01.04 Episode 4
Airdate: August 8, 1997
SG-1 visits Simarka, home to the Shavadai, descendants of the ancient Mongols of Earth. Their strict code of laws grants all women, including Captain Carter, only second-class status. SG-1 is welcomed after saving the life of Abu, son of the Shavadai chief Moughal, but Abu kidnaps Carter, hoping to offer her to rival chieftain Turghan in trade for the hand of his daughter Nya. SG-1 launches a rescue, but to gain freedom for both herself and Nya, Carter must face Turghan in hand-to-hand combat, to the death. Her victory brings a new way of life for the people of Simarka.
Written by: Katharyn Powers
Directed by: Jeff Woolnough
Guest Starring: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Turghan, Jorge Vargas as Abu, Soon-Tek Oh as Moughal, Crystal Lo as Nya, Marilyn Chin as Clanswoman
- Shavadai may be descendants of the Chagatai, a Mongol nomad tribe.
- Shavadai laws were meant to protect women from the ancient demons in legend who brought them to this place.
- SG-1 allowed tribes to believe they were from the Sea of Ogada.
- Moughal is Chieftain of the Shavadai, "People of the Steppe"
- Turghan is Chieftain of the Toughai, "People of the Forest"
- Chimakka is a Desert warlord promised in marriage to Nya.
- Carter has reached Level 3 Advanced training in hand-to-hand combat.
- On the mission to P3X-595, Carter drank something that made her take off something embarassing.
- The hell with culture. [O'Neill]
- Why is it you always think of the worst case scenario? [Daniel]
I practice. [O'Neill]
- When your back's up against the wall, and there's no tomorrow, just take it one day at a time, and remember, the bigger they are, etcetera. [O'Neill]
- Damn, guess I'm going to have to cancel that Oprah interview. [O'Neill]
What is an Oprah? [Teal'c]
- For crying out loud: 1
- O'Neill calls Carter "Samantha": 1
- Carter: minor cuts and bruises during hand-to-hand combat
- Popular Culture References: