THE SERPENT'S LAIR
02.01 Episode 23
Airdate: June 26, 1998
Trapped on a Goa'uld attack ship headed for Earth, SG-1 prepares to destroy it until they are joined by a second ship. As Earth braces for an attack, SG-1 joins forces with Master Bra'tac, who is also on board, and plants explosives to destroy both ships and save Earth. In the ensuing battle, Daniel is badly injured and makes his way to the stargate as the rest of the team barely escapes in death gliders before the ships explode. Earth is safe, but a space rescue from their suicide mission seems unlikely, until the shuttle Endeavor appears on the horizon. Part two of two.
Written by: Brad Wright
Directed by: Jonathan Glassner
Guest Starring: Tony Amendola as Bra'tac, Robert Wisden as Lt. Colonel Samuels, Peter Williams as Apophis, Alexis Cruz as Klorel/Skaara, Gary Jones as Technician, Laara Sadiq as Technician, Douglas H. Arthurs as Kah'l, Michael Brynjolfson as Jaffa, Phillip Mitchell as Jaffa #2, Bernie Neufeld as General's Aide
- Lt. Colonel Samuels returned to SGC by order of the Joint Chiefs, at the request of Senator Kinsey, to coordinate with the Pentagon for a pre-emptive strike.
- Goa'uld shock grenades cause extreme pain, unconsciousness and temporary blindness.
- "Goa'uld Buster" prototype weapon developed at Area 51 under Colonel Samuels and Colonel Maybourne, uses a Mark 12A warhead, enriched by naquadah brought back by an SG-5 mission, and yields in excess of 1000 megatons, to be launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base.
- Goa'uld attack vessels are equipped with defense shields capable of withstanding 1000 megaton warheads.
- Earth refugees were sent through the stargate to P3X-984 Alpha Site (Beta Site in the alternate reality)
- Among the Goa'uld, a pharoah's power is more often challenged by his sons than his enemies, a fact which Bra'tac can use to lead his wing against Apophis in Klorel's name.
- A sarcophagus can revive the dead.
- Once the Goa'uld ship was close enough to Earth, the stargate could be activated by using the Earth point of origin.
- SG-1 and the death gliders were recovered by the shuttle Endeavor.
- Bra'tac will return to Chulak.
- Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound... Nothing comes to mind. [O'Neill]
- This is turning out to be a bad day... [O'Neill]
- Carter, if someone comes in here, you... bite him in the hand. [O'Neill]
- From space, we should appear to be a vulnerable and unsuspecting world. [Samuels]
Got 'em just where you want 'em, do you, Samuels? [Hammond]
- Well, we have a number of, of… shuttles. [O'Neill/Daniel]
These... shuttles, they are a formidable craft? [Bra'tac]
Oh, yeah. Yeah. Bad day. [O'Neill]
- What are the odds of taking out a ship like this with four gliders and, maybe, a shuttle? [O'Neill]
- I think a better idea is to get the other guys to lay down their lives for their world first. [O'Neill]
- We shall have to cross that bridge when we come to it. [Bra'tac]
You know, that particular cliché doesn't... always work. [O'Neill]
- Now we die. [Bra'tac]
Well, that's a bad plan. [O'Neill]
- Space monkey. Yeah! [O'Neill]
- O'Neill: knocked unconscious and blinded by a shock grenade
- Carter: knocked unconscious and blinded by a shock grenade
- Teal'c: knocked unconscious and blinded by a shock grenade
- Daniel: knocked unconscious and blinded by a shock grenade, wounded by a staff weapon and left for dead, revived by the sarcophagus
- Popular Culture References: