RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frankenstorm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banlu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Frankenstorm Reply with quote

A monster storm is heading for the north eastern US! It's being dubbed "Frankenstorm" Shocked Hurricane Sandy will be getting sucked into a cold front and transforming into a different kind of beast.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/28/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html

Kate is directly in the line of fire!!!!! Surprised I hope you don't get hit as bad as they predict.

Safe thoughts for everyone in the storm's path.

I'm in NC, but far enough inland that all I'm getting is a bit of wind and rain as it passes, not much to worry about.

Take care.

banlu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very scary storm. Some forecasters are saying that it could be worse than Katrina.

My prayers and thoughts are with those in the storms path.

Pam

The one ironic thing about this storm. When we were young my sister and I always wanted to have a hurricane named after us. Her name was Sandy.

She dreams of Mermaids, Motorcycles and a man that can Dance.

LIFE isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about leaning to DANCE in the rain
banlu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamk1950 wrote:
This is a very scary storm. Some forecasters are saying that it could be worse than Katrina.

My prayers and thoughts are with those in the storms path.

Pam

The one ironic thing about this storm. When we were young my sister and I always wanted to have a hurricane named after us. Her name was Sandy.

Oh, how sad, yet kind of funny at the same time. Maybe it's better she didn't see such a bad one was bearing her name. {{{Pam}}}

banlu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my family are living in the jeopardized area Sad

I'm really scared and I hope everything will go without hurting somebody

Kate, I thinking of you too! Hope nothing bad happens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately there have been plenty warnings about this storm and it's path. Unfortunately there are those who have a tendency to ignore these warnings until it's too late.

The major electric company around Chicago has already sent over 100 workers out towards the east coast to prepare for the storm. And I've also heard a lot of paramedics are going out there too.

Let's hope they're not needed that much.

She dreams of Mermaids, Motorcycles and a man that can Dance.

LIFE isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about leaning to DANCE in the rain
Belathne

Location: Bonn, Germany / Oh for cryin' out loud, it's me again!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it won't be that bad in the threatened area. We have family in Rhode Island. I wonder what kind of feeling this is, to know that a hurricane is coming your way and you just have to wait until it hits you, after you've prepared everything for the impact as good as you could.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belathne wrote:
Hopefully it won't be that bad in the threatened area. We have family in Rhode Island. I wonder what kind of feeling this is, to know that a hurricane is coming your way and you just have to wait until it hits you, after you've prepared everything for the impact as good as you could.

You wonder if you've done enough, and watch the Weather Channel as the hurricane gets closer, listening to the trees hitting the ground until one takes out the power at 10:30pm. You had one candle lit so you wouldn't be in the complete dark when the power went, so you light the rest, turn on the radio to listen to the TV station which is simulcasting, and walk around the house off and on looking out the windows at the trees lashing in the wind by the light of your flashlight. You go out on the porch for the 15 minutes of calm as the eye passes over and are amazed at the size of the branches on the ground, then head back in and watch out the windows again and be glad it's half over. Then you finally go to sleep about 4 am on a mattress in the hall on the side of the house away from the big tree in case it decides to come dowm. Then wake up at 6 to daylight and complete calm, put on your shoes, and walk the neighborhood all agog at all the big trees down - the one taking out the side of a neighbors two-story house,-the three blocking the roads from all directions and the ones in your yard that didn't hit your house. And be glad you don't live where it floods.

A couple of candle tips.

- put an old pie tin or aluminum foil under a candle to catch the drips. If it burns down, or is a short one and falls over, it won't touch anything that could catch fire.

- put a candle on the bottom of your bathtub/shower (away from the curtain, if you have one). You'll always have light when you need to use the loo, and if it falls over or burns down, again, nothing to catch fire. I use a fat pillar candle, since they are more stable.

banlu

Location: Bonn, Germany / Oh for cryin' out loud, it's me again!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there's someone with hurricane experience, I guess.
Oh my, am I lucky that I live in a country with no terrible weather phenomenas like this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belathne wrote:
Oh, there's someone with hurricane experience, I guess.
Oh my, am I lucky that I live in a country with no terrible weather phenomenas like this.

::nods::

And I live over 100 miles inland.

banlu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im watching the livestream of our local network. Shown location is the 1st Avenue of New York - at the moment it seems to be calm there for my eyes. The storm will hit you soon. My prayers and my thoughts are with you. I hope, Sandy will not hit you all that hard in that area. Good Luck! Confused
ArianeH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my thoughts to all who're in this big storm around NYC and eastern coast Sad I hope that the storm will pass away from you Rolling Eyes Hug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Kate made it through ok. I have family and friends on the east coast. I am sure my family is ok maybe a power outage. I will call my dad tomorrow and make sure.

I have never been in a hurricane, but in plenty of snow storms growing up. We have had some nasty wind storms here in Oregon. But they don't happen too often.

I think the worse was a huge windstorm that knocked out our power for about 10 hours,luckily we had a gas stove so we could still cook.

Totally unrelated twice Jay and I decided to take a road trip to Reno and got caught in the pass once. Couldn't go forward or back just stuck in the middle for about 9 hours and the snow came down and blew like crazy. Did the same thing a few years later but this time we were stuck in Yreka CA. We went to this really old movie theater and saw a Harry Potter movie.

This is why I am reluctant to try to drive to LA for the QTF event. Our car sucks in snow and I would have Zoe with me and I can't risk it. If I was alone I would maybe make it an adventure.
Gerda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts and heart goes out to everyone who is and was in the middle of the monsterstrom Sandy. I read this morning that 45 till 48 poeple have lost there lifes because of this storm.
I sure hope that KateR is ok and safe.

Seen video's and pictures and its not a nice things to see. So much damgae and all the people who lost everything and others lost their beloved ones Crying or Very sad

We did have weather change here as well and some of it has to do with this Sandy.

Its climate change and that is going to happen more often and will get worser as well.
I think everywhere on this planet will have the affects of this climate change and will get more and more,because its spreading out.
We live not far from the sea and I am not thinking oh it will never happen hear,because we cant say this. We all have to be prepared that things happen also there were we dont expect it will happen.
But there's nothing we can do about it.
Dykes must be strong and build stronger and better,but mother nature is so much stronger then we are. Its scary sometimes.

I do hope everyone is safe and also their familys.
So many damage is done by this monsterstorm,and subway in NY is all under water.
Power lines exploded and it will take weeks before everything works normal again. It will cost much to get it all clean and done again.
My prayers goes out to all those people in the US who were in the middle of this hurricane.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope, they are all soon back on this forum.

Its a desaster, what Sandy left behind. Looks like a very realistic war or desaster movie. It hurts to know, that it is real, people died and the damages are enormous.
KateR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky. No flood or wind damage to my home, but there is destruction everywhere. I have been without power since Monday, and it's not likely to come back for another week, with temperatures near freezing.

Right now I'm at a local municipal center with a generator, one of the few places to get warm and charge your phone.

Pray for those who lost much more than I did. In a way it's a blessing not having TV and not seeing the images. My only contact with the outside world has been a battery-powered radio.

Kate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: