Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Juliette

Re: Stargate SG-1/Discuss episode of the week

Post by Juliette »

I kind of have a love-hate relationship with that episode.. :roll:

I love it for the reasons you all explained, but at the same time I feel so uncomfortable watching the guys get manipulated :(

They all suffer and it's not pretty to watch.. We especially see our main characters: Jack becoming a jaffa against his will and having a 'shrimp bath' (ughh!), she takes Daniel's 'code of life' without his approval.. even Hammond got hi tin the back of the head by the girls :lol:
Well technically they said yes, but under Hathor's influense, their real personnality would never have, and I think it's for the better that they don't remember anything of what happened, they would have turned crazy! Especially Jack I think :evil:

Too bad Teal'c was immune to Hathor's 'magic breath', it would have been interesting to see him act differently ^^

The girls power aspect of the episode is the best, especially at the end when they are rewarded! The look on Sam and Janet's face when they realize it! They were absolutely not expecting that after hitting the General :lol:

One other funny thing is when Sam wants to check Jack's 'wound', and he doesn't know what she's taking about and she takes a look anyway :roll: :)

Yes, opened shirt Jack is definitely a plus!! :D

Thanks B. for the screenshots ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Juliette wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 am
Yes, opened shirt Jack is definitely a plus!! :D

Thanks B. for the screenshots ;)
DEFINITELY a PLUS is right!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

And you're welcome for the screenshots. :D

Thanks for your comments = well said.
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Do we move on to the next episode, Singularity? :)
I need to watch it again, I'll come back later for my comments.

Please go ahead ;)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Singularity

I looked up 'singularity' to see what the writer wanted us to 'see':
"The condition or quality of being singular. A thing considered apart from all others."
I didn't find this episode entertaining, perhaps because it wasn't funny, or perhaps I don't see the love for children as being a weakness that should be exploited. (Those vile Gou'ald). :x

It's a little over halfway thru the first season and I wondered if it was to show the growing 'singleness' of the team's mind to have this episode. At which point would military protocol of their missions conflict over each of their human beliefs and could they unite to continue their mission?

The Gou'ald destroys all life on Hanka, including SG7, except one child. SG1 return to this planet to find the fallen diseased people and the living child. Sam and Daniel bring the child back for treatment. Sam bonds with the girl, Cassandra. :P
Jack and Teal'c stay on to image a once in a life time event, a black hole. They encounter Nirriti, a Gou'ald who is firing on them. :o
Teal'c recalls Nirriti using a person as a bomb. :o Like a Trojan horse, a device implanted in him that blew when going thru the Stargate. This evil, vile ploy has been used again with Cassandra. :x The Gou'ald have turned her into a Weapon of Mass Destruction to destroy the Stargate as she nears it. :o :x :twisted:
The rate of her deterioration and decay of the bomb is forcing General Hammond to decide what to do with her and quickly. The whole mountain and possibly beyond is going to be razed. :shock:
Col. O'Neill suggests to bring Cassandra to an abandon nuclear site for detonation. SG1 brings the unconscious child there and Sam brings her 30 floors below to leave her as instructed by Col. O'Neill.
But Cass wakes up and Sam struggles with her humanity. [Excellent struggle] She will not leave the child alone and chooses to stay. :cry:
At this point of immanent danger and destruction, Col. O'Neill orders her to "get back up here- right now!". He tells the others "You guys clear out!" Both, Teal'c and Daniel refuse. :roll: Not verbally, but expressed on their faces. All are of one heart and mind. If one teammate dies - they all do. :(
Nothing happens. :shock: :? :P
The implanted bomb, away from the gate looses it's function. In the end, Cassandra who was picked by the Gou'ald to destroy the SGC, unites the team. :D
Cassandra in need of a new home and planet, gets adopted by Dr. Fraiser. :D

I'm glad the ending to this episode takes place in a playground. A reminder that the good in our society wants to create a safe place of innocence and peace for children to grow. And,,, learn to pass that lesson on, even to other life, as puppies. :D :P :D Ruff, Ruff

Jerseycoconut :)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Great Synopsis, Jerseycoconut!

I thought the scene with Sam in the elevator was one of the most intense scenes for her in all of Stargate.

I too am glad this ended with the scene at the playground and the DOG! All ended well, I am happy to say.

B
frenchwriter

Post by frenchwriter »

I find this episode awfull because Goau'lds use children to make their abominations. These subjects are always unbearable for me.
But Sam reacts as a real mother with Cassandra. Of course, it does "hackneyed expression" ("ça fait cliché" in French) but we fall into the trap easily.

However, Jack's reaction is delicate. His heart would help Cassandra, because he loves children (remembering the little boy in "Show and Tell" or "Merrin in Learning curve" later), but he doesn't forget his rank of Colonel and he does think to protect the World of destruction.
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Thank you for your good comments on this episode, frenchwriter.

Very well said.
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Okay here I am!

This episode is one of my favorites from season one.
It's going to be hard for me to explain it, but I really enjoy watching it.
I'll try anyway ;)

The episode has a fun and lighthearted beginning. SG-1 is about to gate to a planet well known to the SGC since they have already visited it, made friends with the people living there, and even established a small base.
This is a scientific mission (a first in the show) to get the opportunity to observe a black hole during a solar eclipse.

It has several lines that really made me laugh before the team goes through the gate:
Daniel: "it's black, it's a hole.."
Jack: "It might be a black hole!" :lol:

And on the access ramp:
Jack: "It's called an accretion disc"
Daniel continues what he was saying and then stops: "what did you just say?!"
Jack: "it's just an astronomical term.."
Sam: "You didn't think the Colonel had a telescope on his roof just to look at the neighbors?"
and Jack answers, after a little blank and a look at Teal'c: "Not initially..." :lol:

Jack's explanation of a black hole to Teal'c when they are both waiting in the base is hilarious too
"Well, a black hole is this really.. big thing, well basically it's a massive... hole, out there (with gesture showing well.. out there :lol: ). And what happens is everything gets sucked into it, even light. That's why we can't see it, it just gets... sucked in..."
And the irony of Teal'c answering "I see" is funny to me too :D

I like the fact that these lines remind us that Jack has a passion for astronomy and that he is not completely lost when Carter delivers her science. He's not as good as Sam is, of course, but he is not completely ignorant either

This episode has in fact many funny lines to me. Here are some others:
- Daniel sneezing in the infirmary causes a fun reaction from Jack: "Allergies, right?" (that allergies thing disappeared quite rapidly after that ^^)
- Jack saying to Teal'c to look friendly when he approaches Cassie :lol: And for once he kind of succeeds :D

I really like General Hammond's statement:
"The decision is quite easy, the consequences are what's difficult" -- so true

And I want Jack's rule to be real!
"It's an earth rule: every kid has go to have a dog"
that scene is so cute in the playground

About the story, I think it's interesting.
- The fun of the beginning is quickly erased by the fact that everyone on the planet seems to be dead
- It's the first time we hear about Nirrti and her awful experiments. It unfortunately won't be the last..
- Sam takes the cliché role of the caring person, as Domi said, but I will add that Cassie asks for it in the beginning, by not letting Sam leave her side. And then Sam gets attached to her and of course has trouble leaving her in the underground facility (and really well played by Amanda)
This situation causes a great team moment. We can see here the real family bond that the 4 of them has. They are ready to stay and won't leave anyone behind, without even saying a word -- beautiful

I am also really glad we got to see Cassie again several times in the show and see her grow up. Changing planets must be difficult and we have here an opportunity to see her adapt to her new life (or at least she will be simply mentionned sometimes)

So great episode to me, new characters, new opportunities, new threats too..
I like this episode a lot :)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Wonderful commentary, Juliette. Thanks!
B
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

bftlovesRDA wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 am Wonderful commentary, Juliette. Thanks!
You're very welcome B!
I thought I would have a hard time explaining how I feel about this episode and not much to say, but I ended up writing a book :lol:

I am so glad we started this thread, I absolutely love it <3