Legend Blog

KateR
Site Admin

Re: Legend Blog

Post by KateR »

themacgyverproject wrote:Here's episode 8: Bone of Contention!
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... ntion.html
And my page is up now, too.
I like the interplay between Legend and Skeeter in the saloon when Skeeter is trying to get his attention.
This is only my opinion, but I'm thinking maybe Skeeter was originally meant to be a lesser character, and his chemistry with RDA was so good that they included him more and more as the episodes progressed. His scenes with RDA are certainly a highlight of the series for me.
The plot in this episode confused the hell out of me. I'll concede to being pretty tired when I watched it so it may just be me, but I wasn't able to follow the characters' motivations and the basic storyline.
LOL! I thought you would like this one because of the mystery and action, but I'll grant you, it is very convoluted.

I think much of the clarification is meant to come from that Nocturnal Intrusion in the office of the oil company, and the picture they found. I think we are meant to assume that Miles and Beth had been an item for at least three years (picture dated 1873), and so from that came Miles's appreciation that fossil hunters and the oil industry could work together, and the subsequent resentment of Kendall, who believed no such thing, over Miles's selling out. So, in the beginning we are led to believe that Miles was a fossil hunter who was killed by the evil oil company for the claim to his site, and Beth is his sister - only to learn later that Miles was allied with the oil company, Beth is more than a sister, and the oil company hired a federal agent to find the murderer, which turns out to be another fossil hunter. A sleight of hand, as it were, plot-wise. Try not to think about it too much. ;)

I admit to being confused too, but I liked the historical references - fossil hunters murdering each other for claims to sites was a real thing at that time and in that place.
Final Analysis:
I don't have too much to say on this one since I wasn't following most of it. I did like the cave setting at the end, and similar to last episode I like that Bartok has been getting more involved. Ranking it #6 out 8.
I think I mentioned before that according to an earlier interview with John de Lancie, they were in the middle of shooting this episode when they got the word that the series had been canceled. And as far as I can remember, he was saying that the dinosaur fossil they were using was REAL. They had it on loan from a museum - which seems like a pretty big risk to me, given that set decoration could have created one. But he remembered the feeling of being so impressed by the "reality" of the whole setting in that cave, and the effort that went into the series in general - when they all got the ax.

Anyway, I look at that dinosaur scene differently, knowing that they went to the trouble of getting the real thing.

This wasn't one of my top favorites back in 1995, but I think I liked it better this time around.

Kate
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

I would like to come again to the Episode 5"THE LIFE, DEATH, AND LIFE OF WILD BILL HICKOK" because I've just watched it today.
I'm late, because I need to watch each episode twice to better understand, (because of my English without translation)

For me, it's the best episode I've seen. I've liked the first too, but I put this 5th in my first place.

Have you seen the little default of shoot? ;)
In the scene in Legend's room, when all people come in.
Skeeter makes him sniff something and his nose is a little dirty. During, the dialogues, sometimes the nose is dirty et sometimes the nose is clean... :lol: :lol:

I'm going to watch the 6th episode this week end.

Thank you Kate and Nick for you work about Legend, it's a precious help.
But, please, could you be kind enough to write a summary just a little longer for each episode... :D
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Episode 9 (Revenge of the Herd) is still my favorite. :D I've added it to the Lexicon now.

Looking forward to Nick's review. :)

Kate
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

I loved this one too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you can't say anything nice.....

themacgyverproject

Post by themacgyverproject »

Revenge of the Herd is now up on the blog!
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... -herd.html
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

themacgyverproject wrote:Revenge of the Herd is now up on the blog!
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... -herd.html
Yay!
Memorable Quote:
There's a sight for every Hungarian's heart: German backsides in retreat! ~Bartok
This one was FULL of memorable quotes - hard to pick just one. It's one of the things I liked so much about the episode - clever and witty banter. Too bad it is the only episode from writer Tim Burns - I would have liked more. A nod also to the director, Bob Balaban, who also plays Harry Parver. I loved the moment in the beginning as Parver is trying to make his way out of the saloon, leaving Legend behind with the Germans - Pratt grabs his jacket and the two end up swatting at each other before he finally notices Sylvester's absence and makes his exit. I wondered how much of that was "directed" and how much just ad lib acting.
Highlight:
The last 8 minutes of the episode where Thunderhooves attacks the hunters and then goes out of control into the town. It's the best scene of the series so far: great drama mixed with hilarity and phenomenal music. I love the moment where Bartok descends from the balloon and tells Legend that Thunderhooves is on the loose, and then they speed away in their motorized vehicle -- very funny and great performances by RDA and de Lancie. And I love RDA's reaction a bit later when he asks where the manual override on Thunderhooves is only to learn that it is inside the head -- "No-hoh-hoh-hoh!"
I thought it managed very well to stay on the side of humor and adventure and not cross over (as it easily could have) into slapstick and schtick. Fun.
I recognized the tall German right away as one of the villains from The Wall.
I recognized him, but I had forgotten how tall he is. I'm used to RDA being the tall one in the scene, but when you put him next to John de Lancie and Reiner Schone he actually looks short. Perhaps that's what sparked the return of the running gag, "He's shorter than I expected." :lol:
Another fun moment when Legend is talking about buffalo migrations and fails to notice the buffalo right behind him
I was impressed last week when they actually rented a real dinosaur skeleton from a museum to do the scenes in the cave, and this week I was impressed that they rented a bunch of buffalo for the scenes on the prairie. Going above and beyond.
Final Analysis:
Great episode! I enjoyed it from beginning to end and would like to watch it again. It had a good plot with a good flow, and I like how Legend's original plan to use Thunderhooves to scare away the hunters ended up backfiring. The German and Native American actors are great, and the ending with Thunderhooves is spectacular. And I love the name "Thunderhooves." If it wasn't obvious already, this is my clear #1 so far.
Yay! We agree completely on this one. It's definitely my #1 favorite. I loved the Towashie character. I really wanted to see more of him in the series. I liked the way they inserted so much humor and still managed to address the serious subject of the senseless near extinction of the buffalo. I liked the adventure, and the way the story evolved from problem, to solution, to the solution unexpectedly creating a new problem.

Enjoyable all around. :)

Kate
PamK1950

Post by PamK1950 »

I agree with the both of you. After watching it again, I'd rank this as my favorite too.
If you can't say anything nice.....

themacgyverproject

I had three of my regulars comment on the blog that they liked it but it wasn't their #1, but I'm with you on this one! My clear favorite so far!
themacgyverproject

Here's episode 10 - Fall of a Legend.
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... egend.html
themacgyverproject

Here's episode 11 -- Clueless in San Francisco
http://themacgyverproject.blogspot.com/ ... cisco.html