MacGyver: The Complete Series Blu-ray Set (Koch Films Germany)

Jano

MacGyver: The Complete Series Blu-ray Set (Koch Films Germany)

Post by Jano »

Mac friends! I'm VERY excited that today, I'm finally able to announce MacGyver: The Complete Series Blu-ray box set from us at Koch Films in Germany (well, actually, from *them* at Koch Films, I'm only helping as an external advisor and Mac expert).

Yes, MacGyver will finally be back on Blu-ray in late 2020!

A little backstory on this release: I first checked in with my friends at Koch Films about one and a half years ago when the Mac remaster was first announced because I saw no chance that there would be any CBS BDs. So they checked, but the license wasn't available at that time because CBS in fact wanted to do the BDs themselves. (Don't we know it now!) Fast forward to one year later when they did do them ... and ... uh ... "surprisingly" realized it's not worth it for them.

Anyway, when it became clear there would be no further seasons from CBS and they even started to send out official email replies they had no plans to continue the series, I talked to my friend at Koch again in late April of this year. So they checked again ... and yes, after a couple months of waiting it finally became clear that it will in fact work out. (When CBS license out a property externally, they first do some sort of "feedback round" with their official local branches all over the world to see if any of them might be interested in still doing the property... in which case it wouldn't be licensed. But no CBS/Universal branch wanted to do Mac, so it was finally available for Koch.)

This is very exciting for me as I never thought I'd one day be able to see an ultimate high-quality version of Mac... much less actually help making it the best possible version for the fans. I can't go into much details as of now since we haven't started preproduction yet (we're currently expecting the box to come out next fall or winter), but I'll be writing an extensive booklet on the show's production and background and we'll try to add some cool bonus features (in terms of potential behind the scenes stuff, bloopers, b-roll etc., this will all come down to what is available from CBS, so I can't make any promises regarding that) and also possibly shoot some new interviews etc.

Now, of course, this is an American forum and you're probably wondering: "Nice for the German folks, but why should I care?" I can answer that for you: CBS will have the right to use our Blu-ray masters for their own CBS US edition of the show, and from what I've heard so far, they are in fact planning to do it. I can't say anything definite about this yet, though, since what they will end up doing or not doing is fully up to them, and if they do it, I don't know if it'd be a Complete Series set or if they would continue with the individual seasons. But anyway, in case they don't end up doing it after all, I'm sure you guys know how to get your hands on a foreign release if need be ... ;)

As for possible questions that might come up right away:
- Yes, we'll include season one again and will make sure that the "white flicker" compression problems won't make an appearance this time. ;)
- We'll try to include the slightly extended version of the pilot with the deleted scene set in the Pentagon. Both tv movies will be included, but only in SD, I'm afraid. CBS haven't remastered them and have no plans to do so, so it's unfortunately impossible to add them in a better version.
- We will try to have the original Mac logo recreated, so that our release doesn't come with the horrible random standard font logo that has been used since the DVDs came out. That's not a promise yet as it will depend on whether we'll be able to get a designer who will make it look awesome, but I hope we'll be able to make it work. :)
- The box set will come with both English and German audio.

(For those who are careful enough to require sources and don't trust just some random dude on a forum, here you go :D: https://www.facebook.com/KochFilms/photos/a...96810767016942/)
Jack(s)

Re: MacGyver: The Complete Series Blu-ray Set (Koch Films Germany)

Post by Jack(s) »

that sounds good. just told my husband to start saving the money. any idea about the price range?

thanks for passing on the wonderful news
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
Jano

Post by Jano »

I can't say yet, but based on their other releases, I'd think it will be below 200 EUR. Their complete series sets for shows with four seasons are usually between 75 and 90 EUR, so I'd assume it could end up being in the 150-175 EUR price range or so for the suggested retail price. But it's still too early to tell. I'll keep you posted on this. :)
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Thanks for the info , Jano . I remember your video/ interview of RDA in Toulouse . Must have been fun ! :)
Jano

Post by Jano »

Haha, glad you enjoyed it. :mrgreen: Yes, that was indeed a super fun day. Woah, I just realize it's been three years already ... time flies! :shock:
Jen85

Post by Jen85 »

This is amazing news. Really looking forward to watching all the eps in high def. 😃
Mac: Two guys with bazookas blew up your cab.
Jack: They blew up my cab with a bazooka?
Mac: Two bazookas. But I can explain.
Jack: Bazookas? You can explain bazookas? YOU CANNOT EXPLAIN BAZOOKAS!
keemarcello

Post by keemarcello »

Hello, Do you finally know when this series will go on sale in bluray?
Will it be 4.3 or 16: 9? It would be great to be able to enjoy it on a wide screen.
I would also like to know what audios it contains. Will it have Spanish (Castilian) audio, or only English and German? It would be very good to include several audios, at least Spanish since it is the second most spoken language in the world
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

I love the HD version, really, sharp pictures, great! The only downside is that it robs me of part of my childhood. The razor-sharp images reveal a lot, sometimes details, that you don't want to see!
Took a couple of screenshots today that clearly show that it's not RDA in the respective scene.
Everything has its advantages and disadvantages :o
I prefer to stay in my RDA related dream world :oops:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Jano

Post by Jano »

Sorry I didn't read this sooner. We're still working on it (well, mostly my friends at Koch Films) and I don't really expect a release before early-mid 2022. The first of the three CBS shows, Charmed, just got released, and there will still be a Streets of San Francisco set coming before it's Mac's turn.

The BDs will use the new CBS masters, i.e. the episodes will look like they did on CBS's season 1 BD. Full HD with the original 4:3 image pillarboxed. It's a German release so there won't be any audio or subtitle tracks besides German and English.

More details are still to be cleared, but I can reveal that we'll have at least one new exclusive interview with a certain someone:

Personally, I'd love to have any new RDA material at all, but he's completely impossible to reach and there's never been any response whether through CBS nor any other contact, not even his former agents. It seems like he just isn't interested in any showbiz stuff anymore nowadays and doesn't care for being a part of the box. Too bad, that would have been really cool. Maybe we'll at least still be able to get Teri Hatcher and/or Bruce McGill involved in some way. Fingers crossed.

The box will be exclusive to the Koch Films online store, which only ships within EU countries. For international fans that would like to get a box, I'll offer a forwarding service free of charge that anyone may feel to use. There won't be any costs beside what I myself have to pay on the Koch website and the actual postage via UPS (probably between 30-40 EUR to the US and other overseas countries). I just sent out about forty Charmed boxes to international fans in early June, too.

As for the price, I'm pretty sure it will be somewhere between 179 and 199 EUR. Miami Vice was 179, Charmed with eight seasons 199, so anywhere between that seems most likely.