Point Of View - A MacGyver FanFiction

bluegirl

Re: Point Of View - A MacGyver FanFiction

Post by bluegirl »

uniquelyjas wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:22 pm Excellent chapter, and indeed quite a bit of research, historical and otherwise. I think you are the geography queen!!
Oh, Mac is starting to rub off on Nikki as she's now listening to and beginning to follow her instincts. But she isn't wrong!!
Great action and description in this chapter. At lease Pavel and Pete are safe...at least for now! Poor Mac is really beat up and, of course, unconscious. I hope he wakes up in time to meet Nikki...I know he said he has several hours, but I'm still worried! I'd say at least the worst is behind him, meaning the agents, but there are too many chapters left!! LOL!!
The geographical research went well thanks to google earth even showing old satellite pictures from the late 80´s... the historical research thanks to my partner... he´s been serving in the Austrian army quite some time and helped me with details concerning signaling mines, weapons used by the Czech at the time and that kind of stuff...

But is the worst really behind him???
The stuff is already there. I just find a different way to use it.
Wathorighh

Post by Wathorighh »

Wow, I was totally drawn into this chapter. Poor Mac. I'm so curious what he still has to endure or if he gets at least a break. Hope Nikki finds him and can help.
**Andrea**
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Wathorighh wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 am Wow, I was totally drawn into this chapter. Poor Mac. I'm so curious what he still has to endure or if he gets at least a break. Hope Nikki finds him and can help.
Help might also come from someone unexpected...
Daicy

Post by Daicy »

Will the Austrian border guards find him? Will Nikki then look for him in the hospitals?
Daicy :)
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Daicy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 pm Will the Austrian border guards find him? Will Nikki then look for him in the hospitals?
Austrian border guards? Hospital? That would be too easy, don´t you think? 8-) Consider yourself warned of a little surprise...
Daicy

Post by Daicy »

Good good. I will no longer ask and I will be surprised. Today is the 32nd anniversary of the Velvet Revolution. I remember how tanks were running around our house at the time, militias were lining up on the hill above us on the outskirts of Prague, and no one knew what would happen. My daughter was then a year and a half old and husband worked for Czechoslovak television occupied by soldiers. This makes the experience of MacGyver's adventure stronger.
Last edited by Daicy on Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Klasse! Ich mag die Geschichte sehr. Und so viel geschichtliches daran. Du schreibst richtig gut und fesselnd. Danke dafür Susanne :D
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Thanks for all the positive and encouraging feedback! :D :D :D

Just to give you all an impression of how the area, Mac just 'got lost' in, looks like...

So, safety can be a relative thing when it comes to MacGyver... but I also mentioned help coming from someone unexpected...

Here we go with:

Part 6

Nikki had driven back north as fast as she could afford without drawing attention. Fortunately, away from the city, there was only little traffic in the middle of the night. She had reached the small village, which she and Mac had agreed on as a backup meeting point in good time. A glance at her watch told her that it was just past 2 a.m. and she suddenly realized how tired she was. Until now she hadn´t fully noticed how long and exhausting her day had been. But her inner tension kept her going.

As she slowly drove through the dark town, looking out for any sign of MacGyver and searching for their meeting point, she felt very alone. No people on the streets, the houses dark, and many of the small back roads weren´t even equipped with street lights. This part of the Austrian countryside felt a lot different than the one they had passed through in the morning. It seemed old, kind of otherworldly, as if special energies were at work here. And it felt secluded, almost isolated, although it was only a couple of miles away from the inviting, beautiful landscapes she had seen during their first drive due north.

The eerie feeling this village gave her only intensified, the longer she let the sedan roll through the town on her search for MacGyver. Soon she had driven along every single road of the town twice and found no trace of him. Nikki was truly worried by now. She tried to convince herself that she didn´t need to be as their meeting was scheduled for the early morning, and that Mac had probably just found a comfortable and suitable hiding place to spend the night until then, but she wasn´t all too successful in calming herself. Something had gone wrong; in some way, she knew it.

Nikki found a shadowy spot on a side road to park the rental car, turned off engine and lights, and readied herself mentally for waiting, again. She had a good view of their meeting point, but her being there was hidden well by the darkness. By now, the padded leather seats of the high-end sedan didn´t feel too comfortable anymore. But Nikki kept scanning the lonely street with her eyes, striving to stay alert and awake.

After a couple of minutes, she held her breath as she suddenly saw someone nearing their meeting place. At first, she didn´t recognize the man in the dimness of the few street lights, but she froze when she noticed that he wasn´t alone. Instinctively she slid down in her seat to conceal her presence even further. Moments later, when the two men paused next to the opposite corner, she got a good look at their faces.

Zorkin and Baranov.

Nikki´s pulse shot up. How could those two be here already, most probably looking for MacGyver, if he wasn´t anywhere in sight? Glancing cautiously over the dashboard she observed the GRU agents talking about something she couldn´t hear from her hideout. Then they walked off to a parked car and drove away.

Nikki slowly straightened herself in the seat and took a deep breath. Now what? She still had the advantage of knowing them, whereas those two agents weren´t familiar with her face. But how could she put that fact to use? How would she be able to warn MacGyver about them? How could she possibly get to him first, when she had no clue to where he was?

Nikki sat still, staring at the now empty crossroad and into the darkness beyond it, and desperately tried to come up with a solution for minutes, when suddenly someone knocked softly on the car´s window right next to her. She had been so focused on the street in front of her that she hadn´t noticed the man walking up from behind. It almost made her jump out of her skin, but when she turned to see who was there, she froze with surprise. Like in slow motion she relaxed and then turned to open the door of the car, still staring bewildered at the man in front of her.

“Starkoss?” she asked. “How on earth…”

The rotund, grey-haired Russian smiled at her kindly, just as she remembered it from her mission to East Germany almost a year ago. Nikki didn´t finish her question, because she didn´t know what to ask first. Too many questions popped up in her head.

“How I came here is a long story.” he told her. “But we don´t have time for it now. First, we´ve got to help our friend.”

Nikki was speechless for seconds, but then swallowed and took a deep breath. Why was he here? How could he possibly know about all her being here? Or their assignment? There had been no connection whatsoever from the GRU agents to him… Or was he back in the Russian intelligence service? Could he be trusted anyway?

“What are you talking about?” Nikki asked cautiously, trying not to give away anything. She´d been astonished by his abilities last year and still didn´t know what to make of him.

“MacGyver won´t turn up here.” Starkoss stated with a now serious face. “He can´t. We need to help him.”

Nikki gaped at him in surprise and worry after those words.

“What happened to him?” she demanded. “Do you know where Mac is?”

“I couldn´t see all the details.” Starkoss replied with an apologetic shrug. “But I can help you find him.”

Nikki nodded, partly beginning to trust his words.

“Get inside.” she offered and gestured to the passenger door. Starkoss straightened himself, took a step back, but didn´t move around the sedan.

“No.” he said. “We need to leave this car behind. It´s way too noticeable for the neighborhood. We won´t get far before we´d stand out.”

Nikki considered his words for a moment and eyed him probing. It seemed as if he knew his way around here. She might have to rely on him. Right now, he was the only lead she had to MacGyver…

“All right.” she agreed with a frown. “But how do we get to him?”

“We´ll take your bags with us and take my car.” Starkoss advised. “It´s more suitable for the surroundings and the terrain.” He stepped aside to allow Nikki enough room.

Nikki took the keys from the ignition lock after a short moment of hesitation and got out of the car. In the meantime, Starkoss went to the trunk, opened it, retrieved Mac´s duffle from it, and handed Nikki´s bag to her. Nikki took a second to lock up the sedan and then turned to Starkoss with a questioning look.

“Where to?”

Starkoss gestured for her to come with him, then turned to the dark side street and walked off without another word. Nikki had no choice but to follow him. Starkoss led her away from the main street, around two corners into one of the unlit back roads. He approached an old battered VW minibus and opened the sliding side door. When he placed MacGyver´s bag behind the front seats, Nikki noticed that the bus had no seats except for the front row, more like a transporter. She put her bag next to Mac´s and looked at Starkoss expectantly.

“We need to hurry. Get inside.” the older man told her, while he closed the side door and went over to the driver´s side.

Thousands of questions were flashing through Nikki´s head but she knew that now was not the time to ask them. She quickly got into the passenger seat and observed how Starkoss started the engine and drove off. Her concern for MacGyver was back on top and her tiredness was gone due to the adrenaline rush that Starkoss´s sudden appearance has caused. Soon she found herself staring out to dark, unfamiliar roads and realized that she had no idea where Starkoss was taking her. She could only hope and trust that his motives were earnest.

“Starkoss, where are we going?” she abruptly asked the most pressing questions on her mind. “And what do you know about all this?”

She turned to look at him probing and noticed that his concentration wasn´t completely on the street. He seemed to be following some inner feel. Starkoss needed a moment until he responded.

“I know that our friend is in trouble… I know that those GRU agents chose to look for him in the villages after they had lost his trail soon after he had crossed the border fence… I know they are willing to kill for what he carries…” he sighed. “Hopefully we can get to him before they start searching the region closer to the border.”

They had left the town minutes ago and now Starkoss turned off the paved street to a forest road. He had to slow down because of the potholes and the unevenness of the road, but kept a steady pace. Nikki observed silently how he never hesitated on which direction was to take when the road forked or at crossings. Something told her not to disturb his concentration once more, while he drove roughly due north, deeper into the forest.

But how on earth, why on earth did he know about Zorkin and Baranov? How could he know about the intel Mac hopefully had been able to retrieve? What did he know about Mac being in trouble?

Another couple of minutes later Nikki was torn out of her thoughts as she saw the road ending in front of them in the headlights of the minibus. Starkoss let the VW come to stop, bent down and picked up a flashlight from behind the seats. He held it out to Nikki. When she took it from him with a questioning look, he gestured outwards to where the trees began in front of the bus.

“Follow the rock face along the small valley upwards.” he instructed her. “You´ll have to go past the slope. There you will find MacGyver.”

Nikki eyed him questioning, still a little unsure if accompanying him had been a good idea.

“Now go! Quick!” he urged her on, when Nikki didn´t react at once. “I will stay with the bus and make sure that we can leave as soon as you return with him.”

Nikki shot the direction Starkoss had pointed to another hesitant look and then got out of the minibus. The dark forest in front of her reminded her that it was the middle of the night and that she hadn´t slept for a very long time, but with the tension, she now felt inside, there was no room for sleepiness. Grateful that she had chosen casual clothing this morning, with jeans, jogging shoes, and a sweat jacket, to better match Mac´s usual outfit, Nikki turned on the flashlight and walked off towards the rock face Starkoss had told her to follow.

Her thoughts went back to last year while she carefully made her way through the trees. Some secluded forest, darkness in the middle of the night, and she´d been separated from MacGyver. There were certain similarities. Last year she had given in quickly to believing that Starkoss had ‘special abilities’, whereas Mac had chided her for it and remained skeptical. Last year all had worked out fine thanks to Mac´s crazy idea of building a hot-air balloon. But what had happened to Starkoss since he had left them as soon as they had crossed the border? How could he turn up here, out of the blue?

Her concentration was forced back to the ground ahead of her as she reached a rocky slope along the cliff she´d been following a couple of moments later. Waving the beam of the flashlight in front of her she hurriedly climbed upward between the huge rocks and the old trees. She stopped for a moment at the top of the slope and reoriented herself.

The moon cast long shadows on the ground of the open forest she faced. She scanned around herself with the light beam as she slowly stepped forward. Starkoss had told her, she´d find MacGyver after she´d passed some slope, and all her senses were on high alert. It was perfectly quiet up here. The only thing to hear were her own steps rustling through the high-grown grass and the dried-up leaves on the ground.

Nikki sighed as the realization of how strange her situation was hit home. Alone in some unfamiliar dark forest, following the information a Russian psychic had provided her with.

Drawing a deep breath and straightening herself, she fought back her worries and focused on her search. If MacGyver had been in trouble, as Starkoss had put it, he had probably gone hiding up here… But where?

Nikki turned to all sides, kept the flashlight in front of her and tried to imagine what Mac might have chosen as a shelter. When she waved the light over some bushes close to the rock face, she noticed something tiny blinking through the coarse grass. Intrigued, but not knowing if it had anything to do with Mac, unable to see any detail yet, Nikki stepped closer to that little blinking thing.

She was still several feet away when she recognized it as a golden ring on a limp and bloodstained hand. Her stomach turned into a tight knot, she drew in a sharp breath and rushed forward.

“MacGyver!” she called out as the flashlight caught on part of his tousled, golden-brown hair. “Mac!”

Alarmed Nikki saw that he didn´t react to her shout, didn´t move even a bit. With the help of the light she was able to make out his whole lying form, quickly crawled between the thicket and Mac and crouched down next to him. MacGyver was lying half on his right side, half on his front, his right arm folded under himself while his left arm was stretched out, preventing Nikki from seeing his face. Luckily, the light had reflected off the fake wedding ring on his left hand and had caught her eye.

She got a quick overview of his motionless body with the flashlight and then cautiously touched him at the shoulder. She felt him breathing shallow and shivering. His clothes were damp and cold.

“MacGyver?” she tried again, but still got no response. Nikki shook him softly. “Mac?”

Nothing.

Her pulse and concern shot up. A sudden icy cold spread through her. Nikki laid the flashlight aside directed at Mac, so it would still allow her to see, but she would be able to use both of her hands. Then she cautiously pulled back Mac´s left arm to get a look at his face. What she found was pale and covered with sweat. She realized, she would have to turn him around to be able to better assess his condition. Nikki took a deep breath to steel herself for whatever she might be about to see. The bloodstains on his hands made her anxious. Then she slowly pulled and pushed his shoulder up and back to gain access to his front side.

MacGyver´s mind was confused at first. In the silence that surrounded him when he regained consciousness, he had no clue to how long he´d been out. But in the next moment, as he remembered the dire situation he´d been in, he felt someone hold on to his bruised left shoulder and push at it, trying to turn him around. The alarm about not knowing who was next to him hit him in the same second as the pain from all his injuries returned and flooded his senses.

Mac groaned in agony, his body stiffened and turned away from the hands holding him. Instinctively he tried to get up and raised his arms to fend off whoever was there before he hadn´t even opened his eyes. The hands left his shoulder but quickly caught his wrists. At the same time, he heard a familiar female voice call out to him.

“Mac, stop it! … It´s me! It´s Nikki… Look at me!”

With his body still tense and ready to fight, Mac forced his eyes open and squinted at the unexpected brightness of the flashlight pointing at him. Slowly Nikki´s face came into focus.

“Nikki?” he breathed hoarsely and unbelieving.

“Yes, Mac. It´s okay.” she reassured him. “I´m here to help you.”

MacGyver puffed out the breath he´d been holding and allowed his body to relax and drop back to the ground. When Nikki released his wrists, his arms also fell down weak. He tried to calm down his labored breathing, but instantly went into a coughing fit that made him curl up on his side with the burning ache it caused to his chest and his side. Nikki´s hands were back fast; one at the back of his shoulder, the other one on the top of his head, trying to comfort him.

When he had settled down, Nikki encouraged him to roll over to his back with gentle force. MacGyver raised his right hand to cover his eyes as shivers ran up and down his body. His breathing was still ragged. He felt Nikki turn around his left hand and spread out his fingers. Mac winced as the tears in his palm were painfully pulled apart. He heard Nikki draw in a sharp breath and then apologize to him.

“I´m sorry.”

Mac nodded silently and ran his right hand through his hair. He looked up to watch Nikki how she rested his hand on her lap and reached for her scarf. She rolled it up lengthwise, wrapped it around Mac´s palm, pulled it tight and tied a knot around his wrist. MacGyver bit back a moan and winced again.

“Sorry.” Nikki said once more. “But that´s still bleeding. We need to stop that.”

When she examined him further, Nikki quickly noticed the tear in his shirt, cautiously pulled the fabric away and felt that it was wet and sticky with blood. She froze for a moment when her eyes caught on the deep gash across his ribs. Then she looked up at Mac and saw the pained grimace on his face. He bit his lower lip to keep another moan from escaping.

“Bullet graze?” she asked.

MacGyver turned his head a little and his dark and exhausted eyes found Nikki´s.

“Yeah.” he answered hoarsely. “Crossing the border fence was kind of a tight matter.”

A faint smile played around his lips for a moment. Nikki returned the smile but it stayed concerned.

“There´s also still blood seeping out of it.” she told him worried. “But I don´t have anything with me to cover that wound.”

