Point of no Return - A MacGyver FanFiction

bluegirl

Re: Point of no Return - A MacGyver FanFiction

Post by bluegirl »

Monika wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:50 pm
bluegirl wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:10 pm
Monika wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:48 pm Great story.
I see the actors , actions and locations right in front of me.
If I´ve accomplished that, I´ve reached one of my most important goals, thanks a lot! :D :D :D

Just asking, have you also read Breaking Point?
Dear bluegirl,
I hadn´t read "Breaking Point" before. :roll: :roll:
But when I started it yesterday (May 15th) couldn´t stop.
For me it was like diving into an unpublished Episode of MacGyver. With all emotions: Tears, hatred and anger. (Sorry)
But also joy about the deep friendship between Ma, Pete and Willis.
Thanks for that.
:lol: :oops: I think each of us here inthe forum would have been there for MacGyver day and night. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Please go ahaed and let your imagination run wild.

From Monika with love
Thank you so much, your thoughts to Breaking Point really touched me... :D :o :D That´s why I took the leap of faith to publish again - it is so rewarding to read how you enjoy the stories... And yes, Breaking Point was meant to make the readers feel all the emotions - the sequel will dive into them again... at a different level...
The stuff is already there. I just find a different way to use it.
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Part 3

MacGyver had set up an appointment with Luke Chung right after arriving at the Phoenix Foundation´s headquarters on the next morning. Now, as he headed for Willis´ lab, he thought about Luke. He had scarcely seen the young man in the last three years. The Phoenix Foundation had supported him in managing his shipping business since their encounter with the Hong Kong cartel, and Mac was curious to see how the boy from the monastery had grown up to be the CEO of a large company.

Willis was concentrating fully on his computer monitor when Mac entered the lab.

“Morning, Willis!” Mac greeted him after knocking briefly on the open door.

“Morning.” Willis didn´t even look up. He read on and then, after a few moments, turned to MacGyver with a serious and tired expression. Mac closed in and seated himself on the edge of the desk next to Willis.

“What´s the matter?” he asked. “You look like you haven´t slept all night.”

“You´re almost right.” Willis sighed. “But with all the information coming in…”

“What information?” Mac was instantly interested.

“You told me to turn loose on that Hong Kong cartel.” Willis answered. “It did bring up a few new names. It brought up the business they are suspected to be in. Everything from protection money extortion and slave-trade to drugs and weapons dealing. They´ve been expanding over the last two years. They built up their own shipping company since you´ve hindered them in taking over Jade Dragon. They are a ruling factor in the Chinese community and the criminal business of whole California.”

“That´s about what I heard from a friend of mine in Chinatown.” Mac drew in a sharp breath. “But you said ‘suspected’?”

“They are very cautious and very good at covering their operations.” Willis nodded. “From the records all their business is perfectly legal. No traces whatsoever to be found. Neither business nor financial reports show anything unusual or fishy. Police, FBI, DEA, DXS – they all have real trouble getting a handle on them. I´ve been at it since yesterday with very little sleep and have nothing conclusive.”

Mac could clearly hear the frustration in Willis´ voice.

“The DXS has tried to get an operative undercover inside the cartel.” Wills continued.

Mac´s face lightened up with interest.

“That´s good. What...” He broke off as Willis shook his head.

“Not really. They lost all contact to him after a few weeks and he was found dead shortly afterwards. It looked to be a car accident.”

MacGyver froze for a brief moment, then raised a questioning eyebrow.

“It looked to be?” he echoed Willis´ words.

“Again, no conclusive evidence to be found.” Willis nodded.

An uncomfortable silence hung in the room for seconds until Mac spoke up.

“Sam told me they are expanding their drug business. Any leads on that?”

Willis shook his head.

“Nothing. The police and the DEA have searched the warehouse and business building of their shipping company but have found nothing. Several times.”

“So they either have a mole inside the police or the DEA feeding them with information or they have some other place to store their ‘goods’.” Mac replied.

“From the reports I´ve seen, I´d go for the latter.” Willis stated. “But I didn´t find any property suitable for it. Only some high-class houses in some very expensive neighborhoods.”

MacGyver sighed. Terrific. Nothing. No loose end. Nowhere to start off and hunt them down. Suddenly he held his breath and looked into the distance. What about playing it the opposite way? Willis noticed his sudden change of concentration.

“Mac?” he asked. “You´ve got an idea, right?”

Mac focused on Willis again.

“I´m working on it.” he responded. “What projects of the research department have anything to do with drugs, weapons or explosives? Or do we have any joint or supporting projects with the police or the DEA at the moment?”

“A few.” Willis turned to the computer and started searching. “What are you up to?”

“They still haven´t got what they were after when they took me captive and then tried to take you.” Mac explained while he was getting up and turning to the screen so he would be able to read together with Willis. “Taking their effort into account, it must be really important to their operations. If we can figure out what they want… maybe we can turn the game around.”

Willis stopped typing on the spot and looked up at MacGyver. He saw a determined grin on Mac´s face.

“What do you mean?”

“If I know what they are after, I can use it as bait.” Mac told him. “And let them come to me.”

Willis face fell.

“You can´t be serious… what if they capture you again… you almost died last time… have you forgotten what they did to you?!” Willis exclaimed, his voice getting louder to the end of the sentence.

Mac´s smile faded, but his face stayed grimly resolved.

