Flames over Phoenix

Jack(s)

Re: Flames over Phoenix

Post by Jack(s) »

as promised. next part is already here...
--------
Xxx

Jack opened his eyes. Looked around and after taking in his surroundings, he realised that he had just had a very real nightmare. He was still sitting at his desk, papers all scattered over his table. Looking at his watch, he realised he must have fallen asleep. It was only 18:00.
Rubbing his right hand over his eyes, he tried to get his head back into the game. The report needed to get finished. Right now, he wasn’t even sure if the Sergeant who been here earlier, was in his dream or if he was real.

Jack wondered briefly since when he was falling asleep that easily but realised that he had had a very exciting day behind with a lot of stress and pressure.

A knock on the door and Jack felt how a shiver crept up his spine. Getting up he opened the door. A young officer was standing there dropping the message about the meeting being held the next day at 09:00 in the briefing room. Jack thanked him and waited till he was gone. No question about the performance of the aircraft and nothing out of the ordinary. Closing the door, he sat back at the desk and took his pen, ready to write the final part of his report.

As he finished and checked the time again, it was just after 20:00. Putting the finished report into a paper folder, Jack thought about going for a walk. Remembering his dream, he hesitated but went anyway.

About an hour later he was back. The whole time he was on edge and was far from enjoying the walk and getting some stress relief. He felt worse than before and stepped under a hot shower again. Pictures of the gun pointing at him before his eyes. He tried to recall the face from his dreams or the voice, but success would not come.

His bed called and he followed. His tired brain needed a break and he was sure tomorrow his world would look different.

Xxx

Jack woke up the next morning around 06:00. Feeling a headache coming, he opened the window for fresh air. Looking outside, the dawn of the morning was coming.

He sat up, scrubbed his hands over his face and through his hair. As he recalled the night, he remembered to have another weird dream about him being shot. It wasn’t the first time he had nightmares but usually his dreams been about his past, not about a scenario that had not happened before.

He got himself ready and packed his bag, ready for leaving after the meeting. Jack still had enough time to have a little morning walk and take a light breakfast. His walk led him to the hangar area, and he watched as some personnel were already being busy to maintain some fighter jets. The sun was up by now and started to fill the air with her warmth.

He greeted the young men and women who were eagerly working and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. He knew that everybody on this base was waiting for the result of the meeting today.

Xxx

The Colonel stepped into the briefing room. He was one of the first and greeted the other two officers. Choosing a seat, he flopped himself on it and placed his file in front of him on the table. Resting his hands on it he looked around as the door opened again and the next officer stepped in with a mug of steaming hot coffee in his hand.

“The chair still free?” he pointed next to Jack while asking.

“Sure,” a short reply from the Colonel indicated that he was not interested in small talk. His concentration was laying on the report ahead.
The officer, with the rank of a Captain, sat next to him, nursing his cup. He glanced over onto the folder and was itching to ask a question. Just as he summoned his courage, the door opened again, and the commander of this base, General Corcoran, entered. Looking around he met the eyes of the Colonel. A faint smile crossed his face and he nodded slightly in acknowledgement.

A couple of minutes later everybody was accounted for and after a short introduction from the chief mechanic, the chief engineer too, the chief instructor and the General himself and Jack.

He stepped in front of the large mahogany table the officers around which the officers were seated and started to describe what he had experienced with the X 304 the previous day. He offered as much detail as he was able to. He critiqued and praised the assets and the good work of the aircraft.
He answered question after question and by the end he felt drained. Paperwork and standing in front of a crowd was so not his thing to do.

General Corcoran thanked him after Jack had finished and wished the Colonel a good flight back. He hoped that their path would cross again and with that left the room to head back to his office. Checking his watch, Jack had about 40 minutes left till his flight which would take him back to Peterson. He was looking forward to seeing his team again and for a nice relaxing night off. Grabbing his bag, he was walking slowly over to the big green transport machine. The cargo was already on board and securely tied up. Jack fumbled in his pocket for his papers and showed them to get on board.

He loved the experience he had made here and would have loved to stay longer. But on the other hand, he was also happy to get back home. The idea of a team night later formed in his head and he had to check if Sam, Daniel, and Teal`c would have time to enjoy a relaxed evening. Sitting in his seat, ready for liftoff, he looked out the window. From here he could see over to hangar two and saw how officers had been busy with the prototype of the X 304. It was far in the distance and a picture of little busy ants shot into Jack’s inner eye, letting him form a smile on his face.
Jack took a deep breath. He would have loved to test the new hyperdrive and see what the aircraft can do now. With the X 302 it was still unstable. Since then, scientists had been very busy developing the technology further.

The doors closed, the Captain announced that the plane is on its way to Colorado and with nice weather, during the flight, there was nothing out of the ordinary to be expected.

The Colonel made himself comfortable and closed his eyes. His brain started to show him his dream from the night before and Jack still did not understand what this was all about. Was it a warning of some sort? Was it just his conscious mind trying to work something out? Or was it his guilt he felt towards his dead friends? He didn’t know and was too tired to think about it. With that, he drifted off to sleep.

Xxx

Sam sat in her lab and worked on an artefact that she had on her shelf for quite a while now. Glancing at her watch, she realised that her CO was coming back today and by the time it was now he would have landed at Petersons already. She had missed him for the last three days. He always knew how to cheer her up. The childish behaviour he had from time to time and his funny and sometimes stupid comments, made her laugh even though she didn’t show it all the time.

She heard a knock on the door and as she checked out who it was, Daniel her teammate and friend were standing in the door frame.

“Hey Sam, care for a late lunch?” The young man came closer now and showed some interest in her work.

“Sure, just let me finish this. It will only take another few seconds.” With that, she turned her attention back to her table.

“You heard anything from Jack? He is coming back today, isn’t he?” Daniel questioned while trying to remember if he had his memory right.

“Yes, the Colonel comes back today. His plane started at 12:00 and if all has gone well, he has landed by now. Knowing him he will come straight away to the base, inform the General, and say hello to his team and friends.” Sam smiled and finished the sentence with `I hope` in her head.

“If he has landed already, he needs around 30 min driving time to get from Petersons to here. Add some time for the embarkation and I would say we have another 45 minutes of peace and quiet.” He grinned with that comment and Sam knew he was joking.

“You are right, and I am done. Let’s get something to eat. I never realised that I am starving already,” Sam replied while putting her tools away and cleaning up her tabletop.

Xxx

The plane with Jack on board had landed right on schedule. A few more clouds had been hanging around, but it didn’t look like it would rain anytime soon. The Colonel had a good sleep and felt rested and ready to face the rest of the day. He had gone through security with no problems and on the street outside the base was already a car from the SGC waiting for him.

The driver, a young Lieutenant, opened the door for the Colonel and helped with the bag. Jack wasn’t sure what he had to think about a service like that. If he would have been a General, he would understand it okay, but he was only at the rank of a Colonel. He would have taken a cab to get up the mountain.

As his driver drove through the streets of Colorado Springs, he saw people working busily in shops and cafes. The roads had been pretty empty for this time of the day and with that, it didn’t take the Colonel long to arrive at his destination. Signing in, he made his way to the office of his CO and friend. He was sure the General was dying to hear all about his test flight.

Knocking on the heavy door, the announcement to come in came just a second later.

“General.” Jack stepped in and saw how the face of the older man behind the desk lit up.

“Colonel, welcome back. Have a seat. You want coffee?” George welcomed his 2IC.

“Sure, why not.” Jack placed his bag in a corner and took the advertised seat on the opposite side from the dark wooden desk.

“How are you doing son? Did you enjoy yourself?” General Hammond picked up the phone and ordered two coffees while asking the questions already.

“It was brilliant. The X 304 is a big improvement in comparison to the X 302. It is an absolute joy to get her to fly. Even if I didn’t test it out, on paper she can pull 11 Gs. This is pretty amazing, and I wonder how hard a pilot would have to train to stand that kind of force.” Jack started to give his friend the first glimpse of what he had experienced.

“I am glad you enjoyed yourself so much. You got a copy of your report for me to read?” George knew that he was not entitled to but asking didn’t cost anything.

“I knew you would be interested, so yes, I got you a copy of my report for you to read.” Jack smiled knowingly.

