Breaking Point - a MacGyver FanFiction

bluegirl

Breaking Point - a MacGyver FanFiction

Post by bluegirl »

Hello everyone!

Since I finally finished my first shot at an english fanfic - I am a non-native-english speaker - and I also found the courage to post the first part of it, I thought I might share the link in this forum as well...

http://www.macgyveronline.com/forums/in ... opic=10429

I hope some of you will enjoy...
Last edited by bluegirl on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The stuff is already there. I just find a different way to use it.
bftlovesRDA

Re: Breaking Point

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thanks for your fanfiction link. (Would have loved to have read it in the forum but that's ok). It's very good. You did a good job! Am wanting to read more! Please keep writing.

Welcome to rdanderson.com.
B
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Part 2 is online...
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Another part well done! Thanks for continuing to write. More please. Poor Mac. And what a surprise!
B
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Again thanks for your thoughts... exciting to see someone else enjoy it

The story is finished, I intend to post a new part every second day... there´s a lot more to come (Ms Word tells me it´s more than 50.000 words...) and more surprises to come

I started playing around with a sequel in my head ;) but I don´t know how long it will take to write it down. 'Breaking Point' took about two months to write and another one to type it into the computer - I prefer longhand writing with my favourite fountain pen - I couldn´t do it directly on my laptop.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

bluegirl wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:20 pm Again thanks for your thoughts... exciting to see someone else enjoy it

The story is finished, I intend to post a new part every second day... there´s a lot more to come (Ms Word tells me it´s more than 50.000 words...) and more surprises to come

I started playing around with a sequel in my head ;) but I don´t know how long it will take to write it down. 'Breaking Point' took about two months to write and another one to type it into the computer - I prefer longhand writing with my favourite fountain pen - I couldn´t do it directly on my laptop.
Hi,

The story is finished? But you intend to post a new part every second day and there's a lot more to come? THAT's GREAT! But I am a bit confused. If it is finished, will there be more soon or not?

I hope there is more to this story.......didn't want to leave Mac in such a state......well, that's up to you of course. Just asking.

Thanks for the writing effort. Your English came across very well.
B
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

The whole story is finished, but I divided it into 14 chapters for posting... My imagination is working on a sequel.

About leaving Mac in a state like this... it was ment to be challenging... what did I say about pushing the characters to their limits?
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

bluegirl wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:54 pm The whole story is finished, but I divided it into 14 chapters for posting... My imagination is working on a sequel.

About leaving Mac in a state like this... it might get worse before it gets better... :?
OHHHH - I understand now!!!! The story is finished but will continue to be posted every other day. 14 chapters. GOOD!

Well, wherever your author's mind leads you will be fine with me. Looking forward to more.
B
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

Since I was asked to also post my FanFic here via pm, not only the link...

Here I go. This is my first shot at posting a fanfic, it is even my first shot at a completed fanfic... It did get a lot bigger and longer than I expected it to get when I started writing it down. I´ve been playing around with the storyline for about 15 years in my head - yes really!

I´ve been writing fanfic a long time ago when MacGyver was aired for the first time in Austria and stuck to it for quite some years. I can´t really remember why or when I stopped. Of course those stories were all written in german, as I am not a native english speaker. And this was at least 25 years ago. But I still have them archived, so maybe I will pick up some of those ideas and give them another try. This time in english.

I tried my best to stay true to the characters, although I also push them to their limits and challenge them. Especially Mac and Pete. As I am not native-english-speaking I rely on my trusty dictionary, google and MS Word to help me with spelling, grammar and phrases. But please, be patient and forgiving...

But feel free to share your thoughts!

I hope you have as much fun reading as I had writing it!
bluegirl

Post by bluegirl »

This takes place soon after 'The Wasteland' - please note that I rated the story 'R' on macgyveronline.com

Part 1

Silence.

It was the first thing he noticed as he came around. Then there was the pain in his head, when he tried to move, to turn to his side. He automatically felt for the bump behind his ear and let out a moan. Slowly MacGyver started to take in his surroundings. The floor he was lying on was cold and hard; when he cautiously blinked his eyes open, there was only little, next to no light.

He could barely make out the walls of the small room, as he looked around. They seemed to be built of sturdy wood. One of them held a door, but there were no windows. The only sources of light were the small gaps between the wooden planks of the walls.

MacGyver carefully turned to his side and then sat up, still looking around. Nothing else was to be seen. His belt and his jacket were gone, and when he checked his pockets, he realized, they were empty, so they also took his Swiss army knife.

Not much to work with.

And by the way, who were they?

MacGyver suddenly realized he had absolutely no idea, where he was and who had kidnapped him. He had been on a biking tour. Someone had asked him for the direction, because they had lost their way in the hills above Malibu. The situation had seemed and felt perfectly normal. Nothing to be suspicious about. But the next thing he knew was waking up here only a few moments ago.

As he slowly got up on his feet, a wave of dizziness washed over him. Mac had to steady himself against the wooden wall. We waited a few seconds to let the worst of it pass, and then started examining his cell closely. There had to be some clue to where he was, to whom was behind this, to what this was all about.

A few minutes later he sat down again, feeling a little discouraged and helpless.

The door obviously opened to the outside, the lock and the hinges were not reachable from inside the room. The walls around him had also been built from the other side – there were no nails or screws to be seen or felt. The tiny gaps between some of the solid planks were too small to get a good look outside, and the planks were too tall to reach their top, even when he had tried to jump. Their bottom was not visible as they were buried in the ground. He could hear almost nothing from the outside. No cars, no trains, only some bird calls. Nothing to help him find out where he might be. The floor was made of tamped clay, so he figured he might be held outside of the city, in some kind of rural area.

But he still had no lead to whom or why they had taken him. Since he had nothing to work his way out of here, MacGyver decided to wait. Sitting in the corner farthest from the door, he managed to find a tolerably comfortable position leaning against the wall. He closed his eyes and tried to will the throbbing in his head away.

At some point MacGyver must have dozed off, because he was startled awake, when he suddenly heard someone approaching the door. Within seconds all his senses were on alert. He hurried to get up on his feet, while someone on the outside was opening a padlock, as it seemed from the sounds. He had been in tight spots before, kidnapped, captured, but there had always been a chance to escape. Mac held on to that thought. Even if he still had no idea who was behind this, or why he was being held, there had to be a way. He just had to find it.

When the door swung open to the outside, Mac was for a moment blinded by the light that suddenly flooded his small cell. Two men entered the room, one of them huge and muscular built, the other one smaller, but also athletic and obviously of Asian descent. Both of them were armed, their weapons still in holsters on their belts. They didn´t say a word, but the Asian guy signaled MacGyver to come with them.

Mac didn´t move. “Hello, guys. Would you mind telling me, where we´re going?”

He didn´t get an answer, but the big one closed in on him, rudely grabbed his arm and shoved him to the door. MacGyver stumbled, avoided falling, then straightened himself again and raised his hands a little in defense.

“All right, I´m coming…”

He got the point. Better not provoke those guys…

MacGyver was guided through a corridor; everything was built out of wood. They passed several doors, all closed, some with padlocks.

More cells?, Mac asked himself.

The corridor was brightly lit, but all the lamps were at the highest point inside the roof, way out of reach. Mac scanned everything, looking for an opportunity, for anything he could use. The end of the corridor also held a door, but just as he started to think about, which one would lead out of the building, he was stopped.

The Asian opened a door at his side, and he was pushed inside a large room. In the middle of that room a chain was hanging down with shackles at its end. Mac´s hair at the back of his neck instantly stood on end, a wave of fear washed through him. But he had no time to think about it, the large thug dragged him forward. Together they put the cuffs around his wrists. The cuffs were made of iron, about two inches wide, secured with a padlock. They forced Mac´s hands close together, palms facing each other, and fit quite tightly. The chain was also secured with the lock, and as tight as his hands were held together, he had no way of reaching that padlock.

Just when he started figuring out ways, his hands and arms were pulled up above his head. Looking up, he saw, that the chain threaded through a ring screwn into a sturdy wooden beam just below the roof. From there it went along the beam and through another ring back down a wall, where it just got secured by a bolt by the Asian man. MacGyver had to stand straight, his arm almost straightened out fully; the cuffs were starting to dig into his wrists. Mac took a few deep breaths, trying to calm himself down. His arms were forced in front of his face, so he turned his head to look around the room. There was another door at his side, and an empty table close to it. Apart from that, there was nothing to work with. No windows, no sounds so far. Only some kind of pipe was running along the same beam as the chain. And the floor was different here. It was made of concrete. He heard the door behind him close, and the sound of their footsteps signaled to Mac that the men had left him alone.

