bftlovesRDA

Re: Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Great stories, Kate.
B
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

bftlovesRDA wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:13 am Great stories, Kate.
Indeed . We really appreciate you sharing your memories with us, Kate . Thank you !
Beata

Post by Beata »

Thanks Kate for sharing your memories with all of us.

Beata
"another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities, I am a sucker for mornings" MacGyver
ergomac23

Post by ergomac23 »

i had another one today i was in town today and this guy on a motorbike went by but his motorbike was incredibly loud :shock: it just made me think of rick on an interview of jay Leno when rick explained one of his own motorbikes he had asked his mechanic to in his words "i want it chrome, black and loud " and "i want them to know i'm coming " i smile to think maybe that guy was inspired by rick because it was all 3 ..... :D
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

Nobody else has occasional random experiences or memories that bring RDA to mind?

How about one of *RDA*'s experiences that brings a random memory to mind? ;) ...

RDA called this morning (we were trying to decide if it was worth it for me to drive all the way up to NJ this weekend). During the course of the conversation, he talked more about his evening with Leo Kottke. He and Leo knew each other in college and had occasionally kept in touch over the years, at least up until the 80s. Their evening wasn't so much a fan experience with a celebrity, but rather more of a college reunion and chance to reminisce. He was enjoying the fact that Leo still remembered funny mutual incidents dating back almost 50 years ago. I suggested to RDA that he write down (or dictate) some more about that evening (or other things going on in his life), and he said he would try to put something together, but... well... you know...

Anyway, it was interesting listening to stories sort of in reverse, of experiences *RDA* has had that bring to mind *other* memories from the past. :)

Kate
Jack(s)

Post by Jack(s) »

that's so sweet. thank you so much for sharing that with us. I mean it's kinda privat and I really appreciate that you write about it.

for the other stuff. I am a sg1 geek. so every time someone says something what I relate to the series, I am in big trouble not to have a laugh flash. e.g. smooth, cliche, sweet, campers.... you all get the drift. so life is just great because I think of RDA every day through his roles. I see every day the photo from Wales and remember the time when i saw him the first time and how nice he was....
"Dogs are my favorite people !!!"
"I've got to have fun or it's not worth it."
RDA
GWhite

Post by GWhite »

Kate, your last post about RDA’s evening with Kottke did remind me of the evenings when I was in high school in the late ‘60’s. My friends and I would sit around the living room, turn out the lights, light a few candles, and listen to Dave Brubeck. We thought we were so cool. It’s a great memory.

It would be great if RDA shared some of his stories. I’ve got a few, too, and totally understand if he might not want to share. I know I’m not! :lol:

If you decide to drive to NJ, be safe.
tvero80

Post by tvero80 »

KateR wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pm Nobody else has occasional random experiences or memories that bring RDA to mind?

How about one of *RDA*'s experiences that brings a random memory to mind? ;) ...

RDA called this morning (we were trying to decide if it was worth it for me to drive all the way up to NJ this weekend). During the course of the conversation, he talked more about his evening with Leo Kottke. He and Leo knew each other in college and had occasionally kept in touch over the years, at least up until the 80s. Their evening wasn't so much a fan experience with a celebrity, but rather more of a college reunion and chance to reminisce. He was enjoying the fact that Leo still remembered funny mutual incidents dating back almost 50 years ago. I suggested to RDA that he write down (or dictate) some more about that evening (or other things going on in his life), and he said he would try to put something together, but... well... you know...

Anyway, it was interesting listening to stories sort of in reverse, of experiences *RDA* has had that bring to mind *other* memories from the past. :)

Kate
Thanks for sharing with us , Kate ! And glad you'll be able to meet RDA this weekend in "the place where the river winds through the valley"( = Parsippany ) . Have a safe trip (whatever the means of transport ) .Looking forward to your report and photos ! And more memories maybe ? :)
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

tvero80 wrote: And glad you'll be able to meet RDA this weekend in "the place where the river winds through the valley"( = Parsippany ) . Have a safe trip (whatever the means of transport ) .Looking forward to your report and photos ! And more memories maybe ? :)
I didn't say I was going to Parsippany. I hadn't planned to go originally, but when I mentioned it to RDA, he said yes, we could meet for dinner again, but he was also hoping to meet up with college friends there and wasn't sure yet what his schedule would look like. So he called yesterday to talk about whether it was worth the long drive for what might be a very short conversation. We finally decided that it made more sense to choose a time when we were both free and just have a nice long phone conversation instead, so that's the plan. So any reports or photos will have to come from whoever is there.

Kate
KateR
Site Admin

Post by KateR »

I had another "flashback" last night. Abyss was airing on the Comet cable channel, and that episode (besides being my second favorite of all time, right after Solitudes) always reminds me of the first time I watched it.

Abyss aired on July 19, 2002, and that was the day that my adventure to Headwall Canyon began. A group of 9 of us RDA fans who met online had booked the trip through Earth River, and we would be meeting the rest of the group in Vancouver to take the float plane up into the wilderness that Friday. I had gone to Vancouver a few days early to do a few more interviews for the Stargate Fan Club before we left, and when I mentioned at the studio that I was sorry to be missing Abyss, which I was very much looking forward to, the studio gave me a videotape of the episode. That night, when the other eight of us arrived in town, we all gathered in one hotel room, and borrowed a VCR from the front desk, and watched the episode together in the dark on July 18th, the day before it aired. Of course we couldn't say anything online, but we were all quite literally happy campers when we left for Headwall the next morning.

Every time that episode airs, I flash back to that dark hotel room full of people as we watched it together for the first time - and then rewound it and watched it again because it was so good! :)

Kate