What did any of you think?

CrowFlies

Re: What did any of you think?

Post by CrowFlies »

GWhite wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:38 am I can’t imagine what it must be like to feel like everyone is watching you every time you step foot out of your home, or have people want to know the details of your life. He handles it all gracefully, but no wonder he wants to maintain his privacy. He has a public face, a kind heart, and a wicked sense of humor, which he shares with his fans, and a private face, which he shares with friends and family. He has asked his fans to respect that, and we should. After all, he is a real human being and not the fictional characters he plays.
i agree completely.

i cant imagine being stared at with others snapping pictures yelling at me every time i went outside to do
something or go somewhere. many celeb types dont live in LA for that reason.

he gave all he could, now he gets privacy and his own life. good for him.
Jo56

Post by Jo56 »

Hi, everybody! Nothing to do with the precedent post but... I just wonder what Richard’s reaction is to the dismissal of Paul Watson from Sea Shepherd?
I was really surprised this morning when I read the long message of Paul on his FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=paul%20watson
https://www.facebook.com/paul.watson.1426
Life is too short not to have fun. My way of life! :D
Jo56
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Thanks for the info , Jo . I'm not on Facebook so couldn't read anything .
I found the letter Paul Watson wrote when he resigned in July ( was it on Facebook ? :? ) Anyway here it is :

"It is with great relief that as of July 27th, 2022, I have ceased my employment and cut all ties with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (USA).
Since 1977, when I founded Sea Shepherd nearly a half century ago, I have dedicated my entire life to the aggressive and determined preservation and protection of biodiversity of marine life and our ocean.
Over the last few years, I have been slowly marginalized from the organization that I created in the USA. I was removed from the Board of Directors, my advice ignored, my close associates terminated and directors that supported me were removed. I was reduced to being a paid figurehead, denied the freedom to organize campaigns and the freedom to express the strong opinions that I have held for decades, opinions and campaigns that have shaped what Sea Shepherd has become and continues to be outside the borders of the United States.
As I said in the documentary movie Watson, my role is to rock the boat, to make waves, to provoke people to think about the damage we are collectively inflicting upon diversity and interdependence of life in the ocean.
The current Board seeks to turn our vessels away from confronting illegal poachers that prey on endangered species and instead seeks to turn our fleet into non-controversial research vessels. Research has always been a part of Sea Shepherd efforts, but it has not and should not be our priority. What we have provided is a unique function: a fearless leadership to intervene against poachers on the high seas, to document and to stop illegal acts that would otherwise go unnoticed and unchallenged. Sea Shepherd has always, and must always go where others fear to go, to say the things that must be said and to tackle the obstacles fearlessly and with great resolve.
The new direction that the present Board of Sea Shepherd USA has decided upon is not a path that I can in good conscience support nor participate in. I have not changed my objectives or resolve, and I refuse to change and adopt an approach that diminishes the incredible movement that we have created over the last four and a half decades, a movement that continues to grow outside the borders of the United States.
I remain a director of Sea Shepherd Global, and I remain a supporter of Global ships, officers, and crew. Together with all other national Sea Shepherd entities, with the exception of the USA, I will continue to support our campaigns around the world utilizing our unique philosophy of aggressive non-violence and cooperation with governments and NGOs.
We are Sea Shepherd. We are direct action motivated by imagination, persistence, and courage.
My future lies with the people from around the world who have made and continue to make Sea Shepherd the most influential, passionate, and effective marine conservation movement on this planet.
Captain Paul Watson
Founder – Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Canada (1977)
Founder – Sea Shepherd Conservation Society USA (1981)"

He's 71 now I guess some think he should retire ( maybe he should ? :? ) and want to take his seat (!) . It happens all the time unfortunately power is so tempting even in ' charitable ' organizations . Anyway a page is turned . It was bound to happen but it's sad and I suppose Rick must be sad too.
Jo56

Post by Jo56 »

This is the continuity of his resignation from Sea Shepherd USA. That's why I was wondering about Rick's reaction: Here is the text.
Open Message to Sea Shepherd Supporters from Captain Paul Watson
This morning I received an email informing me that The Board of Directors of Sea Shepherd Global dismissed me from the Global Board.
This was the message:
"I am sorry to inform you that based on the conversations that we've had, and the legal issues between you and SSCS, we asked you to step down from the board. Since you have not complied with that request, the majority of the Global Board has decided that it is a conflict of interest for you to remain as a Director on the Board of Sea Shepherd Global; and has therefore reached the decision that you are no longer a Director of Sea Shepherd Global." - Alex Cornelissen
The announcement by Sea Shepherd Global yesterday of an agreement between Global and SSCS may have caught many of you by surprise. It certainly caught me by surprise. There has been a disturbing lack of transparency about the relationship between Sea Shepherd USA and Sea Shepherd Global.
It all stems from SSSC and the decision by SSCS President Pritam Singh to change the focus and the direction of Sea Shepherd in the USA. No more direct action, no more controversial campaigns and no more confrontations with poachers. In June 2022 when I said that I could not support this radical change in priorities nor could I participate in it, I was told that I was an employee and I had to do what I was told.
In response I resigned. SSCS responded by removing my picture, bio and history from the SSCS website and legally threatened me to not use the logo I designed or the name Sea Shepherd that I created. This included not being able to post pictures of myself in a Sea Shepherd shirt or with the Sea Shepherd flag. I was also told that I could not communicate with supporters nor speak with the media under threat of a lawsuit.
My official Facebook page was blocked for trademark violations because I had a picture of myself with a Sea Shepherd Shirt in front of a Sea Shepherd flag. After a month that page is still blocked to postings by myself.
SSCS made legal threats to chapter leaders and to Sea Shepherd Global.
I really don’t respond to threats, but I was patient, hoping that Sea Shepherd Global would have my back. This morning I discovered that they do not have my back.
I thought that Sea Shepherd Global would support me and I urged people to continue to support Global but under threat of lawsuits by SSCS, Alex Cornelissen, despite his serious concerns about SSCS (US) decided to make an agreement between Sea Shepherd Global and SSCS (US). Apparently, part of this agreement was to demand that Global dismiss me from the Global Board and Alex informed me of this fact this morning.
As a Global Board member, I did not receive an invitation to a Board meeting to discuss this. Alex did not call for a vote by the directors, he simply stated that the Global Board made the decision to dismiss me from the Global Board. Aside from myself, at least one other of the six directors was not notified of a meeting or notice of a vote on my dismissal. I don’t even have a vote count nor confirmation that a vote took place. I do know I was not given an opportunity to vote.
I don’t wish to attack Sea Shepherd Global. I am in 100% support of Global ship operations, crew and campaigns and these ships are doing incredibly positive interventions. I have no complaints about Alex Cornelissen or Peter Hammarstedt. What they are doing on the sea is awesome and important. The ships operating off Africa, in the Baltic, in the Mediterranean and Australia need to be doing what they are doing the way they have been doing it.
The problem lies with SSCS. They have scrapped the White Holly, the John Paul DeJoria and the Sharpie. They have sold the Brigitte Bardot and have plans to sell the Martin Sheen. They have purchased the Sharkwater against my advice and they plan to use it as a comfortable platform for scientists to do research becoming in effect an uber service for researchers.
They claim that I am too controversial and too confrontational to continue to be associated with Sea Shepherd. However, I am what I have always been and will always be and that is a proponent of direct action, aggressive non-violent tactics, vegan vessels, and a movement without fear of controversy or confrontation.
I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from continuing to support Sea Shepherd Global. The Ocean needs our ships and our campaigns.
I am simply writing this to inform everyone of a situation that is happening where Sea Shepherd entities and chapters around the world seem to be kept in the dark about what is occurring.
They can’t expect to dismiss a director and the founder of this movement and expect everyone to ignore the fact or to not question it.
They do need to supply an explanation as to why this decision was made and just what is their relationship with SSCS will be going forward, the truth without the public relations sugar coating of an illusion that both Global and SSCS are working together. Working with SSCS under its present leadership means being associated with an entity that is not what Sea Shepherd is meant to be. It will only serve to taint Global with the excessive salaries, the non-vegan ships, the aggressive marketing of merchandise and non-confrontational new direction SSCS is going.
I have established the Captain Paul Watson Foundation in the USA to continue the work I have been doing since 1977. I will support Global campaigns and I will work with any and all Sea Shepherd groups in this great movement we have created. I have no intention of retiring or surrendering to bullying and intimidation.
This is my answer to the Global Board after receiving the notice this morning that they had made the decision to dismiss me from the Global Board of Directors:
To the Board of Sea Shepherd Global
In the height of betrayal, the Global Board decided to dismiss me without a board meeting, and without a formal meeting or vote.
Is this what Sea Shepherd has become?
What next? Pritam Singh joins the Global Board. My name, picture, and legacy removed from the Global website? Or do you intend to continue to trade on my legacy despite having removed me?
All out of fear of a lawsuit. You surrendered to shameless bullying and intimidation. I hate to say this, but this Florida real estate developer now owns you, and you surrendered to him without a fight.
I will not be going quietly into the night. I intend to continue doing what I have been doing for the last 45 years. I truly never thought I would ever see this kind of treachery and betrayal in the movement that I created.
I will leave you with this quote:
“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”
James Baldwin
I am a fighter, always have been and always will be. I did not face off against the Japanese whaling fleet in the hostile remote waters of the Southern Ocean only to surrender to this nonsense. I will rebuild, regroup and I will return to the high seas to once again defend life, diversity and interdependence in the Ocean.

As far as I know, Richard is part of direction board. Does it mean for Richard that he will follow Paul Watson in the new foundation or will he still support Sea Shepherd USA and Sea Shepherd Global? Or quit everything concerning Sea Shepherd? I notice too that Paul Watson joins the management of Sea Shepherd France now, as her director remains faithful to Paul and welcomes him on her borad of directors in order to continue to work with him. (Lamya Essemlali, Présidente et Fondatrice de Sea Shepherd France. )
Jo56
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

Oh it's even worse than I thought :( Glad Sea Shepherd France remains faithful to Paul .Thank you for sharing , Jo .
Jo56

Post by Jo56 »

You're welcome, tvero80. All this is very sad :(
Jo56
Anne

Post by Anne »

Jo56 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:55 pm As far as I know, Richard is part of direction board. Does it mean for Richard that he will follow Paul Watson in the new foundation or will he still support Sea Shepherd USA and Sea Shepherd Global? Or quit everything concerning Sea Shepherd? I notice too that Paul Watson joins the management of Sea Shepherd France now, as her director remains faithful to Paul and welcomes him on her borad of directors in order to continue to work with him. (Lamya Essemlali, Présidente et Fondatrice de Sea Shepherd France. )
Rick isn't part of the direction board anymore, I think he's maybe still on the board for advisors but I'm not even sure about that I guess they asked him to step down because he isn't supporting the cause enough, isn't involved enough anymore, or something like that.

This whole thing with Paul is a mess and while I agree he's sometimes diffucult in his approach, I am torn on all this. I'm with Sea Shepard too and am not sure if I should stay Lots of changes overal I am not happy with
Rosely Teles

Post by Rosely Teles »

GWhite wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:38 am I can’t imagine what it must be like to feel like everyone is watching you every time you step foot out of your home, or have people want to know the details of your life. He handles it all gracefully, but no wonder he wants to maintain his privacy. He has a public face, a kind heart, and a wicked sense of humor, which he shares with his fans, and a private face, which he shares with friends and family. He has asked his fans to respect that, and we should. After all, he is a real human being and not the fictional characters he plays.
I'm an anonymous person, and I don't feel good when other people see when I leave the house, when someone I know, shouts my name somewhere to get my attention...imagine Rick with all the notoriety!?
Unfortunately we live in a world where people measure everything we do, say, post... social networks are harmful, people go to great lengths to hurt anyone with aggressive words and obviously no one has the obligation to put up with everything. It must be strange for someone to say they appreciate you and you don't even know who they are, or what kind of person they are. We all have secrets, our particularities and we have the right to preserve them, the professional media is cruel and the amateur media (aggressive and invasive people) are inhumane.
Even so, he remains sweet and kind, he hasn't contaminated himself, he just asks for privacy.

This is really admirable.