What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

NiLa

Re: What do you like/not like about individual RDA movies

Post by NiLa »

Sorry, I haven't had time to write the comment on the two MacGyver movies.

So, totally late, but at last, here it is:

I like " The lost Treasure of Atlantis" a lot more than "Trail to Doomsday".

First of all, I like all the treasure hunting, riddle solving episodes in the style of "The Legend of the Holy Rose" anyway.
Second, in "The lost Treasure of Atlantis" we have exactly that constellation again. Mac gets involved (somehow against his will) into the treasure hunt, they travel a lot, dangers and villains here and there and in the end the treasure is found and it isn't gold or jewels or something like that, but books, here rolls of paper with the knowledge of the people of Atlantis. In the end the treasure is lost again (this time for good) but Mac and his friedns escape the mortal danger again and happy ending!
During the movie we get to see some smaller and some great MacGyverisms (the escape with the "rocket jeep" is in my opinion the best in the whole movie), the typical archeologist (somehow quixotic (hope it's the right word, I had to look it up with google translator) and the girl who helps to find the treasure. Total cliché but nice to watch.

Trail to Doomsday is a totally different movie IMHO. It is much darker, no MacGyverisms except in the movie's finale when he first crawls over hot pipes with makeshift protectors on hands and knees and in the very end he disarms a nuke with a tennis racket. But that's it.
The spirit of the show we love is totally lost here. IMHO it is just a thriller with RDA as MacGyver in it....but not MacGyver. I could have gladly lived without the second movie.
I have the DVDs in my collection to have it completed, but I rarely watch them. I prefer the episodes of the tv-show.

Anja ;)
Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.
MacGyver
....by doing so our world will be better each day...
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

NiLa wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:25 pm Sorry, I haven't had time to write the comment on the two MacGyver movies.

So, totally late, but at last, here it is:

I like " The lost Treasure of Atlantis" a lot more than "Trail to Doomsday".

First of all, I like all the treasure hunting, riddle solving episodes in the style of "The Legend of the Holy Rose" anyway.
Second, in "The lost Treasure of Atlantis" we have exactly that constellation again. Mac gets involved (somehow against his will) into the treasure hunt, they travel a lot, dangers and villains here and there and in the end the treasure is found and it isn't gold or jewels or something like that, but books, here rolls of paper with the knowledge of the people of Atlantis. In the end the treasure is lost again (this time for good) but Mac and his friedns escape the mortal danger again and happy ending!
During the movie we get to see some smaller and some great MacGyverisms (the escape with the "rocket jeep" is in my opinion the best in the whole movie), the typical archeologist (somehow quixotic (hope it's the right word, I had to look it up with google translator) and the girl who helps to find the treasure. Total cliché but nice to watch.

Trail to Doomsday is a totally different movie IMHO. It is much darker, no MacGyverisms except in the movie's finale when he first crawls over hot pipes with makeshift protectors on hands and knees and in the very end he disarms a nuke with a tennis racket. But that's it.
The spirit of the show we love is totally lost here. IMHO it is just a thriller with RDA as MacGyver in it....but not MacGyver. I could have gladly lived without the second movie.
I have the DVDs in my collection to have it completed, but I rarely watch them. I prefer the episodes of the tv-show.

Anja ;)
Enjoyed reading your comments, Anja. And you're not late.

Again, isn't it interesting our different takes on these movies. (You and others liked The Lost Treasure of Atlantis better than Trail to Doomsday but I was the opposite). I think I like it when Mac triumphs over tough situations....even painful ones. And I liked the first scenes where Paul is hanging on to Mac on the side of the mountain and Mac says, Nobody is going to die.....The way things looked it seemed pretty hard to believe no one was going to die but there again is Mac's heroism. I also liked the scenes with the ex=KGB (though not really) lady.....especially after Mac recovers from being gassed in the sewer = thank you Juliette for the appropriate screenshots. When Mac gets set up as a probable suspect in the murder of Tony (I think that was his name)....and Mac comes back to the ex KGB woman and says he just has to think.....it's extremely good acting because we see his exhaustion, both physical and mental. Also, I love it when he punches out exKGB lady! And I love the fact that he heroically (again) stops the nuclear destruction by figuring out how to open the nuclear device (great MacGyverism) despite being knifed in the leg.

I guess I never could overcome the extreme feelings of clausterphobia that I had while viewing Lost Treasure of Atlantis....but I did love the last scenes where Mac gets them out of the cave by going by means of the rope over the lake of fire. I think RDA probably did some of that last scene's stunt himself.

Well, we just have to agree to disagree on these two. All in all, two good movies, IMHO.

B
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

That is one aspect why I like this forum especially. Even when we are in different opinions we stay respecful to each other.

We can let different opinions stand side by side without arguing...

Thank you all for that. :)

Anja ;)
MacGyver
Anja ;)
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Agree, Anja! As you say, it's something really good about this forum that we can disagree agreeably! :D :D :D
B
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

It's time to discuss another movie of RDA's. But the only "movie" I know of that we have not already discussed would be "Continuum", right?

Do you want to discuss Continuum?
B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Of Course! :D

Will enjoy watching it again. Give a few days to watch. :D
Jerseycoconut :lol:
NiLa

Post by NiLa »

Jerseycoconut wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 pm Of Course! :D

Will enjoy watching it again. Give a few days to watch. :D
Jerseycoconut :lol:
Me too. :D

Anja ;)
MacGyver
Anja ;)
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

Here goes! :lol:

Continuum

Being a SG fan, I enjoyed seeing the whole crew, both new & old, good & bad guys, all brought together for this movie. I also enjoyed the scheme of 'changing time' and 'alternate realities'. The one thing, of time jumping from present to past, (flipping & flopping) made me pay attention to the time line. But, maybe just the reason to watch it again! ;)
Loved the music so much that I listened thru the end of the credits!

