02.10 Episode 32
Airdate: September 25, 1998
The cities of BP6-3Q1 are deserted except for giant insects which attack SG-1 and sting Teal'c. Back on Earth, Teal'c begins a horrifying metamorphosis as the insect venom begins transforming his DNA into its own. Colonel Maybourne arrives to take custody of Teal'c, seeing the potential for biological weapons in the venom. However, Teal'c escapes and, befriended by young Ally, hides out on the streets of the city. Meanwhile the rest of SG-1 returns to the planet to retrieve another insect for study as they frantically work to find an antidote and to find Teal'c before Maybourne does.
Written by: Robert C. Cooper
Directed by: David Warry-Smith
Guest Starring: Teryl Rothery as Dr. Janet Fraiser, Tom McBeath as Colonel Maybourne, Scott Hylands as Dr. Timothy Harlow, Colleen Rennison as Ally, Alonso Oyarzun as Punk Leader, Richard Leacock as Sergeant, Laara Sadiq as Female Technician
- The original inhabitants of the planet were human, possibly from Earth, and with a level of technology similar to Earth, but they were wiped out by the alien insect.
- Carter worked with Dr. Timothy Harlow, one of the world's top geneticists, when she was at the Pentagon.
- Remote Access Code for SG-1: 7062957 0282002
- The venom from the insect transforms the DNA of the victim, causing a metamorphosis into numerous new insects through equal matter conversion. Each human would become approximately ten new insects, causing swarms in the millions in six to eight weeks.
- The metamorphosis was reversed using experimental RNA inhibitors in conjunction with the symbiote's natural healing abilities.
- Teal'c's symbiote was kept alive by synthesizing the environment of his pouch, including temperature, nutrition, and a low level electrical current from D-cell batteries.
- Maybourne ordered the insect and all related research transferred to the Area 51 facility. However, following Teal'c's recovery, the insect will be involved in an unfortunate lab accident for which Dr. Harlow will take full responsibility.
- He saved your smarmy ass, and everyone else on this planet. Does that count for anything in your world? [O'Neill]
- General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man. [O'Neill]
- Carter, there are bugs on that planet. Big, huge, ugly, honkin' bugs! [O'Neill]
- This is still my responsibility. [Maybourne]
Oh, I'm holding you responsible, Maybourne, don't you fret. [O'Neill]
- Striking an officer is a quick way to a court martial. [Maybourne]
I'm not gonna hit you, Maybourne. I'm gonna shoot you. [O'Neill]
- The skin is cut with an orak knife, and pure molten gold is poured into the wound. [Teal'c]
Ow, man, don't that hurt when they do that? [Punk leader]
- What's in it for me? [Ally]
Peanuts and caramel. [Teal'c]
- Don't sweat it. [Ally]
I can not prevent it. [Teal'c]
- Listen, you're a sitting duck down here. [Ally]
And ducks are bad? [Teal'c]
Uh... the sitting kind are. [Ally]
- It's too bad you can't zap it with those paddles, like they do on ER... [O'Neill]
- Well, I guess my work here is done. [O'Neill]
- I should have shot him. [O'Neill]
- To show you my gratitude, I have brought you a new weapon, one with increased range and firepower. [Teal'c]
- Guess we shouldn't have loaded it. [Daniel]
How else would she defend herself? [Teal'c]
- For crying out loud: 1
- Kids: 1
- Teal'c saved by his symbiote: delayed the metamorphosis and reversed the process in conjunction with RNA inhibitors
- Teal'c: stung by an alien insect and began a metamorphosis
- Popular Culture References:
- The Twilight Zone
- Witness if you will... a ghost town.
- The Godfather
- Let's say you owe me one, like in the Godfather.
- James Bond
- All that top secret James Bond stuff.
- The Fugitive
- It's too bad you can't zap it with those paddles, like they do on ER...