The Ghost

Jack(s)

The Ghost

Post by Jack(s) »

Here is another FF. Some may have read it already. for the Rest, have fun and I would appreciate it you leave a comment.

xxx

The Ghost

Jack opened his eyes. A soft moan escaped his mouth. He felt like he just survived a boxing match with Teal`c. A glance at his watch told him that it was just after 8 am. He tried to recall the night before.

Jack started when he left the base. He was on the way home when he saw a man who looked like someone from his past. He knew it wasn't him as the man of interest was long dead. Still, his nosiness quickly had the upper hand. He followed the man into a bar. Jack knew he had never been here before. As he entered the man just vanished through the back door. He wanted to follow but was held back. Someone told him that it was only for authorized personnel. He wanted to leave when someone offered him a drink. Jack knew better not to take it as he didn't know the full-bearded man who was sitting at the bar. But the pressure of insisting to just have one drink with him kept on coming.

Finally, he gave in. One drink would not do him any harm. He downed it, thanked the man and left the bar. Outside, a few men had been waiting. For him? Of course, they all waited for him. He tried to talk them out of it as he was so not in the mood for a fight. He just had a busy day behind him. But no one would listen to him. The first punch came. Jack just ducked to the side. He felt the alcohol kicking in and his senses deteriorating. Thanks to his training he managed to stay on top of this game for a while. But even he could not handle a six to one match for too long. His limbs grew heavy and he felt how he dropped to the floor unable to speak or move. The kicks and punches he felt till the dark oblivion wrapped around him.

As he woke up, he was lying in the parking lot next to his truck. Someone must have pulled him there. The way home felt like forever and as he finally entered his house he nearly collapsed on the spot. The wall next to him just helped like always when he needed it. Struggling to his bedroom he tried to think about the event that just happened. Nothing made sense to him. At the end he gave up, let himself fall onto his bed and let the warm blackness surround him.

As he got himself out of bed and into the bathroom, he noticed a cut on his arm. The skin around was dark red with dried blood. His muscles had been aching and a look in the mirror showed a bruise on his right eye and a cut above the left brow. He sighed. How should he explain this to his CO? He didn’t know. Should he phone in sick? The Colonel was thinking better of him as to phone in because of a black eye. He cleaned himself up as good as he could and, after getting dressed, he headed towards the base.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sitting on a gurney in Dr Frasier's infirmary, he waited for the results. It was quiet and the good Doctor had asked him to stay. She was concerned about him. As he walked in earlier, she did hold her breath. Janet had seen him in worse states with his body having been abused but that was usually after an off-world mission.

“Colonel, I have your blood results.” She looked at him and saw his surprised look. “We can all be fast if necessary, you know.” She smiled but could see he was not in the mood for jokes.

“Did you find something in my blood?” he asked after a second which hung in the air for like forever.

“Yes indeed, Colonel. Your blood showed traces of Ketamine. It is a potent dissociative anaesthetic. When ingested, Ketamine can cause users to hallucinate (experience visual and auditory disturbances). Because it's an anaesthetic, it can reduce physical sensations and induce temporary paralysis, so the user is awake but unable to move his limbs or even talk.” The doctor explained.

"So, the only thing that made sense is if it was in the drink. Someone drugs me and then beat me up. Jeez, what's with that world." He paused before he continued. "That means I never had a real chance anyway." He snorted softly and jumped to the ground. His face was slightly grimacing. "Thanks, doc". With that, he left and walked to his own office. Right now, he didn't want to see anyone. He had some thinking to do.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sam worked on one of her toys as she realized the time. Irritated she looked towards the door. Her CO didn’t show up today as usual. He always made his rounds to her to say good morning and asked her what she was working on. Even she could tell he wasn’t interested at all. But today he never came. She didn’t hear anything from him which brought some concern to her and she decided to visit his office and see if he was in there.
He was probably preparing the next mission which was due in three days. She would have to wait till lunchtime as otherwise, it would probably be too obvious as to why she came to his office.

Now the Major was clock watching and noon couldn't come fast enough. As the time came, she tried to calm herself and not run to his office. A soft knock and then waiting. Nothing. Should she knock again? Yes. The Major knocked again. A bit louder than the first time. Nothing. Just as she wanted to leave, she heard a call from inside with a groan that followed. As she entered, her eyes had to adjust to the dim light which was in the room.
“Major, how can I help?” His voice sounded not like him at all.

“Uh, Colonel. I just wanted to ask if you would like to join me for lunch. But I can see that this is not a good time.” She wanted to ask him what was wrong, why he was sitting in the dark and so many more questions. But she couldn’t bring herself to do it. Instead, she turned and had her hand already on the doorknob as he spoke again.

"Thank you, Major. I am not hungry today. But enjoy your lunch." The last words sounded forced. Then he coughed.

