Legend Rewatch

GWhite

Legend Rewatch

Post by GWhite »

I’m doing a Legend re-watch, although it’s been so long it’s almost like starting over. I can see why RDA said it was his favorite. He was really able to stretch his wings with Pratt/Legend. I’m loving all the little nuances.

Has anyone else watched/rewatched recently?
bftlovesRDA

Re: Legend Rewatch

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Glad you are rewatching Legend.

No, have not done that recently. Watching SG1 on Comet TV Mon-Thurs night - 3 episodes each night.

Maybe once these go all the way through SG1, I will go back and rewatch Legend.

It is a very cool series.
B
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

I got a digital antenna so I could watch SG1 on CometTV. It isn’t like I have all 10 seasons on DVD ;)
Watching MacGyver on H&I through my cable provider. H&I is over the air, but not in my area.

I’m enjoying the Legend rewatch. It’s really a shame Paramount didn’t go for another season. It’s funny and smart.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

GWhite wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:43 pm I got a digital antenna so I could watch SG1 on CometTV. It isn’t like I have all 10 seasons on DVD ;)
Watching MacGyver on H&I through my cable provider. H&I is over the air, but not in my area.

I’m enjoying the Legend rewatch. It’s really a shame Paramount didn’t go for another season. It’s funny and smart.
Agree so much - hate it that Paramount didn't go for another season.

I will try to find H&I to watch some MacGyver too.
B
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

Umm I was sort of raised Amish so I don't have the television exposure of everyone else when growing up.
May I ask what is Legend? Is it that stand alone western era episode of MacGyver where he firat received the swiss multi-knife from a swiss craftsman heading to California for the gold rush?

I liked that one too.
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

Salem Moses wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:15 am Umm I was sort of raised Amish so I don't have the television exposure of everyone else when growing up.
May I ask what is Legend? Is it that stand alone western era episode of MacGyver where he firat received the swiss multi-knife from a swiss craftsman heading to California for the gold rush?

I liked that one too.
Legend was a science fiction/western series of 12 episodes in 1995. The series was cancelled after the first and only season. RDA played Ernest Pratt, a dime novel writer in Colorado in 1876. He took on the persona of the hero of his novels, Nicodemus Legend - hence the title of the series, Legend.

I watched it when it originally aired and since finding this website, I have been able to rewatch it here.

RDA definitely had fun with this series.

I know I'm late to the party, but I hope this helps.
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

Thank you sincerely and most cordially for your response to this question. There was another media by a similar name "Legend" which I was confused about, thinking RDA was in it with Will Smith. But the two are dissimilar genres, now that I am more learned on RDA's acting career. I can see why he enjoyed fleshing out his character role through acting in this series. There is a warmth associated to most things nostalgia related, simpler times and what-not. But in reality, this is in my view more akin to escapism for most of us too overly burdened with the tidal wave of technology. The buzzing, beeps, alarms, sirens, instant notifications on overload, and the ever frequent memory hogging cellular software updates. I remember visiting an old rotary phone, and enjoyed the simple joy of my finger puling back on the dial numbers and then hearing the whirl as the rotary dial turned back to it's starting place. :-) Maybe, we lose ourselves too easily in the gloss of our imagination, picturing ourselves surrounded by peace and quiet..

Horses tied to the front porch, nary a distant house to dot the rolling sprawl of wildflowers on the landscape, filled to capacity -family dinner table, milk churn sitting in the kitchen -fresh from the cow, and the smell of honeysuckle adrift in the air through an open window. Then at the remains of the day, in the silence of a sunset, a lone wheat stalk gently presses upon my fingertips as I stand under an untouched blue sky. My hands move upwards requiring to grasp firmly my prairie straw hat from the breeze passing by. In ambiance of an underpopulated life, yielding only to an undisturbed moment of serenity.. A memorium of what was once the dream called youth.
MacGyverGirl

Post by MacGyverGirl »

May I say, you are quite eloquent in your writing. I hope you are sharing this gift with others professionally. You are very talented at painting a picture.

I too, enjoy the western genre. Of course I am dating myself by saying that I grew up with the television series, Little House on the Prairie which inspired me to read the books. While life was much more challenging without the technology, the simplicity was something that was appreciated.

It's a shame the series only lasted one season. RDA's smile under that goofy mustache (pardon me to those who liked it, just my opinion) and the often seen flourish in his step made me think he really was having fun.

Growing up in a part of the country rich in Revolutionary War history, I often wished I could go back to that era. Maybe I was born in the wrong time period?
"I say we trust our instincts, go with our gut. You can't program that. That's our edge."
Desert_crossing

Post by Desert_crossing »

Hey all, we are currently travelling to Cornwall for a few days of surfing and in the evening when the sun has set I’ll have a few hours spare time. So, serious question, is this worth watching if you’re not a western fan?
I mean I know it has RDA in, however it’s never really appealed to me. Is it a serious type western or not?
There are very few episodes so I could get it watched over the next 3 days.

Should I…. :|
Surf, watch a sunset, listen to the waves. Live life like it's your last day here, because one day it will be.

Maybe the reason why we love our dogs so much is because the only time they’ll ever break our hearts is when they stop existing.
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Desert_crossing wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:22 pm Hey all, we are currently travelling to Cornwall for a few days of surfing and in the evening when the sun has set I’ll have a few hours spare time. So, serious question, is this worth watching if you’re not a western fan?
I mean I know it has RDA in, however it’s never really appealed to me. Is it a serious type western or not?
There are very few episodes so I could get it watched over the next 3 days.

Should I…. :|
I certainly wouldn't call it a "western" in the typical sense. It takes place in the west, in the 1800s, and has horses. Other than that, with Bartok's many inventions, it's almost as much science fiction as western. There are quirky characters, lots of humor, and interestingly, several of the guest characters are real-life people from history, like President Grant, George Armstrong Custer, and Wild Bill Hickok.

It's light fun that I think would appeal to most RDA fans. Let us know what you think...

Kate