Alien Prop Tablets/Screens ongoing translation project

Salem Moses

Alien Prop Tablets/Screens ongoing translation project

Post by Salem Moses »

Preempting the question, "what do those tablets say?"..

✯¸.•´*¨`*•✿ Translation of Alteran Prop Tablets ✿•*`¨*`•.¸✯
Sometimes the engraved symbol is too crude or misrepresented for a clear and definitive translation. Tis the life of an exoarchaeologist.. meh.

Image..
(another to come in this same post, but will take a while)

(4/29/23 Update: click here for complete tablet text)

(*puts on earphones to listen to Loreena McKennitt "The Mummers Dance"*, adjusts prescription glasses and starts deciphering next tablet*)
... meh
.. mm
.... (* sigh *)
...... (* increased finger tapping *)
........ (* leans back with growing frustration and nearly falls to floor *)
.......... AAUUuugghhh

I'm afraid that referencing the above tablet against that of the Alteran alphanumeric "Alpha" & "Beta" lexicon group which I'm utilizing, produced no legible results. Just an incoherent mess of random alphabet symbols which may have been intentional if this prop was a rush job to simply put something out in front of the camera without thought to if someone would later actually try and decipher it. I'll try and research older forms of the Alteran lexicon to see if maybe this tablet was from a much older version of their civilization. I'd really like to try and crack the language to see what all that writing was about.

(..The hands on the clock go round and round..)

..2 hrs later (funny how time seems to stop when you're focused on one thing, yet still flies by outside of your little bubble)

I am now of the thought that the tablet prop may well have meaning as I have come across canon showing new symbol lexicony for the Alteran language. As seen in the episode "Window of Opportunity", Teal'c stands in front of a chalkboard with (new?) Alteran lexicon symbols from the pillars on P4X-639. Daniel believes this form of Alteran language shows a close relation to Latin (still am checking into this for similarities but haven't found any as of yet). But as you can see on the chalkboard, there are symbols not represented on the standard Alteran language. I'll post-it note my current progress on my laptop and try and continue chipping away at this mystery tomorrow evening. Hopefully I can turn up some useful information. Too bad the series doesn't publish a "Daniel's Fieldbook" of handwritten notes he jotted down concerning ancient languages. It would be most helpful (and the franchise owner could find many a SG-1 field archaeologist/researcher willing to pay for it simply so we can be "in-the-know").

..and no Teal'c, I must not give up. Too many tablets left to translate for people to enjoy.

(5 minutes later watching Jack O'Neil at the chalkboard)

Ahh.. okay. The Alteran words relating to Latin then needs to be translated into English (thank you Google Translate). Now I just need to update my original Alteran lexicon dictionary with these new symbols that Daniel, Jack and Teal'c attaches a known (English) letter to. Is it technically accurate to call this chalkboard a Rosetta Stone?

(thanks to this project, I found the alphabets to Wraith, Nox, Furling, Gau'uld, Asgard, standard Ancient, old Ancient.. but not latin)

(Couple days later, I think)..

I printed out the tablet image at the library in 3 parts to provide a closer look at the letters on each 1/3 section. Then I tried to translate short 2-4 letter words which (I thought) should be relatively easy (*sound of bubble about to burst*). From my point of view, with referencing the tablet lexicon language against my notes for 3 versions of Alteran language ("Alpha" -the oldest, "Beta" -not so old, and "Gamma" -the newest). The prop is figured to simply be a visual prop without any meaning given to the arrangement of lettering. Rows of random consonants with few vowels. Not quite what I hoped to find, but sometimes a prop is simply a prop.
Last edited by Salem Moses on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:38 am, edited 15 times in total.
Salem Moses

Re: Alien Prop Tablets/Screens ongoing translation project

Post by Salem Moses »

Message Embedded In Steps When Entering Atlantis

I had somewhat trouble deciphering this text in places until I realized the indicated props (noted with red box) was not only installed upside down, but backwards as well. WHew... I thought I was a goner there. So I found another image which just has the lettering so I could provide an accurate translation (including the prop error) to not only what was embedded on the steps, but also on the vertical Alteran message on the left. What I couldn't translate was left with a "?" because of text overlap.

The text lettering on the steps was from a cruder form of their language, hence my referencing it as "Alpha". The more refined text lettering seen on the first post tablet, had to have been from a later period. Hence my referencing it as "Beta". With the information provided on the chalkboard which included new letters (above post), I was working on a "Gamma" version of Alteran lexicony which most likely contained conjunctions, grammar rules of when to turn a letter 180*, using different Alteran symbols to represent the same English letter, and a few more confusing things found. But this work only got halfway complete without a full alphabet representation on the chalkboard. So I'm having to put this project on a back shelf until a need arises, and take an aspirin for my headache.
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

Translating Goa'uld Communication

(am wondering if this was a message from Bra'tac to StarGate Command, after hearing from Jack O'Neil at the conference?)

(Current "corrected" Translation):
"The Constitution to the Revolution
was virtually endless. Roses are red violets are
blue. One beer two beer I love you."

I'll work on translating the rest tomorrow evening.. wanted to put this up with what was done.

(2 days later.. and a couple burritos)

(Current "corrected" Translation):

"The Constitution to the Revolution
was virtually endless. Roses are red violets are
blue. One beer two beer I love you.
This is how the wheels on the bus
go round and round and round round a
round and the system lords
want to have some kind of
meeting in which they will take
their phaser guns and blow all"

My thoughts if Bra'tac wrote this, that Goa'uld system lords don't seem to really invest much into public education. So perhaps that's on par with how our own medieval history went. Ruling despots who couldn't govern themselves out of a brown paper bag (perhaps I'm bias on the importance of education, so don't mind me).

The complete communique, grammatical errors and all. is as follows:

Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

The Four Races
(of which the Asgard alphabet was the more difficult)

(Except for Ancient which is widely known, this record of alien languages found on the internet is a fan made production, in my opinion)

(Corrected Passage on Nox script): "..Make Things Disappear".

The Nox was pretty straightforward to translate even through theirs were the most wierd alphabet. It's been my long held belief/philosophy that the actual graphical representation that a culture chooses to use as an extension of their identity and language.. can be thought of as a map to describe the mental geography of a people. In simpler terms to put impression to paper herein, I believe them to have an affinity to mathematics. As their lexicon consists of repeating triangle shapes with varying numbers of dots. So.. affinity for mathematics & programming, perhaps? Maybe they improved/collaborated on the subspace stability for the stargate network so dhd's could communicate updates through the network via active wormholes.

The Furlings language is quite stylized and ornate. Somewhat like Elvish, I think, maybe. Again, their lexicon was straightforward and simple to translate. Quite beautiful lexicon symbols, in my opinion. In assisting on the StarGate Project, perhaps their unique contribution was to rework the physical shape of the Gate so make it appear more beautiful while still being able to efficiently tunnel through subspace in the creation of an active outgoing wormhole. HOWEVER.. the above lexicon is not canon in my opinion but a modern fan rendering for equivalency. No SG-1 onscreen canon Furling lexicon can be translated by "furling" alphabet lexicon found commonly on the internet. But there is hope..

The Ancient's language is quite familiar to me by now to where I could (somewhat) translate it without resorting to my archaeological field guide. Not much to add except their lexicon symbols were (mostly) from their later refined alphabet lexicon which I term "Beta".

The Asgard language was the most difficult to translate as our only reference is old Norse/Viking Rune symbols. As you know, Runes are not an alphabet language but rather themselves express a "thought" (like.. "peace", "honor", "war"). I guess you could call Runes like shorthand. Anyways, I had to research different sources of Runes in order to pull together something of a workable alphabetic lexicon. Some Asgard symbols did not have a definite matching letter so I placed within parenthesis a suitable letter. So even though I had different Viking Rune papers, it was still a learning experience in trying to figure out the lexicon the Asgard intended. I would think, that I had 90% of the Runes available from historical Viking symbology to use toward this project. There ARE unique culture references in any foreign culture to which no translation can be made because there isn't a "connecting bridge" relatable context. In saying that, if anyone learns what "EDEDAT" might refer too.. please help out.

Getting passed my curfew.. going to turn in now. Before I go to sleep, I'll be shifting my mental problem solving gears to idle on the topic of transportation rings (how realistically can they be rudimentary made to work?). I tend to let my subconscious crunch numbers while I sleep, so maybe I can include a relevant thought concerning this in a future topic. I am interested in figuring out a workup for the transportation rings used by the Goa'uld so that I could apply it toward something of a personal project. The technical issue is that whereas a StarGate connects to a "familiar" point regardless of geography by utilizing a networked framework. The transportation rings instead relies heavily on geography and doesn't work well with familiar networked points. Apples & Oranges if you will. Something to pass the time, I guess. Oh, something of a not-too-personal note.. I've been (kind'ov?) somewhat helpful toward my new neighbors who movef into the area. Their group of 23, was rebuilding their village which was washed away in a flood some years back. So here and there, where I could, I helped out. Their biggest project was gardening using heirloom seeds unique to their culture. I didn't recognize anything, but still smiled. The world would be a better place if people still cared to smile, I think. As I was helping with their garden, it came up that they were all from a far removed village from Atlantis. And you know how misunderstandings often substitute for 1st impressions? I like vegetables too, but on a sandwich with something more substantial. And as you would know it, the Atlanteans are all vegetarian.. like it's their religion or something, I dunno. In visiting with their village elder, a middle aged woman with long red hair, she was grossed out when I remedied my hunger pains by eating a hamburger. In fact, I think she was quite offended. Guess the subtle art of diplomatic etiquette isn't listed among my natural talents. I don't think I'm the pale skinned shut-in type, I thought the hamburger was pretty good, although it could have used more bacon.. but I digress).

(The Next Morning)
On my way to the farm.. a realization: wonder if I was mistaken for a wraith? I know that First Impressions can be tough to pull off, especially if you have pale skin, lacking social skills around Atlanteans, preferring black clothing, natural shut-in, long flowing white hair, and a well developed appreciation for beef.. yep. Perhaps I should bring flowers next time?
Last edited by Salem Moses on Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

The Ark Of Truth

..rather the chest found at the ruins of Dakara.

Why is a planet of sand so important? Haven't read DUNE?.. Big Things often have humble beginnings.

Dakara was the first planet in the Milky Way galaxy the ancients settled. As the dust world was considered isolated from the contagion (viruses often thrive in moist temperate environments whereas Dakara was hot and dry and therefore a sterile environment), or perhaps among the 4 cityships Discenna specialized in medical research.. the ancients at Dakara worked on a cure for the viral contagion that was devastating populations. On the planet, they built a "Big Red Button" which provided a rebirth to life in this galaxy following the devastation of a great plague that had swept through. Eventually, like Atlantis, Discenna abandoned Dakara and the Milky Way for the Pegasus Galaxy. Much later the Goa'uld (who, according to one source, were themselves engineered by the Ancients to become a caretaker species for this galaxy) took possession of Dakara and genetically engineered the local human inhabitants and enslaved them through the Prim'ta ritual to better serve the growing pride of the Gau'old. After being proven as false gods by mere humans of the Tauri, the Gau'old System Lord framework collapsed under it's own weight. Then enter the Ori who took vengeful notice of the rebellious Jaffa population on Dakara who had pressed the "Big Red Button" effectively removing the crew of an Ori warship. Adria then brought the warship into orbit and devastated the planet with it's forward beam, thereby destroying the "Big Red Button".

Notice: The Big Red Button was used as a pseudoform in describing the concept of an all powerful weapon of mass destruction.. which brings up another debate on allowing your enemy free will to choose right from wrong as was agreed upon by the original Ancients debating Ori religious fanaticism and in choosing to not use the Ark of Truth. But I suppose that if you're an Alteran on a world engulfed in endless sand.. a dead enemy is safer than a repentant enemy. But this is a debate to poke at for another time

-Am still trying to fully translate this.. just need to remove the dust.
Last edited by Salem Moses on Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

Alteran Ship Props/Screens
simple translation for ancient ship panel prop used on StarGate Atlantis series

Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

~Decoding Dakara~
...The Ancient Ziggurat...

During the Replicator Plague, the Tauri sent SG-1 to Dakara to decode the ancient wall script so that the superweapon might be employed to counter the Replicator overwhelming advance on that planet. If the Replicators are able to capture the superweapon.. all the galaxy is lost.

I can fully understand Sam's frustration through using traditional Alteran "Alpha" lexicon text.
Which wasn't the problem, but rearranging the letters in decoding the message.

..then rotate the letters so the message makes sense so that access would be granted to the ancient device locked inside the ziggurat.

Last edited by Salem Moses on Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:53 am, edited 13 times in total.
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

Wraith Computer Virus That Infected Daedalus Computer System

(The official report on the artificial intelligence virus that Hermoid and McKay overcame through repeated trials at unplugging the computer)
(which happens to be my default solution to everything.. worked with the smart tv.. which I now no longer have. Also, never wash your mocha coffee stained laptop motherboard in the sink and let dry in the dish drainer. Question mark button never worked right after that incident. also other things which I don't want to bore you with)

"Artificial intelligence computer program created by the Wraith, which was implanted inside the Daedalus computer systems before the ship's initial departure from the Pegasus Galaxy. It is theorized that the virus was transmitted in a highly compressed data burst and took several weeks to unspool and become a threat. Upon the ship's return to Wraith territory the virus activated, intent on piloting the ship into enemy hands. When this happened the Wraith would have not only the crew, but interstellar hyperdrive technology and the coordinates to a new feeding ground in the Milky Way." -Gateworld.

However, when I was attempting to translate the wraith language into English.. I noticed a recurring theme. Perhaps this same repeating pattern was what alerted McKay and Hermiod to the presence of a computer virus. I first tried to translate the screens behind Hermiod but found the lettering was backwards. So after I rotated the image 180*, I began plugging over the wraith symbols. Letter after letter in successive sequence from the English alphabet began appearing on the screen. I believe that the Wraith language is based on Ancient Alteran symbols, which also reads left to right. However, the virus unspools backwards across the screen. Which was odd. But the repeating sections put me to mind of the alphabet virus (software mechanics) which would consume RAM (unoccupied short term computer memory) and eventually cause a computer crash as programs wouldn't have the available space to process (decreased available free memory)(System hangs may also occur when some programs are executed, a likely side effect of ABC-induced corruption). Also the alphabet virus would rewrite executable & command files as they are initiated (also add letters in repetition to typed words, "book" becomes "boook" -I didn't encounter any letter repetition here, but I digress). Since the wraith virus was comparable to this except for the ABC virus being memory resident. The complete shutdown of the computer system onboard Daedalus had a likely chance of actually not resolving the issue. Fortunately.. it did in this case. Perhaps this was due to the virus "floating" on the active running software having entered through a comm channel rather than being loaded directly into the computer core from an inside operative. As in real estate, so too in computer systems threat assessment.. location is everything.

(................................above image rotated backwards for ease of reading.....................................)
Anne

Post by Anne »

woaaah, where were you when I was still writing ff alll the time and did a rewrite of several ancient related episodes and waa trying to figure out all the different varieties of ancient dialects! :lol: I will copy some of this in case I need it again some day. Thank you💖
Salem Moses

Post by Salem Moses »

Translated some recurring parts of the "game" viewscreen in season 2 episode 15..

I noticed that the Lanteans did not use the letter "g" like we do as in "...ing". Instead, they simply do "...in". As in "Calculatin" instead of "Calculating".
An odd fun fact, I suppose.

Please note that the rest of the ancient text letters in the "text box" is most likely just computer identifier code for that geographic block which doesn't translate into standard English. I would think that the identifier code for each "text box" might simply alert the user that a change is taking place. Maybe the code indicates direction of movement (direction of change), speed (rate of change), quantity of units.. and estimated military strength? -Just a guess. Also I think the button choices on the side are abbreviated. Like in modern computer wargames.