Present Day: [The initial one shot walk thru by the director is great and brings the base review alive]
The gang of General O'Neill, Teal'c, Daniel, Sam, Vala, and Col. Cameron Mitchell, are assembled for a ceremony of the Gou'ald extraction of Ba'al. This is form of punishment for crimes he has committed, death to his symbiote. 8-)
Jumped To 1939: Just before WW II, the Merchant Marine Vessel, Achilles, transports Star Gate found in Africa to America. Aboard is the Captain who knows it is top secret.
Present Day: The long and boring ceremony is interrupted when people start disappearing. Ba'al breaks out and stabs Gen. O'Neill dead. :o
Back To Past: Ba'al comes thru the gate in 1939 that is on board the ship, taking it over and killing everyone. He has been working on changing events in time.
Back To Present: The balance of the people & things that were left at the ritual are quickly disappearing. Sam, Daniel, Col. Cam were ordered by Gen. O'Neill, his last words, to get back to Earth. They dial the gate, but arrive at an unfamiliar destination. :o :shock: :?
SG1 are in a ship frozen in the Artic Circle and race to find escape before they freeze to death. Col. Mitchell blasts a hole to get out, but dislodges the ship and it sinks. Daniel gets frostbite to his leg and elects to stay, not to slow their escape.
Sam and Mitchell walk across miles of ice to find rescue. [The scenery of the Artic is beautiful] Just as they are about to give up, they are met by O'Neill who was out investigating the quake caused by the Star Gate activation. O'Neill is not their O'Neill. He believes Sam is dead astronaut, knows nothing of the Star Gate, has no sense of sarcastic humor (that we love!), is all military in Special Forces.
A submarine pops up thru the ice which they board. They find Daniel, who was picked up shortly after Sam & Mitchell left.
[There is a great editing sequence of the interrogation of the three SG1 members] SG1 knowing the timeline has been changed, wants to correct it, and pleads up the chain of command. But no one will have any of it. They fear that their lives will cease to exist. Landry orders them to be kept apart and not seek out anything to do with the Star Gate. They have to accept living this alternate life.
One Year Later: Alien aircraft arrive on Earth from Ba'al.
Parallel in Space: At this time, Ba'al is now ruler over all the System Lords. Vala (Who is known as Qetesh with a Gou'ald) is his queen, Teal'c is his 1st Prime, and Apothois is killed by him. :evil:
Ahh, but he didn't tell Qetesh of this plan. Qetesh (suspicious, ambitious, jealous, greedy & revengeful), kills Ba'al, witnessed by Teal'c. It is now Teal'c's duty, as first prime, to get revenge for Ba'al's death, and Qetesh's goal to kill Teal'c and take over Ba'al's plans to control Earth. :twisted: :twisted:
Back To Earth: SG1 fly in squadron to find the Gate at McMurdo Military Base to change time back. The Base with the Gate is destroyed. The planet is being disseminated, country by country. Russia reveals they have a second Star Gate. A dog fight ensues with the alien gliders, and Russia assists. :P In Russia at the gate, they meet Teal'c and convince him to work with Earth ("you can free the Jaffa"). Together they gate to Ba'al's 'fail safe' - which is his time machine. Sam works on solving the operation of the machine. After finding a solar flare, enabling a time jump, she dials out as Qetesh warriors arrive and the fighting ensues. Daniel is killed, :o Sam is killed, :o taking hit after hit, Teal'c is killed, :o and with Qetesh standing over him, he drops grenade, "I die free". :( At the last moment, Mitchell jumps thru the gate. :o
1929: Mitchell arrives in 1929 and positioned himself working on the Achilles, just waiting. ;)
1939: Ba'al's expression from confident ruler of all, to being shot by Mitchell (like what the hell?), thwarting Ba'al's plans are priceless. 8-)
Back To the Future: Back to the Extraction, as if nothing has happened, Ba'al is having a needle drilled into his forehead to extract the symbiote. All the people we love are alive, the timeline corrected. The boring ceremony is over, O"Neill inquires about lunch, and he's paying! :lol:

As they leave the locker room, the image of the picture on Mitchell's door has changed. Which makes you wonder, what else has changed. :shock: :o :lol:

Jerseycoconut :D Loved it!
bftlovesRDA

Post by bftlovesRDA »

Wow! Jerseycoconut = an awesome summary! Cannot add a thing to it. Just to say, the scene where the first Jack O'Neill is stabbed to death, where he says, "Go to the Gate / Go" was a tearjerker when I first saw it. Even in dying, Jack was self-sacrificing as we know he would be.

THANKS so much for your summary. :D :D :D

OH, and here is a video that includes (at the beginning of the video) that scene where Jack is dying......tearjerker for sure. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6o3FhrAPBY&t=90s
B
Jerseycoconut

Post by Jerseycoconut »

bftlovesRDA wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 pm Wow! Jerseycoconut = an awesome summary! Cannot add a thing to it. Just to say, the scene where the first Jack O'Neill is stabbed to death, where he says, "Go to the Gate / Go" was a tearjerker when I first saw it. Even in dying, Jack was self-sacrificing as we know he would be.

THANKS so much for your summary. :D :D :D

OH, and here is a video that includes (at the beginning of the video) that scene where Jack is dying......tearjerker for sure. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6o3FhrAPBY&t=90s
B,
Thank you! It was fun watching the movie. Yes, the dying scene was so sad, he was self-sacrificing. Teammate even in death.
Jerseycoconut :D