RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couldn't find the thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Stargate SG-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMCStar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Couldn't find the thread Reply with quote

Hi all! Missed you all!

Was watching the episode Fallout, and was surprised Jack got away with what I would call a mild swear word. Hehe, I've led a sheltered life lol! I even had to look up quotes as I thought I hadn't heard right.

While re watching SG1 I really liked jonas this time round and thought Corin was a very good actor. Shame he couldn't have stayed in the series.

AMCStar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn't find the thread Reply with quote

i don't remember fallout, i have to rewatch it in order to make a comment..
but about corrin, i agree. i've written it somewhere before; despite my sympathy to daniel jackson, i did not miss him in 6th season (it was 6, right?) because jonas definitely filled his character perfectly, did not try to copy shanks, he was a peaceful and smart member of the team.. i believe he is a great actor as shanks is..and definitely attractive with those cute dimples.. Wink

Belathne

Location: Bonn, Germany / Oh for cryin' out loud, it's me again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also didn't miss Daniel in the 6th season. Jonas was a great part of the team and the story line was coherent. I've never seen him as a substitute for Daniel Jackson.
Great picture xena.

Concerning Fallout - sorry, I've got not much memory, because that was an episode with not much Jack in it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this little sequence is what the OP is referring to:

Quote:
O'Neill: You folks are done
Dreylock: I don't understand.
O'Neill: Well, you see, we actually like the Medronans. They're nice people. And we've decided there is no way we would subject them to the likes of you. Deal's off, you're toast.
Tarthus: General?
Hammond: Colonel O'Neill is right. You can stay until we hear back from Jonas and Major Carter.
O'Neill: (smiling) That's what you get for dicking around.

I, too, liked Jonas. I didn't miss Daniel. Sadly, the character Daniel wasn't always very interesting and I can understand why Michael Shanks wanted to do something else for a while. It's a pity Jonas couldn't stay in the series though. He was a nice addition to the team as he was a completely different character. Unlike Mitchell, who was clearly a replacement of O'Neill and written/acted as such. I never liked Mitchell because he was just a very bad copy instead of a whole new character.
xena

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infact daniel was a very interesting character. the writers could have done more interesting things about him. intellectual, smart, sensitive.. i was very impressed when o'neill shot the robot girl (replecators creator) and daniel cried.. for me, the only negative thing about daniel jackson (indeed michael shanks) was that he talked too rapidly, i had to relisten to some of his explanations..
Chantal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that's what I mean. Daniel was a great character, though not always written as interestingly as they could have.
Belathne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forgotten, who said that - Jack about Daniel or Rick about Michael. Anyway, he said that he cannot even think as fast as Daniel/Michael talks. Laughing
I watch the episodes with English subtitles, because I want to understand everything. I don't need them to understand Rick, but Michael is really a challenge for foreigners.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I didn't want to show the quote as I know all ages access the forum.
The reason I think I didn't see most of season 7 was when it was airing over here the first time. The station was bought and taken off the air, then by the time it was put back on, no Jack. And vala and cam were there. Like others said here Jonas ( from watching from a new perspective now) had a calmness and more empathy than Daniel.

The early interpretion of Daniel I liked. Then he seemed that he was talking down to or patronising the group.

Was there a reason at the time why Corin couldn't stay on?

Also I have watched the last episode, mostly because Amanda said at a con Sam and Telc were meant to be an item. There's subtle and there's not a blip.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you refering to the quote Chantal posted? What's wrong about that? Well, as English isn't my first language, "to dick around" has maybe also other meanings than "to waste time". Or is something else the problem? Question Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think kids will be influenced that much by one word.... they use much, much worse words on a daily basis.... Laughing
Chantal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the word "dick", which is slang for a man's private bit Wink
Belathne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chantal wrote:
I think it's the word "dick", which is slang for a man's private bit Wink

Yeah, I know, but I thought that "to dick around" means something else and has nothing to do with IT. Embarassed Laughing
You are right. Kids hear much worse stuff at school these days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belathne wrote:
Are you refering to the quote Chantal posted? What's wrong about that? Well, as English isn't my first language, "to dick around" has maybe also other meanings than "to waste time". Or is something else the problem? Question Rolling Eyes

Not just children, but I know, people much older that could find offence. That's all, I thought I was just being respectful IMO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the conversation, so I'm backing it up a bit. I like Corin as well and wished he could have stayed. Was glad they brought him back to tell more of the story of his planet.

But, one of my favorite Daniel moments was when SG1 was going to give the planet the 'heavy water' to help end their war and he says something along the lines of: "Is that the right way to get their technology - yes; but is it the right thing to do?" That whole episode is so good for making us think about blindly supporting someone because you met them first and heard their side of the story. It's a lesson that's taken me a long time to learn!
Figgy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But, one of my favorite Daniel moments was when SG1 was going to give the planet the 'heavy water' to help end their war and he says something along the lines of: "Is that the right way to get their technology - yes; but is it the right thing to do?" That whole episode is so good for making us think about blindly supporting someone because you met them first and heard their side of the story.

Yes! That is exactly the kind of thing I love Daniel for. The way he sees both sides of an issue, how he points out things people can't see because they don't want to see. I call him the eye and mind opener. An extraordinary character.
I liked Jonas too, but not as Daniel's replacement. I wish they would've kept him as the 5th member of SG1 instead of Vala. I could never warm up to her. Cameron, yes. Vala, no. Sad
And yes, Daniel's fast talking got on my nerves too. I liked him better before he went glowy. He came back a motormouth. Shocked
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Stargate SG-1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: