RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading? (In honor of Shortea)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: What are you reading? (In honor of Shortea) Reply with quote

Since it is National Library Week, I thought we should celebrate!

Let's list what we are currently reading or (for those who may not currently have time to be reading) our all-time favorite books.

Currently, I am reading:
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
The Working Poor: Invisible in America by David Shipler
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss
Laira100days

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Library Week Reply with quote

I just love Clive Cussler books. Right now I'm reading Sahara. Actually, I'm trying to finish it before I go to see the movie. Very Happy
Shortea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Debbie!!

I am reading John Hedgecoe's
"Photographing landscapes".
I love taking pictures.

I also just finish the book title
" Walter the farting dog".
Very funny children's book,
sorry can't remember the author
of it but it was funny. I take care
of alittle 4 year boy name Conner,
and his 3 month old little Sister Mia,
and he loves it when you read to him.
He like the book too.

I now looking for something with blues clues,
and Dora the explore to read to him.
He loves the videos of both.
Reading to kids is very fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Songbird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, kids' books! I can hardly wait until I have grandchildren to get out all my old favorites again. Some of them are:

The Monster at the End of this Book, by Jon Stone
Before I had my own kids I used to read this to my little brother and it always sent him into fits of giggles.

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Don Wood
The pictures in this book are gorgeous, and so funny!

just about anything by Bill Peet - I'm a sucker for a good rhyme.

There are about a hundred more that merit mention, but my husband has become suspicious of the typing noises and wondering why I'm not on the way to bed. Good night!

Anne
Raquel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading 'The Pillars Of The Earth' by Ken Follet. I like this book, though I don't have much time to read it. After I finish this one, I'm going to read 'The Da Vinci Code'

Also I'm reading some books for the University:
'Silas Marner' by George Elliot.
'Cándido' by Voltaire.
'Werther' by Goethe.

Smile
Anne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am usual a big Stephen King fan, but don´t like the Dark Tower series very much, so I am not reading King books at the moment.
My all favorite of him is "IT".

I loved HP a lot and looking forward to the new book.

I also loved to read a german book called "Neverending Story" from Michael Ende. Some of you might know the movie.

As I said, I am just reading fan-stories at the moment and looove them Wink
Songbird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say what I'm reading now. Debbie, I read Eats, Shoots & Leaves a couple of months ago and I loved it! It's such a useful educational tool, and yet quite humorously written. Who thought you could make punctuation so fun?

I just finished The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession, by Mark Obmascik. I'm a bit of a birdwatcher, myself, but this book made me realize I haven't even scratched the surface. This is a fascinating read, even if you're not interested in birdwatching.

I also just finshed The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, by Farley Mowat. This was revisiting an old friend, and the book was even better than I remembered. Farley Mowat is certainly a very talented writer, and he's had such an interesting life!

I'm currently in the middle of Knowing God, by J.I. Packer. Wow. There's a LOT of valuable ideas in this book.

I'm also working through an English translation of The Inferno, by Dante Alighieri. It's a book my son was reading for school. (I used to try to read everything the kids had in literature, but I find it hard to keep up.) I think The Inferno is very interesting, but I find it too depressing to read in large chunks. I'd like to read all of The Divine Comedy, though, and eventually make it through The Purgatorio and get to The Paradisio. Hopefully that will be a little more uplifting. LOL!

Raquel, what do you think of Silas Marner? My son had to read that one, too; but, based on what he said about it, I never quite got around to reading it myself.
Raquel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songbird wrote:
Raquel, what do you think of Silas Marner? My son had to read that one, too; but, based on what he said about it, I never quite got around to reading it myself.

To be honest, I don't like it so much. I still haven't finished it but... it's taking me so long Rolling Eyes I liked it at first, the beginning of the book it's ok, but now... I'm bored of it, I just want to finish it. So... it's not a book I would recommend.
HeJa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read at the moment the Stargatebook from Sabine C. Bauer "Trial by fire".
Also I`m reading the autobiography from Sting.
Of course I read also Stargate FanFiction.
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songbird wrote:
Debbie, I read Eats, Shoots & Leaves a couple of months ago and I loved it! It's such a useful educational tool, and yet quite humorously written. Who thought you could make punctuation so fun?

I love it, too. Didn't you find it reassuring to know that other people feel the same way about punctuation? I was relieved to learn that other people grit their teeth and clench their fists upon seeing poorly punctuated signs, articles, etc.

I think everyone should read The Working Poor: Invisible in America. It teaches the reader about all the ways in which poor Americans have little (if any) opportunity to climb out of debt and poverty. As Shipler points out, many politicians want you to believe that the term "working poor" is (as it ought to be) a contradiction, but, as he illustrates through several examples and skilled investigation, it is not.

Another book I found enlightening was Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich. Ehrenreich attempts to make ends meet while working as a low-wage earner. She waitresses in Florida, works as a maid on the East Coast (the exact state escapes me), and as a Wal-Mart employee in Minnesota.
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raquel wrote:
After I finish this one, I'm going to read 'The Da Vinci Code'
Smile

I feel compelled to warn you, Raquel: The Da Vinci Code sucks you in. Once you get past the first 100 pages, prepare yourself for a reading marathon! I read it in 18 hours. I went to bed at 2am, woke up early--and immediately started reading--and called in late to work so I could finish.

You'll love it.
andria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently it's the original, tho' annotated, Phantom of the Opera which is interesting. The annotations have all kinds of esoteric information, but they bug me when I'm trying to concentrate on the story, so I'm trying to ignore them until I get to the end of the chapter and then I go back and read them.

I've been on a classics kick, zipping through Pride & Prejudice and Jane Eyre, which are like comtemporary historic romance novels without the hot sex scenes, and Wuthering Heights, which I really hated. There's not one redeemable character in the whole thing.

And a bit of reality in The Worst Journey in the World, about Scott's attempt to reach the South Pole (how tragic).

Needless to say, my cross-stitching has suffered, but since I'm almost out of books, I can pick it up again soon. Unless I stop by Walden's... I have a book fetish like most women are reported to have a shoe fetish. Laughing
Songbird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love Pride and Predjudice! Has anyone seen the miniseries starring Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy? I remember when we sat down to watch the tapes we had to force our teenagers watch the first one with us. After that they were begging us to hurry up and get to each successive tape. So much fun!
Gaby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
Raquel wrote:
After I finish this one, I'm going to read 'The Da Vinci Code'
Smile

I feel compelled to warn you, Raquel: The Da Vinci Code sucks you in. Once you get past the first 100 pages, prepare yourself for a reading marathon! I read it in 18 hours. I went to bed at 2am, woke up early--and immediately started reading--and called in late to work so I could finish.

You'll love it.

Absolutely true!!! It has been one of the most fascinating books I've ever read! Just like Debbie, I started reading as soon as I couldand only stopped at about midnight. Every spare minute, I was reading the book, and looking up the pictures on the web...

Btw Angels and Demons (written by the same author) has about the same effect! Cool

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Raquel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
You'll love it.

Very Happy Thanks for the warning, Debbie. I will take it into account when I read it! Wink

Gaby wrote:
Absolutely true!!! It has been one of the most fascinating books I've ever read! Just like Debbie, I started reading as soon as I couldand only stopped at about midnight. Every spare minute, I was reading the book, and looking up the pictures on the web...
Btw Angels and Demons (written by the same author) has about the same effect! Cool

Smile Hey, now I can't wait to start reading the book! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: