Point Of View - A MacGyver FanFiction

bluegirl

Re: Point Of View - A MacGyver FanFiction

Post by bluegirl »

ergomac23 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:49 pm though Starkoss? why would he be there? I mean he was happy being to use Nikki's line "an old man in a mountain" interesting twist I do have to say but confusing never the less, also I'm willing to bet starkoss doesn't have a phone so.....
Well, Starkoss does have a phone... otherwise how would he have called his friend... the doctor?

And for why would he be there... at the end of GX-1 he kind of 'disappears into the woods' on the West-German side of the border with no intention to 'give himself up' to the US... I am just assuming, that given several months time and the necessity to 'stay under the radar', he might have chosen to come to a neutral country (Austria) with no US presence... and knowing the 'Waldviertel', as it is called, it was a very secluded, sleepy region of Austria at the time of the Cold War. And it was and still is a perfect place for 'special people'... but the Waldviertel IS very hard to explain...
The stuff is already there. I just find a different way to use it.
uniquelyjas

Post by uniquelyjas »

First of all, thanks so much for posting that picture!! It certainly is a lovely area...if you're not sick with a cold, a bum shoulder and a bullet wound!!

Yay!! Starkoss!! Major GX-1 flashbacks!!! Very neat idea to bring him in to help Nikki...and for Nikki to trust him. Seems as though Nikki's feelings for Mac a growing a bit...first she trusts Starkoss and then she realizes she would stay with Mac at a hospital (or wherever) rather than get the documents to safety. Oh my!! Is there something in the wind or is it just the extreme stress she's under and seeing Mac in such bad physical shape?? Hmmmm. Oh well, at least they have "relative" safety...sorry, not sure if I trust Starkoss's home. I trust HIM, but those GRU agents keep turning up!! Oh, and your descriptions of Mac's injuries now have ME wincing!! LOL!! Very nice chapter! I hope Mac has a speedy and uneventful recovery!!
ergomac23

Post by ergomac23 »

bluegirl wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:07 pm
ergomac23 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:49 pm though Starkoss? why would he be there? I mean he was happy being to use Nikki's line "an old man in a mountain" interesting twist I do have to say but confusing never the less, also I'm willing to bet starkoss doesn't have a phone so.....
Well, Starkoss does have a phone... otherwise how would he have called his friend... the doctor?

And for why would he be there... at the end of GX-1 he kind of 'disappears into the woods' on the West-German side of the border with no intention to 'give himself up' to the US... I am just assuming, that given several months time and the necessity to 'stay under the radar', he might have chosen to come to a neutral country (Austria) with no US presence... and knowing the 'Waldviertel', as it is called, it was a very secluded, sleepy region of Austria at the time of the Cold War. And it was and still is a perfect place for 'special people'... but the Waldviertel IS very hard to explain...
ooh that's right he did have a phone sorry about that :oops: ...tired..... it has been a while since I have watched MacGyver great excuse to get the DVDs out :D .... and thank you bluegirl your right starkoss would pick a neutral place to live .again thank you great story :D
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

My turn , bluegirl ;) GX1 has always been one of my favorite episodes . So Starkoss reappearing and helping ( after all they helped him set free ) is no problem for me . He owed them one .
I like your story ... a lot . Readers react differently . Some praise your writing skills ( which are great ! ) and analyse things . But my comments are ( and will always be ) more emotional ... sorry ;) To me Mac and Nikki are real persons (( friends ?) and I simply enjoy following this (very visual I agree with the others) adventure . Thanks for the pic ;)
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

tvero80 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:53 pm I like your story ... a lot . Readers react differently . Some praise your writing skills ( which are great ! ) and analyse things . But my comments are ( and will always be ) more emotional ... sorry ;) To me Mac and Nikki are real persons (( friends ?) and I simply enjoy following this (very visual I agree with the others) adventure .
If my story is already provoking emotions... then I´ve achieved a lot. This IS what I always aim for. To get the readers to see a film in their heads AND to have them feel what our protagonists are going through...

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. :D 8-)
But beware! This was only part 6. There are much more feelings and emotions to come until we´re done with all the 21 chapters.
Wathorighh

Post by Wathorighh »

Wow, what an intense chapter. So glad Nikki found Mac. Starkoss helping her was a nice twist I didn't expect. Mac really seems to be a "wreck" at the moment. I was so with him and the unstopable shivering from fever. It's not just uncomfortable but also exhausting. I just experienced such a uncontrollable tremor after my surgery when my spinal anesthesia slowly went away. Well, I hope he can recover a bit im Starkoss hideaway. Although, for some reasons I expect trouble. I don't know why, it's just a feeling. Hmmm?

And thanks for the picture. I have to say that is almost like I had the area in my mind. Especially because of all your accurate and vivid descriptions so that I could clearly imagine it.
**Andrea**
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

All right... Sunday again! Time to post a new chapter!

Glad, you all loved the picture. And I´m glad you´re intrigued by Starkoss... he´s got a speical role to play in this story... ;)

Part 7

Silence.

Then a dry wave of heat hit him like a desert wind. But somehow that dry heat seemed to come from inside his body. The next thing MacGyver noticed through his woozy mind was a cool, damp cloth touching his forehead, his cheeks, his lips, and his neck. He felt the moisture on his chapped lips, realized how dried out his mouth was, and automatically licked his lips.

Those few, precious drops of water made him try to breathe deeper and to swallow, but that instantly sent him coughing. The coughing fit left his body shaking, and a sharp pain crossed his chest. His sore throat and lungs were throbbing with the strain it caused. He moaned and sensed a cool and slender hand touch his forehead, then cup his cheek in an attempt to steady his head.

“Shh, MacGyver… easy… take it slow…” a familiar female voice addressed him.

It took some effort from him to regain control over his breath and still it felt restricted. Slowly he turned his head a little towards that voice and noticed that he was lying on his back on something soft, probably a bed, and was covered with a warm blanket. His injuries had been cared for and were bandaged.

But the memories in his foggy mind were jumbled and blurred; he couldn´t really remember what had happened and how he´d gotten here. Wherever here was…

A bright lightning bolt accompanied by instant thunder roaring flashed before his still closed eyes and the thunder was followed up by the sharp bang of a gunshot in the darkness. His labored breathing quickened with those pictures and in the next moment, he winced as the damp cloth was suddenly back on his forehead.

“Calm down, Mac.” the voice said softly. “It´s okay… you´re safe.”

MacGyver tried to concentrate on that voice and cling to the feeling of the hands on his face. He leaned a little into the touch on his cheek and blinked his eyes open. It took a couple of moments to get his eyes to focus and even then, he saw Nikki´s face only through a haze. She smiled at him, took the cloth away, yet held the contact to his cheek.

“Hey, MacGyver.” she greeted him. “Good to see your eyes again.”

“Nikki… hey.” Mac answered hoarsely.

A lot of questions whirled through his confused and feverish mind. His eyes left Nikki´s face and darted around the dimly lighted, unfamiliar room. His body stiffened, and he tried to sit up with the realization that he didn´t recognize his surroundings.

“Where…” he started to ask, but was cut off by Nikki.

“Shh. Stay still, Mac.”

Her second hand was quickly back and easily held him down at his shoulder.

“You´re safe here.” she repeated. “This is Starkoss´ house.”

A wave of dizziness washed over Mac, and he realized, he was too weak to sit up and relaxed into Nikki´s hold. His head sank back onto the pillow and his eyes locked on to Nikki again. Staying concentrated on her drained a lot of his energy.

“But what…” he tried to ask but was silenced by Nikki once more.

“Shh. Not now.” she said gently. “You´re still running a high fever. You need to rest.”

MacGyver nodded weakly. In his woozy mind, he couldn´t hold on to a clear thought anyway at the moment.

“Thirsty?” Nikki wanted to know.

MacGyver´s unsteady gaze cleared up a little. That was one thing he was sure about.

“Yeah.” he croaked and nodded again.

Nikki´s hand left his cheek and stroked back his tousled and damp hair.

“I´ll get you something.”