A knock on the door interrupted the conversation and the General’s aide came in and placed two steaming coffee mugs on the table. “Nice to have you back, Colonel.” The young officer smiled and left the room again without waiting for a reply of the stunned Colonel.

“I’ve been missed?” Jack looked at his friend with surprise written all over his face.

“Course you are. The base isn’t the same without you.” the General smiled and sipped on his hot beverage.

Jack started to feel uncomfortable and changed the subject. “Would you like to have the report now, Sir, or later?”

“Whenever it is convenient. It’s not official as we are not really having anything to do with the development at all. So, no pressure. It’s just pure nosiness.” He smiled; just glad he had the Colonel back in one piece. Good knowing, he was quite prone to attracting all kinds of trouble.

“I have the file right here, Sir.” With that, he got up, opened his bag and fished a brown folder out. Reaching over half the table he held it out to the General who took it immediately out of his hands.

“Thank you, Colonel. You can have the rest of the day off. Go home. Enjoy your life. Tomorrow we will have another little chat after I have read your report and I will fill you in with what is going on in the meantime. SG1 Is on stand down for another three days.” He took another sip and glanced at the file he had in his left hand.

“Thank you, Sir. Have a good day yourself. See you tomorrow.” With that, he got up, grabbed his bag, and left the room just to come back to get his coffee as well, which brought another smile on the General’s face.

Jack headed to the lab of his 2IC. He wanted to see her face and her smile. He knew she would be busy with God knows what she had on her table. The door was open, and he was standing in the door frame. Careful not to make a noise, he watched her work. As he was sure it was safe and she would not ruin anything, he made himself known with a little throat clearing.

The Major looked up and, seeing the man who been standing in her doorway, her face lit up into a big smile. “Colonel, welcome back. How long have you been standing here?” She asked and tried not to blush.

“Just a few seconds. You’ve been busy with your doohickey and I waited for the moment to be safe, so you don’t drop anything important.” He scratched the back of his head like a little boy.

“Oh.” Sam looked at him, without knowing how to respond, thinking it was totally sweet of him to care for her work that much.

“Carter, got any plans tonight?” Jack felt the silence stretch and before it could be extended to the unbearable, he just asked the question he wanted to know the answer to anyway.

“Not at the moment but I sense I will have plans in a minute.” She smiled, guessing already what was to come.

“I was thinking, we haven’t had a team night for a long time. The weather is nice. So why not come around for a BBQ?” Jack proposed.

“Sounds good. You gonna ask Daniel and Teal`c or shall I let them know?” the Major wanted to know.

“Nah, I will go and ask them. You go back to your stuff you are doing right now anyway. Is 19:00 okay with you?” he questioned, knowing it would be fine anyway.

“Sure, I will bring the salad as usual. See you tonight, Sir.” Sam smiled and as her CO left. She went back to her artefact.
Jack made a stop in Daniel’s Lab who was all excited as well, promising to bring some beer in bottles and not in cans like the last time when Jack had told him it was understandable that it was not tasting the same.

Reaching the gym, he could hear the Jaffa already. Giving instructions to some young new members of the SGC in fighting techniques. The Colonel stepped in and waited on the side until his friend dismissed his class and had time for him. He definitely didn’t want to interrupt anything. He knew how seriously his alien friend took his job as an instructor.

“O`Neill, it is a pleasure for me to see you back. Are you well?” Teal`c asked without any facial expression.

“Doing good, my friend. Doing good. Just wanted to ask you if you would come tonight for a BBQ and a bit of fun. Sam and Daniel are coming too.” Jack beamed, already looking forward to some quality time with his friends.

“It will be an honour for me, O`Neill,” Teal`c replied.

“Great, I think Daniel said he is giving you a lift.” Jack gave the last of the information before bidding his friend goodbye and heading home.

The few hours Jack had before his friends came, he spent well with organising food and heating up his grill. Checking the time, he realised that it was already time that his team would arrive and so he threw some steaks on it to speed up the process of waiting time.
Just a few seconds later and he heard the engine sound of some cars. A smile crossed his face and he was shouting to the front that he was already waiting in the garden for them.

“Hey, Jack” Daniel was the first one to come and greet his friend.

“Sir.” Sam followed and Teal’c appeared as the last of his friends.

“Hey, kids, make yourselves at home. Dinner is ready in a few minutes.” With that, he dipped a generous amount of beer over the steaks. The sound of sizzling reached Daniels ears and his tummy made itself known which led to Carter breaking out in a little giggle.
The night went well. All four members of SG1 enjoyed themselves and the conversation was held lightly. Laughter filled the air till deep into the night and as they said goodbye it was way past everyone’s bedtime.
------------------------------
TBC

hope you enjoyed that part, it was a bit shorter i know but at least you had something to read :lol: :lol: :lol:
till next time
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

oh, Thanks, Jacky = loved this section of Flames over Phoenix. Such good detail! Felt like I was right there in the story..... :D :D :D

Can't wait for more!
B
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

Thanks B. Makes me a happy camper too know that you like it 😊😊😊
RDA
Monika

Post by Monika »

Hi Jacky,
Thank god it was just a dream. That was a little mean :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (don´t be mad, just kidding).
But with this section you managed to arouse my curiosity again.
I am almost certain that it will not continue so peacefully.

From Monika with love
"As long as I always think of you and wish me somethings which I think is unattainable, there is no reason to be hurt by others."
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

Nah, it doesn't stay that peaceful. Even it isn't my idea, my beta likes the action ect too. I have to write something in to work along her bullet points.

And it shows, you know me well. 😁
RDA
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

next part is here... the angst and drama are about to begin, who don't like reading stuff like this should stop now all the others have fun...
------------------------------
Xxx

Five years later

The phone rang. He picked it up and took a deep breath. His new position had its up and downs. After being a year the head of the SGC he was promoted again and had now a little office in Washington.

“General O`Neill.” He smiled as he listened to the female voice on the other end.

“Sounds great. Looking forward to the weekend. Take care of yourself, Carter.” Putting the receiver down, he looked up at the ceiling. Sometimes it was hard to be here. He missed his old team and he missed the team nights. Looking down at his desk again and the file, which was laying in front of him, he took another deep breath and opened it.

The file contains all the updates from the new X 304. It was finally ready to take its part in the fleet of the United States Air Force in the fight against any alien who might want to invade this planet. Remembering his test flight, he had, he was kept in the loop over the years how the other tests went. On the end, the aircraft passed with flying colours.

In three days, he was expected at Andrews Air Force Base, just a few miles southeast of Washington, D.C. near the town of Morningside in Prince George's County, Maryland. The new aircraft would get his ceremony and the hopes and expectations were high.
He pressed a button on his phone and called his secretary in. Just a few seconds later he could hear the knock.

“Come,” he ordered.

“Sir, how can I help you?” The young officer was smiling. She had not worked long under the new General, which was her boss now, but she liked him. He always had a smile for her and had been nice. She had heard a few things about him and had the deepest respect for him.

“Yes, Lieutenant. I know it’s not your job. But could you do me a favour?” He looked at her and started playing with one of his pens he had on his desk.

“Sure, what can I do to help?” she smiled. He was a General but behaved like a shy schoolboy from time to time.

“A friend of mine is coming on the weekend. Would it be possible to book a table for two in a good restaurant? I have no idea which ones are good so the decision would be lying with you.” He put an apologetic look on his face.

“That is no problem at all, Sir. I will let you know where and when. Can I ask you a question?” She hesitated as it was not really for her to be interested in.

“Sure.” he looked at her with expectations.

“Male or female?” the young officer wanted to know.

“Come again?” Jack looked at her with a totally surprised look on his face.

“Your friend at the weekend. Male or female?” she explained her question.

“I can’t see where this is of your concern?” Jack frowned.

“I am sorry, General, but I was thinking if it is a female friend, I could arrange some flowers as well. But you are right. I was out of line and I want to apologise for that. So just a restaurant for the two of you.” She was already turning around and leaving the office when she heard him calling after her.

“Lieutenant Simmons,” he waited till she turned around again and then continued, “that idea is brilliant. Thank you for your concern. She is a very close friend so a red rose would be fantastic.” He smiled at her, finally.

“Very well, General. I will arrange everything and let you know the results.” She smiled back and closed the door behind her.
Jack stared at the closed door and had to force himself to concentrate again on his job.

Xxx

Sam hung up the phone and smiled. She was so looking forward to seeing Jack again. She missed him and the SGC was so much quieter without him around. She missed his jokes and his smiles. She missed the missions with him, the team nights they all had together and the bond they shared between them. Yes, her new team member was ok, but he wasn’t her Jack.

Looking for Daniel she went through the corridors of the base deep down in Cheyanne Mountain. Whistling to herself and smiling, remembering the moment when she had been with her CO in the lift and he had asked her what the occasion was. She just had told him it was nothing and he had replied with his dry humour that it was still hum worthy. Thinking back then, she never loved Pete the way she would have wished to love someone with whom she really could spend the rest of her life together.

Reaching Daniel’s lab, she discovered that the archaeologist wasn’t there. Walking towards the canteen to grab a bite to eat, she bumped into Teal`c.

“Colonel Carter.” Teal`c acknowledged her.

“Teal`c, nice to see you. How was your visit on Chulak?” Sam smiled, happy to see her alien friend for so many years.

“The pleasure is mine, Colonel Carter. My stay on Chulak was most pleasant.” He bowed his head slightly.

“That’s great. Do you like to eat something? I was just on the way for a quick lunch. I could find Daniel but maybe you would like to join me.” She looked at him and waited for his answer.

“It will be an honour.” His face never changed at all, but Carter knew him quite well now and would have bet her life savings on it that she saw a little smile on his face.

Xxx

Jack woke up early. Today was the ceremonial day and he had to get ready. His schedule was tight, and a car would pick him up at 08:00. Looking outside of his apartment, he saw everything apart from his garden. Oh, how he missed the green and the roses bushes. Here in Washington was one house close to the next. Yes, this city had threes too but like any big city, just not enough. If he had time, and that was a very big if, he would have chosen one of the 14 parks which had been in or around Washington.

He finished dressing, had a shave and made a mug of coffee. Staring into the cup where the black liquid was, he saw Daniel’s face. The younger man seemed to live on coffee from time to time. Checking his watch, he had about five minutes left till his car would arrive. Time to slowly walk down. He always could wait on the sidewalk and watch the people walking by. Everybody was always in such a hurry; nobody just took the time and stayed still for a bit to talk. Not that he needed to talk but he never saw other pedestrians stopping either.

Stepping out of the building, the street noise hit him full force. He put on his sunglasses and just stood there. Jack was thinking to himself, if he would pass by and would see a two-star General just standing there, he would wonder himself what was going on. His stars, medals, and ribbons mirrored the sunbeams which were coming out as he waited. Praying silently that the car would come sooner than later as he realised that people started staring at him. `Yep, sure. I would do that too’ he thought and was ever so happy when his driver pulled up.

Jack knew that the drive would only take around 30 minutes and it was not worth it to get comfortable. Looking out the window, he saw more and more people walking up and down the streets running after a bus or waving for a cab.
Before he knew it, the base came into view. The ceremony would be held in the main field. For that, the whole air space was closed around the joint airbase. Higher ranked officers than he would attend and the President himself. He saw the podium with the aircraft standing behind. A red carpet and lots of chairs, all in a tidy three blocks. Getting out of the car, he looked around. So far there was no one else here. Checking the time again, he could see why. He was way too early but better early than late.

The time flew by, more and more officers arrived. The place filled up very fast and Jack got caught up more and more in small talks. The time came and a voice, over some big speakers next to the podium announced that everybody had to be seated.
The talks quieted down and the commanding officer of Andrews airbase, Colonel Tyler R. Schaff, stepped up to the microphone.

“I am happy to join you for the launching ceremony of X 304 Raptor. I am also glad to note that the United States Air Force has chosen Andrews Air Force Base to host the launching event in recognition of the role Andrews Air Force Base plays as a leading hub for Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul.” Colonel Schaff continued with his long speech and Jack began to get the feeling of getting bored. Looking around and seeing all those brasses, he became aware that he was not alone. He could see the uneasy shifting of a General in his chair and the yawing of another. Soft whispers from the two officers next to him put his mind at ease that he was not alone.

Finally, the Colonel on the podium had finished. He invited all guests to join him on the runway to witness the new fleet rolling by.
So far there were about ten X 304 in existence and Jack loved the picture of the rolling one after another down the runway, getting lined up and started. He knew that the pilots who were sitting in it had been highly trained and it didn’t surprise him when he saw a formation coming into place when the flyby happened.

Applause rose and the volume of cheers erupted dramatically. The picture of the X 304 formation gave Jack some goosebumps. He remembered the time back five years ago when he had the honour to have the first test flight in the new aircraft. It was a joy and he was sure that with his suggestions for improvements, the aircraft was just perfect in every way.

He looked around. Congratulations and handshakes had been flying around between everyone and even he got his fair share of it. God forbid it would ever happen, but if aliens were invading the planet, they would be armed.

Xxx

6 months later,

Jack was sitting in his office as he got a very disturbing phone call. A satellite, orbiting the planet had picked up signs of an alien ship. He knew that only one alien ship may not be a larger threat, but he also knew if they are hostile, they could do a lot of damage.
He phoned the President, a good friend of his, and told him what happened. A meeting was called to investigate further steps. Nobody knew which race it was and so far, they had been too far away to make anything out.

The conclusion of the meeting at the end was to observe what would happen and to stand united in preparation.
It took another three days till the alien ship was close enough to see what kind of race it would be. To Jack’s more or less surprise, he didn’t recognize the ship at all. He had contacted the Tok`ra and the Asgard but neither of them had replied yet. So, everyone just had to wait on what would happen.

The General was a man of action and he missed it sometimes. Now he had to be patient again and wait. It was not in his interest to shoot first and send flowers later. He had learned that lesson a long time ago. If they would be friendly then maybe and only maybe, the human race would have found a new ally.

With time, he had learned how to work with computers. Checking his emails, he had found four new updates regarding the alien ship. The last one he found quite disturbing.

Now it wasn’t only one ship, no it seemed like there was a whole fleet from a minimum of 50 ships. That’s what he called a threat already. If you are friendly you would not come with that large a number of ships. He phoned the SGC who he kept in the loop the whole time and then he had Luke Air Force Base on the phone.

By now, Luke Air Force Base, about 15 miles west of Phoenix, Arizona, was the main base where all the aircrafts had been stationed in a fight against aliens who might want a piece of that beautiful planet which was occupied by the Tauri.

Jack gave the call for standby and knew that about 100 highly trained pilots would get ready instantly to defend their home planet. He wished they would have more than the 30 already built new X 304’s but it was always the same with the money. It was still the same old same old cliché and that just had to do.

His fingers were itching. He was way over the peak to be a fighter pilot, but he would love to join the air battle and just once more get his hands on the pulse. He knew the Air Force had very capable pilots in their ranks and, still, he wanted to join. Good knowing it wasn’t possible in his position. Who on earth would let a two-star General join an air battle?

Deep in his thoughts and fighting his inner demons, the phone rang pulling him back to reality. Picking up the receiver, he desperately tried to clear his mind. Now was not the time for dreams of a time long gone.

“Sir?” Jack had the President on the line. Wondering why he personally would phone him.

“Are you sure?” the Generals frowning face turned around into a big grin.

“Sure, I can be there, that is not a problem, Sir. Thank you and, of course, same to you, sir.” Jack hung up the phone and stared at it for over a minute.

He just received very disturbing news but at the same time very good news. Torn between his feelings, he stood up, walked over to his cupboard where he had a spare uniform for emergencies and got changed. Calling his secretary, he informed her that he would have to leave for a few days and all his meetings had to be rearranged.

The car for him was waiting already when he stepped out on the street in broad daylight. His flight from Andrews airbase was arranged and would bring him to his destination.

Xxx

The flight was over before it had really begun. The sun was shining, and the temperatures were near the boiling point. He walked to the office where he had his meeting with the Commander of the base and would get his instructions. Still not sure why he was really here he knocked on the office door as he waited for the call.

“Come,” a deep voice barked.

Jack opened the door and stepped through. The office he saw was similar to every other office he had seen so far. The flag of the Air Force and the United States of America was on a pole to each side of the big heavy dark wooden desk. Ribbons and medals were hanging on the walls and the Colonel he knew from a few months ago stood up to greet him.

“General O`Neill I assume” Colonel Schaff held out his hand to form a textbook salute

“In the flesh,” Jack replied with a salute and took the chair he been offered.

“General, it is an honour to have you back here. I had been informed that you were coming and as the most experienced officer in the Air Force dealing with hostile aliens, the president himself had asked for you to be the leading pilot. We have an X 304 ready for you with the data from five years ago so all the setups should be in working order. I also have been informed that by now there have been over a hundred ships visible and it will only take another day for them to reach the orbit.” He cleared his throat before he continued.

“So far, the aliens have been not responding to hails. Any attempt to make contact failed. I would like to have you ready in one hour. Go over the instruments again if you have to and then you will start with all the other pilots. I have information that the fleet of X 302 from Nellis Air Force Base will join you in about three hours. Altogether we have about 150 aircraft in the fight for the planet. God stay by w every man and woman who fight for their right to live, for their right to be free and for all the humans on this planet who do not even have a clue what’s going on. God bless you General O’Neill and I hope all of our men and women will come back safe.” He stood up and performed another salute which showed his deepest respect for the man he had in front of his desk.

“Thank you, Colonel. I will do my best to bring the troops back home safely.” Replying with a salute, he left the office. He went to his quarters and picked up his phone. He had to make a call to the only human on this earth he wanted to speak to before his mission.

“Hey,” he spoke softly, his heart hurting because he couldn’t hold her.

“I just wanted to tell you that for a few days you can’t reach me. I have been assigned to a mission as the lead pilot for that alien problem that seems to have not resolved itself. I just wanted to hear your voice.” He closed his eyes while listening to the sweetest voice on this planet. He missed her touch, her breath, her words and wisdom. He missed touching her, breathing and snuggling up to her and the laughter and deep conversations they had.

The phone call only lasted about five minutes, but it had been the best five minutes in his life to this point. He didn’t know if he would come back, he didn’t know the outcome at all. Only that his planet was ready to get to defend itself.

Her words echoed in his head as she had told him that she loved him and that he better come back to her. Too many days had gone by already without him and that she missed him dearly. Jack recalled that her voice became dry at the end. He could tell she was fighting the tears and swallowed them. But she was a soldier like him. She knew how the game was played and what an honourable officer her General was. Jack clung to the phone and took a deep breath for another minute before getting ready for his mission.

Xxx

Walking over to the hangar where his workplace waited for him, he met up with Lieutenant Colonel Sanders. Both men were happy to meet each other again. Jack was surprised to see him here, but the Colonel explained that with the main base for the X 304 here near Phoenix, he was transferred as the head of maintenance as he was the most experienced mechanic. He had trained a few officers under his command who were now counted as the elite.

Sanders explained to Jack the new updates and little toys they had installed since the last time he had the pleasure to fly one of those birds. He could see the excitement in the General’s face as he continued to cross off every point on the list.

The time had come. All pilots had been ready in their workplaces and lined up. One after another they started into the air. It didn’t take long till the aircraft from Nellis Air Force Base joined them in the fight to defend the planet.

The alien ships arrived in the atmosphere over Phoenix and one of the biggest air battles started to emerge.
The last time such a battle happened was when Anubis tried to conquer the planet over Antarctica. Back then, he lost due to the determination of the young pilots who were willing to give their lives. The same seemed to happen now. Trained manoeuvre information showed the class those pilots had. General Jack O’Neill was proud. He had the best of the best on his side.

Giving orders and seeing them followed warmed his heart. The battle seemed over before it really had begun. The alien ships for whoever had seemed surprised at the resistance of the Tauri. They lost one after another of their fleet.

Jack had received an update which was telling him that the remaining ships in orbit retrieved themselves and the danger was equalised.
He didn’t see the little enemy ship coming out of nowhere. A beep on his instruments told him that he was targeted and a device like a missile had been launched in his direction. Trying to pull to the right out of harm’s way didn’t solve the issue. The projectile just followed him. In a split second, a thousand thoughts were shouting through his head. He had Carter and the promise he would come back safely, the recognition that the rocket had to work with a heat sensor and half of his life just flashed before his eyes. Looking left and right, he saw other pilots still fighting off the last of the enemies and he had to make a difficult decision: trying to fly into the mountains and risking a very dangerous manoeuvre or ejecting out of the plane.

Time was running out and he realised that he didn’t have enough time for the mountains anymore. The General made his last call to tell the tower and the guys who were sitting at the controls that he had to punch out.
Closing his eyes, he pulled the lever, the golden deck opened, and Jack in his seat was thrown out. Not even a second too early or too late. The rocket hit the X 304. Jack felt the shockwave. It was hitting him with such a strong force that he knocked his head against the seat so hard that he lost his consciousness. The impact was just too much. A thin line of blood trickled down his left temple. The parachute opened and gently he glided towards the earth.

Xxx

“We lost contact with Charlie Cobra!” an officer shouted in the tower after he received the message, he didn’t want to hear at all.
The radar had shown the little dots of their own aircraft and how fast the enemy’s vessels vanished. Till now, they didn’t lose one of their own that led to the conclusion that the aliens were very inexperienced. Why such a race would attack another planet would always be a question. Maybe with time, there would be an answer. Right now, there was none.

More and more pair of eyes glued themselves to the screen desperately searching for the little yellow dot which been there a second before.

“Charlie Cobra do you read me?” demanded the young voice of the operator.

Nothing. Second, by second the silence stretched. The question was repeated three more times with the same result.
The CO of this operation on the ground already started to get a group together to search for the missing General. Taking the last known position into account with the wind speed and the altitude, a radius from three miles was pointed out where the chute had come down. It still would take them a few hours to get to the destination as it was forest and woodland.

Xxx

“Have you seen that?” a young boy called out to his friend.

“Nah, whatcha mean?” his friend replied not really interested.

“Something fell from the sky” the boy pointed with his little finger in the direction he was claiming to have seen something.

“Probably just some aircraft materiel from the battle. I would not be worrying about it. Some official guys will come, collect everything and the less we know the better. Believe me, Eric, it is for the better. Besides, what do you want to do with alien technology? You are far too young anyway,” the older boy explained.

“But Connor, I am eight years already.” Eric complained before continuing, “and it wasn’t anything like that. It looked different. What if…” he was cut off by his friend.

“I said leave it. That’s the end of the conversation.” Connor was drawing a line and stomped off with his hands in his pocket.

“Don’t leave me.” The little boy cried and ran after his friend.

Xxx

The parachute with the seat and still unconscious General in it came to a halt in the crown of a very high tree. The branches were bending under the new weight but didn’t break. Coming to a crashing and noise breaking halt, the seat was swinging gently in the light wind. The slumped figure was only holding in the seat by its belt. A soft moan escaped but nothing else. Some little, strong branches had cut the soft skin in the General’s face and the fabric of his G – suit. More and more blood became visible.
----------------------------------------------
TBC

You may wonder yourself if this would be possible in real life, letting Jack participate in an air battle in his position. I am not sure but it is a fictional story were everything can happen and it was one of the bulletpoints on my list. :D :D :D
I do hope that all you lovely people who read and enjoy the story so far had some fun. Thanks...
RDA
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Oh, LOVE LOVE LOVE this chapter, Jacky. General Jack O'Neill would have wanted to lead this battle.......and, how nice that he had to punch out.

You did so good and now we wait for the next part! We will be patient!

THANKS for writing - looking forward to more!
B
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

Thanks B. So nice to know you like and following the story and have fun with it. Makes me a happy camper...
RDA
Monika

Post by Monika »

Hello Jacky,
Thanks for this exciting episode.
Who else but General Jack O`Neill could have piloted these young pilots.
Now we all hope that Jack will be found in time.
Continuation is eagerly awaited.

From Monika with love
"As long as I always think of you and wish me somethings which I think is unattainable, there is no reason to be hurt by others."
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

Thank you Monika, glad you still enjoy the story too. Makes me even more a happy camper...
Next section coming soon 😊
RDA