“No, Willis, I haven´t.” he said slowly. “But now I´ve got a chance to get them to my playground, with my rules. This should even up things. And maybe put me a step ahead of them.”

Willis was perplexed and speechless.

“So, what have we got?” Mac pressed on after a moment.

Willis concentrated back on the computer; his hands were resuming their work on the keyboard. A list came up on the monitor.

“Most of it is lab cooperation.” Willis explained. “Establishing new forensic methods, working together on forensics in general. There´s your projects together with Lt. Murphy… this is a new bulletproof vest we are working on – but it is only a prototype… and the bloodhound.”

Mac looked at him puzzled. “The bloodhound?”

“It is ready for field testing.” Willis confirmed. “Do you remember the device you used for gathering evidence in that waste processing and recycling company a few years ago? Taking down those spoilers? Together with this, what was his name…? Earthquake?”

Mac nodded.

“As you had tested it successfully, we went on developing and improving it further.” Willis continued, pure scientist again. “This different model is able to detect drugs and explosives. The handling has been thoroughly simplified to meet police needs. We´ve also been able to increase its sensitivity. We were to hand it over to the DEA and the police soon, so they could test its usefulness in real life.”

MacGyver studied the specifics on the screen silently for a minute.

“That´s gotta be it.” he said then in a low voice. “They would be able to set up better hiding spots and better concealment methods before distributing the drugs, if they had the same technology. It´ll make it even more difficult for the police and the DEA to catch them.” He straightened himself. “But how did they get to know about it?”

Willis shrugged apologetically.

“The DEA let get word out on the streets of such a scanner coming up on purpose.” he told Mac. “They wanted to scare off big dealers and smaller pushers. Pete wasn´t too happy about it although the Foundation was never mentioned as the developer. Nevertheless we internally decided to keep the specifics and the construction plans of the device top secret.”

MacGyver puffed out a breath and sat down on the desk again. He let the information sink in silently for some minutes. Then he looked down at Wills.

“But knowing about the Phoenix Foundation and their capabilities, someone in that cartel must have found the connection.” he concluded. “They didn´t get in easily via the computers, so they tried to use me…”

MacGyver arrived early in the harbor district. He parked his Jeep close to the Jade Dragon office building but used his spare time to look around the area. The addresses of the warehouse and the office building the syndicate was tied to were close by. It was only a short walk of two blocks. Mac stopped at the opposite corner and scanned the buildings with his eyes from across the street.

At first sight nothing aroused suspicion. However when Mac took a more detailed look, he noticed the high-end security doors, the surveillance cameras and the amount of security personnel. Impressed he puffed out a breath.

Wow. No way of getting inside unseen and looking around in broad daylight.

MacGyver stayed at the corner and watched the guards for some time, trying to get a feel for their mode of operation. But even after almost one hour he hadn´t been able to spot any opportunity that would have allowed him to get inside of any of the buildings. With his thoughts running on overdrive, determined to go over every detail of the blueprints in the evening, he returned to his Jeep and then entered the Jade Dragon office building. Mac had to undergo a thorough security check before he was allowed to meet Luke Chung.

The young man greeted MacGyver with a beaming smile from behind his office desk as Mac went into the room.

“It´s been a while, MacGyver! Good to see you!”

He got up instantly and walked around his huge desk to shake hands and hug Mac briefly. MacGyver eyed him all over after the warm welcome.

“Wow!” he replied with a little surprise. “I can see it´s been a while. You´ve grown up.”

Luke took a step back and motioned for Mac to take a seat while he returned to his high backed chair behind the desk.

“I guess it was bound to happen.” he teased, while he sat down and then his face turned serious. “You didn´t tell me the reason for your visit on the phone. So I think it must be something important. What´s wrong, Mac? What can I do for you?”

MacGyver took a deep breath.

“I´ve had a close and unpleasant encounter with a Chinese crime syndicate.” he explained. “They tried to steal a project out of Phoenix research. Unfortunately this syndicate seems to be tied to the Hong Kong cartel we´ve been up against three years ago. As far as I´ve heard, you´ve become a central and trusted part of the Chinese community around Los Angeles. I thought you might have heard about what is going on under the surface…”

Luke´s expression grew dark.

“So it is true…” he stated. “It has really happened… and it was you.”

Mac cocked his head bewildered and surprised.

“What… how?” he asked with a low voice. “That was classified. How do you know about it?”

Luke sat back in his chair and calmly held MacGyver´s gaze.

“As you have said, I have become a vital part of the Chinese community.” he replied. “A lot of people do trust me. I get to hear about a lot of things.”

MacGyver´s deep brown eyes were still unbelieving.

“About four months ago I was told about activities connected to the Phoenix Foundation.” Luke continued. “Two months ago I was informed that they had kidnapped one of your operatives, but also that he had been freed and able to arrest the man who had done this. There were rumors about what had happened through his captivity, but nothing in particular… I had never suspected that it was you…”

Luke´s face was filled with honest compassion. MacGyver leaned back and was speechless for a few moments.

“I don´t really know what you´ve been forced to go through, MacGyver.” Luke said after a small break. “But from what I can see, it must have been terrible.”

Mac sighed deeply. None of the physical scars was visible thanks to his clothing. Luke´s awareness, openness and direct way of dealing with feelings he saw in other persons had obviously not faded over the last three years.

“It was.” Mac admitted a little hesitant. “But if you had heard about something going on, why didn´t you tell Phoenix?”

“I did.” Luke answered. “I ran it across my Phoenix advisors and they assured me, they´d pass on the information.”

Mac remained silent. Intelligence out of Chinatown had reached him and Pete after the initial attack on the computers, but they had never been notified it had come from Luke. Obviously that part of the information had gotten lost on its transit through the Phoenix red tape apparatus, Mac noted mentally.

“So how can I be of help?” Luke asked after some moments.

Mac straightened himself and leaned forward, his arms resting on his knees.

“What have you heard lately?” he wanted to know. “What is the cartel up to right now?”

“They are expanding their drug and weapons business. There is word about a big deal to happen in the next days. But they do have difficulties in hiding the distribution of their ‘goods’. They are trying out different ways of more efficient concealment.” Luke replied. “They are into everything from heroin to designer drugs. The weapons they sell are all high-end and high-tech. They are also in the market for new high-end explosives. There´s got to be a lab somewhere for developing all the stuff and trying it out. But they don´t hide it here in the harbor. The warehouse and the office building two blocks away handle only perfectly legal shipments. I don´t know where the cartel keeps their illegal goods.”

MacGyver took a minute to process the information. It all fit into place. Almost.

“But the security is extremely tight on the warehouse and the offices.” He objected. “Are you sure there´s nothing illicit going on in there?”

“Quite.” Luke nodded. “I would have been notified. You have already taken a look?”

“I tried.” Mac shrugged. “But there was no way of even getting close… Do you have more information on that big deal about to happen?”

“Only that it is huge in its amount of drugs.” Luke said apologetically. “And that it is to happen until the end of the week. They are planning on flooding California with their drugs.”

MacGyver sat back and drew in a sharp breath.

“Sounds like this could start off a little war with other major drug dealers… I guess I know what they were after at Phoenix research. You´ve just confirmed my suspicions. Now I need to prove them… Anything else I should know?”

Luke shook his head. “That is all I can tell you.”

“Thanks, Luke.” MacGyver got out of his chair and reached out to shake Luke´s hand. The young man also stood up and took Mac´s offered hand, but held on to it.

“I´m glad, that I was able to help you, Mac.” He responded while looking directly into MacGyver´s dark eyes. “But please, be careful… They came very close to breaking you once. Don´t allow them to succeed on a second attempt.”

Mac was again stunned for a moment but regained his composure fast. How was that young man able to see behind his façade? He nodded.

“I am, Luke.” he reassured. “This time they won´t surprise me.”

Upon returning to the Phoenix Foundation´s headquarters MacGyver went directly up to Pete´s office. He knocked on the half open door only to see that Willis was seated opposite to Pete. Pete looked up from his conversation with Willis; however his face stayed serious when he greeted Mac.

“Come on in, MacGyver. It´s good you´re also here.” His voice had an unusual edge to it.

Mac flopped himself into the chair next to Willis. He recognized the reports on Pete´s desk from his visits to Willis´ lab. He sensed instantly that something was off.

“What´s the matter, Pete?” he asked innocently.

“Exactly when were you planning to tell me what you are up to?” Pete replied sharply.

Mac was caught off guard by Pete´s harsh reaction.

“That´s why I´m here.” he tried to defend himself. “I wanted to collect all the facts, before…”

Pete´s intense glare cut him off. He was clearly upset. Willis stayed as still as he possibly could. He didn´t want to be caught in the crossfire of the possible upcoming argument between the two men.

“Mac, it´s been two and a half days since you´ve been here.” Pete stated. “I told you, I couldn´t let you go out on your own before getting both of your doctors okay. We agreed on that, right?”

MacGyver felt like a misbehaving kid getting scolded. He nodded.

“I did see Dr. Thompson and Dr. Beattie.” he objected as calm as he managed. “You should have their reports.”

“I do.” Pete snorted. “But our agreement didn´t include you investigating on your own.”

“I told you, I was going to talk to Wills.” Mac countered. Again anger and frustration were boiling up within him. It sent his heart pounding. Mac was fighting hard to stay calm outside. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Fortunately Willis is reporting regularly on his activities and findings.” Pete continued. He looked at all the folders and then at Willis. “Thank you, Willis. Now, would you please excuse us?”

Willis nodded silently to Pete and shot Mac an apologetic look as he got up and left.

“I need you to keep me posted!” Pete carried on sharply, just after Willis had closed the door.

“Since when do I have to get your permission for every step I take?” Mac responded in a hardly controlled tone. “You told me, you´re relieved about me getting back to work. Now where´s the problem? Anything wrong my medical reports?” His hands closed into tight fists.

Pete sighed and leaned back.

“No.” he admitted after a moment of silence. “Dr. Thompson is impressed with your progress. I guess, he has told you to still take it easy for some time. He has declared you fit for field duty.”

MacGyver nodded relieved.

“Dr. Beattie also thinks you´re on the right track.” Pete continued. “But she´s also concerned. According to her getting back to work should help you… If you don´t push yourself too far.”

Mac nodded again. The tension in the large room had faded a bit.

“You are worried that I will?”

“I know you will push yourself to the limits!” Pete replied a little too loud. “Yes, I am worried… And don´t you tell me that I don´t need to be!”

“But you don´t need to keep track of me behind my back.” Mac suddenly said cold and flat.

“Mac, the prison´s warden called me.” Pete opposed. “After all it is a high security prison and he wanted to check your authorization. I could have stopped you, but I didn´t.”

He could see the hurt look in MacGyver´s dark eyes. An uneasy silence hung between them for seconds before Pete spoke up again.

“MacGyver, I am only trying to protect you as far as I can. Nothing else. I´m sorry.”

Mac sighed deeply and nervously ran his fingers through his hair.

“I know.” he accepted Pete´s explanation and apology. “I just felt like you were doubting me. Sorry, Pete.”

Both men shared a rueful look. After a few moments Pete straightened himself in his chair.

“So, Willis has told me you have established a connection between the syndicate and the Hong Kong cartel we had to deal with three years ago?” he got back to business. “What else have you got?”

MacGyver was relieved by the sudden change of subject. His anger faded.

“I think I know what they are after.” he said as he took a deep breath. “I think I know what they are up to… and I think I know how we might get them.”

“You do?” Pete was instantly interested.

“I´ve been to an old friend of mine in Chinatown and I paid Luke Chung a visit.” Mac explained. “They both confirm that the cartel is trying to get bigger in dealing high-tech weapons and especially drugs. Luke told me, there´ll be a huge shipment arriving until the end of the week.”

“That doesn´t give us much time.” Pete cut in. “Tomorrow´s already Thursday.”

“Doesn´t give them much time either.” Mac replied. “Luke also said they´ve got trouble concealing their shipments and distribution. This confirms to me what they must be after. Our only project, that fits, is the electronical bloodhound. They need it to test their disguising methods, and they need it soon.”

Pete nodded slowly.

“Do you know where the shipment is going to arrive? We could pass that on to the DEA and the DXS and…”

Mac shook his head.

“No, and that´s why I think we have to turn the game around to get a handle on them…”

Pete leaned back in his chair and looked silent and probing at his friend for a moment.

“Why do I know, I´m not going to like what you are going to suggest next?” he asked.

“I want to use the device, its construction plans and its specifications as bait.” MacGyver explained exited, leaning forward. “They need it. If they get to know that all of it got out of the secured lab and is in my hands, they will try to get it.”

Pete stared at him perplexed. He was speechless for seconds.

“No.” he then managed to say hoarsely. “MacGyver, you can´t do that! You´d be turning yourself into a target!”

Mac got out of his chair and paced Pete´s office.

“Wouldn´t be the first time.” he muttered frustrated. “Have you got a better idea?”

Pete still looked at him shocked.

“Pete, we don´t know, if we´ll get an opportunity like this again anytime soon.” Mac urged on. He had turned back to face Pete across his desk. “If we want to take them down, we need to do it now.”

Pete was still stunned. The mere thought of putting his friend into danger of this kind scared the hell out of him. All the all too recent pictures of Mac lying injured and vulnerable in his hospital bed, of the condition he had been in after three weeks of torture came back to his mind as he watched his friend pacing the room.

But he had no better idea. Mac was right. Once again, he had to admit.

“Who else knows about this idea?” Pete asked slowly.

Mac stopped right in front of his desk.

“Only Willis.” he said. “We talked about it when we came across the connection between the cartel and the syndicate.”

“All right.” Pete gave in and nodded with a deep sigh. “But I do have to get the DEA´s okay first. And we need to work out a security plan for this. There´s too much innocent people around your houseboat that could get hurt in a potential crossfire.”

MacGyver shook his head.

“They would notice anything out of the ordinary.” he objected. “I will work out a plan for this, if you will just let me go ahead and do my job…”

Pete looked up at him worried. He could clearly see the determination in Mac´s brown eyes. After a few moments he nodded.

“I will.” he promised. “Now get out of here and get your plan done. I´ve got some phone calls to make… I´ll see you tomorrow morning.”

Mac straightened himself. “I´ll be ready.”

bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Am hanging onto every word......when did you say the next chapters come out? Can just feel the danger rising for Mac......gotta have more!
B
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

You just got a new chapter... it might take three or four days ´til the next one goes online... and beware, part 4 will have 'a bit' of a cliffhanger... :o
Monika

Post by Monika »

Dear bluegirl,
Another great story. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
I thinkI see another side of MacGyver. :?: He´s got angry (just a throught from me).
I hope he keeps his smart and charming charisma that we all love so much.

Look forward to more.

From Monika with love
"As long as I always think of you and wish me somethings which I think is unattainable, there is no reason to be hurt by others."
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Monika wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 pm Dear bluegirl,
I thinkI see another side of MacGyver. :?: He´s got angry (just a throught from me).

Look forward to more.

From Monika with love
We´ve seen him get angry in the series - just think of the end of 'The Challenge' or 'Lesson in Evil' - I´m just diving a little deeper into this side of him.
And, as you now have read Breaking Point - don´t you think he´s still affected by the trauma he´s been through - after being pushed to his limits?
Monika

Post by Monika »

bluegirl wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:08 pm
Monika wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 pm Dear bluegirl,

Look forward to more.

From Monika with love
We´ve seen him get angry in the series - just think of the end of 'The Challenge' or 'Lesson in Evil' - I´m just diving a little deeper into this side of him.
And, as you now have read Breaking Point - don´t you think he´s still affected by the trauma he´s been through - after being pushed to his limits?
Hello bluegirl,
Of course he is still traumatized. That is a very natural reaction.
And I love its different facets in your story.
Please continue

From Monika with love
"As long as I always think of you and wish me somethings which I think is unattainable, there is no reason to be hurt by others."
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

So, as the first three parts have set the scene quietly (more or less), I guess it´s about time to raise the excitement and tension level a bit and provide you with a little cliffhanger...

Part 4

It had been another very long evening for MacGyver, again considering the facts he knew, and trying to make up ways to turn his houseboat into a trap for potential Chinese thugs, yet leaving himself a secure way out. All of this thinking had brought his memories of his time in the camp back to the surface. He had spent some time outside on the deck at the back end of his houseboat, looking over the nightly quiet marina, just as he had looked over the lake behind Pete´s cabin. This time it had helped calm his mind.

At some point he had gotten real tired, but his sleep hadn´t been as restful as he had hoped. The nightmares had been back. MacGyver had tried to sleep late, however a phone call from Pete had woken him way too early. Pete had told him that the DEA had finally, reluctantly consented to their plan and offered their support. Mac and Pete had agreed that Pete would come over to the houseboat, where they could discuss the details of their plan.

MacGyver was in the kitchen in the middle of preparing his breakfast as Pete knocked on the door. Mac looked up, smiled to the glass door and waved Pete in.

“Come on in, Pete!” he called. “The door´s open.”

Mac had just finished mixing his usual protein drink when Pete turned around to him after closing the door. He shot the blender and its content a distrustful look before greeting his friend.

“Good morning! ... I still can´t believe you really like that stuff.”

MacGyver only smiled while he poured some of it into a glass and took a mouthful of it. Again his inside had become torn within the blink of an eye as Pete had entered the houseboat. On one hand it felt comfortingly normal and common having his best friend here with the prospect of working together on their plan. On the other hand Mac still felt his skin crawl and still felt the urge to keep him at a physical distance. No matter how hard he tried, that anxious response, imprinted on his mind during the torture, was there. It was still a handicap to the natural openness and friendship they had shared for so long. He felt guilty for it and decided to keep it to himself.

Pete set down his briefcase on Mac´s dining table, opened it and started spreading out files on the table. Mac stayed behind the kitchen island and watched him.

“What did it take to get the DEA´s support?” Mac wanted to know.

“Serious and intense presentation of the facts.” Pete replied. “It took me some time to get them to realize that this is a one and only opportunity.”

He broke off and froze, all of a sudden stopping to arrange the folders but still staring at them. MacGyver instantly focused on him, sensing the change of Pete´s mood.

“Pete? … What´s the matter?” Mac asked after a few seconds of silence.

Pete took a deep breath before looking up at him. Mac saw a rueful expression on Pete´s face.

“Listen, Mac, I´m sorry I jumped at you like I did yesterday.” Pete said with a low voice. “I know you´ve been through a lot and I know it is still hard on you. I can see that. I can feel that. I know you´ve got a lot of haunting memories that have my face and voice in them. I can hardly imagine how difficult it must be for you to have me around. I noticed you pull back and keep your distance when I get too close.” He sighed deeply. “I´d never blame you for it. I know you don´t act like this by your own choice. Everything I do is meant to help and support you. I promised, I´ll be there for you. I keep to that promise.”

MacGyver´s brown eyes suddenly darkened with pain.

“It felt as if you didn´t trust me anymore…” he responded controlled but husky.

“No!” Shock mixed into Pete´s sorrow. “You have to know that this is impossible… I nearly lost you. It scared me. Still does… If I kept too close watch over you, then because I am worried about you.”

Mac stared at his glass silent.

“I know.” he answered after a short while. “I am grateful for it… I can hardly imagine how it must feel to you. You know, I´d never hurt you on purpose, but I certainly did with some of my reactions over the past two months. I never meant to…”

“Stop it, MacGyver.” Pete cut him off. “It is not your fault. Stop blaming yourself.”

Mac looked up at Pete.

A lot easier said than done, Pete, he thought.

Their eyes locked; they both felt a sudden understanding and a little relief in this trying situation they were both tied in.

“Thanks, Pete.” Mac sighed, took another sip of his drink and walked around the kitchen island to the dining table. He scanned the files Pete had spread out only minutes earlier with his eyes. Then he set his glass down and laid one hand on Pete´s shoulder, squeezing softly.

“Thank you for being there.” he said with a little strained smile. “We won´t allow those guys to break our friendship apart, right?”

Pete covered Mac´s hand with his own and returned the smile.

“Right.”

MacGyver concentrated back on the reports.

“So, what have we got? Have you brought anything new with you?”

“Not really.” Pete shrugged and sat down. “Willis has tried to dig deeper into their properties and financial records once more, but nothing came up. The complex in the harbor, those expensive houses and the one south of Big Sur. All of them perfectly legal. Also nothing detectable in their accounts or company records. Not a trace of anything illicit in their books.” He sounded a little frustrated at the end.

“This means, we have to catch them red-handed.” Mac replied. “So we´re back to the plan of giving them bait.”

Pete looked up at him.

“I still don´t like the idea of you presenting yourself as a target.”

“I know. I´m not looking forward to it either.” Mac nodded. “But it´s gotta be.”

MacGyver took another mouthful of his shake and then wandered to the French glass doors on the other side of the houseboat. Mac pushed the vertical blinds aside and looked across the marina.

“When do I get to pick up the device and its construction plans? ... Along with the manual?” he asked after some silent moments.

He had just started to turn around to face Pete, as both of them heard the glass behind MacGyver break and something impact his desk. Mac felt and heard something pass by his neck close and fast in the same moment. He flinched away from it, dropped to the ground and rolled over to the closest wall while shouting:

“Pete! Take cover!”

Mac had hardly reached the wall as a second bullet shattered the other door and hit the floor close behind him. Pete had quickly slipped off his chair and hid behind the kitchen island. All of it had happened within only a few seconds. Now an eerie silence hung in the houseboat. Mac was pressed against the wall, momentarily frozen, his heart pounding.

“MacGyver, are you all right?”

He heard Pete call out to him after what felt like an eternity. It sounded strangely distant to him. He took a deep breath.

“Yeah, I´m fine… how about yourself?” he replied.

“I´m okay.”

Slowly MacGyver stood up, his back still close to the wall. He heard the rustle of Pete´s clothes as he got up from behind the kitchen island. Mac was staring at the broken glass doors, the shards on his floor and the impact holes the bullets had left. Automatically his mind started calculating the direction the bullets must have taken, thinking about where the rifle and the killer might have been. He felt Pete coming closer along the wall.

“Seems like it has stopped.” Pete said slowly. “I´m going to call the police and our forensics.”

He made his way cautiously over to Mac´s desk and picked up the phone. MacGyver heard him talk, but he didn´t listen to the words. Bit by bit the adrenaline rush ebbed away and his body loosened up again. He straightened himself and ran his hands through his hair nervously, once more looking over to the shards and his shattered doors.

This was a close call, he thought. If I hadn´t turned around in that very second…

Suddenly Pete was next to him and laid a hand on his arm. Mac flinched and turned his head to face him.

“Are you okay?” Pete asked, his face still pale with the shock.

Mac only nodded and covered Pete´s hand with his. His expression was dark with the realization that had hit him just a moment ago.

“Have you heard any gunfire?” Pete wanted to know.

“Not a thing.” Mac replied with a low voice. “He must have been at some distance.”

“You know, what that means?” Pete sighed deeply.

MacGyver gazed at his doors and then back at Pete.

“Yes, Pete…” he said flatly. “A sniper.”

It had taken hours until the police had taken their statements, the forensics had retrieved the bullets and everyone had left the houseboat again. After all the evidence had been collected, all the pictures had been taken and all the distances had been measured, MacGyver had cleaned up the shards and improvised a temporary replacement for the broken windows with plastic foil and duct tape.

Now he was sitting at his dining table, trying to consume the rest of his breakfast shake and watching Pete as he paced the houseboat, answered and made phone calls and gave orders. They were alone for only a short while, and Pete was still under high tension. He had just put down the receiver after another call, when Mac sighed deeply.

“Pete, would you please relax?” he asked. “It is not the first time someone has tried to shoot me.”

Pete turned abruptly to face his friend.

“Relax?” he snorted. “Someone? Mac, you´re taking this way too easy!”

Mac rolled his eyes.

“No, I´m not.” he replied as calm as he could. “But for the moment it is over. No need to panic right now. I just have to be more careful when I go outside again.”

“You´re going nowhere at the moment.” Pete retorted. “At least not without protection. This was way too close for my liking. This cartel is too dangerous for you to handle alone.”

“Now stop it right there!” Mac´s frustration was instantly spiked. “I can take care of myself! We don´t know if it was them. You know as well as I do that there´s a long list of people that would like to see me dead. It could have been anyone of my enemies.”

“But that sniper is still out there.” Pete countered. “The police have searched the area where they suspect he must have been – according to the direction of the bullets. They found nothing. Not a trace.”

“Did you expect him to wait for the police?” Mac asked a little too loud and still upset. “Pete, would you please stop jumping to conclusions before our forensics have their analysis done and their report ready?”

Pete snorted again, yet remained silent. He couldn´t argue with Mac´s logical mind.

“All right.” he agreed after a few moments. “Let´s go to the Foundation´s headquarters. We´ll be notified faster there and you might assist their research.”

MacGyver nodded, got up and put his empty glass into the sink. While Pete collected all his folders back into his briefcase, Mac headed upstairs to get his jacket. Pete was already waiting close to the door when he returned downstairs. Automatically Mac wanted to grab the keys for his Jeep, but Pete raised a hand to stop him.

“No.” he said. “You´re coming with me. The Jeep stays here. No need to give whoever is behind this another clue to where you are. You can take one of our pool cars later on.”

MacGyver sighed, but gave in quickly and accepted the offer.

Pete and MacGyver had arrived at Pete´s office only minutes before Willis rushed inside without knocking.

“Thank God, you´re both here.” he exclaimed. “I heard about what happened. Are you all right?” He eyed both of them worried and nervous.

Mac was sitting on the large couch opposite to Pete´s desk, right next to the huge picture hanging at the side of the office.

“Relax, Willis.” he said. “Everyone´s fine. Only my windows and my furniture have additional holes.”

Pete had just settled behind his desk. He looked up at Willis and MacGyver.

“Why don´t you two get back to your research?” he suggested. “I´ll let you know as soon as the ballistics report is ready.”

Mac nodded and got off the couch. At least he would have something to do while waiting for the results.

“Good idea. Let´s go, Willis.”

It was already late afternoon when Pete arrived at Willis´ lab unannounced. Mac and Willis had been digging into everything they could get their hands on with even the slightest connection to the cartel, but hadn´t been able to come up with something new. Willis had just left to get some more coffee when Pete entered the room.

“Hi, Pete.” Mac greeted him and exhaustedly rubbed his tired eyes. “What have you got?”

“Nothing yet.” Pete told him. “The ballistics lab has real trouble identifying those bullets and the rifle they might fit to… What about you?”

“About the same.” Mac admitted, sighing. “This cartel is extremely good at covering their tracks… I guess I´ll take some of the files with me so I can go through them in the evening at home.”

Pete took a deep breath. He knew for certain that Mac was not going to like what he was about to tell him next. But it had to be done. For MacGyver´s own good.

“You´re not going home.” he said as calm as possible.

MacGyver froze and then looked up at Pete stunned.

“What?”

“You are going to the safe house again.” Pete continued. “Jonas is waiting with the helicopter ready at the heliport. I am not going to take any chances on your life and safety.”

Mac was still perplexed.

“Pete, you can´t be serious…”

Pete took another deep breath.

“I´m sorry, Mac, but I am.” he responded. “I´m not going to argue about this. Take this as an order… You do remember, that I´m also your boss, do you?” Pete´s tone left no room for any discussion.

MacGyver´s stomach felt like it was forming a tight knot. He had real difficulty fighting back his anger.

“What about our plan with the bloodhound?” he asked hardly controlled. “You know time is a crucial factor on this one…”

“I am still trying to work out something out with the DEA. They also insist on seeing the ballistics report first.” Pete replied flat. “We´re not sure about anything right now.”

Mac hadn´t moved yet, but now he sat up straight in his chair, closed the folder he had been studying, when Pete had come in, and set it down on the desk. He swallowed his frustration as best as he could.

“When do I leave?” he wanted to know while he stared at the reports on the desk, not willing to look at Pete at the moment.

“As soon as possible.” he heard Pete say in a matter-of-fact and irrevocable tone. “At best, now.”

Pete had chosen the same safe house for him as the last time, however this time MacGyver didn´t have eyes for the beautiful view over the Pacific Ocean. He had walked directly inside with the folders from the lab under his arm after Jonas had dropped him off in the garden. Pete hadn´t summoned that many personnel this time to guard the house and Mac had only muttered a grim greeting to them, barely able to hide his frustration.

He perched himself on the couch, sitting there silent for a while, looking out to the horizon but not really seeing the view. He tried to understand why Pete wasn´t holding up to their agreement from last afternoon. Mac wasn´t able to see the reason behind Pete´s reaction. Was it only because someone had tried to kill him? It hadn´t been the first and it probably wouldn´t be the last time for something like this to happen.

Why was he putting Mac out of the way and out of touch when there was a plan to set up? Time wouldn´t wait for them to get prepared. That shipment for the cartel was to arrive at the ‘end of the week’ as Luke had called it. Tomorrow was already Friday…

After some time MacGyver shook his head still not comprehending and turned to the folders on the coffee table. He pulled one of them closer, opened it and started to read. It happened to be the one containing the detailed reports on the cartel´s properties and real estates.

“As good as anything.” Mac sighed to himself. “Better than just sitting around.”

The sun had already set behind the horizon when the helicopter returned. MacGyver heard it approach and land while he was in the kitchen getting himself some orange juice. For a moment he was tempted to hurry outside and get any news as soon as possible, but then his frustration and disappointment took over and he just slowly walked back to the living room to await Pete there. He noticed quickly that Jonas wasn´t shutting down the helicopter, so either the needed to leave in a hurry, or this was meant to be only a short yet important visit. Mac´s interest instantly peaked.

“Hi, Pete.” he greeted as Pete reached the patio. “What brings you to my refuge?” He couldn´t help the dripping sarcasm in his voice.

Pete stopped outside and looked at Mac seriously.

“The ballistics report is ready.” he answered, trying not to be provoked by Mac´s behavior.

“You could have called me…” Mac continued; his voice still bitter. “This place has a telephone…”

“Well, I wanted to tell you face to face.” Pete countered while he entered the living room through the open glass doors. He looked around and saw the open folders and files spread out on the coffee table and the couch.

Mac only turned around to face him, but didn´t move from his place by the open doors.

“So?”

Pete took a deep breath before looking at his friend. He hated having to do this. He knew, he had no good news for him, and he knew in his bad mood Mac wasn´t going to accept easily what he had to tell and order him. Pete could see that he was still annoyed by even having to be here.

“The lab says the bullets were manufactured in China according to the spectroscopic analysis.” Pete said without further preamble. “The caliber and markings fit to some high-tech rifle also manufactured in China. Preferably used by snipers. That make and model is known to be shipped and sold by the Hong Kong cartel. The agencies confirmed that… I´m sorry, Mac, but this is enough evidence that it was the cartel, who was trying to get rid of you this morning.”

Mac´s dark expression didn´t change.

“So why are you sorry?” he asked coldly after a brief silence.

Pete decided not to react to that question at the moment and tried to ignore Mac´s bad temper.

“You´ve been to the prison to visit Chen, you´ve been to Chinatown and you have seen Luke.” he inquired. “What else have you done that may have brought them on to you?”

“Before I went to see Luke, I observed their office building and warehouse for a while. I was trying to get a feel for it. It´s only two blocks away from Jade Dragon.” Mac gave in and replied. “The rest was lab work… But why are you questioning me?” The last sentence left his mouth a little louder than necessary.

“I´m trying to understand, why they went after you so sudden, so soon.” Pete explained.

“Obviously they are afraid, I´m on to something.” Mac declared, gesturing to the files. “I gotta be close to something they want to hide.”

“Or you´ve just been snooping around too much and were noticed…” Pete objected.

MacGyver was speechless for a moment.

“What? … That´s supposed to be part of my job, right?” he stated with a low voice.

He didn´t like the direction this conversation was heading. He didn´t like the whole situation. The feeling in his gut told him, there was still something worse to come as Pete looked at him with some strange mixture of sorrow, pain and determination.

“That´s right.” Pete agreed at first and then sighed. “But not this time. This is getting too dangerous.”

“What?” Mac didn´t comprehend at once. “What are you talking about?”

“You´re off the case, MacGyver.” Pete made clear what he had meant. “I´m pulling you off this case. We´re going to take this on with the DEA, but you are not going to be a part of it. You are going to stay put right here until everything is over.”

MacGyver was stunned silent as he processed the information. Then his frustration turned into boiling anger.

“That is what you wanted to tell me face to face?” he asked barely audible. “You´re locking me up again… Pete, we had an agreement yesterday…”

“That was before you got shot at.” Pete held up his hands in defense. “I just want you to be safe.”

“I can take care of myself!” Mac suddenly yelled at him, his fury taking over. “You´ve sent me to uncountable dangerous and life-threatening missions over the past years! I´ve always managed to survive.”

“Well, this time I´ve decided that I´m going to protect you.” Pete replied sharply.

“What?” Mac couldn´t believe what he heard. “Why?”

“Obviously I don´t want you to get killed!” Pete bellowed back.

MacGyver drew in a sharp breath. How was he supposed to counter that?

“What makes you think I will?” he asked as controlled as possible.

“Your plan is to go out with something classified, not knowing whom you will be up against, not knowing what might happen and think you will improvise some solution.” Pete explained gesticulating agitated.

“That´s exactly what I usually do. That´s what I´m good at.” Mac snorted, glaring at Pete. “After all those years, what is suddenly wrong with that?”

“It might not work out as planned.” Pete opposed angrily. “I saw you freeze two months ago. I think you are pushing yourself too far. You might not yet be able to rise to the occasion. You are not yet back to your own self, your mental strength and your true abilities.”

The last sentences felt like someone had punched MacGyver hard into the stomach. He was caught totally off guard and took an involuntary step backwards. His grip on the glass with the orange juice almost slipped. He only managed to turn away and stare into what was left of the sunset. He didn´t know if he felt more hurt or more furious.

How on earth, after all those years they´d known each other, could Pete out of all people say something like this?

“So it is true.” he said barely audible and stone cold after a few silent moments. “You don´t trust me.”

“Mac, this is not about my trust in you.” He heard Pete object. “This is about protecting you from harm. I am responsible for that. As your boss… and as your friend.” Pete´s tone got soft ´til the end.

But that earlier remark had cut too deep. MacGyver wasn´t willing to try and control his anger any longer. Slowly he turned back to face Pete. His dark eyes were ablaze with pain and bitter disappointment.

“Yeah, some friend you are… some support… overprotecting me against my will… and not keeping true to your word.” Mac´s voice was low but raging.

“Mac, this is not how I meant it.” Pete tried to calm MacGyver with a soothing tone. “I am only trying to…”

He was cut off as Mac rose one hand deprecating.

“Leave me alone.”

It was hardly more than a whisper. Mac´s eyes had dropped to the floor.

“Please, listen to me.” Pete tried again. “This conversation went the wrong way. Let me try to explain…”

“No.” Mac cut him off once more. “I don´t want to hear any of it. If you think, I´m not ready for and up to this, you should handle it alone. Just go ahead.” His low voice was sharp now.

Pete sighed.

“But, Mac, you gotta give me...”

“Leave me alone!” Mac suddenly shouted at him again and then took a step aside to clear the doorway. “Your helicopter is waiting.”

Pete´s face was desperate now, but Mac didn´t care. He was breathing heavily with the rage he felt, yet held Pete´s gaze silent for several moments. When Pete stepped closer to him, tried to lay a hand on his arm and opened his mouth to address him, Mac brushed him off with a wave of his hand and walked away to the couch.

Pete had to swallow hard to keep his composure as his eyes followed his friend. MacGyver kept his back to him; for him the conversation was over. Pete felt his own heart pounding and aching. He had never intended to hurt Mac with his wish to keep him safe. But the damage was done and at the moment Mac left him no chance to suture the wound he had unwillingly inflicted. It was better to leave him alone and let his emotions cool down.

“I´ll keep you posted on anything new…” Pete told him, his words breaking with the lump in his throat. When he didn´t get any reaction for some moments, Pete turned and left for the waiting helicopter.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thank you for this chapter. Definitely has my interest. Can't wait for the next chapter.... :D :D :D
B
Monika

Post by Monika »

Thank you bluegirl for this chapter. You make it really exciting.
I love it and look forward to the sequel.

From Monika with love