02.06 Episode 28
Airdate: July 31, 1998
Since Thor's Hammer was destroyed, Cimmeria has been vulnerable to the Goa'uld, and now it is under attack by the ruthless System Lord Heru'ur. SG-1 offers assistance, but they are no match for the Jaffa armies. Seeking help, Carter, Daniel, and Gairwyn go in search of the legendary Hall of Thor's Might, but instead of weapons, they find a series of tests they must pass. Help comes in an unexpected form when they solve the riddle of the runes, and for the first time they meet face to face with the Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet, Thor himself.
Written by: Katharyn Powers
Directed by: William Gereghty
Guest Starring: Tamsin Kelsey as Gairwyn, Andrew Kavadas as Olaf, Douglas H. Arthurs as Heru'ur, Mark Gibbon as Thor, Laara Sadiq as Technician, Michael Tiernan as Horus Warrior
Asgard Transport Beam,
Hall of Thor's Might,
- Traces of radioactive iridium from the Sagan Institute box leave a recognizable signature allowing it to be identified as having come from Cimmeria.
- Cimmeria was safe from Goa'uld attack for thousands of years until the Hammer was destroyed and the Goa'uld ("Etins") were able to return. More than half the population was killed including Gairwyn's husband and his brothers, and Kendra.
- Ragnarok: The Norse Armageddon
- The pyramids are landing pedestals for the ha'tak, Goa'uld pyramid motherships.
- Because of Jolinar, Carter retains a partial ability to use Goa'uld technology like the ribbon device. SG-1 kept Kendra's ribbon device and healing device.
- Ancient tales tell of a Hall of Thor's Might in which he placed all of his powers for protection and defense.
- Heru'ur, or Horus the Elder, is the son of Ra and of Hathor, a powerful System Lord and much feared conqueror. Horus guards serve the family of Ra.
- Jackson implies a fear of heights.
- The Riddle of the Runes:
Runes were ideographic, later representing letters and numbers. These represent:
Solution to the Riddle of the Runes:
- Thor's protective power, perhaps Thor's Hammer, and the number 3
- A dice cup or fate, and the number 14
- A horse or movement, and the number 15
- A wagon or Thor's Chariot, and the number 9
The numbers 3-14-15-9 represent 3.14159 or pi, to be depicted on the geometric circle, proving sufficient wisdom to see the Asgard in their true form.
- Thor is really the Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet, communicating from his quarters aboard the Asgard ship the Biliskner. The Asgard resemble a Roswell gray, and are a species who have visited Earth often. They are friend to all, protector of all, except the Goa'uld, with whom they are at war.
- An Asgard teacher will remain behind on Cimmeria, and the new Hammer will be adjusted to make an exception for Teal'c.
- You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive, however, we did destroy their de-Goa'ulding thing, might not they look unkindly on that? [O'Neill]
- Hey! Hey! Watch where you're pointing that thing! [O'Neill]
- Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson. They will, in fact, calm up. [Teal'c]
- This is the Hall of Might? [Daniel]
You were expecting something different? [Gairwyn]
Well, uh... maybe a hall. [Daniel]
- Wow, what a ride. [Daniel]
- I have a really bad feeling about this. [Carter]
- I don't suppose this is the best time to bring up my problem with heights. [Daniel]
- We met the real Thor. [Daniel]
Did ya, now? Nice fella? [O'Neill]
- For crying out loud: 1
- Kids: 2