01.14 Episode 14 (#40191-013)
Airdate: February 5, 1986
MacGyver and an ex-Army buddy have just hours to defuse two sophisticated bombs aboard a cruise ship.
Written by: David Ketchum and Tony DiMarco
Directed by: Stan Jolley
Guest Starring: Ellen Bry as Carole Tanner, Steven Williams as Charlie Robinson, Dana Elcar as Peter Thornton, Michael Cavanaugh as Mike Donahue, Robin Pearson Rose as Susan, Burke Byrnes as Captain Howard, J. Michael Flynn as Carlyle, Jeff Abbott as Officer Atkins
Nielsen Ratings: 15.2 rating / 23 share / 2nd (36th overall)
Used a remote controlled robot to
make a 21st century breakfast
Repurposed a cargo net
into a rappelling line
Used a sharpening stone and cork to
open and seal a tube of neon gas
Used a tube of neon gas to withdraw
phosphorus powder from a vacuum
Neutralized acid using a pastry tube,
liquid oven cleaner, and low fat milk
Used psychology to determine which
fuse would disarm the bomb
- Pick a number between one and ten. Quick. [MacGyver]
Close, but wrong. I go first. [MacGyver]
- You got any neon signs on board? [MacGyver]
The search party found another one, in the auxiliary power room. [Atkins]
You got two neon signs? [MacGyver]
- You never played a round of golf in your entire misspent life. [Thornton to MacGyver]
- I can recommend the cruise... It's a great place to relax, if you've been under stress. [Carole]
Well...do I get to sit at the captain's table? [MacGyver]
- The episode has no Opening Gambit and begins immediately with the theme music.
- As the 13th episode to be filmed but the 14th episode to air, this is the first introduction of the character of Susan, MacGyver's landlady, building maintenance person, and friend.
- Susan's name is spelled "Susan" in the dialogue and captions but "Suzanne" in the credits.
Carlyle's name is spelled "Carlyle" in the dialogue and captions but "Carlysle" in the credits.
MacGyver's robot is spelled "Roboter" in the captions but he refers to her as "Roberta."
Bob the pilot and Harrison the field agent are not listed in the credits.
- The views of the S.S. Victoria use footage of the MS Vistafjord.
- The S.S. Victoria was located in the North Pacific Ocean at latitude 40°N and longitude 165°E, about 1000 miles east of Hokkaido, Japan.
- It is specifically stated for the first time that MacGyver's apartment is in Venice Beach, California.
It is specifically stated for the first time that the Federal Building is in Los Angeles, California.
- Charlie Robinson and MacGyver served together in Vietnam as a bomb diffusing team which busted 51 bombs together. The TV Guide episode summary states that they served in the Army. Donahue commanded the lead sabotage control group in Cam Ranh Bay from 1971-73 and ran the 227 Bomb Squad out of Da Nang a few years before MacGyver and Charlie's Vietnam service, suggesting that MacGyver served in the Army in Vietnam after 1973.
- MacGyver specifically states that he has a contract with Pete Thornton's "outfit" that says he takes only those jobs he wants to take.
- MacGyver is still driving a blue Jeep Cherokee Chief with California license 1KWT818.
- MacGyver wears the iconic brown leather jacket, and a military cap in the helicopter.
- Swiss Army Knife Count: (1)
- Used a blade to pry off the stopper on the tube of acid
- MacGyver Science:
- Phosphorus will flash when exposed to air.
- A strong alkaline base like oven cleaner and an organic neutral like milk will neutralize an acid.
- RIP - MacGyver's Friends Who Have Been Killed: (1)
- Charlie Robinson, MacGyver's friend since they served together in Vietnam, was killed by a bomb explosion