RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stargate Universe cancelled
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Stargate SG-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Figgy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Stargate Universe cancelled Reply with quote

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/syfy-cancels-stargate-universe/

I can't say I'm surprised, but it's still very sad. Sad
Fandango

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figgy, thanks for posting the news.

Sigh.....

I'm sorry to see the franchise get ditched (at least for the meantime), but they pretty much did it to themselves.

I didn't think it was a good idea when they said they were starting a darker, younger series. Also, it might have been a bit better if they remembered to have some believable science in their "science fiction."

And the fact that they flushed Atlantis was just a bad move.

Alas, not at all shocked.
KatXander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the SGU cast found out about it on Twitter. I think that's really crappy that they couldn't have been notified before it went public.

I'm kind of PO'd about that.

Pat
Fandango

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it's just the usual level of SyFy class.
Didn't they inform SG-1 during the 200th Ep party? Right as Rick was about to cut the cake? Yah, SyFy class.......
Mad
Belathne

Location: Bonn, Germany / Oh for cryin' out loud, it's me again!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop crying girls there are so many meetings before you
Belathne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that seems to be the end of STARGATE!!! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Rick said something to TPTB from all of us in Vancouver at MTM saying we didn't like the show! He seemed surprised!

I figured something was up when they moved time slots and replaced SGU with WWF Wrestling (Which I hate more than SGU!)
Figgy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that seems to be the end of STARGATE!!! Sad

Belathne, for me Stargate ended 2 years ago. The new show may have been sci fi, may have had a stargate in it, but it was no Stargate as far as I'm concerned. I can't blame the creators for trying something new, they are artists, and as such they don't like to keep making their product based on the same formula. They tried to go in a new direction and people didn't like it. It happens. I'm hoping that either after a bit of rest someone with great ideas will revive the franchise using the formula people did like, or that someone will come up with a new sci fi series that will enchant the viewers as much as Stargate and Star Trek did. Until then, I have 15 seasons of Stargate shows on DVD to enjoy, because the bad taste of SGU thankfully didn't sour me for the whole franchise. Smile

Quote:
Maybe Rick said something to TPTB from all of us in Vancouver at MTM saying we didn't like the show!

Pcaseyco, Brad Wright rather infamously told the "old" Stargate fans after they complained about the new show that "If we make a good show, you will watch it. If we donít, you wonít." It seems that people have done exactly that. I know that I have. Sad

Quote:
I'm sorry to see the franchise get ditched (at least for the meantime), but they pretty much did it to themselves.

Fandango, I agree. That certainly seems to be the case. The cancellation of Atlantis for the new show didn't make TPTB a lot of friends either.

I wonder it this show would've done better if it didn't bear the Stargate title. There are many people who do enjoy soap-operaish drama, set in space or not. I've read comments from many people who liked SGU very much but didn't know the previous series. So for a fresh starter who had no specific expectations of the show like the hardcore SG fans did it may have been a lot easier to warm up to the new series.
SGU had a lot of fan grudges and difficulties to overcome, and the series of PR blunders from the creators didn't help much either. Sad

Edited to correct the BW quote.
Belathne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have already discussed that before. Most of the STARGATE fans didn't like SGU, because they compared it too much with the good old STARGATE show. SGU, has never had a chance to be successful. The absence of one person in SG1 already made a big difference, how should a show without any humor get the interest of the STARGATE fans?

I'm not sad that SGU was cancelled. I'm sad that the era of STARGATE is over now. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belathne wrote:
how should a show without any humor get the interest of the STARGATE fans?
It wasn't just a lack of humor. There were just far too many holes.
How should a show without any science get the interest of science fiction fans? Their science $*(^&>! They went well outside of the realm of believability with Destiny (and other places). But also, they had characters behaving in unbelievable ways. The series wasn't really believable, even within the realm of fiction.

Quote:
I'm sad that the era of STARGATE is over now.
Oh, I wouldn't count it as "over." It's just taking a break. In this day and age, you can't keep a good thing buried forever.
Belathne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fandango wrote:
Quote:
I'm sad that the era of STARGATE is over now.
Oh, I wouldn't count it as "over." It's just taking a break. In this day and age, you can't keep a good thing buried forever.

IMO STARGATE was the best Sci-fi show I've ever watched. Still watching!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all this is my first post in a way I am glad (if it's really is true) they have cancelled universe as they can now save the money from the show to the new film as I am really am still hoping they do make eventually

anyway have a great christmas everyone from the UK

Janice
carmen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figgy wrote:
........I can't blame the creators for trying something new, they are artists, and as such they don't like to keep making their product based on the same formula......

I agree with you ..... but I think the creators did not have the courage of making an entirely different show and tried to lay on the proved loyalty of Stargate fans Ö.. but it did not work.

By the way ....... Welcome Janice and Merry Christmas to you too
HolyAngelQueenSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: I heard it Reply with quote

Yes.. it's still Cancelled SGU from Sy-fy network. I m sorry... I respect to who people. I have no matter. Very Happy I think hope is: New three movie is Stargate: revolation cast is RDA. He will fine strong to good playing in TV Show and movie. Smile God bless him. Smile Smile

~Heather~
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Stargate SG-1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: