RDA Fans Forum Index RDA Fans
Welcome to the Richard Dean Anderson Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stargate Figures in Action
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Stargate SG-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your comments. I am happy you like the new story. This was just a beginning, and I hope you will enjoy the next parts even more.
KateR wrote:
Paya, I am continually amazed by your creativity, your incredible photography, and your extraordinary attention to detail. Not to mention your command of the English language! (No one would ever believe that English is a second language for you.)

Well, now itís my turn to blush. Embarassed I am genuinely stunned by this comment regarding my English.

Jack: Sheís kidding.
Paja: Who? Me?
Jack: No. Kate.
Paja: Of course, she does.

Now seriously, as much as I try to do my best, I believe there are many mistakes in my writing. Thatís why it really surprised me what you said. But it is certainly a very nice compliment and honour for me. Thank you.

KateR wrote:
Here's a challenge for you - a selfie of you and Jack on your travels! I'm sure you can do it! Laughing

Well the camera does have a remote control and the timer... if I put it on a tripod... Wink ...Or do you mean the perspective? As in me talking to Jack face to face, being of the same size? It can be a challenge, yes. Though sometimes I feel like I have already miniaturized myself into the little world. Instead of admiring big, real-life-sized things on my trips, I am looking for and noticing miniature scenery and stuff that can be used for locations with the figure. It has this effect.

yolie wrote:
the way you present Jack in each segments are so true to Jack's character.

It's so great to hear that. It is my intention to make him sound like that, but I cannot be sure if I managed enough to ďfind his voiceĒ till the readers confirm that. So such feedback is very appreciated.

Astra wrote:
I love the rucksack and the mention of cows and Jack nosediving into the snow

He actually fell on his own. I merely took the advantage of the situation.

As for the rucksack, let me proudly emphasize that it is a ďrealĒ military duffle bag. The initial idea was to make a simple bag instead of a proper sport bag with handles (which seemed to be more complicated). I wanted it to be quick and easy made, so I just planned to put a few holes in it and add a piece of rope to close it.

However, you know me - at one point, it crossed my mind that I might check it on the internet and get inspired by the real design, especially the way how the strap is attached. And that moment changed my simple task into a more precise project. When I studied the closing system, I liked it so much that I ended up making little metal-like rings for the holes and even a little clip from a wire (after I wasnít satisfied with a clip from a necklace).

So fun. All the more that it works the same way as the big thing does. LOL

Here are examples found on the internet:

Here is the work in progress (compared to a metric rule):

Here is Jack using the result:

And here is a promo shot Wink:

Last edited by Paya on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiing in the Swiss Alps - Part 2

The next day brought a nice surprise for us. Yesterdayís bad weather was gone, and it encouraged us to explore a bigger area of the neighbouring valleys.

Jack: Yes, this is much better.

Jack was testing the crisp snow on remote slopes.

After a while we came to an interesting place where Jack stopped and took off his skis.

He discovered this entrance into an ice cave. And you know he had led an exploring unit for all those years for a reason, right?

Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His curiosity took over and he walked in. No wonder. It was indeed a beautiful location.

It became quite hard to follow him everywhere though. Sometimes, I had to crawl through extremely narrow passages.

The enormous complex of halls and tunnels spreading deep into the mountain was amazing.

We were crisscrossing through the icy net for a long time, our excitement growing every minute.

Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we got out of the caves at a different place on the icy cliff.

Jack looked around and put on his skis resolutely. I didnít see any reasonable way down, but I rather kept quiet and just waited what he had up his sleeve this time.

And then... He just jumped. Like that. With that annoying ease of his. You can see the end of his tracks in the upper left corner of the picture. He merely touched the little ledge bellow, made another jump, then slid over the rest of the steep side and was down in no time. Breathtaking maneuver of an extraordinary skier.

Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the sunshine, admiring scenic views over the main valley and the opposite mountain range.

Behind-the-scene note:
It may be hard to believe that behind such innocently looking pictures like this one, there can be moments of worries and inner tension resulting from awareness of danger and possible bad consequences. Itís because, as I once mentioned, Jackís skis really are able to ski!

If I put him on a hard, compacted snow, which doesnít provide enough friction, and am not careful to arrange the figure properly and safely, it can start to slide down while Iím taking a photo. Considering how close the figure is to the edge, below which the surface gets a lot more elevated, the figure can easily go down to the valley before I even have a chance to catch it.

Yes, sometimes, taking pictures of Jack may be quite nerve wracking.

Jack [reading over my shoulder while I am typing]: What?
Paja: Nothing, Jack, nothing. I am just writing how exciting it is when I photograph your escapades.

Actually, I have included a fishing line to my regular action figure shoot equipment. Then I can secure Jack with the line when he is balancing above a waterfall or when heís standing on his skis at the edge of a snow ledge admiring the mountain scenery. But I am usually too lazy to install it like that, so Jack is on his own most of the time.

(Just between you and me: the true reason I donít use this sophisticated safety instrument more often is totally different. Come on, we all know the guy is former special ops. Can you even imagine the glares he sent my way when I looped a fishing line around his leg the first time he decided to get a closer look at wild rapids? Yes. Thatís why.)

So... be careful, Jack. It gets quite steep before you.
Jack: But thatís the point in skiing, isnít it?

Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switzerland is well known for its railway, watches and banks. And of course, the mountain scenery. But it is also a land of dams. Here in Valais, you can find one in nearly every valley, high up, surrounded by magnificent mountains, creating reservoirs of beautiful turquoise colour. Though opinions on dams in general may vary, and rightly so, one thing is indisputable: many of them represent truly fascinating pieces of structural engineering. During my travels in the Alps, I became a fan of exploring the wonder aspect of these artificial lakes.

Here weíre passing by Lac de Cleuson dam, built at the altitude ca 2,180 m.

We took a little break at a kettle hole surrounded by ďmogul fieldsĒ. A big cable car was just arriving to its bottom station, inviting to another adventure.

A was watching Jackís line of sight, dreading the worst.

He was following the ropes up to a point with a poetic name: Col des Gentianes, about 900 m higher then the place where we were just standing. Of course, no flowers were to be admired there at that time of year, but an attractive steep bumpy route going - no, *falling* - down from there.

Jack: Are we going for it?
Paja: Ahem, well, you know...
Jack: All right. I know. Forget about it.

Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dumbfounded by his sudden display of understanding. He was perfectly okay with taking the other lift and other route. To my utter relief, needless to say. Now, he can be such a nice guy sometimes, canít he?

Jack: Iím taking a nap. Wake me up when weíre... up.

Paja: Sure. I will.

The nap didnít last long. Soon enough, Jack was back on his feet, looking out of the window of our cable car.

Jack: How about this? It looks quite good.
Paja: Nope. Iíve got weak legs... and am not in good shape... and this is too hard, frozen...
Jack: Yadda yadda yadda. Quit worrying. I was just teasing you.

Did he laughed or was I imagining things?

Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We reached the top of the mountain comfortably and leapt over to the next valley on our list. The other side of the ridge offered even more spectacular scenery.

You donít have to fly to get a birdís-eye view.

Just take another lift up...

...and reach another magnificent part.

Paya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no. So we have come here after all. We made a full circle and now we are right above that slope which initially caught Jackís interest. He knew it and thatís why he was so willing to accept my suggestions.

Paja: Jack, you devil!
Jack: *mischievous, satisfied grin*

Exactly something for Jack.

Yes, this is a ski route. Jack went there. I did not. Hence the photo taken through a window of a descending cable car. There was no other way down and I was in no way going to ski down this vertical thing.

Instead of it, I used the beneficial factor of the lift and then was patiently waiting for Jack at the bottom of the hill, watching the dramatic sky at another glorious sunset.

This day was a marvel. After the wet and foggy yesterday, we took the sunny weather as a gift and enjoyed it to the fullest.

-- To be continued --
Astra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay new pictures! Okay, the one from inside the ice cave? I just hurt my brain trying to figure out how you did THAT. Only way I can imagine, you did indeed shrink yourself (Honey, I shrunk Paya!) so you were the same size as Jack. It's the only logical explanation, right? Right?

Amazing pictures. And just when I wanted to ask: Hey, what about the fishing line?, you explained about it LOL

But that is a sneaky Jack, bringing you to the route he wanted. I didn't believe his act of innocence. Not at all.

I seriously wonder though if you ever manage to get to do some skiing on your own, when you have to follow him all the time.

Paya wrote:
He actually fell on his own. I merely took the advantage of the situation.

Those are always the best pictures! When something unexpected happens.

Paya wrote:
And that moment changed my simple task into a more precise project. When I studied the closing system, I liked it so much that I ended up making little metal-like rings for the holes

I certainly noticed the metal rings! Whenever I throw away a jeans I make sure to get the metal out of it first - you never know when you might need it. So I thought you had used some already existing rings - not that you also MADE them!

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/
KateR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astra wrote:
Yay new pictures! Okay, the one from inside the ice cave? I just hurt my brain trying to figure out how you did THAT.

LOL! Funny thing is, I had no problem imagining that Paya had crawled into the ice cave with Jack. I was simply amazed that she had an exposure that went from shaded to bright sunshine and a depth of field that stayed in focus from a few inches away to infinity.

Paya wrote:
Now seriously, as much as I try to do my best, I believe there are many mistakes in my writing. Thatís why it really surprised me what you said. But it is certainly a very nice compliment and honour for me. Thank you.

You may not believe it, but your English is very sophisticated. Smile

Paya wrote:

KateR wrote:
Here's a challenge for you - a selfie of you and Jack on your travels! I'm sure you can do it! Laughing

Well the camera does have a remote control and the timer... if I put it on a tripod... Wink ...Or do you mean the perspective? As in me talking to Jack face to face, being of the same size?

Wait a minute. You mean you're NOT the same size??

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Your pictures are so completely believable you have us all imagining that someone has been eating Alice in Wonderland's mushrooms! Spin

Kate
Pamk1950

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paya,

Absolutely amazing work as always. My travel wish list is growing. I don't ski but I would love to go there just to take in the scenery.

(Of course Tiger is now asking for some skis. He wants to be just like Jack.)

I can't wait until the next set of pictures.

Pam

She dreams of Mermaids, Motorcycles and a man that can Dance.

LIFE isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about leaning to DANCE in the rain
Astra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Scotland after Christmas, and in Glasgow I bought a bagpipe for Jack:

Although he does not look as if he knows how to play it. Maybe I should have bought a kilt as well?

Caty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astra wrote:
I was in Scotland after Christmas, and in Glasgow I bought a bagpipe for Jack:

Although he does not look as if he knows how to play it. Maybe I should have bought a kilt as well?

I don't think so, Astra.
Jack's irish, remember? Maybe a small harp fits him more? Wink
Can you imagine Jack playing a harp? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caty wrote:

I don't think so, Astra.
Jack's irish, remember? Maybe a small harp fits him more? Wink
Can you imagine Jack playing a harp? Laughing Laughing

LOL Caty Very Happy
You are right of course. To be honest, I bought them for a different Jack. Jack Harkness. His actor (John Barrowman) is Scottish indeed but unfortunately the figure is much smaller than "our" Jack. So I think on the bigger Jack it looks better. And Jack O'Neill is always curious and fiddles with everything, as you surely know Wink

And this is the Doctor (this is big Barbie-size), played by David Tennant, who is Scottish too:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RDA Fans Forum Index -> Stargate SG-1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 60 of 62

Jump to: