RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MACGYVER inside you!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> MacGyver
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xena

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: MACGYVER inside you! Reply with quote

do you do things like mac? i mean creating things out of different things, you know what i mean.. Mr. Green i am sure most of us do without noticing..
this summer i made an underwater camera with my everyday camera. Very Happy just placed it inside a transparent summer bag, we had 5-10 seconds before the bag is full of water, i took few pics of my daughter this way. even made a 5 seconds video.. it was fun!
Mr. Green

and here is one pic.. funny, huh?

Last edited by xena on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
MacBeth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean 'MacGyvering'? Yes, I do. For a lot of us, the show gave us a word for something that people did anyway -- now the word keeps the show alive in the memory, which is a very good thing?

I used the following definition as the lead header in my novel Reverb:

Macgyver, verb transitive. To improvise a solution, usually to a mechanical or technical problem, using available repurposed found objects.

The actual formal term for the activity in general is bricolage; one who does it is a bricoleur.

http://lolmac.livejournal.com
http://community.livejournal.com/bethinexile/
KateR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MACGYVER inside you! Reply with quote

xena wrote:
do you do things like mac? i mean creating things out of different things, you know what i mean...

I've told this story before elsewhere, but I don't think I've shared it here. This was probably my biggest MacGyverism:

It was a couple of years ago on New Year's weekend, at night, and we were having a torrential rain storm. Suddenly I heard pouring water in my apartment and discovered that the ceiling was leaking in my utility closet where the furnace and water heater were. Water was pouring in, and since it was at night on a holiday weekend, there was no way to get anyone to come fix it.

I got garbage bags, cut off the bottoms, and used duct tape to tape them together end-to-end to make a long plastic-bag tube. Then I got a wire coat hanger and bent it out to make a ring shape, and taped the plastic tube to it so that the hanger would hold the end of the tube open. Then I duct taped the hanger and the tube in the utility closet so that the hanger captured the pouring water, and the plastic tube guided it around the water heater and into the drain in the floor of the closet. So, for the rest of the storm, and until the roofers could come out to repair the leak, my MacGyverism captured all the water from the leak and drained it out of the apartment.

I wrote and told RDA about it at the time. He was impressed, and mentioned again that MacGyver's ingenuity was not something he had ever shared. Smile

Kate
MacBeth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic story, Kate!

Probably my favourite personal MacGyverism was a very small one. I was flying from Florida back to Seattle, and as the plane reached the airport mid-country where my inevitable layover was, my glasses fell off my face -- the temple had given way, as it often does, and I was going to have to tape them. The catch was that all I had was my carry-on and my laptop case. Also, I'm blind as a bat without the glasses.

I kind of fumbled my way off the plane and onto the concourse, thinking very hard about just what I actually did have available, as opposed to what I didn't. I remembered that I had a rudimentary first-aid kit, and a set of nail clippers.

I took a band-aid out of the kit, used the nail clippers to cut the bandage pad away from one of the adhesive tape ends, and used that to fix my glasses. The amazing thing was that it worked really, really well -- better than ordinary tape ever has, in fact! The band-aid adhesive is a little stretchy, and fitted more tightly.

Since then, I use band-aids on my glasses when I must -- although, as long as I'm not actually on a plane, I can at least use scissors instead of nail clippers to cut them.

xena

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: MACGYVER inside you! Reply with quote

great macgyverism kate! i wish you could take some pics and show it to rda and us of course.. Very Happy

macbeth, yours is great too.

we definitely have some Mac inside us.. really nice to hear your stories..
ArianeH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !!! what experiences ladies !!!

One of my last :

A best friend of mine at office who makes a lot of decoration objects with wool, pearls... gave me a very nice doll which I liked to keep on my desk ; so I took a paperclip to tie the cord of the doll around the spring of my desk lamp Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper clips are your friends! I use them for controlling the computer cable 'spaghetti' behind and under desks at work. Paper clips, binder clips, and twist-ties. They work beautifully. (Although people look at me oddly.)

Belathne

Location: Bonn, Germany / Oh for cryin' out loud, it's me again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stories. Hey you guys are geniuses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is from a few years ago. I was coming home from work and slipped on the sidewalk leading up to my door. My landlord was not "diligent" when it came to removing snow/ice from the walks. I tried calling him to no avail, and he didn't have an answering machine either. I knew when I went out the next day, I was just going to fall again, or have to wade through hip deep snow to get out to "safety". He left nothing in the outside hall but a shovel - no help. So I went through my cupboards and found regular table salt and just emptied the whole box down the path. It worked.... next day... no falling! *Of course, after I was able to get a hold of him - he was a little better at clearing off the walks!*

TJ, Northern Ontario, Canada
banlu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver would be proud!

I was at the Urban Dictionary in the "m's" the other day, and decided to look up MacGyver. One of the definitoins said he fixed things "using physics, chemistry and duct tape." LOL

I know I've Macgyvered in my time, but nothing special comes to mind. My father could fix/build anything, and saved all sorts of odds and ends (springs, lawn mower tires, shutter hinges) to use around the yard or in the basement. He made a close-up light on his workbench by sticking a socket on an old extendable arm and made a reflective cover by cutting away an opening in the side of an old metal coffee can LOL. He once said he could make it work, just not make it pretty. Sadly, he passed away years before MacGyver aired. He would have loved the show.

banlu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear fellow Belgian and Dutch MacGyver fans,

From now on every thursday on Een, Adriaan Van den Hoof verklaart zijn liefde voor MacGyver....

http://www.een.be/programmas/de-laatste-show/macgyver

Wink
Modest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: MacGyver in "De laatste show" Reply with quote

Can't help it. Just had to post it.

Adriaan Van den Hoof tries out MacGyverisms, in his own, unique, way.

Unfortunately, only dutch speaking fans will understand what is being said....

With love from Belgium....

http://www.een.be/programmas/de-laatste-show/een-gsm-opladen-met-vitamine-c
Susanne B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: MACGYVER inside you! Reply with quote

Modest wrote:
Can't help it. Just had to post it.

Adriaan Van den Hoof tries out MacGyverisms, in his own, unique, way.

Unfortunately, only dutch speaking fans will understand what is being said....

With love from Belgium....

http://www.een.be/programmas/de-laatste-show/een-gsm-opladen-met-vitamine-c

THATS GREAT
Laughing
Sanne
Annelies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View months ago we had to substitute all the locks at work, because the magnets in it didn't work anymore.. One of the doors felt in the lock and we couldn't get in the appartment anymore so I climbed from balcony to balcony to open the door from the inside. Open the door with a thick plastic didn't work, tried that with my colleague, so climbing was the only option..
Afterwards I grapped newspapers together, made tiny props and pushed them in all the locks and doors so the doors could close, but couldn't fall in the lock anymore untill the doors were fixed.

finally, the right story in the right topic... had a view posts before here, but it didn't fit in this topic.. Smile

Lies

Annelies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out for some Sushi tonight with the kids and a friend of mine...
Look what they had to help the kids eat with sticks...
I never seen it before, thought of MacGyver immediatly!!

Lies

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> MacGyver All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: