you may have missed the party bus but I thought you had at least been to the party way before me! :lol: Did I get that wrong?
So, what happened is that when I first got here Macgyver had just gone off the air. So, as you know there are usually no reruns right away - or at least I did not see any. However, I did see the announcements and even then, it caught my eye - don't know why.
But just so you know I am an 80s fan - that is my go-to - it is like comfort food for me. I love the music, the shows, the movies...And so, I keep watching those shows all the time. So this came on and I was like - hey I know - I have always been drawn to this one and so I started watching it and rest is history.
All this happened just a bit before the pandemic.
Another reason I was reminded of this show was because of the new MacGyver - Oh my God - I just hated it!! Thankfully they did not use the same iconic theme music - that would have been the worst thing that happened!

Anyway, I was so hooked on it that I started looking for everything RDA and that is when I found this website. And then when I saw those Comic Cons and various events, I was like oh no! there might never be another event - thank God it is all back to normal!!!
LTTPlits wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:51 am Well, some of my being an all-out Jack fan, as you accurately described me, is because of the concept of the show, the other characters, and the universe of the show. Really wonderful! (I'm not trying to convince you to give it a try, really... ;) ) And while, yes, I really love Jack's snarky sense of humor (a great tonic during the Pandemic!), that is not the only reason I find him appealing and interesting. I'm only in my third viewing of MacGyver, appreciating it more and more each time, and see his flashes of humor but see it as a different kind from Jack's. But, hey, that's what makes horse races, right?! :D
Agreed 100%. He is indeed a very versatile actor. At the same time, he is himself and that authenticity comes through every time. And why not right - what's not to like! I believe that right there sets him in a league of his own.

I discovered SG1 only when I was surfing the web and through this website (thanks Kate!!!).
I do like SG1 - and I will watch it - I already have but not every episode and in a continuous manner is all. I will get to it for sure :D

Thanks!
Annie
EllenD

Post by EllenD »

Herzlich Willkommen Conny … viel Spass!

Welcome Annie! It's never too late to join a party! Actually, I always seem to be late … I didn't discover Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam until 2005 and I hadn't even heard of Benedict Cumberbatch until 2017. And like JP, in hindsight I ask myself how that is even possible! But I'm so glad I did!
MacGyverGirl wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:50 am Welcome Ellen! I guess a late welcome is better than no welcome at all.
Haha, thank you! :D
MacGyverGirl wrote:I watched MacGyver when it aired in the 80s and 90s. A few years ago I subscribed to Paramount Plus and fell in love with my crush again, watching the reruns.
Yes, seeing his face suddenly appear on tv after all these years, instantly put a smile on my face … :)
MacGyverGirl wrote:I have started watching SG1 and am in season 5. My son watches Macgyver with me as well, but he is 26 (Yikes)! It's good that we can both bond with our sons over our nostalgia.
Yes it is! He actually is about the same age I was when I first saw it on tv. We only watch it occasionally though. He discovered the Simpsons soon after and absolutely loves it! He's bonding over that with his dad … there's nothing better than hearing them say d'oh in harmony or laugh at te same jokes while watching the show together. :heart:
MacGyverGirl wrote:I live in the US and have never met the man. Consider yourself fortunate!
I do … hopefully you'll have your chance soon!
Last edited by EllenD on Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life, far more important than what you do for a living - RDA
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

Cornelia wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:15 pm Hallo RDA Fns
Ich heiße Conny und bin seit September dabei ,habe aber erstmal die Seiten durchstöbert um einen Einblick zu bekommen.
Ich lebe in Deutschland und finde es toll auf diesem wege Leute kennenzulernen ,die genau so große RDA Fans
sind wie ich .
Vielen Dank für die Aufnahme im Forum
Conny
Herzlich Willkommen in der Familie 😊

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

asamuel wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:39 pm Hello my fellow RDA fans!
My name is Annie, and I just joined the forum.
I have been roaming these pages as a Guest for some time now.
Like JP I found this website in 2020 when I was searching for all things RDA. I am a huge MacGyver fan. I have not gotten into Stargate that much though.
I could watch the entire Stargate series on Amazon Prime and I tell myself I should but given an option I always choose to rewatch MacGyver! Believe me I have watched Macgyver so many times but never tire of it.
I live here in the US in California actually - but I have never met the legend! I hope that will change someday.
Thrilled that I am finally part of this family and thank you Kate for helping me along the way and also for patiently answering my every question!
You are the best!
Annie
Welcome to the family 😊

