The Devil's Rumbling

MacGyverGod

The Devil's Rumbling

Post by MacGyverGod »

This is something I've been meaning to ask for some time now. When MacGyver, Jack and Mukti are getting water from the spring in Mountain of Youth the ground rumbles twice resulting that the water stops flowing despite it being eternal. Mukti explains it as the devil's rumbling since it is a forbidden place and many people haven't returned from the spring. MacGyver thinks however the water is being diverted with a strong pump.

So this is again MacGyver rationalizing it with a scientific explanation. But what kind of pump makes the ground rumble like that to divert water? Can it do that? Diverting water with a strong enough pump can cause detectable vibrations like that? I think it's just the logical explanation and maybe the rumblings are an easy way to keep the gullible people of Ammukash away from the spring and probably the dangerous Kabulstani soldiers for their own good of course.

But... what if it isn't? What if it's not the divertion of the water but the actual devil's rumbling or other higher and inexplicable forces? Jack did say it was a mystical place. What if there is more than meets the eye here? What do you guys think is the Devil's Rumbling?
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
MacGyverGirl

Re: The Devil's Rumbling

Post by MacGyverGirl »

MacGyverGod wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:01 pm This is something I've been meaning to ask for some time now. When MacGyver, Jack and Mukti are getting water from the spring in Mountain of Youth the ground rumbles twice resulting that the water stops flowing despite it being eternal. Mukti explains it as the devil's rumbling since it is a forbidden place and many people haven't returned from the spring. MacGyver thinks however the water is being diverted with a strong pump.

So this is again MacGyver rationalizing it with a scientific explanation. But what kind of pump makes the ground rumble like that to divert water? Can it do that? Diverting water with a strong enough pump can cause detectable vibrations like that? I think it's just the logical explanation and maybe the rumblings are an easy way to keep the gullible people of Ammukash away from the spring and probably the dangerous Kabulstani soldiers for their own good of course.

But... what if it isn't? What if it's not the divertion of the water but the actual devil's rumbling or other higher and inexplicable forces? Jack did say it was a mystical place. What if there is more than meets the eye here? What do you guys think is the Devil's Rumbling?
I am going to try to answer this from my gut as I haven't done research on vibration of water pumps. As with any episode, MacGyver uses logic to explain reasons behind unknown events. However, in the episode "Parker House", MacGyver is insistent until the end to prove to Penny Parker that her beliefs in the supernatural have logical explanations. In the last scene, Penny suggests that maybe Aunt Betty did cause the death of Cliff Howells but I don't think MacGyver bought that. It does leave the audience to ponder the involvement of the supernatural and debunks MacGyver's logic. So maybe the scenario in "Mountain of Youth" does want to leave the audience with the possibility of the supernatural as the root cause of the Devil's Rumblings.
In conclusion, I don't have a black and white answer but maybe rather grey. Perhaps the writer's wanted the audience to ask the age-old question of "Is there some greatest power out there?".
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."