MacGyver waited out another round of shivers and struggled to keep his focus on Nikki.

“Should have stopped by now.” he replied through painfully clenched teeth. “Probably caused by the aspirin.”

Nikki raised her eyebrows questioning as she reached up, brushed back his sweat-matted hair and then laid the hand on his forehead. She had seen him trembling, but only now noticed how high his temperature was.

“You´re running a high fever.” she opposed. “The effects of the aspirin have obviously worn off.”

MacGyver weakly shook his head.

“Only the short time ones…” he automatically explained with a breaking voice. “Aspirin slows down blood coagulation for several days…”

Mac had to close his eyes and went coughing again. Nikki watched him, while she stroked over his unruly hair and then gently cupped his cheek in her hand in an attempt to help stabilize Mac´s head. Suddenly an important thought crossed MacGyver´s mind and he forced his eyes open and concentrated on her.

“Nikki, where´s Pavel Dubcek?” he asked tensely.

“Safe with Pete in Vienna.” Nikki assured him. “We crossed the border according to your instructions and after I had taken him to Pete, I came back to look for you.”

Mac nodded weakly. He took a moment to gather a little energy, then opened a few buttons of his shirt, slid his right hand inside and tore the film can off his skin. Nikki quickly grabbed his shaking hand into both of hers and wanted to take the film from him, but Mac didn´t let go of it yet.

“This film… shows all the documents.” he told her between shivers, still with a croaking voice. “That´s the other part… of what we came for… you must take this to Pete as well… it´s important.”

His eyes were pleading and demanding at the same time, and Nikki´s face grew serious.

“I will, MacGyver.” she responded with an earnest expression. “I promise.”

Nikki felt his grip loosen as he now allowed her to take the film can from his hand. Mac watched closely how she stuffed the duct tape-wrapped film can into the inner pocket of her jacket and only then let go of his tension.

His hand dropped down, and his eyes closed again while he was striving to calm down his labored breathing. Nikki´s slender hand returned to his forehead, then to his cheek. It felt pleasantly cool on his heated skin. Somehow it helped him keep his focus on surviving in his feverish, dizzy, and agonized condition. It eased his headache a bit and he leaned a little into her touch.

“Mac?” he heard her address him. “We need to get you out of here.”

MacGyver blinked his eyes open and found her concerned face.

“Can you get up?” Nikki continued when she felt she had his attention. “Can you walk?”

MacGyver needed a moment to assess himself after her question.

“Don´t know.” he answered with a weak and apologetic smile.

Nikki returned the smile but sighed.

“That wasn´t really meant to be a question.” she said. “You know, I can´t carry you.”

“Oh.” Mac raised his eyebrows in understanding and nodded with a weak grin. “Too bad.”

“We don´t have to go very far.” Nikki added with a glance to the direction she had come from, encouraging him. “Down that slope and a few minutes through the forest to the car.”

MacGyver nodded again and took a deep breath to brace himself for that task. It would be painful and he wasn´t sure if he still had enough energy left. Just to remain lying here seemed so much easier. But he knew, he had to. He badly needed medical help. Fast.

Nikki leaned over him and wrapped his right arm around her shoulders and neck.

“Hold on.” she advised while she slid one hand under his shoulder and grabbed onto his right wrist with the other one. “Ready?”

MacGyver drew in another deep breath, held it, and nodded once more.

“Yeah… you know me… always prepared.” he joked feebly at the tense situation.

Nikki couldn´t help but smile for a moment.

In the next, the simple movement of pushing himself off the ground, of sitting up sent a sharp flash of agony through MacGyver´s right side, and caused his body to stiffen instantly. He groaned, tightened his hold on Nikki and buried his face at her shoulder as soon as he was sitting upright. Nikki gave him a few seconds to recover before she grabbed onto his belt and urged him to get on his feet.

Mac had to lean on her when he was standing, but managed to concentrate on the direction that she had indicated earlier. He hadn´t noticed when she had pocketed the flashlight, however now she let go of his wrist, pulled it out and pointed the light beam in front of them.

“Let´s go.” she almost ordered him while her left hand kept a firm grip on his belt around his back.

Mac had no choice but to follow her movement. He tried hard to distract himself by keeping his eyes and his concentration on the way ahead; nevertheless, every step jarred his right side and his wound where it was pressed against Nikki´s body. By the time they had reached the bottom of the slope, Mac was worn out. When they passed a large boulder, he held on to it with his left hand and stopped.

“Nikki...” he breathed. “Wait… I need to take a break.”

When Nikki stopped with him, he leaned against the rock with his back and let go of his hold on her. Mac instantly covered the gash on his side with his hand and bent over a little. Nikki observed him closely, while he took one deep breath after another, but couldn´t stop himself from coughing in between. She laid a comforting hand on his shoulder and could feel him trembling with the strain.

“Would it be easier if you held on to me with your left arm?” she asked with concern.

“I don´t think, I could with the bruised shoulder and the torn hand.” he replied with a low voice while he shook his head, still concentrated on his inside. After a couple of moments, he was able to push back the exhaustion and the throbbing in his chest a bit. When he slowly, gingerly straightened himself and looked at Nikki standing in front of him in the dark forest, a sudden thought popped into his mind.

If the car is parked that close… how did she know where to go looking for me? Myself, I only had a rough idea of where I was when I collapsed up there…

“Nikki, how did you know where to find me?”

Nikki took a deep breath. Now, how could she explain that?

“With a little help from a friend.” she admitted.

“You´ve got a friend around here?” Mac raised his eyebrows surprised.

“No… we have.” Nikki shook her head with a little smile.

Now confusion added to Mac´s surprised expression.

“What? … I don´t know…”

“You´ll see in a few minutes.” Nikki cut him off. She chose to let the situation explain itself. As soon as he´ll see Starkoss, he´ll understand, she thought to herself. “Now, come on.” she continued aloud. “We´d better get going again.”

She reached out to offer her help. MacGyver sighed, hesitated for a moment, but then gave in and wrapped his arm around her shoulders once more. Noticing how willingly he relied on her support made Nikki worry even more about MacGyver´s condition. She had seen him sick and wounded before, but never that bad. She could feel the feverish heat radiating from his body as they walked on. She could feel his usually strong body being unsteady and shaking because of fever, pain, and exhaustion. She could feel him getting weaker with every step. She had to get him medical help – the sooner, the better.

With gentle force, she urged him on toward the end of the forest road, where she had left Starkoss. Soon she got a glimpse at the VW minibus through the trees. Starkoss had already turned it around to be able to take off at once and was waiting next to it. When he heard them making their way through the woods, he turned and quickly came towards Mac and Nikki. MacGyver had slowed down a little as he´d seen the minibus instead of their rental sedan and stopped abruptly in the second he recognized the man hurrying closer.

“How on earth…?” he muttered more to himself.

“He came up to me and offered his help when I was searching the village for you.” Nikki explained to MacGyver.

Mac stared at the older man baffled as Starkoss walked up to his left side and took hold of Mac´s left forearm. MacGyver hadn´t counted on seeing him ever again after they had said goodbye almost one year ago. But here he was… How? Why?

“That´s a long story, my friend.” Starkoss answered the questions on Mac´s mind with a kind smile. “I´ll tell you once you´ve recovered, but for now, just let me help you.”

MacGyver only nodded silently. With Starkoss now steadying him on his left side, Mac could loosen his hold on Nikki´s shoulders, which lessened the pressure on his chest wound a lot. Yet the dizziness he had felt since Nikki had awakened him had turned into a full-blown vertigo by now. The trees and the ground seemed to be moving around him while they approached the old VW. Focusing his eyes got more and more difficult.

“I think, you´d better lie down behind the seats.” Starkoss suggested while he opened the sliding side door.

He grabbed a blanket, quickly spread it out on the floor of the minibus and then motioned for MacGyver to get inside. With Nikki´s assistance, Mac climbed into the vehicle and, with a relieved sigh, lay down on his back. When Nikki turned to Starkoss, he was already standing beside her with the first aid kit in his hands.

MacGyver closed his eyes, while Nikki opened up his shirt to be able to take care of his bullet wound. He barely reacted as she cleaned it up a little, covered it securely with a dressing, and also switched the scarf around his hand for a suitable bandage. He was too occupied with trying to breathe regularly, dealing with his exhaustion, and fighting back the vertigo. He knew that his injuries weren´t all too serious, but combined with the fever probably caused by the cold and the strain of having to flee and run through the woods for hours, it left him feeling really lousy. He was wasted. He desperately longed for some rest, for some sleep.

Moments after Nikki was done, Mac´s concentration was caught by a large hand placed firmly on his forehead. Only seconds later he felt a bit of a pleasant coolness spreading through his body and sensed his pain lessen a little. MacGyver relaxed his tense body thanks to that feeling, but was also intrigued by how it could be possible. He forced his eyes open, and his questioning look was met by Starkoss´s concerned smile.

“Better?” the older man asked.

MacGyver nodded weakly but kept up his puzzled gaze silently.

“I can´t take away all of the pain.” Starkoss added with an apologetic shrug. “But I can make it a little easier for you.”

Mac nodded again. Suddenly it didn´t seem too important anymore how Starkoss had managed to do it. He just appreciated how much more comfortable he felt.

“Thanks.” Mac said with a feeble smile.

In the meantime, Nikki had retrieved a bottle of water from her bag and returned to Mac´s side.

“Thirsty?” she wanted to know.

Starkoss slowly and carefully pulled back his hand and moved aside to allow Nikki more room. MacGyver´s eyes switched first to Nikki´s face and then caught on the bottle in her hand.

“Yeah.” he replied, lifted his head a little, and started to push himself up.

Nikki quickly moved closer to his side and assisted him by wrapping one arm around his shoulders. She steadied him when she felt him sway a little as soon as he was sitting upright.

MacGyver took the offered bottle from her and instantly opened it. Due to the chase that had lasted hours and the high fever he felt parched. He swallowed the water in large gulps, savoring the feel of the cool liquid running down his sore throat.

“Careful, Mac.” He heard Nikki from behind. “Mind your weakened circulation.”

MacGyver put down the half-emptied bottle out of breath. Only a moment later the cool water in his stomach made him shudder. He felt Nikki take the bottle from his hands, grab on onto his shoulders and cautiously pull him back a little until he was leaning against her. Suddenly everything seemed to be moving around him again. Mac´s breath quickened, and he had to close his eyes.

“We´d better get going.” He heard Nikki say.

“Keep him warm.” Starkoss replied and then the sliding door was closed.

Abruptly Mac felt trapped in the unfamiliar bus. Out of survival instinct, without thinking about it, he tried to rise and get up.

“Don´t, Mac!” Nikki called out to him and tightened her hold on him. “It´s okay… Calm down!”

Nikki´s voice drew him out of his sudden feverish fright; his dark eyes darted around the minibus and finally found Nikki´s worried face. He hesitated when Nikki tried to lower him.

“It´s all right.” Nikki continued. “You´re safe… I´m just trying to make you comfortable.”

Slowly MacGyver relaxed and nodded. He sank back against Nikki and felt her wrap one arm around him while the other one reached out for a blanket and covered him with it. Cautiously she adjusted her position until Mac´s upper body was lying on her lap and his head resting against her arm. He knew the closeness of her body should have helped him getting warmer but he couldn´t stop the shivers running over him.

MacGyver fought to calm down his labored breathing and keep his focus on Nikki, but bit by bit felt exhaustion and dizziness take over. Then Starkoss started the engine and took off. The movement of the minibus on the uneven road jarred the wound on his side over and over again, and Mac bit back a moan with almost every pothole. After a few minutes, he allowed his eyes to close and instantly felt Nikki´s free hand touch his forehead and stroke back his sweat-matted hair.

“Is it bearable?”

Mac could hear how much it troubled her to watch him like this.

“Are you all right?”

Mac managed to blink his eyes open with quite an effort and looked up at her.

“No… but I´ll live.” he replied with a breaking voice between shivers. “I just need to rest, Nikki.”

He tried to reassure her with a faint smile but instantly knew that his attempt hadn´t convinced her. Heck, it hasn´t even convinced me…, he thought wearily.

MacGyver strove to keep his eyes locked on her face but with the next hole, an intense sting shot across his chest. His body stiffened abruptly, he drew in a sharp breath and couldn´t suppress a short, painful groan. He felt Nikki tighten her hold on him but it was the last thing he noticed. His strength was spent, darkness and vertigo took over and he passed out only a moment later.

Nikki´s worries spiked when she saw Mac´s eyes close and felt his body go limp. Nevertheless, she suppressed the urge to try and wake him again, knowing very well that as long as he was unconscious he wouldn´t feel the pain. While she observed Mac´s pale, sweat-covered face, she fervently hoped that the hospital, Starkoss was driving to, wasn´t too far away.

Minutes later the minibus reached the paved road, much to Nikki´s relief. She sensed how Starkoss increased their speed, yet soon afterward, before they had even reached the village, he turned onto another dirt road. Nikki was instantly alarmed.

“Starkoss, what are you doing?” she called out to the older man. “Mac needs a doctor as fast as possible.”

“I know.” Starkoss replied calmly.

“Well, I don´t believe that the closest hospital is somewhere in the middle of a forest!” Nikki shot back.

“I´m not taking you to a hospital.” Starkoss answered firm.

“What?” Nikki couldn´t believe what she had heard. “But I trusted you! MacGyver needs help quickly. He went unconscious again!”

“He will get help.” Starkoss assured her. “But taking you to a hospital would be like telling those GRU agents about where to find you both. They´re still after him, remember?”

“Of course.” Nikki argued. “But by now, I´ve got the information he carried. They don´t know about me.”

“So they also don´t know that he doesn´t have it anymore.” Starkoss sighed. “Are you willing to leave him behind again? … Alone in any given hospital? … Because of the information you carry now? … When you know that those agents are close?”

Nikki was rendered speechless for a moment. She looked down on MacGyver´s unconscious form in her arms. He had a point.

“No.” she admitted. “I wouldn´t leave him behind once more.”

Silently she confessed to herself that at the moment she cared more about Mac´s well-being and survival than about taking the documents he had handed her to Pete and thereby completing their mission objective. Even if she had known for sure that someone else would take good care of MacGyver, she felt she had to stay at his side.

“I know a place where to hide you both until he has recovered.” Starkoss´s words drew her concentration back to him. “A good friend of mine is a doctor. He will take care of MacGyver… trust me, he´ll be all right.”

Nikki´s gaze was still fixed on MacGyver. I sure hope, I can trust him, she thought. You´re relying on me… Your life is at stake…

From where she was sitting on the floor of the VW, she couldn´t see much of the landscape Starkoss was driving through. The only thing she noticed in the dark were trees, huge, old, and a lot of them. After several, long minutes she felt the minibus stop. She straightened herself a little as she felt Starkoss get out of the car.

“I´ll be right back.” he told her quickly.

Nikki assessed MacGyver´s condition once more, felt for his pulse on his neck, and was relieved to find it fast, but strong and steady.

A few minutes later Starkoss returned and opened the side door. Nikki got a first good look at their surroundings.

They were on a clearing enclosed by old trees and close to a house that also seemed to be very old. Its walls were sturdy and thick; the windows relatively small. The single-story house seemed to duck onto a slope right at the edge of the forest. Starkoss had obviously been inside and turned on some lights. He noticed Nikki´s probing gaze at the house.

“This is where I live.” he explained. “Long ago it used to be a farmhouse.”

Nikki nodded and returned her focus to MacGyver.

“What now?” she asked.

“I just called my friend. He is already on his way.” the older man told her. “In the meantime, we should take him inside and make him comfortable.”
Daicy

Post by Daicy »

Hello Bluegirl.

A photo of the landscape where the story takes place, detailed descriptions of the situation. Perfect, amazing. You are a master of preparation. I'm glad Nikki found MacGyver and not another troublemaker. I wasn't expecting Starkoss. That was a real surprise.
Last edited by Daicy on Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ergomac23

Post by ergomac23 »

I am so happy to finally be able to sit and read the last three chapters (busy few weeks) WOW what a day mac and Nikki have had I am so shocked though Starkoss? why would he be there? I mean he was happy being to use Nikki's line "an old man in a mountain" interesting twist I do have to say but confusing never the less, also I'm willing to bet starkoss doesn't have a phone so.....how is Nikki going to tell Pete? and who is this doctor?....speaking of that wouldn't gulping water have made him vomit especially since he was dizzy? though in his state who knows :shock: ... ....better yet will mac be OK?.....

so many questions :lol: great story though I can't Waite to read what happens next :D :D