RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Times Change

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> MacGyver
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KateR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Times Change Reply with quote

I'm bringing my post from the "Nostalgia" thread over here so that anyone interested can continue it without changing the original topic. Smile

Quote:
Two things that Astra mentioned in her fun story:

Astra wrote:
I grew up in a part of Eastern Germany where we couldn't watch TV from Western Germany

and

Astra wrote:
It's really sad how much the world has changed in those past years

...reminded me of a topic we talked about in chat - how much the world has changed since MacGyver first began.

When the show began, we were still in the middle of the Cold War, and the "enemy" was more often than not from the Soviet Block. After 1989, suddenly the world changed (I'm still fascinated by stories from people in Eastern Europe who lived through that change) and the "enemy" began coming from Third World countries and urban criminals.

That's just one big change that the show saw, (besides RDA's hair Laughing ), but think also of how the stories themselves would be so different today from what they were 27 years ago, even just with the impact of technology.

For example, were it written today, the Phoenix Under Siege episode would be completely different. Otherwise, Mac would just whip out his cell phone and call for help. Wink

It really is rather nostalgic, thinking back to that simpler time. How many other examples can you think of that would have happened so differently if they had happened today?

It was also suggested that we could try a group rewatch of episodes, in keeping with the nostalgia theme. Smile

Kate
banlu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Times Change Reply with quote

KateR wrote:

For example, were it written today, the Phoenix Under Siege episode would be completely different. Otherwise, Mac would just whip out his cell phone and call for help. Wink

They couldn't even have done Phoenix Under Siege in the 8th season, if there had been one. For those familiar with the X-Files, just think how much Mulder and Scully used their cell phones - and that show started in 1993! Sure, Mac was out in the boonies often enough to be able to work in no reception believably during the 1990's, but not in a big city. And today, with GPS, internet access, and more apps than you can shake a stick at on smart phones, along with those solar chargers, Mac would never be out of touch - unless he wanted too. And I'm thinking today's Mac would unplug as often as he could.

So, to get Mac in a situation where he couldn't just call for help, he could be hiking phoneless in the back country, or could get it wet or damaged, or simply have the phone dying because he forgot to charge it, or be de-phoned by bad guys . Hmmm - if the bad guys were devious enough, they could block cell reception in their secret hideout/arsenal/lab of doom.

But even if Mac could have called for help when trouble started, there are plenty of situations where it would be far enough away he'd still have to defeat the bad guys on his own.

So in that way, MacGyver could still be done.

banlu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I have a mental image of cell phones being the undoing of many a bad guy, because they can't stop texting long enough to keep an eye on Mac?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> MacGyver All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: