RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vertigo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Gazer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Vertigo Reply with quote

I know this doesn't have anything to do with RDA (other than we all get dizzy at the thought of him. Okay, bad pun. Sorry.).

Anyway, I had my first bout of vertigo last week and ended up in the emergency room. It's mostly resolved by now, but I wondered if any of you ladies suffered from it periodically and what tricks (or drugs!) you use to keep it under control or prevent it?

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Karen
FirstDay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Star Gazer,

you don't sit in Alaska, we both know that.
It may have something to do with the weather.
When the weather is hot and muggy, then the motto is: Drink, drink, drink!
But of course, no alcohol, and not icecold. Only some rubbing alcohol on the temples, this does good. Smile
Star Gazer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, FirstDay. I appreciate it! Very Happy
BarbaraBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen, I have problems with vertigo, too. When I was a child, I would have occasional fainting spells while in church. This was back in those days when you would have to fast 3 hrs before receiving Holy Communion at Mass.
I didn't have breakfast until I came home from church. I seriously had problems with vertigo when I came home from living in Wyoming for 2 yrs at a higher altitude (8,000 ft) in 1977. I was 26. I went to an ear doctor who said that I had an inner ear imbalance. He gave me medications which I cannot remember the names but I had bad reactions with them. At one point, I tried Antivert which helps with vertigo. I got heart palpitations & stopped taking it.

I keep a medical journal for each family member. This helps in seeing a pattern for certain medical problems. I would normally have one or two spells in the spring & fall seasons. Weather is my problem. I am sensitive to the change in the atmosphere. Sometimes, I get migraine headaches when there will be a change in the weather like thunderstorms. But it is usually 2 to 3 days before the bad weather. (Also, any joint pain or pain from injuries from long ago start to act up a few days before bad weather.
When I had my uterine cancer surgery (a total hysterectomy/BSO), I was
able to tell you that it was going to rain in an half hour if I had a sharp pain
where my left ovary was. The pain was caused from my scar adhesions which I still get to this day. It was 4 yrs ago when I had the surgery.)

Sometimes, I feel off-kilter or off-balance. I would start to get irritable &
have a headache. I would go to bed earlier than usual. I will prop up a
high pillow & lay on my back. Do not lay on your sides as this will cause the world to spin. I like to have a pillow under each arm, too. My way of dealing with vertigo is to not give in. I will lay on my back which is not my
favorite sleep position & try to fall asleep. There are times when I will get
vertigo when I wake up in the morning. The spells can last 5 to 7 hrs. For me, I am sleeping some of the time. Once I am finished being dizzy, I feel exhausted for the rest of the day and usually the next day.

Sometimes I can wake up & think that I am going to have a spell and
then nothing happens. I think it is because of the way that I was sleeping.
My pillow or arm was pressing on an artery & this stops the blood from flowing properly.

My suggestion to you would be to keep a record of your vertigo spell. Write down what the weather was a few days before & after the spell, the time of
day, how you dealt with it (ER for you) & medication that you were given, if
any.

Oh, yeah, I remembered that I have positional vertigo. I try not to move my head quickly & am careful when I have to put my head down while picking up things from the ground, etc. I hate when the car has to make
a 180 degree turn when going on or off a traffic ramp. Same goes for a
parking lot with circular lanes to get out. I do not go on roller coasters,
merry-go-rounds, any Disney rides that would cause motion sickness (which I had until I was about 1Cool. Hate IMAX theatres, too.

I am going to stop rambling as my eyes are getting tired. I had wet macular degeneration when I was 48 & that is another story. Hey, I am 62, what do you expect. Laughing

If you have any questions, Karen, you can PM me. BTW, 2 of my best girlfriends also have vertigo problems.

Be well, be happy, enjoy Life!

BarbaraBoo
Star Gazer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara:

Thank you so much for your insight and recommendations. I might just take you up on your offer and PM you if I have more questions! That's very generous of you and much appreciated. It's also nice to know that I am in good company with other dizzy broads out there somewhere!

This is the reason why I like this forum so much; we can talk to each other about things relating to our lives and get feedback, advice or just a cyber-hug. Awesome!

Karen
BarbaraBoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that my ramblings were helpful to you, Karen. I did want to write the words "dizzy broads" after I wrote about my girlfriends who have vertigo.
My hubby will verify the fact that I am a dizzy broad. Laughing Laughing

Take care,
Barbara
FirstDay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested for a long time in healing stones.
At the moment I read about it again.
The Fire Opal should help at a vertigo. It is a stone which already the shamans of the Indians used.

Quote:
Der Feueropal stabilisiert den Kreislauf und bewahrt das gesamte Blutgefäßsystem vor Erschlaffung und Mangeldurchblutung.
Der Stein hilft auch bei Schwächeanfällen, Kreislaufschwäche und Schwindelanfällen, die z. B. oft schon durch Treppensteigen ausgelöst werden, können durch den Feueropal sehr gut gelindert und sogar geheilt werden.

The Fire Opal stabilizes the circulation and preserves the total blood vessel network before atony and ischaemia.
The stone also helps at qualm, circulatory insufficiency and vertigo, which for example are often triggered by climbing stairs, may very well be alleviated or even cured by the Fire Opal.

Even if you don't believe it, it's worth a try. Smile
One of the many webpages: http://www.crystalsrocksandgems.com/Healing_Crystals/Opals/index.html
Star Gazer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDay: According to that website, Fire Opals are also also useful in "stimulating sexual organs and drawing in money." I'm sold!

All kidding aside; it's an interesting notion and I enjoyed reading about it. Thanks for the tip; I might just give it a go!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: