Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

karinedauphin

Re: Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Post by karinedauphin »

KateR wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:16 pm Not so many people with RDA regularly on their minds?

Okay, so with the movie "Cats" coming out this week, here is another funny story to share to explain why "Cats" reminds me of RDA...

When I lived in NJ, one of the easy ways to see a Broadway play was to take the community bus into the city for shows. In 1986, my friend and I, my mother and her friend, and my grandmother and HER friend all took the bus into NYC to see "Cats." We got into town a little early, and my friend hadn't had time for dinner after work, so she and I dashed down to the corner donut shop for her to get something to eat before the show. As she was picking out her donut, I glanced out the window to the magazine stand on the sidewalk, and there was RDA's face on the cover of Playgirl magazine. By 1986, I was already a big fan of RDA, and this was the first time I had ever seen an article about him anywhere, but I just didn't know how to buy a magazine with naked men and bring it back to the theater where my mother and GRANDMOTHER were waiting. So I didn't buy it. Instead, a couple of days later, I went to another shop (not TOO near my home) and bought the first article in my collection of RDA articles. :lol:

So yes, in a weird way, Cats, Playgirl, and RDA are all connected in my mind. :lol:

Kate
But, Kate... Richard was not naked in this magazine, wasn't he ??? :oops: :oops: :oops:
despite the fact that he said it very often "you have to see me naked"....
I can imagine how embarrassing it was... But now... You have something to tell and something funny in your mind

Thanks a lot for sharing this sweet memory.
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

KateR wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:16 pm Not so many people with RDA regularly on their minds?

Okay, so with the movie "Cats" coming out this week, here is another funny story to share to explain why "Cats" reminds me of RDA...

When I lived in NJ, one of the easy ways to see a Broadway play was to take the community bus into the city for shows. In 1986, my friend and I, my mother and her friend, and my grandmother and HER friend all took the bus into NYC to see "Cats." We got into town a little early, and my friend hadn't had time for dinner after work, so she and I dashed down to the corner donut shop for her to get something to eat before the show. As she was picking out her donut, I glanced out the window to the magazine stand on the sidewalk, and there was RDA's face on the cover of Playgirl magazine. By 1986, I was already a big fan of RDA, and this was the first time I had ever seen an article about him anywhere, but I just didn't know how to buy a magazine with naked men and bring it back to the theater where my mother and GRANDMOTHER were waiting. So I didn't buy it. Instead, a couple of days later, I went to another shop (not TOO near my home) and bought the first article in my collection of RDA articles. :lol:

So yes, in a weird way, Cats, Playgirl, and RDA are all connected in my mind. :lol:

Kate
Kate, thanks for sharing this memory. It really made me smile because I could imagine very vividly your longing to have the magazine and not be able to buy it with your mom and grandma near you. Great....it makes me still smiling.
I wonder if the article of the magazine is somewhere here in the archives?

Thanks again, and I hope to read some more from you.

Merry Christmas 🎄

Anja
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Hi, Anja.

Yes, that is a GREAT story by Kate.

And, yes, that Playgirl Article is in the Archives:

http://www.rdanderson.com/archives/arti ... -05-00.htm
B
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

NiLa wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:03 pm I wonder if the article of the magazine is somewhere here in the archives?
But of course ~ after all I went through to buy it. It was the first article I added to the brand new website over 22 years ago. :)

Now I have another one - why mini mince pies remind me of RDA...

RDA's very first convention was Avalon, in Wells, England, the day after Thanksgiving. I flew over to England on Thanksgiving, and I was determined to have SOME kind of Thanksgiving tradition, but try as I might, I couldn't find anything resembling turkey or stuffing or cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie anywhere. Finally, when a bunch of us RDA fans gathered in the Starbucks down the road, I discovered they were serving little mini mince pies. Normally, that's more Christmas than Thanksgiving, but it was the best I could do, so that was how I celebrated American Thanksgiving using the native elements in a Foreign Land - mini mince pies at Starbucks with RDA fans. :lol:

So yesterday, when I was shopping for either Christmas pudding or mince pies for Christmas dinner, and I found the little mini mince pies made by Walkers, I bought them and immediately flashed back to RDA fans in Wells just before his first convention.

Surely I'm not the only one who has these wacky word associations? :)

Kate
thescifichic

Post by thescifichic »

Sorry I'm new here. I've been a fan of allot of Richard's work over the years, but really came to adore how he manifested the character of Jack O'neill.

I had a selfie of myself with my cat a while ago and then saw he posted on similar with Andy and thought that was cool. Now when I see my selfie with my cat Bernie, I smile.

I go to Williamstown allot and when I see one of the Sea Shepherd ships docked there, it also reminds me of him.

Kate's post about him nicking off with trolleys is hilarious 😂 and I don't think I've laughed that much in ages . It reminds me of a time a rude family at Costco cut us off entering the store and then left their trolley there in the middle of aisle to go and eat. They put something in it to think it reserved it and left it there... lol I moved it.

Take care everyone!

Trace is xoxo
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

thescifichic wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:21 pm Sorry I'm new here. I've been a fan of allot of Richard's work over the years, but really came to adore how he manifested the character of Jack O'neill.

I had a selfie of myself with my cat a while ago and then saw he posted on similar with Andy and thought that was cool. Now when I see my selfie with my cat Bernie, I smile.

I go to Williamstown allot and when I see one of the Sea Shepherd ships docked there, it also reminds me of him.

Kate's post about him nicking off with trolleys is hilarious 😂 and I don't think I've laughed that much in ages . It reminds me of a time a rude family at Costco cut us off entering the store and then left their trolley there in the middle of aisle to go and eat. They put something in it to think it reserved it and left it there... lol I moved it.

Take care everyone!

Trace is xoxo
No need to apologise for being new here :) Welcome on board !
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

thescifichic wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:21 pm Sorry I'm new here. I've been a fan of allot of Richard's work over the years, but really came to adore how he manifested the character of Jack O'neill.

Take care everyone!

Trace is xoxo
Yes, I agree with tvero - no need to apologize for being new!!!! Glad you are here! There is a thread under "off topics" called "Are you new? Say Hello!" I hope you will find that thread and introduce yourself if you can.

Welcome and see you around the forum I hope!
B
meineyes

Post by meineyes »

I’m a MacGyver forever fan! I think of him about every day, just because, I guess...I’ve never seen anyone quite like him as an actor and as a wonderful caring person. I actually watched the entire 7 years of MacGyver this past fall for the third time.

Anyway, years ago when I was on my way home from work in my old tank of a car (Chrysler New Yorker), I pulled out of the filling station, and just as I started to roll, the driver’s side door came open. I grabbed hold and pulled it shut, but no way could I hold it shut and drive the rest of the way with one hand. The latch was broken. I pulled over. So, I thought “what would MacGyver do?” I had to keep that door shut somehow. I opened the trunk. All I had there was some laundry I had done. Found a pair of pantyhose (very stretchable you know) so I attached one end to something under the dashboard and tied the other end onto the door handle. (I do not remember how I did that, how I anchored it but it worked!) I’m sure glad I watched that show! I used to “ fix things” on my own, but I had help that time.
~Charlotte
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, It sings because it has a song. - Maya Angelou
Come, sing with me...

Charlotte Berry
karinedauphin

Post by karinedauphin »

When you are in holidays in Melbourne, Australia, and you see that....:
ergomac23

Post by ergomac23 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lol great one karine :D :D :D :D :D :D