EVERY TIME SHE SMILES
01.16 Episode 16 (#40191-016)
Airdate: February 19, 1986
MacGyver is in Bulgaria to obtain microfilm, but his plans for a quick getaway are stymied by an American who involves him in her lovers' quarrel with a Bulgarian security officer.
Written by: James Schmerer
Directed by: Charles Correll
Guest Starring: Teri Hatcher as Penny Parker, Kai Wulff as Stepan Frolov, Michael Fox as Anton Burak, Milos Kirek as General Petrovitch, Vladimir Skomarovsky as Anton, Anthony Caldarella as Constantine, Peggy Rea as Angry Woman at the Airport
Nielsen Ratings: 15.2 rating / 23 share / 2nd (42nd overall)
Escaped from a holding cell using
a coat rack, coat hangers,
a chair and a conveyor belt
Picked a handcuff lock with an earring
Evaded capture by speeding up a
merry-go-round and then jamming
the mechanism with brass rings
Created chemical fog using rat poison,
soap flakes, and tile cleaner
Created a time delay fuse for an
explosion using lard, newspaper,
oven cleaner, and natural gas
Created a highway hazard by mixing
diesel exhaust with water
to form an immiscible liquid
- And I learned something up in the Swiss Alps. I just shouldn't go skiing without a parachute. [MacGyver]
- It's just like the ride at Disneyland. [Penny]
Will you keep your head down? [MacGyver]
- Economy class. [MacGyver]
- Well, no one became a great woman living in a vacuum. [MacGyver]
- That's the nicest thing anybody ever said to me. [Penny]
Well, you're the nicest person I've ever said it to. [MacGyver]
- I'll tell you what's simple: Me. For getting into that first conversation with Penny Parker. But what else could I do? I mean, a guy just can't be rude. I mean, how was I to know... how was I to KNOW? [MacGyver]
- Well, I went to the ladies' room and climbed out the window. [Penny]
Of course you did. Why do I ask those questions? [MacGyver]
- Well, the cliché thing to be done here is for him to blow my kneecaps off. [MacGyver]
- You know, I really like you. You understand me. We're on the same wavelength. [Penny]
Well, that worries me. [MacGyver]
- There's that machine, uh, that they used to plow with. [Penny]
A trac-tor? [MacGyver]
- Are you crazy? [Stepan]
It's been rumored. [MacGyver]
- The episode has no Opening Gambit and begins immediately with the theme music.
- The original shooting title of the episode was "Together Forever."
- Richard Dean Anderson broke his right hand while shooting an action sequence during the previous episode. During this episode, the cast on his right arm is explained as the result of an accident in which MacGyver broke his hand while on a skiing vacation in the Swiss Alps.
- The episode takes place in Bulgaria. The building in the opening scene is Banya Bashi Mosque in Sofia, Bulgaria, suggesting that the episode is meant to take place in the capital city of Sofia.
- The passports for MacGyver and Penny Parker show birthdates and birthplaces:
- MacGyver's first name is hidden, birthdate January 23, 1951, birthplace Minnesota, passport issued by the Passport Agency in Los Angeles on July 31, 1979, expires July 30, 1989
- Penny Parker, birthdate February 20, 1962, birthplace Iowa, passport issued by the Passport Agency in New York on April 16, 1985, expires April 15, 1995
- The stolen jewels were part of the crown jewels of the German House of Hanover, worth 700,000 leva, which equals more than $400,000.
- Swiss Army Knife Count: (1)
- Used the blade to cut the water hose on the water truck
- MacGyver Science:
- Diesel exhaust contains hydrocarbons that, when mixed with water, form an immiscible liquid, meaning that water and oil don't mix.
- Injury Scorecard:
- Although it happened off-screen, MacGyver broke his right hand while on a skiing vacation in the Swiss Alps.