01.13 Episode 13 (#40191-014)
Airdate: January 29, 1986
MacGyver's ex-college girlfriend discovers the theft of uranium at a nuclear plant and thinks someone is trying to kill her.
Teleplay by: Stephen Kandel
Story by: Hannah Louise Shearer
Directed by: Bruce Seth Green
Guest Starring: Tannis Montgomery as Amy Austin, Conlan Carter as Ed Train, Robert Englund as Tim Wexler, Robin Pearson Rose as Susan, Bill Washington as Kyle, Roger Hampton as Yale, Ed Williams as Minister
Nielsen Ratings: 16.0 rating / 23 share / 2nd (40th overall)
Westport Nuclear Processing Plant,
Determined that residue on the
exploded gas tank was
Short-circuited an electronic time clock
to speed up the clock
Used a Geiger counter to locate
stolen uranium inside concrete
Used a handgun as a wrench
- You always carried a pocketful of junk. And you always fixed everything. [Amy to MacGyver]
- I think they ought to just run you for president or something. [Amy]
Oh, no thanks. I'd rather have this problem than his. [MacGyver]
- Mac, just how well do you read people? [Amy]
I'm taking the final exam right now. [MacGyver]
- Mac, no -- it'll kill you! [Amy]
No way! I haven't paid my taxes yet. [MacGyver]
- A Marine sergeant once started a charge by yelling at his men, "Come on, you want to live forever?" Now, I used to think that was about the guttiest thing ever said. But of course, the older you get, the more nervous you get. And I was getting. [MacGyver]
- First time in my life I've ever been happy to have my hands on a gun! [MacGyver]
- The episode has no Opening Gambit.
- As the 14th episode to be filmed but the 13th episode to air, this is the first appearance of Susan, who plays table hockey with MacGyver, but it is not until the following episode that she is introduced as MacGyver's landlady, building maintenance person, and friend.
- Car license plates indicate that Westport Beach is on the California coast, a plane flight away from Los Angeles. Although it is likely fictional, a town of Westport does exist on the California coast north of San Francisco.
- It is implied, although not specifically stated, that MacGyver graduated from a college in or near Westport Beach, California, but the name of the college is not identified.
- MacGyver studied physics in college, but his degree is not specified.
- During the flashback to MacGyver's college years, the songs playing on the radio are "Crocodile Rock," which was released in November, 1972, and "Time in a Bottle," which was released in November, 1973, suggesting that MacGyver and Amy graduated from college in 1973 or 1974.
- MacGyver had a motorcycle and a black leather jacket during college.
- MacGyver's new answering machine message: "Hello. This is not MacGyver. So, obviously, you've reached a wrong number. But if you need to leave a message... [unintelligible] ...if he happens by."
- MacGyver does a passable Canadian accent and imitation of Howard Cosell.
- MacGyver specifically states, "I hate heights and I despise guns."
- MacGyver says "damn" three times.
- Swiss Army Knife Count: (3)
- Used the screwdriver to unscrew the panel of the electronic time clock
- Used the screwdriver again to rewire the electronic time clock
- Used the blade to cut the wires to the electronic time clock
- Reunion - MacGyver's Former Girlfriends:
- MacGyver and Amy Austin had dated in college.