MacGyver waited for a few moments, listening intensely. Then he tried pulling on the chain, trying if it would give him a little more room. Within seconds he felt someone grab the nape of his neck rudely and froze instantly.

“Don´t try anything funny.” The words were spoken coldly with Chinese accent. The threat was obvious.

MacGyver nodded slowly. “All right. I won´t.” His heart was pounding. He had really thought to be alone.

The hand left his neck, the guard backed away. Mac couldn´t see him, it all happened behind his back.

MacGyver closed his eyes for a moment, trying to calm his breath again. He concentrated on staying positive, on hanging on to the thought, that there was always a way. But he frightened by the thought of what might be about to happen. Mac took another deep breath, straightened himself, and waited. His training for the DXS many years ago had also covered situations like this, but only theoretically. Whoever was keeping him here, tried to put him under pressure, tried to push him mentally and emotionally. Following the textbook, the next thing to happen was physical pressure. Mac wasn´t looking forward to it. But he was determined not to let it show.

The longer MacGyver had to wait, the harder it got for him to control his thoughts. He had tried to think about possible masterminds behind all this, but recent Phoenix operations had had no connections to Asia. After what had felt like endless hours of standing there, he still had not even the slightest idea, what this was all about. His body also demanded his attention. The shackles dug into his wrists; when he tried to stretch a little more – just to take the pressure off them – his arms and shoulders protested vehemently. It also put his head and neck into a position that was anything but comfortable. He got tired, he got thirsty, and he got hungry. With being held first in darkness, now in bright light, MacGyver had no clue to what time or day it was. He knew that under circumstances like this, it was dangerous to trust his feelings about time passing. But it had to be hours, so he was sure, his friends outside had noticed he was missing. He had planned a meeting with Pete Thornton after his biking tour. By now he had to be looking for MacGyver. The hope for possible help from the outside aided Mac to fight his fear, to keep his spirit up.

All of a sudden the door to his side opened. The big guard entered, followed by another Asian man. He was taller than the guard behind MacGyver, but obviously not as well trained. He sat down a small metal case on the table, and then turned to MacGyver. He looked all over Mac and walked around him until he was back to face him.

MacGyver felt the adrenaline rush through him. He fought to stay calm, but could feel himself trembling inside. This was it. Now he might be getting some answers. But what might be the cost? The man remained silent, so MacGyver decided to make the first move.

“Hi, name´s MacGyver.” he managed to smile. “I´m sorry, that we can´t shake hands, but I´m kind of … bound at the moment.”

The man seemed to be amused. “I know who you are.” His answer was stone cold. “I know you can be quite elusive. And quite stubborn. We are prepared for your creative tricks.” He took a step back and leaned against the table.

MacGyver swallowed hard. After those words he felt even more trapped.

“It is your decision, how comfortable this is going to be for you.” the man continued after a few moments. “I need some information. I am confident, that you will give it to me, MacGyver.”

Mac held his breath for a moment. That´s what he had been expecting. But no matter what, he would not give away any classified or sensitive information. He smiled apologetically.

“I´d love to help you, but my memory always seems to get weak under pressure … and I didn´t get your name..?”

His smile wasn´t returned. “I am quite sure, you will remember … we have the means to help you remember … and my name is of no importance to you.”

Mac cleared his throat. “I´m sure, you do.” He said with a low voice, more to himself. He was still wondering, what might be in that small metal case.

Now his opposite smiled grimly. “I want you to tell me the access codes for the Computer systems at Phoenix Research”, he demanded.

MacGyver was stunned for a moment. His mind instantly hit overdrive. So that´s was this was all about. Two weeks ago someone had tried to break into the Phoenix Foundations Computer Systems. He remembered talking about it with Pete and Willis. Research had been the target of the attempted attack. MacGyver had helped build up the security for this systems, but that had been years ago, shortly after he had joined the Phoenix Foundation together with Pete Thornton. There had been no lead to who was behind the attack. Even Willis had been unable to trace anything. Now Mac knew. He was facing him.

But even if Mac had wanted to give away the information, he wouldn´t have been able to. The access codes were changed on a regular basis, and they had been changed after the attack. He didn´t know those codes. His security level at Phoenix was high, but not that high. It was likely he would have been able to hack into the system but it would take a high end computer and time. Days, if not even weeks. MacGyver prepared himself to talk himself out of this – if his opponents got to know, that he really couldn´t provide the information, he would quite likely be killed.

“I am with the operations department, I´m sorry, that´s not my business at Phoenix.” he told the Asian man. Mac tried sounding cooperative and helpful.

The man only nodded.

The next thing Mac noticed was a vigorous blow to his back, just above his kidney. The hit drove the air out of his lungs. With some difficulty he bit back a surprised and painful yelp. They gave him a few seconds to recover, then the Asian gave up his relaxed position at the table and slowly approached Mac again.

“I don´t believe you.”

MacGyver drew in a deep breath, tried to ignore the pain, fought for staying upright.

“I´m sorry, you´ve caught the wrong man.”

Another punch hit his back hard. He couldn´t avoid coughing this time, but managed to straighten himself again. He was determined not to show them how the pain was affecting him.

The Asian man circled him once more.

“You helped build up this security system.” he stated as he was standing behind MacGyver. Now the thugs were facing him.

“That was a few years ago, I´m not involved with it anymore”, Mac said over his shoulder. He saw the kick to his ribs coming in the corner of his eye, but he didn´t have enough time to brace himself. A sharp pain rushed through his chest. He knew, he wouldn´t be standing anymore, if there hadn´t been the handcuffs holding him in place. His vision blurred, he had to fight for staying conscious. Mac was breathing hard, when the Asian man came up close behind.

“You are Peter Thornton´s main guy, his right hand.” he said. “You expect me to believe, you know nothing about it, because it´s another department?”

MacGyver´s thoughts went to high speed again. He had been telling the truth – well, not the whole truth – but he had to find another way to talk himself out of this. He wasn´t sure, how much more he could take, before revealing something, he didn´t want to reveal.

The Asian man returned to the table, taking in his relaxed position again.

Mac raised his head a little and faced him. He couldn´t see him as clearly as before.

“I might be able to show you how to get past the security.” he supposed. Maybe lying would buy him some time. “Depends on what information you want to retrieve from the research department.”

The Asian laughed sarcastically. “You expect me to put you in front of a computer with a modem connection?” he asked.

MacGyver only nodded, smiling weakly.

“Nice try, Mr. MacGyver.”, the man continued. “If I would allow you that, the whole Phoenix Foundation would know where to look for you within minutes. I won´t risk that. I know what you´re capable of. We´ve done our homework on you.” He paused for a moment, then looked MacGyver directly in the eyes. “We don´t need your colleagues squirming around here. I guess we need a little more private time. We need to work on your cooperation.”

Another strike hit MacGyver´s stomach. He groaned, his knees gave way, but the sudden pull on his wrists and shoulders made him stand straight fast. He had been beaten before, but those guys definitely knew, how to weaken him and how to cause maximum pain. Keeping up his façade got harder and harder. He couldn´t stop his hands from trembling anymore.

His opponent seemed to notice. “I am waiting for an answer.” he pushed. “Tell me those codes, and the pain will end.”

MacGyver sighed. “If I tell you those codes, you will kill me.”, he replied.

The Asian laughed at him.

“Why should I? If you can provide information, you might still be valuable. Don´t underestimate yourself.” he explained. “Just as I said, MacGyver. You decide. Do we have to convince you the hard way?”

MacGyver straightened himself again, reconsidering his few possibilities. He tried to prepare himself for the inevitable, tried to close his mind to the pain.

His opposite mistook his hesitation for stubbornness. With a flick of his head he ordered the two guards to approach MacGyver.

Mac had only one moment to steel himself against the next strike, but it was no use. The blows rained down on him, he had no means to avoid them or defend himself. Mac only managed to protect his face and head a little between his arms. Now and then he was given a short break, which allowed him to recover a bit. Several times he could barely avoid passing out. After what had felt like an eternity, they suddenly left him alone.

MacGyver was breathing hard. His legs wouldn´t carry him anymore, he was hanging slack from his cuffed wrists. His whole body was hurting; every breath felt like someone was stabbing his chest. Probably a cracked rib, he assessed somewhat automatically. He gathered his last ounces of strength and fought the darkness that was trying to take him away. Not now, he thought. Not yet.

MacGyver´s head was still hanging between his outstretched arms, when someone grabbed a fistful of his hair at the back of his head and pulled back abruptly. MacGyver had almost managed to remain quiet through the beating, but now he released a surprised yelp of pain. Although his vision was blurred, he recognized the leader of the group close to his side.

“So?” he asked. “The codes, MacGyver ... you can end this suffering.”

MacGyver felt himself trembling with pain and exhaustion. “I can´t … tell you … what … I don´t know.” His voice was breaking; even talking took quite an effort.

The man released his head and walked back to the table. He opened the metal case. MacGyver´s gaze followed him. He barely made out some small glass bottles and syringes. Another surge of adrenaline rushed through him. No, not again, he thought. He had been poisoned before, and that was not quite a pleasant memory.

“Get him down.” the Asian ordered his guards. “Take off the cuffs.”

When the chain gave way, MacGyver dropped to his knees. He had to steady himself with the help of his hands to avoid collapsing to the ground. He swayed, as the smaller Asian thug pulled up his arms and released his wrists. When Mac saw their leader fill up a syringe his survival instinct kicked in again. He got up on his feet and took an unsteady step backwards.

“Hey guys, I got this thing about needles…”

When the man turned around to him, the syringe in his hand, Mac tried to evade the guards, but he was too weakened and too slow. The huge one grabbed his arm and pulled hard, throwing Mac against the wall. Once again, the air was forced out of MacGyver´s lungs by the impact. His head crushed onto the wood and with stars dancing in front of his eyes, he collapsed to the ground. Before he had any time to recover or react, one of his arms was forced to bend behind his back. The huge thug wrapped his arm around his neck, pressing against his throat and pulling him up again. The second guard grabbed his free arm, straightened it out and pulled up his sleeve.

His vision still threatening to black out Mac saw the man with the syringe closing in on him. MacGyver frantically struggled to free himself, but it was no use. The Asian found a vein and injected the contents. He felt a sudden burning sensation in his arm right after the shot. After the needle was pulled out, they released Mac out of their hold, and he dropped to his knees again. He automatically reached for his throbbing arm, rubbing it.

“You are probably wondering about the effects.” the Asian declared, while returning to the table and putting the syringe back into the case. He turned to face and observe MacGyver.

“This serum has been designed and mixed specially for you. You will definitely enjoy it. But you don´t have to be afraid. It has been diluted, so the dose is low enough that it won´t kill you. You will experience all of its effects in a few hours.” He paused for a moment, while Mac was silently looking up at him.

“Hopefully this will convince you to cooperate.” He turned around, closed his case and left the room.

When he was gone, the two thugs grabbed Mac´s upper arms and pulled him up. They forced him out of the room, down the corridor and back to his dark cell. MacGyver wouldn´t have been able to walk this far on his own. When they pushed him back into the small room, he stumbled, fell against the wall and to the ground. The door closed behind him and he was alone in the dark.

MacGyver lay motionless for a few minutes, and then slowly got up on his hands and knees and crawled to the back of his cell. He cautiously stretched out on his back, feeling the cold clay floor against his bruises. He was staring into the darkness, trying to sort his thoughts about what had happened.

The Asian overweight man had sometimes referred to himself in singular person, sometimes he had talked about “we”. Was he the head of this group, or was there some mastermind behind him? Obviously they really needed those access codes; otherwise he would possibly be dead by now. But the alternative wasn´t much fun either.

MacGyver already felt totally worn out, yet he didn´t know what was still to come. He had a few hours until the symptoms of the drug would show. His heart was still pounding; he had a hard time controlling his breath and no chance of suppressing the trembling in his body. He was covered in sweat from exhaustion and pain. Mac tried to will the pain away, tried to hold on to his survival instinct. There had to be a way out. As long as he was alive, there had to be a chance.

Suddenly, without any warning, the small room was flooded with bright light. MacGyver winced, automatically raised his arms in defense and covered his eyes. But nothing else happened.

Mac rose up a little, looking around the room suspiciously. He recognized a small camera next to the floodlight. Camera and light were mounted way out of reach, just under a beam holding up the roof. He hadn´t noticed them on his first examination of the room in the darkness. All right, so they were observing him.

MacGyver sat there for a few minutes, considering his possibilities. Whoever was behind this, knew a lot about him. They had left nothing for him to work with. He still had no means to escape all this, so he figured the best thing he could do was try to get some rest and recuperate. So he curled himself up on his side, covering his face with his arm and finally allowed himself to fall asleep. His last thought went out to Pete, who had to be searching for him by now.

Hurry up, Pete, he thought. I could use your help this time. Please, hurry.