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

asamuel wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:38 am But just so you know I am an 80s fan - that is my go-to - it is like comfort food for me. I love the music, the shows, the movies...And so, I keep watching those shows all the time. So this came on and I was like - hey I know - I have always been drawn to this one and so I started watching it and rest is history. All this happened just a bit before the pandemic.
Hey, Annie, I had to laugh because I'm the same about the 80s! I adore the music and the vibe... and I truly love that aspect of "MacGyver." Long live that sun-kissed mullet of his!! (Okay, I do know it was courtesy of a bottle! ;)) No one but no one sported a mullet as well as RDA did as Mac! But in the 80s, I was all-engrossed in, dare I say it?!, "Miami Vice" and "MacGyver" wasn't even on my radar. (Not everyone's cup of tea, I know!) In its own way as 80s iconic as "MacGyver," just way differently. (Funny because in outlook, I'm much, much more like Mac... ) I loved the music video quality, the South Beach vibe, and the interesting moral ambiguity of the characters and that world. Crockett was appealing but clearly no Mac! But I so get the attraction of the 80s.... My cellphone ring is the theme song of "MacGyver".... Do I get points?! :lol:
asamuel wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:38 am Agreed 100%. He is indeed a very versatile actor. At the same time, he is himself and that authenticity comes through every time. And why not right - what's not to like! I believe that right there sets him in a league of his own. I discovered SG1 only when I was surfing the web and through this website (thanks Kate!!!). I do like SG1 - and I will watch it - I already have but not every episode and in a continuous manner is all. I will get to it for sure :D
Have to second that, Annie. While RDA comes through in most roles he plays, he is a much better actor than he humbly gives himself credit for. I loved his turns as Bill Parish in "Past the Bleachers" and Capt James Holland in "Pandora's Clock" but he certainly can play villains as well. Sometimes scarily well. (I'm talking about you, Ray Bellano!! :lol: ) And he can play the righteous, kind, and inventive Mac to a T, as well as Jack, a good man who is more world-worn, snarky, and at times, downright, irascible! Versatile, indeed. I hope you find SG-1 as enjoyable and compelling as "MacGyver," but if not, it's all good! :D jp
asamuel

Post by asamuel »

JackGywer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:06 am Welcome to the family 😊
Thank you JK!
I truly feel very welcome here
Annie
asamuel

Post by asamuel »

LTTPlits wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:02 pm Hey, Annie, I had to laugh because I'm the same about the 80s! I adore the music and the vibe... and I truly love that aspect of "MacGyver." Long live that sun-kissed mullet of his!! (Okay, I do know it was courtesy of a bottle! ;)) No one but no one sported a mullet as well as RDA did as Mac! But in the 80s, I was all-engrossed in, dare I say it?!, "Miami Vice" and "MacGyver" wasn't even on my radar. (Not everyone's cup of tea, I know!) In its own way as 80s iconic as "MacGyver," just way differently. (Funny because in outlook, I'm much, much more like Mac... ) I loved the music video quality, the South Beach vibe, and the interesting moral ambiguity of the characters and that world. Crockett was appealing but clearly no Mac! But I so get the attraction of the 80s.... My cellphone ring is the theme song of "MacGyver".... Do I get points?! :lol:
Yeah sure you do JP - lots of points!!!!
Ah the 80s... Truly 80s rock!!
Funny you should mention Miami Vice - during one of my searches I chanced upon this video of RDA getting this award in Italy. He was talking to Jay Leno about it and then I watched the actual video and there was Don Johnson sitting there in the front row and RDA was like Don help! This was around the same time Nash Bridges came on in the same channel as MacGyver - so I started watching that and ventured back into the archives and watched a bit of Miami Vice (yeah, a slightly more toned-down Don Johnson is more my cup of tea. However, I hear Miami Vice was very big during its run!!)
LTTPlits wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:02 pm Have to second that, Annie. While RDA comes through in most roles he plays, he is a much better actor than he humbly gives himself credit for. I loved his turns as Bill Parish in "Past the Bleachers" and Capt James Holland in "Pandora's Clock" but he certainly can play villains as well. Sometimes scarily well. (I'm talking about you, Ray Bellano!! :lol: ) And he can play the righteous, kind, and inventive Mac to a T, as well as Jack, a good man who is more world-worn, snarky, and at times, downright, irascible! Versatile, indeed. I hope you find SG-1 as enjoyable and compelling as "MacGyver," but if not, it's all good! :D jp
Oh yes - Ray Bellano - I did watch 'Through the eyes of a killer' Oh my - he nailed that role and even there the early part he comes across as a very soft-spoken nice person! Versatile indeed!
Yes, I did like, a lot, the SG1 episodes that I watched, and I know I will turn out to be Jack fan after all, but my first love will always be 'Mac' :D