02.17 Episode 39
Airdate: February 5, 1999
P3W-924 is home to Ma'chello, an eccentric old man, and his unique inventions. One invention is a body-swapping device which is activated on an unsuspecting Daniel. Daniel finds himself in the body of a dying old man while Ma'chello, in Daniel's body, experiences Earth for the first time. O'Neill and Teal'c also fall victim to the device as their bodies are switched. When Ma'chello is finally returned to the SGC, he shows no remorse and insists the device is irreversible. SG-1 must convince him to cooperate in an elaborate reversal, even though his own fragile body won't survive.
Written by: Tor Alexander Valenza
Directed by: David Warry-Smith
Guest Starring: Teryl Rothery as Dr. Janet Fraiser, Alvin Sanders as Fred, Melanie Skehar as Waitress, Darryl Scheelar as Cop, and Michael Shanks as Ma'chello
Personality Transfer Device
- Teal'c knew Ma'chello from images many years ago. Since before Teal'c was born, Ma'chello had been a fugitive from the System Lords. One of Teal'c's first assignments as First Prime of Apophis was to hunt him. He was developing advanced technology to battle the Goa'uld. He was captured and tortured and marked to become a host, but before the implantation he killed several Jaffa and escaped.
- Ma'chello explained that he was a soldier who fought many battles. He was captured and tortured, and lost all he loved and cared for. He continued to fight for 50 years until he was betrayed by his wife who had been secretly turned into a host. Two billion of his people died rather than turn him over to the Goa'uld. If it were not for his refusal to surrender, several System Lords would have conquered Earth.
- Ma'chello's electronic notebook database contained schematics of his inventions with icons and notes in an alphabet that is a mixture of ancient Latin and Greek, in form similar to his native language, but in an original language code. One of his devices was a type of life support system. The personality transfer device encrypts every transference and retains a memory, making reversal impossible.
- Kelno'reem is similar to hibernation or very deep meditation. In a state of waking sleep, the subconscious mind of a Jaffa becomes one with the symbiote, which allows it to repair an illness.
- Teal'c explains that his head must be shaved.
- Daniel lives at 1152 Mainland Street.
- Summary of exchanges:
- Daniel <--> Ma'chello --> Daniel in Ma'chello & Ma'chello in Daniel
- O'Neill <--> Teal'c --> O'Neill in Teal'c & Teal'c in O'Neill
- O'Neill/in Teal'c <--> Ma'chello/in Daniel --> O'Neill in Daniel & Ma'chello in Teal'c
- Teal'c/in O'Neill <--> Daniel/in Ma'chello --> Daniel in O'Neill & Teal'c in Ma'chello
- Teal'c/in Ma'chello <--> Ma'chello/in Teal'c --> Teal'c in Teal'c & Ma'chello in Ma'chello
- O'Neill/in Daniel <--> Daniel/in O'Neill --> O'Neill in O'Neill & Daniel in Daniel
- All right, describe for me the dress your sister wore last week when I took her out. [O'Neill]
I don't have a sister, Jack, and if I did, I wouldn't let you near her. [Daniel/in Ma'chello]
- Why does no one answer me? [Ma'chello/in Daniel]
'Cause you're strange. [Fred]
- It did not go well, General Hammond. [Teal'c/in O'Neill]
Ya think?? [O'Neill/in Teal'c]
- We wish to feast "on me". [Ma'chello/in Daniel]
- All good things come to an end, Ma'chello. [Fred]
Oh, no, my friend. Only evil things must come to an end. For good things such as ourselves, it is possible to go on forever. [Ma'chello/in Daniel]
- It's nice to know you don't just like me for my looks. [Daniel/in Ma'chello]
- How do you feel, physically? [Carter]
Peachy. [O'Neill/in Daniel]
- Shave my head?!?! Eeezh... [O'Neill]
- Ya think?: 1
- Sweet: 1
- O'Neill calls Daniel "Danny Boy": 1
- O'Neill and Teal'c: switched bodies
- O'Neill: while in Teal'c's body, suffered an illness requiring kelno'reem for the symbiote to repair.
- Daniel: while in Ma'chello's body, entered a coma, suffering from acute pulmonary damage, dying of old age