RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Past the Bleachers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Movies and Other Roles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KateR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Past the Bleachers Reply with quote

This is how I spent my Snow Day...

I am still trying to build a workable Flash player that will host videos directly from the site. It took four different kinds of software and a lot of problem-solving and learning-as-you-go, but I think I'm getting closer to a solution.

So here is my next experiment - Past the Bleachers.

It is only the first half of the movie so far. The file is pretty big, (300MB), so I need to see how it handles traffic and buffering before I load the whole thing.

If this works for most people, then perhaps there will be more. If we get more snow... Wink

Here is my Happy New Year's gift:

http://rdanderson.com/video/index.htm

Kate

Last edited by KateR on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pamk1950

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good Kate. The only problem I encountered was not being able to adjust the volume.

Pam

She dreams of Mermaids, Motorcycles and a man that can Dance.

LIFE isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about leaning to DANCE in the rain
Star Gazer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming in perfectly well in Alaska. Thanks, Kate.
Caty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine here!
I have this movie on my harddrive already and I love it.
It's such a wonderful movie and one of my favourites at all.

Thanks Kate Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works for me. Very Happy A little slow to load but I think it depends on my laptop. Rolling Eyes

Good choice Kate, I like that movie. Well, not only that movie... Smile

Thanks for all your work.
FirstDay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Past the Bleachers Reply with quote

KateR wrote:

Here is my Happy New Year's gift:

http://rdanderson.com/video/bleachers.html

Kate

I saw the movie for the first time. Thank you!
KateR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Past the Bleachers Reply with quote

FirstDay wrote:
I saw the movie for the first time. Thank you!

Welcome. Smile

You've probably noticed that I finally started a video section on the website (still a work in progress), and I have now uploaded the complete movie (linked from the What's New box on the front page). I'll send out the announcement shortly, along with a reminder of where to send messages or donations for RDA's birthday.

According to the stats, a few hundred people have accessed it, no one has reported a problem, and the bandwidth hasn't crashed the website (yet), so that's a good sign. That means that (hopefully) I'll be able to add to it as I make my way through my VHS collection. I'm not sure if I'll be leaving all the video permanently on the site or rotating it to ease the bandwidth drain. I'll just have to experiment.

In any case, the other good news is that the Macrovision copy-protection may not be as big an issue as I had first feared. Originally I had tried to convert Ordinary Heroes, but it is copy-protected, which means my machine simply won't copy it. But I discovered yesterday that (happily) that seems to be the only one of my store-bought RDA videos that has it, so the others should copy well. I do have Ordinary Heroes that I taped off the TV when it aired, but the store-bought version will produce a better picture, so I'm working on figuring a way around that. If anyone knows how to override Macrovision, let me know.

So this is my New Year's resolution, to finally back-up my video collection before VHS becomes completely obsolete and un-playable. With any luck, I may finish before DVDs also become completely obsolete.

Kate
Caty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kate!

So there is a possibility to watch all the good stuff that never aired in Germany some day?
That's so nice of you, all of us outside the US will appreciate this so much.

Thanks again Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to it. Can't open the link of past the bleachers, but that wil come!! Know you're working on it Kate and I am patient and trying to solve the problems here!!

Wink

Lies

Anne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! And yours has so much better quality than mine. It worked ok and looked great! Thank you!
Annelies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWWWWOOOOWWW!!! SO SOON!!! Quality is perfect, THANK YOU KATE!!!! Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lies

KateR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annelies wrote:
WWWWWOOOOWWW!!! SO SOON!!! Quality is perfect, THANK YOU KATE!!!! Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

I didn't actually change anything, but according to the site statistics, the bandwidth exploded after I sent out the "Updates" announcement. Suddenly the site was drawing more than 20 times the bandwidth of a normal day. I was trying to upload a few other pages, and I couldn't even get into my own site, the traffic was so heavy and the site became so slow. So I guess it's not surprising that some people might have experienced problems.