Mac´s eyes followed her as she got up from the chair at his bedside and took a few steps to a table close by. She poured some warm liquid from a pot into a mug and then returned to him. Mac lifted his head off the pillow again and had just started to push himself up, when Nikki´s arm was already there around his shoulders to help and to hold him.

Mac took the mug with his right hand, but Nikki didn´t let go of it completely. Her hand stayed there to steady him and to help him drink. Somehow the smell and the taste of the herbal tea seemed distantly familiar to him as if he had tasted it earlier. The warm liquid soothed his sore throat and made him relax almost instantly.

“That´s bitter.” he complained feebly after he had emptied the mug and laid down again.

“You´ve told me that before.” Nikki answered with a smile and set down the mug on the nightstand.

“Before?” Mac echoed hoarsely and raised his eyebrows questioning.

“It´s been about a whole day since we´ve brought you here.” Nikki explained while her face went serious. “You´ve been in and out of consciousness and at times delirious because of the fever. I figured, that you wouldn´t remember much of it.”

MacGyver was stunned silent with surprise by that answer and tried to search and sort the chaotic and fuzzy pictures in his mind when he suddenly felt himself getting tired. But he instantly knew that it happened way too rapidly to be triggered only by his weakness and exhaustion. Something else was causing that. He was alarmed by the feeling of losing control over his senses. His body tensed, he tried to keep his focus on Nikki and wanted to get up and reach out to her.

“Nikki, what´s happening to me?” he asked, desperately fighting against the darkness creeping up. “What did you give me? What was in that tea?”

Nikki quickly caught his wrists and held him down.

“Calm down, Mac. Don´t fight it!” she ordered firm and then her voice went soft again. “It´ll help you rest… It´ll help you heal… It won´t harm you. It´s just a herbal mix.”

MacGyver still was uncomfortable with the feeling of getting sedated, but he settled down a bit with Nikki´s words and chose to allow it to happen.

“It´s okay… don´t fight it… I´ll be here to watch over you.” He heard Nikki repeat with a now soothing tone in her voice as his eyes slowly closed and the darkness took over his senses.

“It´ll help you heal.”

Then everything went quiet and black again.

Nikki watched MacGyver closely while he drifted off to sleep and cautiously let go of his arms as his body relaxed. Until now he had never been aware enough to notice that it had been some of the herbs in the tea that had sent him sleeping. His alarmed reaction worried her, but somehow she had known that he wouldn´t agree with it; that he wouldn´t like that decision to be taken out of his hands. She sighed, while she observed how his breath got regular and calm once more.

Yet, all in all, it is a good sign, she thought. He is getting more attentive. He is getting a little better.

The cool morning ocean breeze was comfortable on Mac´s warm skin and his face. He had just taken off from the marina, was looking forward to his day of research on the beach, and was really looking forward to a beautiful and cozy evening with Deborah afterward. It was his turn to cook and he planned something special for today.

But in the next moment, a deafening explosion hit his ears, and everything was bathed in bright fire and burning heat. And to make it even worse, this explosion unexpectedly mixed with rain, lightning, and the distinctive click of a switchblade knife. But before he could do anything about that knife, he heard, saw, and felt another blast that threw him fiercely against a tree. Still overwhelmed with the intense pictures that whirled in his mind, he heard a familiar voice cut through them.

“MacGyver! … Wake up!”

Someone held on to his right shoulder.

“MacGyver! ... Come back to me!”

Mac´s body tensed with the sudden touch and the confusing pictures and sounds. He flinched back and abruptly opened his eyes, only to find Nikki´s concerned face. He needed several seconds to reorient himself before he realized that it had been a dream.

A bad dream.

His heart was pounding as he stared at Nikki bewildered. He saw the unfamiliar room, they were in, and a faint memory of being awake here earlier resurfaced in his mind. He still felt the uncomfortable, burning heat inside. Somehow he had ended lying on his left side this time. His bruised shoulder and arm ached a little. With his left hand being next to his face on the pillow, he automatically wanted to rub it over his face to ease up his inner tension, but Nikki hindered him by quickly holding on to his wrist.

“Careful with that hand!” she chided him.

Just then MacGyver felt a twinge in his palm, got a glimpse at the bandage, and remembered how the barbed wire had torn into that palm. The next things he noticed were his still sore throat and bronchial tubes when he tried to take a deep breath. He had to swallow hard to suppress the urge to cough. Nikki gently pushed back some strands of damp hair from his forehead.

“How are you feeling?” she asked with a soft voice now.

MacGyver needed a few seconds to completely return to the present, to assess his condition, and to lock his eyes with Nikki´s.

“A little better, I guess.” he answered hoarsely. “Apart from the nightmare…”

“Well, you´re still feverish.” Nikki told him, smiling down at him with a mixture of sympathy and sorrow. “It´s mostly caused by the serious cold… but also by the exhaustion and the blood loss… Your mind´s probably quite messed up.”

“That bad?” Mac asked worriedly.

“No, not every single issue… but they all add up.” Nikki explained while she felt for his temperature first on his forehead and then with the back of her fingers on his cheek.

MacGyver closed his eyes while he savored the cool touch of her hand and adjusted himself to lie more on his back. A stinging pain in his side made him pull a small grimace and bite back a moan. Nikki´s hand softly cupped his cheek in a comforting gesture.

“The bullet wound? … Does it still hurt?”

Mac opened his eyes again and looked up at her.

“Only when I try to move or breathe deeply.” he replied with a weak and lopsided grin.

“I think, that´s why the doctor asked me to make sure that you´d lie still.” Nikki returned the grin, but Mac was confused.

“What doctor?”

“He´s a friend of Starkoss.” Nikki explained. “A local. He took care of you right after we had brought you here. He sutured your wounds, provided you with appropriate medication, and checked back on you yesterday evening and earlier today.”

MacGyver nodded, but another question popped up in his head.

“Why didn´t you take me to a hospital?”

Nikki´s smile died.

“After I had taken Dubcek to Vienna, I returned to our secondary meeting point… even if I arrived way too early, I had the feeling I had to look for you.” she sighed. “I saw that Zorkin and Baranov had already crossed the border and were searching for you. Fortunately, they didn´t notice me, but taking you to a hospital would have been like highlighting your location to them. Starkoss offered to hide us here.”

MacGyver needed a moment to absorb all the information, yet one detail was missing.

“But, Nikki… what about the film?” he demanded with a suddenly tense and alarmed expression. “You promised to take those documents to Pete.”

“I know.” Nikki said a little defensive. “The film is safe here just as we are.”

She took a small pause and looked down on Mac a little embarrassed.

“Mac, I wasn´t willing to leave you behind once more. I had to make sure you´d be all right… still do.” she admitted while her hand was softly stroking over his damp hair.

MacGyver held her gaze with a bit of surprise. He knew that Nikki cared about his well-being, yet her behavior toward him felt different than it ever had as long as he had known her. But he could be mistaking due to his confused and weakened condition.

“I appreciate that.” he replied with a low voice. “Thanks for caring. Thanks for getting me out of that forest.”

Nikki stayed silent for a long moment and then managed a sheepish smile.

“Do you need anything?” she asked abruptly. “I guess, you gotta be thirsty…”

The memory of being forced to fall asleep by the tea flashed back into MacGyver´s head.

“Yeah.” he nodded with a frown. “But don´t expect me to drink that tea again. I´d like to sleep on my own accord.”

“I figured as much as that.” Nikki´s smile turned apologetic. “I also told that to the doctor. We agreed to change the recipe and left out the herbs with the sedating effects. But it´ll still help your body heal.”

Mac watched her with some doubt as she got up, filled up a mug, and returned to sit at his bedside. Her supporting arm around his shoulders was there as soon as he started to push himself up. MacGyver smelled a little hesitant at the steaming liquid as she offered it to him.

“Mac, you know I wouldn´t harm you.” Nikki chided with a soft, but slightly disappointed voice. “Now drink!”

Mac sighed a bit theatrically, but obeyed.

“Still bitter.”

His feeble complaint only earned him an annoyed snort from Nikki.

“Thanks.” he added.

Again, he instantly felt the soothing effect in his throat, and soon after he´d emptied the mug and laid down he felt all the pain in his body diminish. He allowed his eyes to close with a sigh, relaxed into the pleasant feeling, and took several deep breaths. He had to cough because of that and sensed his exhaustion catch up with him at once.

Moments later Nikki´s hands were back together with the cool, damp cloth. Gently she took the sweat off Mac´s face and neck, rinsed the cloth with fresh, cool water, and laid it on his forehead. MacGyver calmed down even further with her comforting touch. He half-opened his eyes to look up at her, grateful for her care. Nikki noticed his tired eyes and how worn out he was when she took the cloth away.

“You look like you´d better get some rest.” she suggested with a protective tone.

“I guess, you´re right…” Mac agreed feebly. His voice trailed off. He had barely enough energy left to keep his eyes open and to keep his focus on Nikki.

“Get some sleep.” Nikki continued, smiling down at him. “You don´t need to fight to stay awake. We´re safe here. I won´t leave you alone.”

Mac only nodded. He gave in to his tiredness while his eyelids grew heavy and closed. The last things he noticed before everything went dark and silent were one of Nikki´s hands stroking over his hair and cheek and her lips placing a very soft and very gentle kiss on his forehead.

By the next time, MacGyver woke up, he instantly and instinctively knew that his fever had broken. The dry heat was gone. The fog that had clouded his mind and senses for so long was gone. It had made room for a feeling of clarity and freshness. But the longer he enjoyed that clarity, it also made him realize how clearly he now felt every bruise, every injury, and how worn out he was after the whole ordeal. Every muscle, every joint seemed to ache due to the high fever he had been through.

He felt weak, almost unable to move when he adjusted his body to a more comfortable position on the bed and moaned a little with the pain it caused. With his eyes still closed, Mac tried to take a deep breath and noticed relieved that he could without having to cough instantly. His throat and lungs were still sore, yet the congestion seemed mostly gone. The next thing he got aware of in his weariness was that he was parched. When he automatically licked his lips, he sensed how dried out and chapped their skin was.

Just then he realized that everything around him was perfectly silent, and that no one had reacted to his movements up until now.

“Nikki?” he croaked low and hoarsely while he blinked his eyes open.

The name came out barely understandable. Mac swallowed hard and cleared his throat.

“Nikki?” he tried again a little louder.

There… that was better… but where is she? he thought when he got no response.

His eyes wandered around the room. For the first time, he was able to get a good impression of his surroundings. He saw a dark wooden ceiling, built out of sturdy beams and relatively low. The windows were smaller than MacGyver was used to it and also gave him an idea of really thick walls. Mac couldn´t see it due to the plaster, but the walls seemed to be made of stone. The house felt old, real old.

Apart from the bed, he was lying in and the nightstand and wooden chair next to it, there wasn´t much furniture in the dimly lit room. He saw a table with another chair next to the side wall, with his travel bag sitting on it, and a small couch with cushions and a crumpled blanket opposite to the table along the other side wall.

Nikki had probably been resting on that one…

The sturdy, wooden door was closed and located in the far wall. No light filtered in through the windows, so it had to be late evening or night. MacGyver hadn´t seen any clock on the wall, and he just now noticed that the watch on his left wrist was gone; perhaps to make enough room for the bandage that was protecting his hand.

Slowly, carefully Mac pushed himself up on his elbows and looked around for a second time. Yes, he was alone. Nobody was in sight and the door was firmly closed.

Although he had risen slowly, MacGyver felt the dizziness return and an uncomfortable sting in his right side. Now that his mind and senses weren´t hazy anymore, he felt the stitches pull on his skin. The twinge reminded him of his thirst. Mac´s head turned. His eyes searched the nightstand next to his bed and the table. But there was nothing. No water, no teapot, no mug, no glass… nothing.

MacGyver sighed deeply and ran his right hand through his hair and over his face.

Great. Waking up thirsty in an unfamiliar house, as it seems in the middle of the night, with no one in sight or hearing range. Totally worn out after two or three days of high fever, judging by the length of the stubble on my face. Just great…

After a moment of consideration, MacGyver took a deep breath and gingerly rose until he was sitting upright. The dizziness worsened momentarily; Mac had to stabilize himself with his arms. The blanket that had covered him slipped downwards, and he noticed that he was wearing a more or less fresh t-shirt and sweatpants. Obviously, Nikki had used the contents of his duffle bag to keep him comfortable. After the vertigo had lessened to a bearable level, Mac pushed the blanket aside and slowly swung his long legs out of the bed. Again, he had to hold on to the bed for a couple of moments and closed his eyes briefly.

When he opened them, Mac noticed his sneakers standing below the table. Really cautious he rose to his feet and took the few steps to the table. He puffed out a relieved breath when he had reached it and sat down on the chair next to it. He retrieved fresh socks from his bag and then bent down to slip on the socks and his shoes. After he was done, Mac straightened himself on the chair and concentrated on the door. The few steps he had taken so far, had shown him how weakened he still was.

I just hope, this house isn´t very big and I won´t have to look for Nikki all too long, he thought as he pushed himself up from the chair and made his way to the door. Don´t know, how much strength I´ve got left.

When he had opened the door, MacGyver faced a corridor. It also had thick walls, a dark wooden ceiling, three doors on one side, three windows on the other one, and one half-open door at its end. And very little light. The room at the other end of the corridor seemed to be lit brightly, judging by the amount of light Mac could see filtering through the crack of the half-open door. And he could hear muffled voices.

So this was where he would be heading first.

His stiff and aching joints were loosening up a little the further he moved, but the dizziness all of a sudden spiked when he had only passed the second side door. MacGyver had to quickly hold on to the wall to stabilize himself. He lowered his head, pressed his eyes shut, and tried to breathe deep. But it was no use. Within seconds, without being able to do anything about it, he felt his legs weaken and his knees give way. Mac dropped to the ground. His head and back hit the wooden floor hard.

Fighting back the darkness that threatened to take over his senses, he desperately tried to regain control over his body. Through the ringing in his head, he noticed that the voices, he had heard before, went silent after he had fallen. The next things he became aware of were hurried steps, someone shouting his name, and then running towards him. With his eyes still closed, MacGyver winced as he felt slender hands grab onto his shoulders.

“MacGyver!” He heard Nikki call out to him.

Moaning, Mac turned his head towards her voice and forced his eyes to open. He needed a few moments to focus on her worried face. One of her hands left his shoulder and went to his forehead, feeling for his temperature. Her face relaxed a little when she didn´t sense fever anymore.

“What on earth are you doing out of bed?” she asked sharply after Mac´s gaze on her had somewhat steadied.

MacGyver took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

“Was looking for you…” he answered hoarsely and with a weak apologetic smile forming on his face. He pulled a grimace as another wave of dizziness washed over him and felt Nikki´s hand brush back his hair.

“Well, after two days in bed with a high fever and a few injuries, how far did you think you´d get?” Nikki scolded him, but when Mac managed to focus his eyes on her again, he saw a concerned smile.

“Didn´t really know…” he admitted with the same feeble smile as before. “Didn´t get far enough, I guess.”

Slowly the ringing in his head and the vertigo subsided. Nikki sighed deeply, while she observed him closely. Suddenly both of them heard steps hurrying closer. Within seconds, Starkoss came into view at Nikki´s side.

“Is he all right?” he wanted to know quickly.

“I think so.” Nikki said with a glance over her shoulder. “It´s just his usual… he wasn´t respecting his limits.”

MacGyver rolled his eyes at her remark, but kept quiet.

“Lying on the ground won´t do you any good.” Starkoss turned to MacGyver. “Can you get up again?”

“Yeah.” Mac nodded. “I should, with a little help.”

Nikki came over to his right side and held on to his arm while Starkoss was doing the same on his left. Carefully they assisted him in first sitting up and then getting to his feet. MacGyver swayed a little and had to lean on to his friends.

“I´ll get him back to his bed.” Mac heard Starkoss address Nikki, while he was still concentrating on steadying himself. “Can you bring the tea?”

“Of course.” Nikki replied and loosened her grip on Mac with a probing look at him.

MacGyver tried to ignore the twinge in his bruised left shoulder when Starkoss tightened his hold on him and took a deep breath to push back the renewed dizziness. He willingly followed Starkoss´s support, as the older man turned him around and escorted him back to his bed. The Russian helped MacGyver lie down again, covered him with the blanket, and then sat down at his bedside.

Mac had rolled onto his back with his eyes closed and tried to breathe slow and deep, when he felt one of Starkoss´s hands on his forehead and the other one on the middle of his chest. Within seconds, the pain and the dizziness lessened, and the tension left his muscles and joints. The pleasant and comforting sensation intensified and spread through his body in the matter of a couple of moments.

Mac couldn´t help but sigh deeply with the feeling and then remembered, that he´d experienced something similar before. In the small bus. Intrigued he opened his eyes and found Starkoss looking down at him with a concentrated, but kind smile.

“What…?” Mac asked puzzled and barely audible. “How…?”

Starkoss´s smile widened while he slowly pulled back the hand from MacGyver´s forehead and straightened himself. After a few seconds, he also lifted the hand from Mac´s chest and rested it on his arm.

“It is hard to explain.” he answered Mac´s surprised question. “Let me just say that since I live here in Austria, I learned about other ways to put my gift, as you called it, to use.”

It wasn´t much of an explanation to MacGyver, but he nodded. With Starkoss, he knew, he wouldn´t easily get one that his scientific and skeptic mind could work with.

“I appreciate it.” he told the older man.

Starkoss gently squeezed his arm and got up when he heard Nikki enter the room.

“You´ll be all right.” he assured MacGyver, still smiling, and then turned and left them alone.

Nikki filled up a mug and set the teapot down on the table.

“I suppose, you´re thirsty?” she asked as she approached the bed.

Mac needed a moment to focus on her after the thorough relaxation he had felt thanks to Starkoss´s doing.

“Yeah.” he nodded, as he remembered why he had felt the urge to get up in the first place, and gingerly pushed himself up to his elbows.

The ache was still there when he moved, but after whatever Starkoss had done it was more like a distant echo, MacGyver noticed with relief. Nikki steadied him with her arm around his shoulders while he drank and then gently helped him lie down again. The sharp edge, Mac had noticed on her in the corridor, was gone now.

“Sorry, if I scared you back there.” Mac apologized with a sheepish smile. “I really thought, I would…”

“Save it, Mac.” Nikki cut him off. “It´s okay… I know that you don´t have a lot of memories of what you´ve been through during the last two days… I should have foreseen that you might come looking for us… After all, you´re still weak. Even if your fever broke, you need to take it slow. You need to rest.”

She pulled the blanket up to Mac´s shoulders, and MacGyver felt the warmth of the bed and the warmth of the tea in his stomach mingle and spread through his body. Together with the relief, Starkoss had somehow caused, and with his exhaustion, he felt himself getting tired.

“I´m working on it.” he sighed with a feeble grin and allowed his eyes to close.

Nikki watched him closely while MacGyver drifted off to sleep, saw how his pale face slowly relaxed, and how his breath got calm and regular. Gently she stroked back some strands of his unruly hair from his forehead and also sighed.

Seems, as if he´s passed the worst of it, she thought. But how on earth am I going to make sure that he doesn´t rush his recovery from now on?
Wathorighh

Post by Wathorighh »

Thanks for the new chapter. I actually held my breath when Mac's awoke and nobody seemed to be there. What a relief when he finally heard familiar voices.

Loved the ending of this chapter. Nikki knows Mac too well. :lol:

Can't wait for the next part. :)
**Andrea**
ergomac23

Post by ergomac23 »

:) :D great chapter bluegirl so sweet how nikki takes care of him :D also good to know mac is feeling better can't Waite for the next chapter
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

So glad, you both like it. :D

But beware, there´s a lot more to come... for starters, a little surprising twist during the next chapter ;) ;)