“Sir, what is wrong with you today?” Her eyes could see better now and there was even a shadow over his face. She could see, feel and hear that he was not right at all. Sam had to listen to another coughing fit and the soft groan after.

“Sir, can I please turn on the light?” her voice sounded full of concern now.

“Why?” was the only reply she got.

"Sir, with all due respect you are not sounding like you are in full health. I know you quite well now and to me, it sounds like you have a cracked rib or two. Or it is worse, and they are already broken. Please let me help you."

"Two are broken, one is cracked. I have seen the Doctor already. So, thanks for your concern, Major. Now go and enjoy your lunch." His voice sounded softer now and he just wished to be alone again. He didn't need his 2IC fussing around him.

“Can I do anything at all for you?” Her hope died with the next words she heard from him.

"Apart from leaving me alone, no you can't do anything. Have a good day." For him, the conversation was finished.

"Very well, Sir. Have a good one yourself." With that, she left, silently closing the door. Heading towards the infirmary, she wanted some answers.

“Janet?” She poked her head through the door and looked around.

“Major, how can I help you?” She showed herself and smiled at her friend. No mission and half of SG1 still had dropped into her area.

"I have just seen Colonel O`Neill. He is sitting in an almost dark office. He said he was visiting you this morning. I know you are not allowed to say anything, but please tell me if he is going to be ok. It was very scary." Sam sat on a chair.

“He will be. He just must work something through by himself. You know how he is--stubborn like a donkey. But it’s nothing serious.” The doctor tried to reassure her.

“What’s going on? When are two broken ribs and a cracked one nothing?” Sam nearly shouted at her friend just out of frustration. She was concerned and felt left alone.

“What you are speaking of? He wasn’t here for his ribs. He was here for some tests as he wanted to know something. Sam?” Now the Doctor looked in concern. Why does the Colonel always have to be so stubborn and play the hero where it wasn’t necessary?

“I have just been to see him and asked if he would like to join me for lunch. He declined, coughing, and telling me he is fine. He told me that he has two broken ribs and a cracked one. As I asked if he wanted to get it checked out with you, he said he had seen you this morning. I could not see him in full as he was sitting in the shadow. But I know that something is going on.” The Major calmed down a bit. She knew that her friend was not to blame for the situation at all.

“I can order him back into the infirmary and make an x-ray. I think it’s a self-prognosis by the Colonel. For sure, that’s only going to be with some lovely photos.” Doctor Frasier tried to cheer her friend up.

“If you think that’s the best, then I won’t hold you back.” She released a deep sigh.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The phone rang and after a while, he picked it up. Ignoring it would not make it go away. The caller would just call again.

“O`Neill,” he answered and tried not to cough. His ribs hurt like hell.

“Colonel, I need to see you right away back in the infirmary. Something else is going on.” Without waiting for his reply, she hung up.

The minutes ran by and just as she wanted to pick up the phone again, he walked in. She realized that he was looking even paler than he was this morning.

“Colonel, I need you to lay yourself down. I need to make some more tests. So, make yourself comfortable.” With him not arguing, she could tell he wasn’t right at all.

“I am ready doc.” He mumbled softly and fell unconscious.

“Sir, what did you do to yourself? Just let’s make the scans, first shall we?” She called some of her staff and had gone through a whole lot of tests reaching from fMRI to x-rays over to more blood tests to a cat scan. The whole time he was out for the count. One of her nurses had a sedative with them in case he would wake up in the middle of a test. Janet knew it was risky, but she also knew how much the Colonel hated to be drugged. She respected him too much for this. How many times had this man saved his friends, the SGC or even the whole planet?

As she checked his test results, she could hear him stir and groan. Hurrying back to where he was.

“Favourite?” He looked at her with a wry smile

"Well, Colonel. It looks like you are going to stay with me for a few days." She looked at him and steadied herself for the whole avalanche of complaints that would be coming her way. They never came…

"Ok." was all she got from him which concerned her even more. It was time to check all the test results and see what he had as far as damage to his body.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

The General looked up from his very important file as he heard the knock. “Come,” he offered to the person on the other side.

“Doctor, what can I do for you?” He waved her in and showed her the seat on the other side of his desk.

“It’s the Colonel, Sir.” She took a deep breath before continuing.

"He came this morning to see me looking like he escaped from hell and told me that he fought last night. He insisted that he only had one drink but was sure that it was spiked. He told me that six guys had waited for him. He didn't want to fight but they didn't give him a choice. He didn't tell me that he had pain in his body. He just wanted to get his blood checked probably to reassure himself or something like that. Major Carter came later and told me that he told her that he had ribs broken and cracked. I ordered him back to make some more tests. I've got the results right here Sir." She gave him time to let it all sink in. She knew how much he respected his 2IC but also knew that he got himself more often into trouble as it was worth it to mention.

“Ok, so what is the outcome?” He looked concerned.

"The Colonel was right. He has two broken ribs and a cracked one. But, additionally, he has a severe concussion, a cut on his right arm which I stitched up, lots of bruises all over him and a squeezed kidney. Right now, I am not even sure how he managed to get home and to work this morning. I told him that he has to stay for a few days." She explained. It was good knowing she left a few minor details out. That was a thing between the Colonel and her.

“Did he say anything at all why he was having a drink? He told me last night that he was going straight home.” The General had a hard time getting his head around all this.

“No, he didn’t say anything in that matter. But his drink was spiked. The Lab had found some traces of Ketamine in his blood this morning. Now the question is, who would do this?” She left the question hanging in the air and left the office quietly.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jack came around a second time. His memory was a bit mushy and he tried to figure out why he was in the infirmary again and this time in a bed. As he looked around, he saw an IV attached to his hand and some monitors clipped to his skin. He closed his eyes just so he could wish all the stuff away when he opened them again.

No such luck. As he reopened his dark brown eyes, he was still in the same spot. But this time, he saw Sam sitting on a chair next to his bed.

“Carter” he called her softly.

“Sir, you are awake. Finally.” Sam beamed and sat herself a bit closer to the bed reaching at the same time for the call bell.

“Finally? How long have I been out?” Before the Major could answer, Doctor Frasier came in and replied for her.

“About 2 days. You had us all worried. How do you feel?” She already had her little penlight out and checked the pupil responses.

“Peachy and take that thing out of my eyes. It hurts,” he grumbled.

“Well, you are already on the mend. That’s a good sign. I’d like you to stay for another two days for observation. That is not negotiable. If you make the lives of my nurse’s hell, you must stay longer. I will poke and probe you with the biggest needles I have. Are we understood, Colonel?” She looked at him and was sure the lines had been cleared from the start.

"Yes, Ma`am. I will be a good boy." He grinned sheepishly at Sam and closed his eyes. He was still not feeling a hundred per cent.

“Sir get some rest. I’ll check on you later.” She was just about to stand up as he grabbed her hand.

“Don’t go,” he whispered.

“Sir?” she looked at him. Not sure if she had heard him right.

Sam sat herself down and took her laptop out again. She would sit with him. If this is what calms him and gives him a speedy recovery, then so be it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Daniel opened the door to Jack’s house. Janet would not have let him go home on his own - not even speaking of letting him drive. “Home sweet home… Jack?” Daniel looked where his friend had gone and found him in the kitchen staring out of his kitchen window. “You ok?”

“There was someone in the garden.” He glanced to his friend and then back out the window again.

“Who?”

“A man”

“You know him?”

"Once, a long time ago."

“And he is gone?”

“He can`t be here, he is dead. Died a long time ago.”

“But you are seeing him, right?” Daniel looked in mild concern.

“The second time now.”

“When did you see him the first time?”

“The night….” His voice trailed off. He was so not getting into this any further. This was his past; the man was dead. He had shot him himself. Right between the eyes. No one could survive a shot like this.

“OK, so you don’t want to talk about it. No problem. You Care for something to eat? I took some cooking lessons.” Daniel tried to not let Jack slip into anything where he would struggle to get him out again. He has seen the broody Jack before and didn’t like it at all.

“Not hungry Daniel. Thanks for the effort.” He still looked out the window where he saw the man. “Make yourself at home as always.” With that, he left his younger friend to his own devices.

“Ok, I would like to watch some hockey. You know which games are on?” Not directly but indirectly Daniel had asked his friend to join him. Daniel knew that Jack was as straight forward as you can get but he also knew not to push him as this would not end well.

“What was the day today?” Jack looked tired at his teammate.

“Friday,” Daniel replied and got hold of the remote control.

"Check the sports channel." He checked his watch. "Should be Canucks vs Flames on in a few minutes."

“Thanks, what are you going to do if you don’t mind me asking?” Daniel stood up and as casually as possible walked into the kitchen to get himself a
coffee.

“Going to bed. Help yourself to whatever you want.” With that, jack turned and walked to his bedroom. Daniel could hear him mumble a bit but didn’t understand what his friend said. He just hoped tomorrow would be a better day.

The game was ok, a few goals, but Daniel wasn't interested. His plan didn't work and so he had to try something else. But sleep first.
A loud noise woke him up. The young man didn't recall falling asleep, but he had heard it. Before he could check, Jack was already at the door checking everything outside and inside. When he came back in Daniel noticed that his friend only had pants on, no socks, no shirt. He looked dreadful. His skin was pale, a glance showed that Jack wasn't feeling well. His eyes looked sunken in.

“Found anything?” Daniel was concerned but didn’t show it. The last thing that he needed was to get into an argument with the older man.

“No.” was the reply and Jack walked back to his bedroom.

The rest of the night was without disturbance and as the sun came up in the sky, Daniel had already made a pot of coffee and worked on his laptop till Jack would come down.

Daniel checked his watch. It showed just after 8 am. He would wait a bit longer till he would check on his friend. The time went by and it turned to after 9. Daniel grew a bit restless and didn’t know what to do, interfere with Jack’s privacy and check on him or leave the man alone. But what if something happened to him? Daniel knew he would never get over it if something happened to his friend.

He walked upstairs and listened for any noises. Nothing. He knocked at the door. Nothing. He knocked again and warned his friend that he was coming in. What he saw shocked him to the bones.

There was his friend. Lying on top of his bed with hands and feet cuffed behind his back. Windows open. Daniel closed them. He was shivering already. Checking on his friend, he searched for his pulse. First, he could not find any. Panic arose and he searched harder. As he had found the slight drumming under his fingertips, he blew out a sigh of relief.

Looking around, he found a key made for handcuffs. He checked on Jack again, but the Colonel was still out for the count. Unlocking the metal restraints, he felt so sorry for Jack. The skin was ice cold and Daniel looked around for what he could find to get Jack warmed up. He had found a few blankets. Covering his friend with them, he made his way down to the kitchen. Warm soup and coffee should do the trick of warming him up.
When he came back up nothing had changed. Jack was wrapped in blankets and sleeping or had been unconscious. Who could tell? He put the beverages on the night table and picked up his phone. That was not funny anymore.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The phone rang and General Hammond picked it up. The more he listened to the caller on the other side, the more he grew angry. Another prank at the cost of the Colonel? He could not believe it.

As Daniel had told him he was still not with them. Once he was awake a lot of questions needed to be answered. A quick call to the Infirmary and the good Doctor was notified to get herself to Jack’s house. He had to wait for whatever the outcome was, in which state his 2IC would be found.

XXXXXXXX

The door was opened by Daniel. Doctor Frasier stepped in with a concerned look. She didn’t know much and couldn’t wait to see her patient. She would take some of his blood to check if he had been drugged again.

As she stepped into his bedroom, he began to stir. She was by his side in no time and checked his temperature. It was still far too low, and she could tell that he suffered from mild hypothermia.

“Ok, Colonel. Time to get you sorted. I am going to take some blood of yours and then check you over in general.”

“You are a little vampire, aren’t you?” Jack looked at her and a sly smile crossed his lips.

"You have no idea, Colonel. You have no idea." Janet smiled at him and worked then in complete silence. She could tell that her patient wasn't
interested in what she was doing so long she was finished sooner than later.

Not very long after, Janet packed up all her stuff again. She was finished and the Colonel was sorted. After he had a bit of soup, he would be fine again. She told him that the General wanted to speak to him. When he was feeling a bit better, he was expected to give his CO a call.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

The knock on the door made Daniel jump. He was miles away with his thoughts. Major Carter was on the other side and smiled as he opened the heavy door.

“How is he? I heard what happened. How was that possible? You have been here all night, haven’t you?” She looked at him and knew it was not his fault. But that part was still hard to accept.

"He spoke to the General already. I heard what he was telling him. But I don't know if I am allowed to tell you. Maybe you should wait for Jack to come down. He was feeling a bit better last time I checked on him, even he was still freezing himself to death. I shoved a few hot water bottles under his blankets and gave him some soup. So, he should be getting better." Daniel took a deep breath after he finished his update.

“You can tell her Daniel.” Jack was standing at the bottom of the stairs and had listened to the conversation of his friends. He smiled at the younger man and was proud of how much he really could trust him.

“Sir, how are you now? Should you not still be in bed?” Sam looked at her CO.

"Na, I am fine. Just got a bit cold. That's all. Daniel, how was the game last night?" Jack grinned at the archaeologist. He knew that his friend wasn't watching it, but he needed to have some kind of fun.

“It was ok. A few goals…” He trailed off and walked to the kitchen to get some coffee.

"Sir sit down. I will get you a blanket. If you like you can tell me or not what happened last night." Sam got some more blankets out of the cupboard and gave them to him.

"Not much to tell, just a loud bang. I checked it out. I found nothing and when I came back into my bedroom, I felt a sting. I saw nothing and then I collapsed onto the bed. He talked to me. God, I could not do anything…not move, not talk, nothing. Just listen to him. The bastard never showed his face. He cuffed me and opened all the windows. Then he left and I fell into blackness. As I woke up, the doc was here, and I was wrapped in nice warm blankets. For the rest, you must ask Daniel." He stared into the fire which was going and sending some warmth towards him.

“Sir, what is going on? Is someone after you?” Sam swallowed hard. “I mean, yes, someone is after you. I can see that, but why?”

“I don’t know!” Jack was so not going into the whole thing that he sees dead people. His mind told him that nothing of that was real. He didn’t know what was going on. But he had already had enough of it.

“If you let me, I can check up on some stuff. Maybe something comes up that can help us or you.”

"You do what you think you need to do." For Jack, the conversation was finished as he closed his eyes and shut everyone out.
Sam sighed. She watched him for a bit and could see that he still was shivering. As she walked over to Daniel, who was leaning onto the counter with his coffee mug, Sam was looking for one as well.

"What are we going to do? The Colonel isn't right by a long shot and as usual, he doesn't talk about it either." Sam sat next to Daniel and sipped on her cup.

"I don't know, Sam. I just don't know." He looked at her. "Why didn't I hear anything last night. He was lying there in a cold room with nothing but his pants on and nearly froze to death. Sam, he could have died. Right under my nose." Daniel sounded more desperate now. With his usual calming ritual, he tried to get back in control of his feelings. He wasn't a soldier but by now he had learned a lot from his teammates and friends. But his feelings? They never would be shut out.

“Stop blaming yourself. Nobody does it in the first place apart from you. The guy is a pro. If he doesn’t want to be heard, he doesn’t and there is nothing you can do about it. Daniel, you did what you could after you found him. Don’t beat yourself up. You need to be there when the Colonel needs you.” Sam placed a hand on her friend’s forearm and smiled at him.

“I guess you are right. Thank you, Sam.,” Daniel emptied the mug in one go and placed it at the sink. “I must go and do some stuff. Will be back later.”

XXXXXXXXXXX

Daniel drove around with no particular goal in mind. He just wanted to clear his thoughts. His best friend nearly died because he was not there to watch him. If he had not had the TV as loud as it was, maybe he would have heard the intruder. `Jackson, stop it. Maybe or maybe not you could have done something. No good to go over and over now. Jack is alive and, on the way, to getting better. ` he told himself and parked the car in front of a bookstore.

Just as he got out of his car a big man ran into him and without looking at each other he whispered into Daniel's ear "Jack O`Neill has to be careful. I am not done with him by a long shot and I will get to him every time I want to. I will never forget what he has done for me. Send him my greetings and get well soon wishes, will you Dr Jackson?" And with that, he was gone. Daniel turned around but could not see anyone. It was like a ghost who comes and goes as it pleases.

He picked up his phone and called Sam. “Sam, do not let Jack out of your sight. I will tell you later why.” Without waiting for her to reply, he already was on the way back to his car. He never saw the figure hiding away in the shadow and watching him.

The drive home couldn’t get over soon enough. Too much traffic and traffic lights had been in the way for the archaeologist. As he stormed into Jack’s house, he was greeted with two pair of eyes watching him.

“What’s going on Daniel?” Jack had asked him, not letting him catch his breath.

"Funny you asked that, Jack. That's exactly what I want to know. I think someone out of your past is here. He is pissed off and I will tell you that he is not done with you yet and he can get to you every time he wants to. So, do you have any clue of what is going on and, if so, care to share?" Daniel nearly spat the last words at his friend. He was now angry himself.

“It’s a Ghost, Daniel. Nothing more. Let it go.” Jack answered in a dangerously calm voice.

“Colonel, there is someone out there. Someone is going after you. You can’t let it slide like that.” Sam now felt like she should help Daniel.

"The person you are talking about is dead. The rest is classified. I can`t and I don't want to talk to you anymore over that matter. If you both have nothing else to say, then it's best to leave. Otherwise, you are both very welcome to stay as long as you please. I will go and take a shower." With that, he left the living area and headed upstairs.

"So, the Colonel has an enemy. There is a surprise. The problem is, who is it. For me, it's a very real acting Ghost. If the guy is dead, then someone must imitate him. But who?" Sam didn't ask Daniel, it was more, so she felt better and wanted to put the question into the room.

“One of us has to stay here and one has to go and speak with the General. Maybe he will come up with some ideas. I know Jack`s file is classified with lots of black on it, but maybe he knows who is after him.” Daniel toyed around with his thoughts.

“I can stay here; you go and talk to the General. You are far better with words than the rest of SG1 put together.” Sam looked at her friend and held the car keys in front of his nose.

XXXXXXXXXX

Daniel knocked on the door of the Commander of this base. He stood still till he heard the word he was waiting for. By entering the office, he saw a worried General behind his desk.

"Dr Jackson. Come on in. How are you? How is the Colonel doing? Did he say anything else to anyone of you both?" The questions came flying like arrows.

“The Colonel is doing ok. He is his usual grumpy old man self again. He says the guy is a ghost. So, we all know that Jack doesn’t believe in ghosts. I had a very one-sided conversation with a man today who told me that he isn’t finished with Jack by a long shot and he can get to him whenever and wherever he wants to. General, do you have any idea who or what could come crawling back from Jack`s past?” Daniel had sat himself down as the General had offered him a seat.

“Son, I have no idea. The Colonel’s file is highly classified, and he has done a lot of black ops. So, I don’t know. But I will pull a few strings and hope we can all shine some light on it.” He released a breath and took the phone in one hand.

Daniel saw that as a sign to leave the room and got himself up. He waved a silent goodbye and left.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sam was still sitting in the kitchen looking out the window daydreaming and didn't pay attention to who entered the kitchen area. Just as a loud sound was given, she came back to the land where she had to be right now. As she turned her face to the person in front of her, she tried hard not to melt away. A handsome Colonel with silver-grey wet hair was standing in front of her with a yellow jumper and some black sweatpants. He still had his towel in his hand and tried to dry his ears with it.

“Sir?” Sam looked at him, slowly calming herself down and hoping he didn’t see what she tried to hide.

“Major?” Jack was not in the mood for games. But he was pleased that Sam was still here and by what he could tell, she was alone.

“How was the shower?”

“Good.”

“Would you like a coffee or something else?”

“I am fine.”

“How are you doing.”

“Can we not talk about it?”

“Sorry, Sir, what would you like to do with your ghost?”

“Can we not talk about it either?”

Sam started to feel uncomfortable. “I should go, Sir. Have a nice day.” She turned to the door and had already been gone a few steps when she heard a groan. Turning back, she could see how her CO was standing there and violently shaking. His breathing was going far too fast. He didn’t say anything, nor did he move.

“Sir, what is wrong?” With one big step Sam was next to him and saw how the sweat was running down his cheeks. “Sir, you need to come with me. You need to sit down and try to take a deep breath. Calm yourself down. I am not going anywhere. We don’t have to talk. Silence is fine. Just calm down. I am here, Sir. Still here.” Sam tried to soothe him and once he sat down his breathing followed.

“Thank you, Sam.,” Was all he could manage to say.

"Quite all right Sir." She wrapped a blanket around him and sat in a chair. She was not going anywhere soon, not when he all of a sudden had a panic attack.

`The tough Colonel. Not so tough anymore` he was thinking by himself watching through the window. He nearly had him there where he wanted him. Not much more to go. He knew the kind like O`Neill. Too proud to say anything. Too proud and stubborn to accept help. So, this was going to be an easy game.

Doctor Frasier just got the results back which she took a few hours ago. What she saw left her speechless. The lab had found the compounds of the Ketamine drug again, but this time a much higher dose. If the Colonel would get another shot like this or higher, he could end up in serious trouble.

Picking the phone up she studied the paper in front of her over and over.

“General, we have more of a problem with Colonel O’Neill`s ghost than we thought at first. We need to speak.” She hung up and drew out a deep breath. Picking the phone up again she softly pleaded that the Colonel would pick up his phone.

“Colonel, thank goodness. I spoke to the General. Sir, you need to come to the base. We need to talk…. Yes, now. No, it can`t wait…. Good, then let you get driven to the base. Just be careful, both of you.” She hung up and placed her head in her hands. Why life was never easy when it came to the Colonel, she didn’t know.

Xxxxxxxx

“Major, would you care to play my driver today? I am not feeling up to driving myself and Janet just rang to tell me I have to come to the base.” Jack had finished his cup of coffee and placed the phone next to the cup. Sam looked at him and admitted that he wasn’t well at all if he asked for her help. The Colonel was as independent as a man could be and asking for her to help him must have taken him a bit.

"Sure, which car?" She would drive his truck if he insisted but was surely more comfortable with her little one.

“We can take yours. I am sure I will fit in it somehow.” He smiled and gestured with a wave of his arm to the door.

“Thank you, Colonel.” She grabbed her keys and walked to her car which was parked next to the big green monster.

Turning the key and starting the car, nothing happened. The car wouldn’t start. No lights and no sound. “Sir, I may have a flat battery,” she announced to her CO who just came out of the house.

“You may have? What does that mean?” Jack looked at her in surprise and irritation at the same time. He opened the door again and grabbed his car keys. “Are you feeling up to it to drive the truck?” He waved the keys right in front of her nose with a big smile.
The seat adjusted and getting a quick feeling to the big vehicle she is about to control a smile crossed her face. “Thank you for trusting me with your baby.”

"Do I have a choice?" He grinned and leaned back in his passenger seat holding his rips as they protested from all the movement, they received over the last hour.

Very carefully, Sam reversed the truck out of the parking lot. It didn’t take her long to get used to the big heavy machine and she liked the comfort and space in it. Driving up the mountain she enjoyed the better view as well as she sat up higher. Her CO was dozing next to her as she heard a big loud bang which brought her back to reality. Jack was sitting up as well. He saw how Sam struggled to keep his car under control. As she finally came to a standstill in the middle of the road, he told her to stay in the car. The Colonel got out and walked around.

"What is it with the flat today? We've got a flat tire," he announced, not very much amused over the whole situation. With some effort and lots of faces grimacing he got the jack and the reserve tire out; Jack didn't realize that both of them had some company in the woods.

“Sir, you need a hand?” Sam offered.

“Nah, I am fine. Will have it done in no time.” He assured her at the same time holding his leg which just shot a blazing pain through his body. Falling against his truck he steadied himself. Another pain erupted in his right shoulder and he lost control. Collapsing onto the tarmac his breathing picked up and his pulse shot up through the roof. “Sam…” he whispered before even the speaking became too much. Blood spilt on the road and Jack just gasped in pain. He never had heard a shot. Whoever this was must have used a silencer? `Bastard’ was the last thing that crossed his mind before he lost his senses.

“Colonel?” Sam looked around. She couldn’t see her CO around the car and didn’t hear a peep. Concerned, she got out and walked around. She nearly screamed as she saw him lying there. So much blood and she didn’t see it coming. She should have. She never should have allowed him to get out of the car. He’s got a killer chasing and playing with him.

She picked up the phone and called her workplace. Some SF and Medical Staff would be here in the next few minutes. The Major took her jacket off and pressed it onto his leg. The wound was heavily bleeding as if a vein was damaged. In desperation, she felt the tears coming up and wetting her eyes. She tried to stop the blood coming out of the wound while looking around to see any movement in the woods. She didn't see anything which would have helped and so she only could hope and pray that help would arrive soon.

Xxxxxxxxx

The General could not believe what his Major had just told him over the phone. Immediately, he ordered Doctor Frasier and her meds team together with two teams of SF guys to drive to the coordinates and bring them home. He was utterly disgusted by the hidden figure who was chasing his 2IC.

Xxxxxxxxx

Sam was never so happy to see the cavalry arrive as right at that moment. The two teams of highly trained Soldiers surrounded, secured and checked the area while the medical team hovered over her CO. Janet had asked her a lot of questions which she could only half answer. It happened far too fast; she didn't even know how this could happen.

“Janet, how is he doing? This is a lot in the last few days for one person to handle.” Sam looked at her friend with concern.

“He will survive. The Colonel lost a lot of blood, but you did a good job applying some pressure on it. We need to find that guy who is after him. That means that the Colonel needs to speak to us. But let us worry about that later.” The good Doctor and her staff worked fast and precisely. Jack was on a gurney in no time and on his way to the infirmary where he was safe and cared for.

“One of the guys will change the rest of the flat tire and drive it up to the base. Would you like to come with us? I am sure you would like to clean yourself up and have a nice hot coffee. I can check you over as well just to make sure that you are ok,” Janet offered in a mother hen tone.

Xxxxxxxxxx

As always, Janet worked accurately. She had informed the infirmary beforehand to prep everything for operation and now she was standing under the bright light working on one of her friends. The vital signs so far looked good and she was nearly finished. So far, the Colonel was holding his own and soon would be resting and recovering in a nice cosy infirmary bed.

It took her and the medical team a few hours to attend to the Colonel's needs. She cleaned herself up and sighed. All had gone well. Now she would have to speak to his team and the General himself.

Stepping in front of the infirmary she found SG1 as expected. This team was one of his own. So close and tightly bonded together she hadn’t seen anywhere before. But, then, if someone could see what the individual members of this team brought to the table, there was no wonder that with two soldiers, an archaeologist and an alien the bond was beyond anything anybody could imagine.

“How is he doing?” Sam and Daniel asked at the same time as the Doctor stepped in front of the doors.

“He is doing ok. The Colonel is a strong man. He will survive. But it might take him a bit longer this time as he has lost a lot of blood and the previous two attempts on his health had weakened his body beforehand. So, get some rest. Eat and sleep. You all need your strength once he is better. You all know him and how he can be.” Janet smiled and was turning around to go back and check on her patient again.

“Can we see him just for a minute or two?” Sam asked.

“Only one of you. He will not come to for the next few hours and he needs his rest. So only a minute, Sam,” Janet answered and entered her little kingdom.

Xxxxxxxxxx

Sam was sitting next to her friend’s bed. He still looked pale and his light-coloured infirmary gown didn’t help to show his taint.

“Colonel, I know you have gone through a lot lately. But, hey, you can do it. You can overcome everything and anything. We all are right here with you. You are not alone; you never will be.” Sam squeezed his hand and got up. She placed his limp hand next to hers and stroked slightly over his warm skin.

Xxxxxxxx

Daniel just got his second sandwich as he saw Sam entering the commissary. He waved her over to where Teal`c and he were sitting already.

“How is O`Neill?” Teal`c got up just in a gentleman’s manner but couldn’t or didn’t want to wait with his question.

“Hey, the Colonel is doing ok. He is a tough cookie,” Sam replied smiling and got herself some items on a tray before sitting herself down next to her friends.

“Did you speak with Janet again? Did she say something about how long he will be out and when he may come to?” Daniel fired question after question to his friend.

"Slow down. I didn't speak with her again and otherwise, I know as much as you guys do. We just need to be patient and when he is getting better, be there for him." Sam answered truthfully and took a small bite from her sandwich.

Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Around an hour later the rest of SG1 with the General and the Major from the SF teams sat in the briefing room.

“Major, did you find anything when you checked the surroundings? Any signs of who is after Colonel O`Neill?” The General opened the briefing.

"General, SG1." He cleared his throat. "After we have ended our investigation, we don't know anything from the shooter in the woods. We have found the spot from where the guy had taken the shots. But he was so careful he even took the bullet sleeves with him. There was no sign of DNA or anything else for that matter to confirm the identification of the shooter. I am sorry, General, but so far we are standing here empty-handed."

"Thank you, Major. Right now, there is nothing we can do. I will, however, place a guard in front of the infirmary for extra security. This maniac already told us that he could get to the Colonel when and where he wanted to. So, I don't think we have to take our chances." He shuffled all his papers into a yellow folder.

“I will take first watch,” Teal`c announced and, after a slight nod from the General, he stood up and made his way to the entrance door of the infirmary.

“General,” Carter nodded and left the briefing room followed by Daniel.

“So long as the Colonel doesn’t speak to us, we have to find a way to keep him safe. This maniac just uses him as his toy in an amusement park and he let him.” Sam summarized the events from the last few days.

“Why does he have to be so stubborn? He should know by now that he has friends he can trust. I know, I know. Lots of stuff Jack did before the Stargate program is classified. But it’s his life we are talking about. He is far too important that he can’t throw it all away.” Daniel bit his bottom lip as he realised that he was getting himself more and more worked up over something he had no power over.

“Daniel, you are right. We must be there for him when he is recovering and hope for the best that he will start talking. We must try our hardest to give him the feeling he isn’t alone. Now I know that’s easier said than done with him. But we all must find a way to get through to him. His life depends on it.” Sam sighed in resignation and walked slowly with Daniel next to her to the infirmary.

TBC
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
bftlovesRDA

Re: The Ghost

Post by bftlovesRDA »

This is an excellent ff! Love it! Was on the edge of my seat reading it!

AM sure I have read it before - but it's been awhile so am very happy to be reading it again. It is awesome and makes me want to know more since I have forgotten what happens next!

Thanks for posting The Ghost!
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

At first I thought I hadn't read it yet, but little by little it became clear to me that I already know it, but I'm reading it again. I love your FF :D :oops:
Poor Jack-but I love this kind of fanfiction so much.
I don't know why I like it when our hero suffers a little bit.......or more (much more) but it's the way it is! :mrgreen: :?
I'm cracy, I know :P

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

JackGywer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:33 pm At first I thought I hadn't read it yet, but little by little it became clear to me that I already know it, but I'm reading it again. I love your FF :D :oops:
I don't know why I like it when our hero suffers a little bit.......or more (much more) but it's the way it is! :mrgreen: :?
No you're not crazy -or if you are, so am I - cause I like the Jack Whump FF the best!
B
JackGywer

Post by JackGywer »

bftlovesRDA wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:17 pm
JackGywer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:33 pm At first I thought I hadn't read it yet, but little by little it became clear to me that I already know it, but I'm reading it again. I love your FF :D :oops:
No you're not crazy -or if you are, so am I - cause I like the Jack Whump FF the best!
There are so many supporters of the Whump fan fictions :lol: :lol:
We're a little bit crazy, you have to admit that! :lol: :lol:
Crazy for "THE MAN"" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://jannick0104.wixsite.com/jackgywer
https://www.instagram.com/jackgywer_fanart/?hl=de

I continue to follow my heart,
that does not have to know the mind.

J.K.
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

JackGywer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:34 pm
bftlovesRDA wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:17 pm
There are so many supporters of the Whump fan fictions :lol: :lol:
We're a little bit crazy, you have to admit that! :lol: :lol:
Crazy for "THE MAN"" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i understand where you both coming from. I love to write stuff like that. can't help it. glad when you both enjoy it reading it again...
RDA
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Poor Jack .You are heartless, ladies ... or maybe it's just because you know these stories always end up well ! ;) :)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Yes, gotta have good endings - and Jack's heroics gotta be good.......Love Jack(s)' fan fiction for those reasons and more.
B
Monika

Post by Monika »

Hi Jacky,
Thanks for another great FF. I don´t know this story yet.
I have to admit, that I am one of the "Crazy" ones.
If "our" hero suffers something ;) , then he can also emerge from history as a brilliant winner. :D :D :D
I look forward to the continuation.

From Monika with love
"As long as I always think of you and wish me somethings which I think is unattainable, there is no reason to be hurt by others."
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

thanks Monika, it seems like i can't write just romantic story's. I find it boring as I am just not the typ for it. will try to post the next part tonight after I had my beauty sleep. glad you enjoying it...
RDA