Thankfully, the traffic didn't shut down the site, though I'm surprised I didn't get a message from the ISP.

In any case, things have leveled off a bit, so I'll keep an eye on it to see if this whole idea is going to work. It seems as if most people didn't make it through all four parts, so the high traffic might continue!

And on a happy note, I may have found a possible solution to the Macrovision problem. I've ordered a device that is supposed to correct it, so we'll see if it works the way it's supposed to.

Kate
nicolemj@otenet.gr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T H A N K Y O U Kate. We all appreciate your excellent work. The videos for Past the Bleachers, work just fine. Great movie, as all Rick's movies. It would be awesome if you could add more of your wonderful RDA video collection. We can wait patiently, as long as it takes, so take all the time you need, Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your New Year's Gift, it was such a lovely surprise, and thank you for all your hard work and efforts, and the time you put into, so we all can enjoy the MOST AMAZING SITE. We sincerely APPRECIATE IT.
Astra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Past the Bleachers Reply with quote

KateR wrote:
So this is my New Year's resolution, to finally back-up my video collection before VHS becomes completely obsolete and un-playable. With any luck, I may finish before DVDs also become completely obsolete.

Kate

That is a real problem, isn't it? I recently bought a hard disk recorder and also am wondering what to do with all my videos now.

I have all of RDA's stuff in both German and English, some on videos, some on DVDs, but to have a clickable link sounds indeed like the best solution.

It does buffer a lot for me at the moment, not sure if it is my connection or the bandwidth is still high, just wanted to let you know. Great New Year resolution!

And stay warm in all that cold and snow. Brrrr!

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/
KateR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Past the Bleachers Reply with quote

Astra wrote:
That is a real problem, isn't it? I recently bought a hard disk recorder and also am wondering what to do with all my videos now.

I haven't even made it to a hard disk DVR yet. I'm sure that will come, but in the meantime I am at least saving them on my computer hard drive.

You know, last summer when RDA and I were talking, I mentioned to him that I was trying to convert and backup my video collection before VHS became obsolete, and I said that most of the VHS tapes I still had were of him. At that he joked, "I'm sorry." Then he asked, once I finished backing up all the tapes, if DVDs would still be around. When I answered simply, "No," he got a huge laugh out of that.

He also mentioned that there were some of his movies and appearances that he had never even seen yet and asked if I had copies of them because he couldn't get them anymore. I said that I had all his movies, and he asked, "All? How many did I do?" He may end up having to eventually watch his videos off the website too! Laughing

But it's true, it's nearly impossible to keep up with the changes in technology, and I have to admit I rather resent that I paid $80 for my copy of Ordinary Heroes when it first came out, because it was so rare and hadn't aired on TV yet, and now the Macrovision prevents me from converting it to a form that can still be viewed. The device I ordered (for another $90) arrived today, so I'll be experimenting to see if this is the solution. Hopefully it will work, but it makes for a pretty expensive DVD at $170!

Astra wrote:
It does buffer a lot for me at the moment, not sure if it is my connection or the bandwidth is still high, just wanted to let you know.

It's possible that it's still the bandwidth. The high traffic has continued, and it looks like the people who watched only part 1 before are now coming back to watch parts 2-4 as well! Not to mention that several hundred new people clicked on the link for the first time, so I'm just hoping my ISP allows it to continue.

You know what I find surprising, though? Even after all this time, some of the links that still get high traffic every month are RDA's Facebook message, the Locations pages, and the Stargate glyph addresses. And the Photo Gallery, of course. It's interesting what people come looking for.

Astra wrote:
Great New Year resolution!

I've been intending to do this for years, but it's really becoming a race against time (and obsolescence). Fingers crossed that this is a resolution I can actually keep!

Astra wrote:
And stay warm in all that cold and snow. Brrrr!

Thanks! This Polar Vortex is amazing - we're breaking hundred-year-old records. A good excuse to stay indoors with a DVR! Smile

Kate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Movies and Other Roles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: