01.18 Episode 18
Airdate: February 6, 1998
A Stargate malfunction separates SG-1 and sends Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter to a glacial crevasse on a barren ice planet. With O'Neill badly injured, it falls to Carter to repair the dial home device and find a way to return home. Meanwhile, the SGC launches an extensive search across the galaxy, hoping to find the planet to which the team members were sent. But their search leads to an amazing discovery. O'Neill and Carter had emerged not on a distant planet, but through a mysterious second Earth Stargate, long since forgotten, buried in the ice of Antarctica.
Written by: Brad Wright
Directed by: Martin Wood
Guest Starring: Gary Jones as Technician, Dan Shea as Sergeant Siler
- The mission to P4A-771 was aborted after coming under attack from energy weapons, possibly Goa'uld.
- Teal'c joined the rescue missions under Major Castleman of SG-3.
- O'Neill has had nine broken bones, including a skull fracture sustained in a parachuting mishap over the Iran/Iraq borders during an "unoffical" mission in the 1980's. There was no rescue, and he made it out on his own after nine days.
- Theoretical explanation of the stargate wormhole: The gate is a giant superconductor that creates an artificial wormhole that transfers an energized matter stream in one direction along an extra-dimensional conduit. A power overload, possibly from enemy fire, caused a malfuction redirecting the energy stream to the second Earth gate.
- A second stargate might be placed on a planet if the first becomes lost. Each gate would have a unique point of origin, but both would have the same six coordinates as an address and thus could not dial each other, the result being similar to a "busy signal."
- A serpent guard was found buried in the ice.
- The second Earth gate, located 50 miles outside of McMurdo Air Force Base, will be secured by SGC.
- Earth coordinates: 28-26-5-36-11-29
- Antarctica point of origin is unique.
- You wouldn't think jagged bone digging into raw nerves would hurt, but it does. [O'Neill]
- I hit the ground. Go figure. [O'Neill]
- I don't think you should move. [Carter]
Probably not, but my butt's freezing to the ground. [O'Neill]
- I think I cracked a rib, too. [O'Neill]
Why didn't you say something? [Carter]
I was afraid you'd try to put a splint on it. [O'Neill]
- I didn't know you could cook. [Carter]
I can't, but my melted ice is to die for. [O'Neill]
- It's my sidearm, I swear. [O'Neill]
- If we don't make it, I won't have any regrets. You? [Carter]
I'll regret dying. [O'Neill]
- What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask. What happens when you dial your own phone number? [Daniel to Teal'c, and to Hammond]
- Sara... [O'Neill]
I'm here, Jack. [Carter]
Cold... so cold... [O'Neill]
I know. It's all right. You can sleep now... [Carter]
- For crying out loud: 1
- Ya think?: 1
- O'Neill calls Carter "Sam": 2
- Carter calls O'Neill "Jack": 1 (speaking as Sara)
- O'Neill: fractured right tibia, 3 fractured ribs, internal bleeding, severe hypothermia, critical condition
- Carter: sprained right knee, scrapes and bruises, moderate hypothermia
- Daniel: knocked unconscious, minor concussion
- Popular Culture References:
- The Wizard of Oz
- Unless they've redecorated the gateroom, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.