Brussels and Marseille November 2023

Scarver-Jo

Re: Brussels and Marseille November 2023

Post by Scarver-Jo »

Exactly my point. He tried to make the best out of it. So did I. Had a lot of fun. If you’re interested see below.

Sunday autograph session:
So it was getting late… and dark. They announced that RDA was not going to personalise anything anymore because it was getting really late. You had to choose what you wanted to have signed and didn’t get the chance to write your name.

So… I hadn’t decided yet and it was almost my turn. I had the picture that was taken Saturday (which I btw forgot to take after it was taken, so I actually had to return…) in my bag, I had slipped in a pic of my Dad and his first dog in the pic holder… I brought the Legend DVD and stalled (sorry people behind me in the queue) when I had to choose a print, because I didn’t want a bleached Mac or a Jack photo, but something that was more RDA than Mac or Jack.

It was my turn too soon, I hadn’t decided yet, so I was in front of RDA and this guy (maybe Paul’s son-in-law?) said: “Great jacket!!” It’s a black Sea Shepherd’s soft shell. RDA recognised me “Hey, it’s you!” and agreed. I said: “My T-shirt is a Sea Shepherd’s as well and quoted him: “Their T-shirts are better” and winked. He smiled and asked me what I wanted to have signed. Told him I hadn’t decided yet. So he looked at all the stuff, we talked for quite a while about Legend, overacting versus physical comedy, that he got “so much trouble with the other producers…”over it (big smile and wink), I told him at that time on our little spot on earth ‘the girls’ weren’t too happy about him cutting his hair - in The Hague guys also had mullets -> actually a lot still do - and the girls especially did not like the moustache.I told him I didn’t really mind at the time… It goes well with the genre” … but you didn’t have to cut the hair ;). I asked him if I could slip him a note as well (this was after the Q&A of course, wrote it while waiting in the queue). RDA said: “Yeah, of course!” He looked at it (I had folded it, but it had become wrinkled. I didn’t care. He didn’t either and smiled. I had been waiting for such a long time that I just figured I’d see what I could get away with timewise et all… it was a lot ;). I finally decided on our photograph. So he slowly put down ‘Richard’, made the eyes in the R… and put a dot in the d. I said: “Oh, wait… stop right there! I don’t want the full name! Just ‘Richard’ is fine by me.” He looked up, huge grin and said: “Ah, so we’re on that level, huh?” and winked. So I replied: “Sure, why not, I mean, it’s not like we’re on Ricky Dean level… yet. He was actually lost for words haha. I said: “Just kidding, but hey, read the note.” I winked. He laughed, said he would and with a big grin drew a big heart at the bottom. We said our goodbyes and I was in 7th heaven.
Last edited by Scarver-Jo on Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost
ttrana

Post by ttrana »

Dutchie81 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:09 pm I snuck in a few pictures waiting in line and had 2 photo's at the photobooth. First picture shows the little wooden shoes my grandpa (still going strong at 95 yrs old) used to paint. I asked him @ the autograph if I could take a picture of just him with the wooden shoes to show my grandpa, but the organisation would let him. He then came up with the idea to get it done at the photobooth. After that one I had one with just him and me. What a pleasure it has been meeting him for the first time. I don't know if anyone is interested in the photobooth photo's, so here a just the sneak-peeks waiting in line.

I can’t see the pictures that you posted for some reason, where the pictures are there is a question mark? Can anyone else see them? Sounds like the weekend was fun and it’s nice to read and see the pictures and stories from everyone.
Scarver-Jo

Post by Scarver-Jo »

About the pictures and stories:
I can see the pictures that were posted. Thanks everyone. Not sure if I can see all of them ‘cause I don’t see the wooden shoes in any of ‘m for instance (I think that was Dutchie’s story).
Love the photos and stories of others too. RDA really is a great guy. If you ever get the chance you should go and meet him. It will keep you smiling forever.
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost
Scarver-Jo

Post by Scarver-Jo »

About RDA:
He was switching between sitting behind the desk and standing at the table on the side both days. His back was probably killing him. He didn’t get that much time off ‘cause he wanted to please every single fan. The presentors and everyone else really seemed to like him and loved talking to him. There was this one guy from ‘the organisation’ - which truly wasn’t great. RDA was looking for him when he mentioned it during Q&A ;).

He was really open and honest about just anything you asked. Made constant eye contact, smiled a lot, laughed a lot, looked great (oversized green buttoned shirt on Sunday), he held you really close: it was amazing. He really does make you feel special. He apologized all the time about the long wait and explained that he really was thankful and wanted to make real personal contact with everyone.

On Saturday he mostly walked behind the curtains from the signature stand to the photo booth. He was looking at the other celebs pics and stopped at a couple of ‘m.
On Sunday he walked from the Q&A stand through the public (joined by his ‘posse’). Everyone applauded him and let him walk at his own pace back to the signature stand.
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost
Dutchie81

Post by Dutchie81 »

Scarver-Jo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:07 am About the pictures and stories:
I can see the pictures that were posted. Thanks everyone. Not sure if I can see all of them ‘cause I don’t see the wooden shoes in any of ‘m for instance (I think that was Dutchie’s story).
Love the photos and stories of others too. RDA really is a great guy. If you ever get the chance you should go and meet him. It will keep you smiling forever.
That's my fault, I didn't post my 2 photobooth pictures here b/c I didn't know whether people would like to see only candid shots, or also the photobooth ones. The second photobooth shot is up in Thunk, because that's an even better pic than the wooden shoes one
Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity.
Scarver-Jo

Post by Scarver-Jo »

Dutchie81 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:01 am
Scarver-Jo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:07 am About the pictures and stories:
That's my fault, I didn't post my 2 photobooth pictures here b/c I didn't know whether people would like to see only candid shots, or also the photobooth ones. The second photobooth shot is up in Thunk, because that's an even better pic than the wooden shoes one

Yeah, saw that pic in Thunk and absolutely loved it! You both look really great and so happy. I - for one - would love to see the wooden shoes pic as well. (My uncle & godfather who passed away years ago wore black wooden shoes everyday as well haha. It’s one of my fondest memories of him.) Love hearing your stories as well. Hope you didn’t get pushed around too much during your RDA time.
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Dutchie81 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:09 pm I snuck in a few pictures waiting in line and had 2 photo's at the photobooth. First picture shows the little wooden shoes my grandpa (still going strong at 95 yrs old) used to paint. I asked him @ the autograph if I could take a picture of just him with the wooden shoes to show my grandpa, but the organisation would let him. He then came up with the idea to get it done at the photobooth. After that one I had one with just him and me. What a pleasure it has been meeting him for the first time. I don't know if anyone is interested in the photobooth photo's, so here a just the sneak-peeks waiting in line.

Unfortunately, I can't see your pictures - at least on my phone... Gotta try again later on my laptop! Because I'd really love to see them!
The stuff is already there. I just find a different way to use it.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

We could see them yesterday but not today ...
Dutchie81

Post by Dutchie81 »

They are very long urls....due to google photos...is there another website I can upload them to?

Listening to Into my arms by Nick Cave and I'm back at Brussels...

I'll try and write up my stories, later today, I'm on my phone right now and can't upload the pics anyways.

If any one has a better way of uploading pics, let me know!
Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity.
LTTPlits

Post by LTTPlits »

Thanks, Scarver-Jo and Dutchie81 for posting about your experiences, especially for us who could not be there! Sounds like a great time was had by all. Even RDA! :D