01.11 Episode 11 (#40191-012)
Airdate: January 15, 1986
MacGyver escapes from foreign agents, but only after being injected with a hallucinogen that will kill him in six hours if he can't get the antidote.
Written by: James Schmerer
Directed by: Cliff Bole
Guest Starring: Tammy Lauren as Lisa Allen, Dana Elcar as Peter Thornton, Robert O'Reilly as Kurt Neilson, J.P. Bumstead as Barrett, Mike Mancini as Crisp, Tommy Lamey as Polk, J. Michael Flynn as Carlyle, Kimberley Pistone as Amy, Richard McGregor as Ron
Nielsen Ratings: 15.9 rating / 23 share / 2nd (34th overall)
Made a fishing lure from
a gum wrapper
Made a giant slingshot from
bed springs and a bed frame
Used a belt buckle as a screwdriver
Used a belt to carry water into an
electrical outlet as a distraction
Sharpened a knife on the
edge of a metal basin
Created an explosive decoy with
a radio, a car battery, a TV tube,
and jumper cables
Used a fire hose as misdirection
to create the impression
of an escape
Created a decoy by letting the
air out of a car tire with a nail
Knocked out the enemy by
kicking open a car door
Used a smoldering rope and a
smoke detector to create a decoy
Knocked down the enemy by
releasing suspended water bottles
onto plywood and barrels
Made a magnet by striking a
metal rod against a fire hydrant
- Here's an idea. Why don't you just try dripping water on my forehead? The old rubber hose and bright light trick. Hypnotism! It's been known to work. The KGB uses it all the time. They got it down to a science. What do you say? [MacGyver]
- You have good veins. [Neilson]
Thank you. [MacGyver]
- The initial effect is disorientation, double vision, hallucinations. [Neilson]
I was kind of hoping that's what this was. [MacGyver]
- The episode has no Opening Gambit.
- As the 12th episode to be filmed, but the 11th episode to air, it marks the first appearance of Dana Elcar as Peter Thornton and the first mention of the DXS, although it has not yet been stated what DXS stands for.
- It is established that MacGyver works for Pete Thornton, and Pete Thornton works for the DXS at the Federal Building in Los Angeles.
- Lisa Allen's last name is not used in the episode and appears only in the credits.
- MacGyver's brown leather jacket appears for the third time and has become a favored wardrobe item.
- MacGyver is skilled at tying knots.
- MacGyver delivers a punch that hurts his hand.
- MacGyver recalls a childhood incident: When he was a kid, he built a slingshot out of a couple of broken hockey sticks and an old inner tube, and no matter how hard he practiced, he could just never miss his neighbor's window.
- MacGyver's bonus for the mission is to arrange a government scholarship for Lisa.
- Swiss Army Knife Count: (2)
- Helped to make a fishing lure from a gum wrapper
- Used the bottle opener blade to pry open the base of the light standard (twice)
- MacGyver Science:
- The impact of iron against iron causes temporary molecular structural alignment. All of the ions run to the other end, making a magnet.
- Injury Scorecard:
- MacGyver is injected with a serum that causes disorientation, double vision, memory loss, and hallucinations. After about three hours the mind clears and there is excruciating pain leading to death if an antidote is not administered within six hours.
- Pete is shot in the left arm.